[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka Smart, Relationships and Trouble in Madison  (Read 26497 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Shaka Smart, Relationships and Trouble in Madison
« Reply #125 on: June 23, 2021, 02:59:14 PM »
Is he? I mean, I get that it's all schtick, but I don't think his character's musings are all that different from those of 4ever IRL. Just spelled worse.
If he's playing a character, it's a semi-autobiographical role.

fair

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #126 on: June 23, 2021, 03:03:03 PM »
Is he? I mean, I get that it's all schtick, but I don't think his character's musings are all that different from those of 4ever IRL. Just spelled worse.
This, hiding behind the curtain.
Goal is National Championship

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #127 on: June 23, 2021, 03:38:18 PM »
Not hiding at all. He's told us who he is a million times. He just has the unfunniest schtick of all time to go with it.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #128 on: June 23, 2021, 03:46:43 PM »
If you see the transfer portal as some boogey man that just takes your kids, you're not going to be very successful in anything, much less, college basketball.  Al would have thrived today, just as I feel Shaka will.

Yep, yep.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #129 on: June 23, 2021, 03:50:37 PM »
Not hiding at all. He's told us who he is a million times. He just has the unfunniest schtick of all time to go with it.
Well he tries kind of

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #130 on: June 23, 2021, 03:51:47 PM »
Save the civil war stuff for Gerg Grad and the Bagder fans, aina?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #131 on: June 23, 2021, 04:30:13 PM »
Maybe, but Al would have had to make a ton of adjustments.  So many so, that I think he would have rather not coached than coach the way is currently necessary.

My favorite Al quote is: I may not agree with everything they say or do, but at least I'm smart enough to consider maybe I could be wrong and they could be right.

Guys who think like that, they make adjustments easily. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #132 on: June 23, 2021, 04:35:50 PM »
My favorite Al quote is: I may not agree with everything they say or do, but at least I'm smart enough to consider maybe I could be wrong and they could be right.

Guys who think like that, they make adjustments easily.

I'm not questioning whether he could, I questioning whether he would.  There's a lot of stuff Al did that wouldn't fly in today's game.  I just doubt that he would be willing to deal with all that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #133 on: June 23, 2021, 05:03:58 PM »
I'm not questioning whether he could, I questioning whether he would.  There's a lot of stuff Al did that wouldn't fly in today's game.  I just doubt that he would be willing to deal with all that.

It's impossible to know for sure, but assuming he wanted to coach at Marquette, or anywhere in college, or even in the pros for that matter, he'd have to at least try.

This ain't the 70s or 80s or even 90s. You can't scream at your players 24/7, you can't choke them, and you can't get into fistfights with them. So if you want to coach in the 2020s, you need to know how to relate to them. If you can't, there are thousands of other occupations out there.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2021, 05:13:15 PM »
It's impossible to know for sure, but assuming he wanted to coach at Marquette, or anywhere in college, or even in the pros for that matter, he'd have to at least try.

This ain't the 70s or 80s or even 90s. You can't scream at your players 24/7, you can't choke them, and you can't get into fistfights with them. So if you want to coach in the 2020s, you need to know how to relate to them. If you can't, there are thousands of other occupations out there.

That's the thing, I doubt that he'd want to.  Al was the definition of a "my way or the highway" kind of guy. If he had to deal with all the stuff that he would, I think he'd absolutely walk away with a "I don't need this" kind of mindset. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #135 on: June 23, 2021, 05:39:05 PM »
That's the thing, I doubt that he'd want to.  Al was the definition of a "my way or the highway" kind of guy. If he had to deal with all the stuff that he would, I think he'd absolutely walk away with a "I don't need this" kind of mindset.

I happen to think he'd have adjusted because he'd have been "of this time." But again, we'll never know.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #136 on: June 23, 2021, 05:41:16 PM »
I remember Jimmy Butler telling how after a few weeks in Milwaukee he called his stepmother and begged her to send him the $ to get back to Houston because Buzz wasn't respectful to him, did not like him, and would yell at him. His stepmother told him if he wanted to quit he would have to pay for the flight.

A few summers ago a friend of mine ran into Jimmy in rural France and asked him  if he stayed in touch with Buzz. Jimmy said "We talk and we text all the time".

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #137 on: June 23, 2021, 05:44:43 PM »
I happen to think he'd have adjusted because he'd have been "of this time." But again, we'll never know.

On the court stuff (3 point line, shot clock, shortened shot clock, block/charge adjustments, freedom of movement rules, etc.) I think he'd have been fine.  Program running stuff (transfer culture, recruiting culture, AAU connection importance, shoe company connections, etc.), I think he'd take one look at, and decide it's not worth it.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #138 on: June 23, 2021, 06:37:26 PM »
I think he would have been more comfortable at NBA level now

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #139 on: June 23, 2021, 06:53:55 PM »
Maybe, but Al would have had to make a ton of adjustments.  So many so, that I think he would have rather not coached than coach the way is currently necessary.
But that was my point...he was ahead of his time then...why wouldn't he be now.  To say Bobby Knight wouldn't thrive today is probably legit..."old school", refused to change, not politically correct, etc.   Al was ahead of his time and used an unwillingness by others to change, especially around race and individual identity, to beat the competition.  I also think he also had a good heart and knew he was imperfect...that was sincere and appreciated. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #140 on: June 23, 2021, 06:55:58 PM »
I think he would have been more comfortable at NBA level now
He wanted to be with the Bucks and MU wouldn't let him leave?  Is that correct?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #141 on: June 23, 2021, 07:06:54 PM »

Totally disagree, the NBA is work, Al did not really like to work, barely made it to practices.  Was a free spirit.  Secondly,  Al was all about making money.  The money
in college for good or even bad coaches (Wojo) now is tremendous.  Perks all over the place.  Al with his own MU airplane, who knows where we would have gone.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #142 on: June 23, 2021, 07:08:30 PM »
Yes Jesuits didn't allow he got upset

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2021, 07:25:02 PM »
The inability of so many Scoopers to think contextually never ceases to amaze me. Al McGuire loved his guys and fought for his guys but he was the boss, a disciplinarian. What that meant in the late 1960s and the 1970s is not the exact same thing that it means now. Al was born (I think) in1930 and was between 34 and 47 when he coached at Marquette. So if he was mid career at MU now he would be 41, born in 1980. Does anyone honestly believe that the Al McGuire born in 1930 would have exactly the same style as an Al McGuire born 50 years later? His teams would still be tough and disciplined. He would still be a character who could work a room. His players would still love him. But fistfights in locker rooms? That wouldn’t have been part of his experience as a player or a coach. Why some people don’t get that baffles me.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2021, 07:30:24 PM »
The inability of so many Scoopers to think contextually never ceases to amaze me. Al McGuire loved his guys and fought for his guys but he was the boss, a disciplinarian. What that meant in the late 1960s and the 1970s is not the exact same thing that it means now. Al was born (I think) in1930 and was between 34 and 47 when he coached at Marquette. So if he was mid career at MU now he would be 41, born in 1980. Does anyone honestly believe that the Al McGuire born in 1930 would have exactly the same style as an Al McGuire born 50 years later? His teams would still be tough and disciplined. He would still be a character who could work a room. His players would still love him. But fistfights in locker rooms? That wouldn’t have been part of his experience as a player or a coach. Why some people don’t get that baffles me.

Agreed.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #145 on: June 23, 2021, 07:57:43 PM »

And it amazes me that scoopers think that they guy that said "F you NCAA, I don't like the seed you gave me so I'm going to go win the NIT instead" would jump through all the hoops of dealing with the AAU circuit, dealing with shoe companies, dealing with boosters, dealing with players parents acting as agents for their 18 year old kids.

Also, a trade mark of Al's teams were that the upperclassmen ran the show. It wasnt just that Freshman couldn't play, it was that he ran with his older guys, always. Convincing kids to not play/marginally play until their Juniors can't be done the way it was in his day.

Further, imagine how how both the fans and boosters would react to finding out that the head coach is not only not running practice, but hes doing a completely unrelated motorcycle ride instead.

Al was truly a legend of his time, but part of the reason he walked away was because he saw the way the game was heading. Theres no shame in saying that and it doesn't diminish his legacy at all.

All IMO of course.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #146 on: June 23, 2021, 08:28:42 PM »

True, Pakuni, and a good observation. If your supposition is true (and I think it is), then both are vacuous and inane. Sticking with that tired schtick for so long indicates neurosis.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #147 on: June 23, 2021, 08:33:05 PM »
And it amazes me that scoopers think that they guy that said "F you NCAA, I don't like the seed you gave me so I'm going to go win the NIT instead" would jump through all the hoops of dealing with the AAU circuit, dealing with shoe companies, dealing with boosters, dealing with players parents acting as agents for their 18 year old kids.

Also, a trade mark of Al's teams were that the upperclassmen ran the show. It wasnt just that Freshman couldn't play, it was that he ran with his older guys, always. Convincing kids to not play/marginally play until their Juniors can't be done the way it was in his day.

Further, imagine how how both the fans and boosters would react to finding out that the head coach is not only not running practice, but hes doing a completely unrelated motorcycle ride instead.

Al was truly a legend of his time, but part of the reason he walked away was because he saw the way the game was heading. Theres no shame in saying that and it doesn't diminish his legacy at all.

All IMO of course.

I actually agree with you, too.

What I said was that I think Al would have adjusted ... but that if he didn't, he'd have had to find another profession.

And it wouldn't have been pro basketball, either, if he couldn't handle dealing with college kids.

But what I think Lenny is saying (and I'm agreeing with) is the "old Al" wouldn't have existed in that exact form today. Every coach is an authoritarian and a control freak. Back then, 30 years earlier, today, whenever. Al still would have been, but maybe he'd have been more Buzz-like than Knight-like, if you understand what I'm saying.

If Al didn't coach today, I actually think it would have been because he didn't want to work the crazy hours they have to now, not because he couldn't have gotten along with today's kids. I think he'd have been great at that part of it.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #148 on: June 23, 2021, 08:38:18 PM »

Sounds like we mostly agree.  For the 2 hours twice a week on the court during the season, Al would continue to be exceptional. The rest of the time I think he would grow tired of the "other" BS real quick.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #149 on: June 23, 2021, 08:43:22 PM »
On the court stuff (3 point line, shot clock, shortened shot clock, block/charge adjustments, freedom of movement rules, etc.) I think he'd have been fine.  Program running stuff (transfer culture, recruiting culture, AAU connection importance, shoe company connections, etc.), I think he'd take one look at, and decide it's not worth it.

Lol, are you kidding me?  Al was an edge guy.  And he always knew how to find the edge.  The more chaos, the better. 

And honestly, if you didn’t know Al, or you don’t know someone who did, it might be time to sit this one out. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

feedback