[Today at 10:43:30 AM]

NCSTATE is evil by tower912
[Today at 10:37:58 AM]

Where is Marquette? by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 10:10:34 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-22 College Football thread  (Read 63621 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: 2021-22 College Football thread
« Reply #675 on: December 03, 2021, 06:40:22 PM »
I rather enjoy the fact people who are attacking Kelly for leaving for a better job and ridiculous money most could only dream about wouldn't hesitate more than 30 seconds before doing the same. As one college coach texted to me this morning while sending that clip, "$100 million would change my definition of 'family' really quickly."
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #676 on: December 03, 2021, 06:42:56 PM »
I rather enjoy the fact people who are attacking Kelly for leaving for a better job and ridiculous money most could only dream about wouldn't hesitate more than 30 seconds before doing the same. As one college coach texted to me this morning while sending that clip, "$100 million would change my definition of 'family' really quickly."

Agreed.  It’s also ridiculous when grown men attack kids for transferring and getting mad they don’t have to sit out for a year
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #677 on: December 03, 2021, 06:47:50 PM »

Nobody is attacking him for leaving.  He's just being a clown about it like he always has.  I don't disagree that it was a no brainer.  But that doesn't mean you have to fake an accent.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #678 on: December 03, 2021, 07:20:49 PM »
I haven't seen anyone here criticize Kelly for taking the LSU job other than one poster who thinks ND is the better job
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #679 on: December 03, 2021, 07:52:06 PM »
He's a total jagoff who has been disliked outside of on the field success everywhere he's went.  Gotta try to do something to charm the locals!

He sure comes off as a total jagoff. I (true confession time) lhave a number of ND fans as friends and not one of them can stand the guy.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #681 on: December 03, 2021, 08:48:14 PM »
This is wild.

https://www.columbian.com/news/2021/dec/03/burnt-ends-and-blowing-smoke-brian-kelly-at-vancouver-home-of-notre-dame-recruit-merriweather-when-news-of-lsu-departure-broke/

We've always talked about how it takes a unique personality (and frankly a bit of insanity) to be a major college coach.  I can't even imagine recruiting and I do sales regularly.  But this sort of stuff is just mind blowing.  The disassociation of it all.

I remember feeling weird the first time I left my job for a better position.  It was weird telling my manager who I liked and who was happy for me.  When I came to my current job, we had to work out a 5-6 month lead time to sort some things out.  In that time, at my previous job at Pepsi, I had gotten a new manager who I knew pretty well who promoted me and then went on maternity leave.  I felt kind of weird and guilty working in that situation for awhile knowing I was leaving soon, actually less than a month after she would be back from leave.  And that was being in marketing working in Excel and Powerpoint, not convincing young men to trust me with their futures.  Just wild stuff indeed.

(Billy, this is not a personal criticism of Kelly, even though this is a bad look, again, I frankly think he did the right thing leaving  8-))

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #682 on: December 04, 2021, 06:56:07 AM »
Great atmosphere at the Pac 12 championship game last night.  They moved it to Vegas and it was probably 3/4 Utah fans.  My guess is that they'll be all over Pasadena as well.

And having Mario Christobal as your head coach must be the most infuriating experience.  All the resources in the world, great recruiting, but shi**ting the bed when it matters most.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #683 on: December 04, 2021, 07:16:24 AM »
Great atmosphere at the Pac 12 championship game last night.  They moved it to Vegas and it was probably 3/4 Utah fans.  My guess is that they'll be all over Pasadena as well.

And having Mario Christobal as your head coach must be the most infuriating experience.  All the resources in the world, great recruiting, but shi**ting the bed when it matters most.

He’s 35-13 at Oregon in 4 seasons and is 2-1 in Pac-12 title games and has a Rose Bowl win.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #684 on: December 04, 2021, 07:40:25 AM »
That is a charitable way to frame his tenure at Oregon

He has been their four full years.  In his second year, they indeed had a great year with Justin Herbert as QB.

Last year, they only went to the Pac-12 championship with a 4-3 record because Washington had a COVID outbreak.  Then got hammered by Iowa State in the Fiesta Bowl.

This year they beat Ohio State in September.  Then played a schedule that included only two ranked teams - both were Utah and both were blowout losses.  Oh and they lost to a Stanford team that finished 3-9.

And the last few years the Pac 12 has been historically bad.  Who has been the second best team in the Pac 12 during Christobal's tenure? 

I'm not saying he is a terrible coach or that he should be fired, but this feels how his tenure has played out.  Some good wins, some head scratching losses, and a lot of inconsistent play. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #685 on: December 04, 2021, 07:43:02 AM »
That is a charitable way to frame his tenure at Oregon

He has been their four full years.  In his second year, they indeed had a great year with Justin Herbert as QB.

Last year, they only went to the Pac-12 championship with a 4-3 record because Washington had a COVID outbreak.  Then got hammered by Iowa State in the Fiesta Bowl.

This year they beat Ohio State in September.  Then played a schedule that included only two ranked teams - both were Utah and both were blowout losses.  Oh and they lost to a Stanford team that finished 3-9.

And the last few years the Pac 12 has been historically bad.  Who has been the second best team in the Pac 12 during Christobal's tenure? 

I'm not saying he is a terrible coach or that he should be fired, but this feels how his tenure has played out.  Some good wins, some head scratching losses, and a lot of inconsistent play.

Welcome to college football.  Oregon isn’t a blue blood.  Very good program with a lot of great resources.  A lot of programs would take the last 4 years at Oregon

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #686 on: December 04, 2021, 07:52:20 AM »
Welcome to college football.  Oregon isn’t a blue blood.  Very good program with a lot of great resources.  A lot of programs would take the last 4 years at Oregon

Again, I am not disputing this.  You don't seem to be reading what I am writing.  They are a program that recruits well but at key points of the season, doesn't perform.  And that's more than a "welcome to college football" type of issue.

This is kind of what I mean.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_canzano/2021/12/canzano-another-utah-throttling-of-oregon-ducks-leaves-questions-only-mario-cristobal-can-answer.html

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #687 on: December 04, 2021, 08:00:15 AM »

Again, I am not disputing this.  You don't seem to be reading what I am writing.  They are a program that recruits well but at key points of the season, doesn't perform.  And that's more than a "welcome to college football" type of issue.

This is kind of what I mean.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_canzano/2021/12/canzano-another-utah-throttling-of-oregon-ducks-leaves-questions-only-mario-cristobal-can-answer.html

Maybe Utah is better?  Kyle Whittingham is a pretty good coach, too.  It’s entirely possible Mario Cristobal recognizes this and will adjust accordingly. 

I get what you’re saying.  I disagree.  Two years ago, they didn’t have any late season issues.  I suppose we can give all the credit to Justin Herbert if that’s the narrative we want.  I’d probably be more concerned if they had lost two games late that season versus this.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #688 on: December 04, 2021, 08:08:43 AM »
Maybe Utah is better?  Kyle Whittingham is a pretty good coach, too.  It’s entirely possible Mario Cristobal recognizes this and will adjust accordingly. 

I get what you’re saying.  I disagree.  Two years ago, they didn’t have any late season issues.  I suppose we can give all the credit to Justin Herbert if that’s the narrative we want.  I’d probably be more concerned if they had lost two games late that season versus this.

Isn’t that kind of the point? Cristobal is a good enough coach to have them in the top 20 most years with a chance to compete in the playoffs when it all comes together. However, he’s doesn’t have them a the level of an OSU or Oklahoma who are routinely in the hunt for a playoff spot.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #689 on: December 04, 2021, 08:55:50 AM »
Isn’t that kind of the point? Cristobal is a good enough coach to have them in the top 20 most years with a chance to compete in the playoffs when it all comes together. However, he’s doesn’t have them a the level of an OSU or Oklahoma who are routinely in the hunt for a playoff spot.

I think that’s the ceiling for them and Washington.  If and when USC becomes a juggernaut again, that job is even harder.  That’s why I wouldn’t blame him for taking the Miami job

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #690 on: December 04, 2021, 02:23:59 PM »
The attendance (56,511) was really better in Las Vegas than in Santa Clara. Great move by the conference of champions.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 02:40:28 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #691 on: December 04, 2021, 02:24:50 PM »
Oklahoma State playoffs hope are here on this final drive on ABC.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #692 on: December 04, 2021, 02:26:45 PM »
Oklahoma State playoffs hope are here on this final drive on ABC.

Been a bit of a slobberknocker

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #693 on: December 04, 2021, 02:34:13 PM »
That was unbelievable.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #694 on: December 04, 2021, 02:34:45 PM »
unnatural carnal knowledge Baylor. Covers up rape, cheats, fires those whose job it was to enforce the rules because football needs to win.

Terrible third down call by Okie State too.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #695 on: December 04, 2021, 02:35:11 PM »
That was unbelievable.

Eight plays in the fourth quarter inside the five and no touchdowns.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #696 on: December 04, 2021, 02:35:43 PM »
What a goal line stand. Defense in the Big 12.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #697 on: December 04, 2021, 02:38:31 PM »
Eight plays in the fourth quarter inside the five and no touchdowns.
7 plays inside the 2 yard line. Amazing to see.
-Bill Walton

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #698 on: December 04, 2021, 02:41:23 PM »
Ive never seen so much lack of imagination or creativity on offense than those last 2 OK St goal line possessions.

Also, if I'm an Ok St fan, I can't WAIT for Spencer Smith to graduate cause he stinks.  I have no clue how he was first team All-B12

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #699 on: December 04, 2021, 02:42:11 PM »
Congrats, Baylor!  Great to see!

feedback