[Today at 08:43:00 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka Smart, Relationships and Trouble in Madison  (Read 26572 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Shaka Smart, Relationships and Trouble in Madison
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2021, 01:54:07 PM »
As of several years ago, I believe that Virginia was the only state that allowed a conversation to be legally recorded without the knowledge of one party. Way back in the Clinton era, that's why Linda Tripp invited Monica Lewinsky to join her in Virginia rather than Maryland or DC to meet up so she could legally record what Monica said. As you have said, it's illegal in many (maybe 49) states and you can be charged with a crime and probably sued.

Here's a list of one-party vs two-party consent states.

https://www.justia.com/50-state-surveys/recording-phone-calls-and-conversations/

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2021, 02:00:23 PM »
This is potentially bad advice.
Best to check the laws in your state first. Several states  - California, Illinois, Florida and Pennsylvania among them - require "two-party" consent to record a conversation, i.e. everyone involved has to know they're being recorded.
Had this occurred in Michigan instead of Wisconsin, the person who recorded the meeting would have been guilty of a crime (presuming here, as seems to be the case, that Gard was unaware he was being recorded).

Yes, I should have added that you should know the laws in your state before doing that.

As of several years ago, I believe that Virginia was the only state that allowed a conversation to be legally recorded without the knowledge of one party. Way back in the Clinton era, that's why Linda Tripp invited Monica Lewinsky to join her in Virginia rather than Maryland or DC to meet up so she could legally record what Monica said. As you have said, it's illegal in many (maybe 49) states and you can be charged with a crime and probably sued.

I think you have some facts twisted. Some states require "two-party consent" meaning all parties in the conversation must be aware that they are being recorded.

Most states are "one-party consent" states, meaning only one person in the conversation needs to be aware of the recording. This prevents an unknown third party from recording a private conversation but allows for members of that conversation to record it even if the others in the conversation are not aware of the recording.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 02:02:22 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2021, 02:02:53 PM »
Greg Gard is a fraud
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2021, 02:08:20 PM »
More people should record meetings. It's the best way to protect yourself.

It wouldn't have done a thing to save Joey when Brad Davison came running by.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2021, 02:11:11 PM »
In what context?

Anderson talking about how good their relationship and his was with his dad compared to Gard.

Two different people mentioned the Marquette loss, which is hilarious cause their fans think MU is a mid major/ nobody. (Rent free now, I guess).

More importantly, it shows how much some people were going through mental health wise during the pandemic. To me anyway, it’s hard to listen to Reuvers especially, all of the stuff that was going on. I really feel for them.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2021, 02:11:52 PM »
Thanks for the clarification TAMU.

Anyway, the point is check out the state laws before recording a conversation. I think that "ignorance of the law is no excuse" applies everywhere. 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2021, 02:16:51 PM »
Dekkar's right.

Those players have all the toughness of 5th grade girls.  Probably less.

So is Drakkar, but more pleasant smelling

Did you just admit that you know what fifth grade girls smell like?

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2021, 02:18:19 PM »
This is such a delicious story on so many levels, I hardly know where to start. But I do know one thing. This is not your garden variety "coach may have a mutiny on his hands story". This is going to linger and fester and I think eventually cost Gard his job. May take a year or two.

I'm 67 and pretty much only ask for about 5 more things to check off the list:

1. Get to Heaven.

2. Maintain reasonable health in remaining years.

3. Hold the dice for 1 hour straight on a $25 craps table.

4. Watch Marquette win National Championship--again.

5. Watch UW basketball program implode.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2021, 02:18:32 PM »
Yes, I should have added that you should know the laws in your state before doing that.

I think you have some facts twisted. Some states require "two-party consent" meaning all parties in the conversation must be aware that they are being recorded.

Most states are "one-party consent" states, meaning only one person in the conversation needs to be aware of the recording. This prevents an unknown third party from recording a private conversation but allows for members of that conversation to record it even if the others in the conversation are not aware of the recording.

Not my area of law. But say Alando Tucker did record this, and did not speak in the conversation. Is he a part of the conversation, so the "one-party" is covered. Or is akin to sitting at a table in a restaurant, and recording their conversation?

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2021, 02:19:05 PM »

It's only against the law in Illinois when the unknowing party "has a reasonable expectation of privacy".  Illinois politicians know that they need to protect themselves.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2021, 02:19:18 PM »
This is such a delicious story on so many levels, I hardly know where to start. But I do know one thing. This is not your garden variety "coach may have a mutiny on his hands story". This is going to linger and fester and I think eventually cost Gard his job. May take a year or two.

I'm 67 and pretty much only ask for about 5 more things to check off the list:

1. Get to Heaven.

2. Maintain reasonable health in remaining years.

3. Hold the dice for 1 hour straight on a $25 craps table.

4. Watch Marquette win National Championship--again.

5. Watch UW basketball program implode.

I would rather give Gard a lifetime contract than him lose his job.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2021, 02:20:57 PM »
Anderson talking about how good their relationship and his was with his dad compared to Gard.

Two different people mentioned the Marquette loss, which is hilarious cause their fans think MU is a mid major/ nobody. (Rent free now, I guess).

More importantly, it shows how much some people were going through mental health wise during the pandemic. To me anyway, it’s hard to listen to Reuvers especially, all of the stuff that was going on. I really feel for them.

In what context? Can you point to the time stamps? I just really don't want to listen for 37min
Maigh Eo for Sam

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2021, 02:25:28 PM »
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2021, 02:37:27 PM »

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2021, 02:39:17 PM »
A couple things.  Dekker seems to assume that one of the players was the source of the audio which isn't proven and most Badger insiders believe Alando Tucker did this on his way out as an assistant coach.  So to call out the players over something that was supposed to be a private conversation is entirely unfair on Dekker's part IMO.  Additionally, players having grievances with their coach isn't anything new and stuff like this happens all the time. 

But to me what makes this different is it confirms what Greg Gard said about the transfer portal that prompted the reaction from Koby McEwan and others.  If Greg Gard's own players believe he doesn't care about them and he then state's that players shouldn't transfer if they are unhappy because it makes it more difficult for him to coach, perhaps we should connect the dots about what Greg Gard thinks of his players and the college athlete.  Keep in mind his comments regarding the transfer portal would've come after this player meeting.

That's interesting if Alando Tucker released the tape. I was curious why he was let go and replaced without much news about it. Not related, but Howard Moore is no longer on their team page either (he was on the website for the past 1.5 years).

When I saw this story drop, my initial thought was that this paves the way for the new Athletic Director to fire Gard and start fresh with his own guy. Given the way Gard got the job, it wouldn't surprise me if the new AD wanted to move away from the the legacies/politics of Barry Alvarez and Bo Ryan.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2021, 02:50:17 PM »
In what context? Can you point to the time stamps? I just really don't want to listen for 37min

Same.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2021, 02:59:12 PM »

That's interesting if Alando Tucker released the tape. I was curious why he was let go and replaced without much news about it. Not related, but Howard Moore is no longer on their team page either (he was on the website for the past 1.5 years).

When I saw this story drop, my initial thought was that this paves the way for the new Athletic Director to fire Gard and start fresh with his own guy. Given the way Gard got the job, it wouldn't surprise me if the new AD wanted to move away from the the legacies/politics of Barry Alvarez and Bo Ryan.

And Alando Tucker was sole men's BB representative on the search committee for the new AD... 

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2021, 02:59:28 PM »
Which, this one?

Must have been - link says tweet is unavailable
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2021, 03:00:08 PM »

Knowing the nature of the UW Athletic Department, I don't think they have any desire to replace Greg Gard right now.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2021, 03:04:51 PM »
About MU…

Anderson noting he got sh$t from “frat guys” after the loss.

Someone mentioning that Potter got blamed for not boxing out on the final play. Can’t remember what context it was in.

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2021, 03:05:31 PM »
Alvarez 100% behind Gard...

https://twitter.com/BadgerMBB/status/1407410666940608518

I might have sided with the players if they had a beef with the way Gard coached and told him so.  But this ridiculous, laughable, touchy/feely "you don't care about me" is just players wanting to be babied and coddled.  It is very indicative of this time, though.

When I played HS sports at Arrowhead, I had a very successful coach who was a total hard ass, but it never would have occurred to me to be worried if he "cared" about me.  The guy did a great job and that was all that mattered.

BTW, it's not a good look at all to edit out Gard's  comments from the meeting.  We all know that if he had said something that could be used against him, the remarks would have been included.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2021, 03:09:42 PM »
More people should record meetings. It's the best way to protect yourself.

No offense, but no. Just...no.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2021, 03:10:03 PM »

I might have sided with the players if they had a beef with the way Gard coached and told him so.  But this ridiculous, laughable, touchy/feely "you don't care about me" is just players wanting to be babied and coddled.  It is very indicative of this time, though.

When I played HS sports at Arrowhead, I had a very successful coach who was a total hard ass, but it never would have occurred to me to be worried if he "cared" about me.  The guy did a great job and that was all that mattered.

BTW, it's not a good look at all to edit out Gard's  comments from the meeting.  We all know that if he had said something that could be used against him, the remarks would have been included.

Actually, we don't KNOW.  They may have been edited out because they didn't have Gard's permission to use them.  But I don't KNOW that, I can admit that I'm only speculating.

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2021, 03:13:00 PM »

Oh here we go.  We are going to make this a global "sign of the times" now.

When I played HS sports at Arrowhead...

::) ::) ::)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2021, 03:24:18 PM »

Yeah because you played high school sports you totally get how tough it was for college athletes in a Covid year and earned the right to call them soft.
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback