[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MU82
[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-22 College Football thread  (Read 63502 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
Re: 2021-22 College Football thread
« Reply #475 on: November 20, 2021, 12:41:58 PM »
42-0 Ohio St over MSU with 7 mins left in the 2nd Q??  LOL

Sparty had a couple of wins early this year where they were outgained and had more turnovers.  Regression can be painful when it comes
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #476 on: November 20, 2021, 12:48:01 PM »
OSU is really good right now.   MSU has scraped out some lucky wins.   I expected a convincing Buckeye win.  So did Vegas.  This is ugly.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #477 on: November 20, 2021, 12:57:05 PM »
Gotta give Tucker another $100 million or so. Would hate to let him get away!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #478 on: November 20, 2021, 01:06:02 PM »
Gotta give Tucker another $100 million or so. Would hate to let him get away!!

Exactly what I was thinking.  Maybe a bit too quick on that contract?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #479 on: November 20, 2021, 01:09:23 PM »
Nah.  9 wins already.  Beat Michigan.  Instilling a culture the university wants.  Still smarting from Saban leaving all of those years ago.   Decided he was the guy and wanted to make sure he didn't get poached.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #480 on: November 20, 2021, 01:13:30 PM »
Sparty had a couple of wins early this year where they were outgained and had more turnovers.  Regression can be painful when it comes
Hell, Nebraska should have beaten them!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #481 on: November 20, 2021, 01:14:45 PM »
If MU extended Shaka right now, would you complain?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #482 on: November 20, 2021, 01:22:38 PM »
If MU extended Shaka right now, would you complain?

No one is complaining but probably not.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #483 on: November 20, 2021, 01:25:40 PM »
Exactly what I was thinking.  Maybe a bit too quick on that contract?

I think I just saw a few Ohio State boosters give $20M to extend Tucker’s new contract by a coupla more years!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #484 on: November 20, 2021, 04:51:25 PM »
Tucker is now the highest paid coach in the B10.  Good for him, but that's going to prove to be a bad contract.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #485 on: November 20, 2021, 07:14:17 PM »
I think the truth on Sark is that he is a decent coach and very good offensive mind.  As Wags says though, I think Texas is a little too much for him and he is going to be run out of there eventually.  And yeah I think the Texas job is almost impossible.  Objectively, only two coaches have won there since Royal left, Fred Akers and Mack Brown, and both of them slid the program into mediocrity.  But that doesn't reflect the expectations of the donor base.

Texas football isn't as big a deal to many recruits in Texas as people think it is.  A lot of the players and their families in Texas have no natural allegiance to UT, and are just as likely to be interested in Oklahoma, A&M, LSU or Alabama.
I would not characterize Mac Browns tenure as sliding the program into mediocrity. He had 12 very good to great seasons including a National Championship . Yes his last 4 seasons were not nearly as good. However that kind of mediocre string is not unusual after a long string of greatness. Bear Bryant , Joe Paterno , Woody Hayes all had streaks of several mediocre years .

Brown has gone to UNC and revived that program . So he still has coaching bonafides .

I think the real issue as you point out is the UT fan base is unrealistic in their expectations . Reality is they have been eclipsed by their rival Oklahoma and others in their league have equaled them .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #486 on: November 20, 2021, 07:26:18 PM »
I would not characterize Mac Browns tenure as sliding the program into mediocrity. He had 12 very good to great seasons including a National Championship . Yes his last 4 seasons were not nearly as good. However that kind of mediocre string is not unusual after a long string of greatness. Bear Bryant , Joe Paterno , Woody Hayes all had streaks of several mediocre years .

So he didn't slide the program into mediocrity...he just had a "mediocre string."

::) ::) ::)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #487 on: November 20, 2021, 07:53:52 PM »
Remember when Florida v. Florida State was the can't miss college football game of the year?

They will meet next week with each having 5-6 records.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #488 on: November 20, 2021, 08:38:10 PM »

So he didn't slide the program into mediocrity...he just had a "mediocre string."

::) ::) ::)
Yes . That would be more accurate . Also mediocre in his case was 8 and 9 win seasons. A coach can rebound from that and take a program back up.

Texas boosters made the same mistake Nebraska did when they pushed out Frank Solich. Pushed out a good coach because of unrealistic expectations .

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #489 on: November 20, 2021, 09:08:34 PM »
Is Oregon drunk? My lord.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #490 on: November 20, 2021, 09:25:45 PM »
Bryce Young breaks 52 year old Alabama passing record .

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32675922/alabama-bryce-young-breaks-school-single-game-passing-record

I actually remember watching Scott Hunter on TV set the old passing record in 1969. At that time that was an incredible amount of yards .
                       ---Al McGuire

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #491 on: November 21, 2021, 12:54:45 PM »
Florida is having a bad year, so they fired their head coach who had two top ten finishes in his first three seasons.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #492 on: November 21, 2021, 12:57:32 PM »
This will be Florida’s 6th new Head Football Coach in the past 20 years.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #493 on: November 21, 2021, 01:02:46 PM »
Florida is having a bad year, so they fired their head coach who had two top ten finishes in his first three seasons.

Recruiting has been bad but he has a history of being a good coach.  A Midwest guy originally.  Think he’ll be a popular interview after a year on pregame shows
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #494 on: November 21, 2021, 02:13:31 PM »
Recruiting has been bad but he has a history of being a good coach.  A Midwest guy originally.  Think he’ll be a popular interview after a year on pregame shows

East Coast guy other than a couple years with Urban Meyer.  Went to HS in NH and spent other significant time in PA.

But otherwise I agree.  He's been a successful coach pretty consistently.  He'll get another gig soon.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #495 on: November 22, 2021, 10:10:54 AM »
Remember when Florida v. Florida State was the can't miss college football game of the year?

They will meet next week with each having 5-6 records.
Winning to the whatever bowl is on the line.
Heck, remember when the national champion went thru the state of Florida!?
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #496 on: November 23, 2021, 08:39:37 PM »
You know the name if you catch the Paul Finebaum Show. Shocking to hear...
Cecil Hurt, the famed long-time Tuscaloosa News columnist and editor, passes away at 62
Hurt had worked at the Tuscaloosa News since 1982. Complications from pneumonia.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #497 on: November 23, 2021, 08:49:04 PM »
National TV Schedule for Thur/Friday. Also enjoy Black Friday. Also, seems like a mini Saturday.

Thursday, Nov. 25
Fresno State at San Jose State | 2:30 p.m. | FS1
No. 9 Ole Miss at Mississippi State | 6:30 p.m. | ESPN

Friday, Nov. 26
Boise State at No. 21 San Diego State | 11 a.m. | CBS
Kansas State at Texas | 11a.m. | FOX
Eastern Michigan at Central Michigan | 11a.m. | ESPNU
Ohio at Bowling Green | 11 a.m. | CBSSN
Utah State at New Mexico | 12 p.m. | FS1
No. 16 Iowa at Nebraska | 12:30 p.m. | Big Ten Network
No. 4 Cincinnati at East Carolina | 2:30 p.m. | ABC
Missouri at No. 25 Arkansas | 2:30 p.m. | CBS
South Florida at UCF | 2:30 p.m. | ESPN
UNLV at Air Force | 2:30 p.m. | CBSSN
Colorado at No. 19 Utah | 3 p.m. | FOX
TCU at Iowa State | 3:30 p.m. | FS1
North Carolina at No. 20 NC State | 6 p.m. | ESPN
Washington State at Washington | 7 p.m. | FS1
-Bill Walton

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #498 on: November 24, 2021, 04:46:43 AM »
You know the name if you catch the Paul Finebaum Show. Shocking to hear...
Cecil Hurt, the famed long-time Tuscaloosa News columnist and editor, passes away at 62
Hurt had worked at the Tuscaloosa News since 1982. Complications from pneumonia.

He was a fun follow on Twitter.  Pretty much the complete antithesis of most college beat writers.  Poked fun at other programs without the self-righteousness of many and was honest about the school and league he covered.  Based on outpourings, he was a good man and well-liked.  62 is much too young

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #499 on: November 24, 2021, 08:52:13 AM »
All the talk of the Bears front office failures made me think of one of my personal most despised Bears hires, John Shoop, the hapless OC under Dick Jauron.  After the Bears tossed him, he bounced around a bit and ended up at UNC as their OC.

Seeing if he was still in coaching, I found this article...
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/sep/03/john-shoop-north-carolina-purdue-college-football-coach

Its hilarious cause he's painting himself as some black-listed martyr being ahead of the curve with NLI.  Which might make sense except he was a TERRIBLE NFL OC who never had an offense outside of the bottom 5 in the league.  And then, in college, his offense at UNC never registered in the top 40, barely top 50 his 2 best seasons even with NFL talent at the skill positions.  Then he moved on to Purdue where he had 3 consecutive seasons of offenses outside of the top 100.  You're out of a job coaching college football cause you were terrible at it, not cause you were in favor of NLI you clown.