[Today at 10:43:30 AM]

NCSTATE is evil by tower912
[Today at 10:37:58 AM]

Where is Marquette? by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 10:10:34 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-22 College Football thread  (Read 63622 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
Re: 2021-22 College Football thread
« Reply #800 on: December 10, 2021, 03:32:04 PM »
Kalani Sitake signs a new deal to remain at BYU through 2027. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #801 on: December 10, 2021, 09:33:10 PM »
Sounds like Oregon was talking to him.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #802 on: December 11, 2021, 03:42:58 PM »
I get why people like the pagentry and history of Army / Navy.  But man the games can be terrible at times.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #803 on: December 11, 2021, 04:18:22 PM »
Georgia defensive coordinator Dan Lanning is set to take over as coach at Oregon.

Just fired Miami coach (Manny Diaz) to be the  new DC at Penn State.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #804 on: December 12, 2021, 02:25:27 PM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #805 on: December 12, 2021, 03:27:46 PM »
Georgia defensive coordinator Dan Lanning is set to take over as coach at Oregon.

Just fired Miami coach (Manny Diaz) to be the  new DC at Penn State.

Kind of a crazy hire IMO.  Honestly, Lanning sort of reminds me of Nagy from resume alone.  Very limited high level coaching experience and his greatest successes have been under a master at his side of the ball.  Aka how much of this UGA D is Kirby Smart and how much is Lanning?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #806 on: December 12, 2021, 03:58:04 PM »
Cal coach Justin Wilcox, a UO alum and Oregon native, turned down Oregon.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_canzano/2021/12/canzano-a-twist-justin-wilcox-turned-down-the-oregon-ducks.html

That’s interesting. You have to think Oregon is a better job than Cal. Especially for an alum.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #807 on: December 14, 2021, 07:14:05 AM »
UNC QB Sam Howell, a potential first-round draft pick, on why he's going to play in the Duke Mayo Bowl rather than sit out so he doesn't risk injury:

“(Not playing is) something that definitely makes a lot of sense when you really look at what’s at risk and all that, but I’m here for this team. And I just feel like as a quarterback of this team, and as a leader of this team, it’s just not the right thing. Even if it is the best decision for me and my career to opt out of the game. It’s not about me, people could say I’m in the position where I can be selfish and make that made that decision, but that’s just not who I am.”

Good for him being true to himself. I'd be saying the same thing if he decided not to play.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #808 on: December 14, 2021, 03:14:48 PM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #809 on: December 15, 2021, 11:45:43 AM »
Travis Hunter, the #1 overall prospect in the nation for the 2022 class decommits from Florida State and switches over to Deion Sanders-led Jackson State. That is pretty crazy.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #810 on: December 15, 2021, 12:10:04 PM »
Travis Hunter, the #1 overall prospect in the nation for the 2022 class decommits from Florida State and switches over to Deion Sanders-led Jackson State. That is pretty crazy.

Its not pretty crazy, its absolutely astounding.  Deion signing his son last season was pretty unheard of given his ranking.  But a legit top 10 recruit choosing an FCS school, and not one named NDSU or Sam Houston St?  Incredible and without comparison in the modern recruiting ranking era.

NIL has a good chunk to do with it, but Deion is doing some really impressive stuff down there.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #811 on: December 15, 2021, 12:22:02 PM »

That's cool.

I wonder what Deion's career aspirations are. I haven't heard him talk about them. Does he aspire to coach at a Florida State, or does he love where he is and believe he can have a bigger impact there?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #812 on: December 15, 2021, 12:24:30 PM »

Awesome!  Hope the kid got the biggest deal he could
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #813 on: December 15, 2021, 12:32:01 PM »
That's cool.

I wonder what Deion's career aspirations are. I haven't heard him talk about them. Does he aspire to coach at a Florida State, or does he love where he is and believe he can have a bigger impact there?

I haven't seen him directly speak to it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's happy where he's at.  He can have an impact, coach, but I'm gonna go on a limb and say its not a 100 hour a week job like coaching a major P5 program is.  He did a lot of media before he took the job.  He still has a gig with Barstool where he does podcasts and an NFL show, which he seems to really enjoy.  I think he's in a sweet spot that has minimal expectations so he can deliver big like this and make a splash.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #814 on: December 15, 2021, 02:39:01 PM »
Mike Norvell is a dead man walking and Deion will be the next coach at FSU. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #815 on: December 15, 2021, 03:06:36 PM »
Awesome!  Hope the kid got the biggest deal he could

would you say the same if a nothing school bought off MU's top commitment (or poached, say, Justin Lewis) with a promise of NIL money in violation of state law?

Taking the money and going to an HBCU worked well for Makur Maker.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #816 on: December 15, 2021, 03:08:35 PM »
would you say the same if a nothing school bought off MU's top commitment (or poached, say, Justin Lewis) with a promise of NIL money in violation of state law?

Hell, yeah!  Get that bag!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #817 on: December 15, 2021, 03:08:46 PM »
Mike Norvell is a dead man walking and Deion will be the next coach at FSU.

Do we know if Deion wants to make that insane time commitment? What Wags said makes a lot of sense.

I don't have any idea one way or the other, but some people actually are happy where they are. See Mark Few (who wasn't always coaching a dynasty), Bob McKillop, former St. John's football coach John Gagliardi, etc. Not many. It's a small group of coaches who are content where they are, but they do exist.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #818 on: December 15, 2021, 03:09:48 PM »

If a player wants to transfer out of Marquette or change a verbal commitment on signing day due to NIL, that's fine with me.  And any anti-NIL law should be ignored and is likely unenforceable anyway.

Oh I should also add that Marquette should then go out and steal someone else's prospect by showing what NIL could do for them here.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 03:33:08 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #819 on: December 15, 2021, 03:13:49 PM »
Do we know if Deion wants to make that insane time commitment? What Wags said makes a lot of sense.

I don't have any idea one way or the other, but some people actually are happy where they are. See Mark Few (who wasn't always coaching a dynasty), Bob McKillop, former St. John's football coach John Gagliardi, etc. Not many. It's a small group of coaches who are content where they are, but they do exist.

There were rumors that he was lobbying for the job when Taggart was fired.  Rumors he didn't quite deny.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #820 on: December 15, 2021, 03:31:35 PM »
Its not pretty crazy, its absolutely astounding.  Deion signing his son last season was pretty unheard of given his ranking.  But a legit top 10 recruit choosing an FCS school, and not one named NDSU or Sam Houston St?  Incredible and without comparison in the modern recruiting ranking era.

NIL has a good chunk to do with it, but Deion is doing some really impressive stuff down there.

I'm old enough to remember when NIL hand-wringers were saying that all it would do is further concentration of the top players at the top programs.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #821 on: December 15, 2021, 03:39:06 PM »

Maker got injured and didn't play.  That is what went against him.  He wasn't a consensus lottery pick and always had academic/eligibility issues, hence why once he got hurt he went back to Australia to get paid.  Not really a similar situation to this.

Not even just that, money isn't an issue or quest for Deion at this point and he wasn't exactly laser focused on getting into college coaching the first 15 years out of the league.

There were rumors that he was lobbying for the job when Taggart was fired.  Rumors he didn't quite deny.

Counter point, its Prime Time.  The man loves to be in the headlines and in the public eye.  I wouldn't expect him to deny rumors connecting him to being a new judge on American Idol or running for President either.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #822 on: December 15, 2021, 03:57:42 PM »
Maker got injured and didn't play.  That is what went against him.  He wasn't a consensus lottery pick and always had academic/eligibility issues, hence why once he got hurt he went back to Australia to get paid.  Not really a similar situation to this.

Not even just that, money isn't an issue or quest for Deion at this point and he wasn't exactly laser focused on getting into college coaching the first 15 years out of the league.

Counter point, its Prime Time.  The man loves to be in the headlines and in the public eye.  I wouldn't expect him to deny rumors connecting him to being a new judge on American Idol or running for President either.

Well, if he loves to be in the headlines and in the public eye he'd certainly do well for himself to move from Jackson State to Florida State.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #823 on: December 15, 2021, 04:35:04 PM »
That's cool.

Has any coach not loved where he is at and believes he can make a bigger impact.........until they get a better offer?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #824 on: December 15, 2021, 04:55:19 PM »

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks.

Has any coach not loved where he is at and believes he can make a bigger impact.........until they get a better offer?

Yes. I named 3. I'm sure there have been others.