[Today at 03:29:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Shaka Smart, Relationships and Trouble in Madison  (Read 26262 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Shaka Smart, Relationships and Trouble in Madison
« Reply #175 on: June 24, 2021, 12:19:33 PM »
Getting into literal fistfights with your players, and giving the NCAA the middle finger suggest a "my way or the highway" mentality.  Are there other mentalities in that era too? Sure, "my teams are arrogant and obnoxious" is a pretty good summary, but "I don't discuss basketball, I dictate basketball" is very much similar to a "mworth" mindset.

The horse is dead. Quit beating it. You’re just channeling Chico -arguing just to argue. And believe me, Lenny has forgotten more about Al than you’ve ever known about Al.

Al’s only “my way or the highway” was on the defensive end of the floor. He otherwise encouraged individuality in almost every other facet of his coaching and leadership.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #176 on: June 24, 2021, 12:51:39 PM »
The horse is dead. Quit beating it. You’re just channeling Chico -arguing just to argue. And believe me, Lenny has forgotten more about Al than you’ve ever known about Al.

Al’s only “my way or the highway” was on the defensive end of the floor. He otherwise encouraged individuality in almost every other facet of his coaching and leadership.

It's a hypothetical, in the offseason.  You are by no means required to read or participate in the discussion. 

Lenny almost certainly knows more about Al than I do, that does not mean that Lenny would know what would go through Al's head today.  Neither do you, and neither do I. 

As for your last statement, that is certainly your opinion, there is evidence to both support and refute that opinion.  When Bo approached him about designing the unis, he encouraged him, when Bernard approached him about playing more he tackled him.

For the record, a "my way or the highway" mindset for a coach is not exactly a slight.  Sure you get input from players/coaches/AD's, but in any position (not just coaching), if the buck stops with you, you should and do get the final say on just about everything. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #177 on: June 24, 2021, 01:14:30 PM »
Ok time to shift to Wojo is my way or the highway and he chose the highway.
Goal is National Championship

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #178 on: June 24, 2021, 01:16:22 PM »
Ok time to shift to Wojo is my way or the highway and he chose the highway.

Is this verified or is it just an accepted rumor?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #179 on: June 24, 2021, 04:32:47 PM »
One of the reasons he wasn't a "lifer" is because he wanted to make more money, which is why he left for Medalist in the first place.  It would be a lot harder for him to walk away from the salaries he would be making in either college or NBA now.

All true. Also true that Al didn’t love coaching basketball like many of his contemporaries. Best guess? He would have coached longer and almost for sure in the NBA - but I still don’t think he would have been a lifer. Just not who he was imo.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #180 on: June 24, 2021, 05:25:07 PM »
Is this verified or is it just an accepted rumor?
WTF, this is Scoop!!!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #181 on: June 25, 2021, 08:12:34 AM »
WTF, this is Scoop!!!

Scoop posts are required to list complete bibliographies.  Examples are:

Ners, Dawson, et al (2014). "Slam Dunk: An Endless Loop of a Frustrated Point Guard's Theories."  Helfaer Press

Chicos, Warrior Dad, Hoopaloop, et al (1992-2021).  "Seven Years to Judge: The Traditional  Stories of Rubbing Countless Elbows of Almost Famous C List Celebrities."  The Other Shoe to Drop Press.

Anonymous (2008-2021).  "Who Sliced the Meat?  How My Career as a Sandwich Assembler Prepared Me for QAnon Success". Twice Flushed Press
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 08:16:58 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #182 on: June 25, 2021, 08:18:11 AM »

Ners, Dawson, et al (2014). "Slam Dunk: An Endless Loop of a Frustrated Point Guard's Theories."  Helfaer Press

Chicos, Warrior Dad, Hoopaloop, et al (1992-2021).  "Seven Years to Judge: The Traditional  Stories of Rubbing Countless Elbows of Almost Famous C List Celebrities."  The Other Shoe to Drop Press.

Anonymous (2008-2021).  "Who Sliced the Meat?  How My Career as a Sandwich Assembler Prepared Me for QAnon Success". Twice Flushed Press

Brilliant.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #183 on: June 25, 2021, 09:33:08 AM »

OMG!  LOL!

The Doctor is in!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 09:36:12 AM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #184 on: June 25, 2021, 09:34:32 AM »

this is an all-timer

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #185 on: June 25, 2021, 09:43:33 AM »

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #186 on: June 25, 2021, 09:45:10 AM »

To think I only pay $199.99 / Month for this website.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #187 on: June 25, 2021, 09:47:31 AM »
Totally disagree, the NBA is work, Al did not really like to work, barely made it to practices.  Was a free spirit.  Secondly,  Al was all about making money.  The money
in college for good or even bad coaches (Wojo) now is tremendous.  Perks all over the place.  Al with his own MU airplane, who knows where we would have gone.

This article would say otherwise... https://behindthebuckpass.com/2020/03/24/milwaukee-bucks-pursuit-hire-al-mcguire-expansion-season/

One of my favorite Al quotes, "The priests at Marquette take a vow of poverty,” he said somewhat bitterly, “and they expect you to abide by it.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #188 on: June 25, 2021, 09:49:44 AM »
Dr. B drops the mic.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #189 on: June 25, 2021, 09:50:58 AM »

Perfection

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #190 on: June 25, 2021, 10:59:16 AM »

Total respect brother Blackheart

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #191 on: June 25, 2021, 11:08:46 AM »
Total respect brother Blackheart

Blackheart (2021). "Don't Believe the Experts: Day-drinking Is Healthy".  My Life on a Jimmy John's Napkin Press.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #192 on: June 25, 2021, 11:13:05 AM »
Blackheart (2021). "Don't Believe the Experts: Day-drinking Is Healthy".  My Life on a Jimmy John's Napkin Press.

Now y'all are just showin' off!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #193 on: June 25, 2021, 12:26:44 PM »

The Lens (2021). "My Life in Teal: Scoop is best enjoyed BUZZed". Turners-Mike Deane's Teal-Colored Glasses Press.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #194 on: June 30, 2021, 09:00:58 PM »

Excellent
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Viper

• All American
« Reply #195 on: July 01, 2021, 08:04:38 AM »
This article would say otherwise... https://behindthebuckpass.com/2020/03/24/milwaukee-bucks-pursuit-hire-al-mcguire-expansion-season/

One of my favorite Al quotes, "The priests at Marquette take a vow of poverty,” he said somewhat bitterly, “and they expect you to abide by it.”
…Kevin O’Neill would agree
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

wadesworld

• All American
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #198 on: August 02, 2021, 02:53:33 PM »
TL;DR if anyone wants it: Potrykus writes exactly what UW Athletic Department asks him to.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #199 on: August 02, 2021, 03:05:20 PM »
TL;DR if anyone wants it: Potrykus writes exactly what UW Athletic Department asks him to.

Bingo.  There’s probably more to the story but you’d have to get it from an outside source.  Potrykus is a Gard apologist of the highest degree.  Gard would have to shoot a player at mid court and even then, I’m not sure JayPo would criticize him
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”