collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by JTJ3
[Today at 04:54:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Anyone with an EV?  (Read 8209 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Anyone with an EV?
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2021, 08:46:21 AM »

But there is no way I'm spending more on my next car than I did on my first house. It would be one thing if I had to ... but I don't. There are lots of very nice vehicles available for waaaay under $40K.

I still like to brag about how truly fortunate I was 3 years ago to find a 2003 V-8 Explorer with only 75K miles to serve as our tow vehicle replacing the old one that gave up the ghost at 200K.  Didn't even have to change out any of my hitches!  I paid $6,500. 

She's our lone Wisconsin plated vehicle and likes her life living at the lake.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2021, 09:08:21 AM »
I still like to brag about how truly fortunate I was 3 years ago to find a 2003 V-8 Explorer with only 75K miles to serve as our tow vehicle replacing the old one that gave up the ghost at 200K.  Didn't even have to change out any of my hitches!  I paid $6,500. 

She sounds lucky!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2021, 10:24:01 AM »
In Indianapolis, our neighbor drives her model Y daily about 30 miles. Fills up every night. Cost is $6/month

Well, that is definitely way better than the $50 I spent this morning to fill the gas tank.  And that's a weekly cost.  Thanks.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2021, 10:26:25 AM »

My 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer has 220,000 miles and is still going.  My kids mostly drive the car.  I drive on the Transfer Station runs.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2021, 10:41:58 AM »
My 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer has 220,000 miles and is still going.  My kids mostly drive the car.  I drive on the Transfer Station runs.

My family has a 1999 Expedition that's now fondly referred to as "The Beast".  Its got like 150K miles on it and has needed shockingly little work done on it.  Its been in 2 significant accidents, but the majority of the damage was structural to the frame and body, which was repaired.  I regularly drove it 800 miles roundtrip to Ohio and back 4-5 times a year in the mid to late 2000s.  But then it spent awhile as a secondary vehicle or workhouse for hauling or picking up big stuff.  But the last 18 months, its gotten a second life as a daily driver due to my Fiancee coming to the Midwest and needing a vehicle during COVID while we debated a new vehicle.  And its been remarkable.  Its loud, its a behemoth that could be better on gas, but its remarkably sound for a 20+ year old monster.

WI_Inferiority_Complexes1

• Walk-On
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2021, 11:58:23 AM »
A long time.  Computer chip shortage that has no end in sight.
We have been told “at least thru the end of ‘21.”

I sell used vehicles to a lot of neighbors, referrals, previous customers, etc. There is a legitimate worry about selling a vehicle for $15k this year that you know would’ve retailed for $10k last year. The sales floor keeps referencing the “cliff” we are all eventually going to fall off.

(This is more “Used Car Market” than “EV” thread), but it is also astonishing that the banks are beginning to accept these prices. I sold a 3 -year old Silverado which had an original MSRP of $45k which “booked-out” (NADA wholesale) for $41k— more than the customer paid originally.

Essentially any customer with a 600 FICO, a job, and $2k down (from the two vacations they had to skip, stimulus checks, monies saved from not going out, etc) will get approved to take on very, very high car notes.

If you are financing a pre-owned vehicle in the near future, think long and hard about buying GAP.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 12:12:29 PM by WI_Inferiority_Complexes1 »

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2021, 11:59:50 AM »
Legs looks pretty snappy in his beret, driving his ‘Lectric car. 🤣

I won’t own one for a while, but the 0-60 you get in a high end Tesla or a new mustang is impressive.

Legs doffs beret to chili

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2021, 12:43:51 PM »

I know this is a bit off topic, but the US has considered oil a important resource to secure globally.  It's high time we considered computer chip manufacturing as a critical national security priority.

WI_Inferiority_Complexes1

• Walk-On
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2021, 01:07:01 PM »
I know this is a bit off topic, but the US has considered oil a important resource to secure globally.  It's high time we considered computer chip manufacturing as a critical national security priority.
It’s been a good few months to be a car salesman. We don’t need things to change that quickly.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2021, 01:38:43 PM »

Better hope all the rumblings about TSM and attempted takeovers and potential movement of manufacturing to mainland China remain rumblings.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2021, 03:42:29 PM »
Legs doffs beret to chili

You'll be looking good in that beret this fall stuffing the pie hole with bacon, brisket, and bourbon.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2021, 04:40:58 PM »
You'll be looking good in that beret this fall stuffing the pie hole with bacon, brisket, and bourbon.

Don't forget he'll be donning his wispy neck square.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2021, 09:15:18 PM »

The president is trying to get this included in any infrastructure bill.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2021, 10:23:49 PM »
The president is trying to get this included in any infrastructure bill.

What do chips have to do with roads and bridges?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2021, 10:41:58 PM »

The same amount as loads of stuff that was shoved into COVID relief bills by both sides.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2021, 12:03:17 AM »

Pork rinds, hey?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2021, 10:48:58 AM »
How often do you drive 300 miles at once? And speed of charging is overrated unless you're unable to charge at home

The point is I can and after a quick 3-4 minute fill-up I can go another 300 miles. This is the only downside for me; I have nothing against EVs. If you commute a short distance then an EV makes sense, but EV owners should not get a free pass; they should pay a "fuel" tax as well to pay for road/overpass/tunnel maintenance and construction.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2021, 02:20:53 PM »
The point is I can and after a quick 3-4 minute fill-up I can go another 300 miles. This is the only downside for me; I have nothing against EVs. If you commute a short distance then an EV makes sense, but EV owners should not get a free pass; they should pay a "fuel" tax as well to pay for road/overpass/tunnel maintenance and construction.

You realize nearly every state charges a hybrid or ev tax on registration to make up for lost fuel taxes? And it's frequently significantly higher than what the average citizen pays in fuel tax.

Spare me the outrage.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2021, 02:30:11 PM »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2021, 02:39:55 PM »
You realize nearly every state charges a hybrid or ev tax on registration to make up for lost fuel taxes? And it's frequently significantly higher than what the average citizen pays in fuel tax.

Spare me the outrage.

I didn't know that.

No outrage here, but I live in Ohio which is among those with the highest fee ($200). That's less than I pay per year in fuel taxes (although I drive more than the average, I'm sure).
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2021, 05:16:30 PM »

Should infrastructure be limited to roads and bridges?

The "internet highway" is arguably more important.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2021, 06:21:06 PM »
I didn't know that.

No outrage here, but I live in Ohio which is among those with the highest fee ($200). That's less than I pay per year in fuel taxes (although I drive more than the average, I'm sure).

Ya. It's interesting, for sure.

I did a quick google search. Ohio EV registration fee is $200. Ohio gas tax is .385 cents per gallon. So, if you drove a 25mpg car 15,000 miles per year, you'd pay $231 in taxes.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2021, 09:24:59 PM »
Ya. It's interesting, for sure.

I did a quick google search. Ohio EV registration fee is $200. Ohio gas tax is .385 cents per gallon. So, if you drove a 25mpg car 15,000 miles per year, you'd pay $231 in taxes.

$231 plus the registration fee.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2021, 06:44:56 PM »

I sell used vehicles to a lot of neighbors, referrals, previous customers, etc. There is a legitimate worry about selling a vehicle for $15k this year that you know would’ve retailed for $10k last year. The sales floor keeps referencing the “cliff” we are all eventually going to fall off.

(This is more “Used Car Market” than “EV” thread), but it is also astonishing that the banks are beginning to accept these prices. I sold a 3 -year old Silverado which had an original MSRP of $45k which “booked-out” (NADA wholesale) for $41k— more than the customer paid originally.

Essentially any customer with a 600 FICO, a job, and $2k down (from the two vacations they had to skip, stimulus checks, monies saved from not going out, etc) will get approved to take on very, very high car notes.

If you are financing a pre-owned vehicle in the near future, think long and hard about buying GAP.

have an '06 H3  white, loaded, 122,000 original miles  took it down to arizona in 2010.  auto traders car gurus et. al are showing other H3's with more miles to be going for $12k+  want to either trade it in for a sahara unlimited or sell it ourselves

don't...don't don't don't don't

reinko

• All American
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2021, 07:16:32 PM »
have an '06 H3  white, loaded, 122,000 original miles  took it down to arizona in 2010.  auto traders car gurus et. al are showing other H3's with more miles to be going for $12k+  want to either trade it in for a sahara unlimited or sell it ourselves

Ya strike me as guy who drives a white hummer.

feedback