[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-22 College Football thread  (Read 63500 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
Re: 2021-22 College Football thread
« Reply #400 on: November 02, 2021, 07:54:14 PM »
Go back to the old way (polls) or start a real playoff.

Wisconsin, Iowa are ranked. Minnesota lost to Bowling Green is ranked. These three are in while UTSA, Houston, SMU, Louisiana and Coastal Carolina are not.  :o

I’m shocked to find gambling in this establishment
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #401 on: November 02, 2021, 07:59:37 PM »
The playoffs will only include a G5 team under extraordinary circumstances. These don’t qualify. And while people SAY they want Cincinnati, more will watch Alabama.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #402 on: November 02, 2021, 08:12:36 PM »
Beginning to think there are some inherent biases in the CFP committee. Namely, one that thinks the Big 10 is inherently good.

Move to 12 teams you cowards.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #403 on: November 02, 2021, 08:14:35 PM »
Beginning to think there are some inherent biases in the CFP committee. Namely, one that thinks the Big 10 is inherently good.

I’m impressed they didn’t have Penn State slotted to give OSU and the Michigan schools a chance to fatten their resumes
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #404 on: November 02, 2021, 08:29:01 PM »

Beginning?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #405 on: November 02, 2021, 09:24:03 PM »
Fun fact, the head coaches of the top four teams were all on the same staff at Alabama in 2015.
Saban tree >>> Belichick tree.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #406 on: November 03, 2021, 10:07:09 AM »
Cincy being out of the top 4 is a joke.  But man Fickell's comments were lame.  Pulling the "did you play football?" card on Gary Barta is both super weak, and looks even stupider when you realize that Barta won titles in college playing at NDSU and has been the AD at a big time Midwest football school for 15 years

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #407 on: November 03, 2021, 10:30:39 AM »
Cincy being out of the top 4 is a joke.  But man Fickell's comments were lame.  Pulling the "did you play football?" card on Gary Barta is both super weak, and looks even stupider when you realize that Barta won titles in college playing at NDSU and has been the AD at a big time Midwest football school for 15 years

Haha I didn't see Fickell's comments.  Meatheads gonna meathead.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #408 on: November 03, 2021, 10:57:55 AM »
The playoffs will only include a G5 team under extraordinary circumstances. These don’t qualify. And while people SAY they want Cincinnati, more will watch Alabama.

This may be true, but if they are going to omit undefeated teams that have defeated teams in their own top-10, it's pretty hard for anyone to call themselves a national champion based on their process. I don't watch CFB, just casually follow results and rankings a bit, but if they're going to include multiple teams that have worse losses than Cincinnati's best win and Cincinnati has no losses, it's pretty much just a farcical exhibition.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #409 on: November 03, 2021, 11:08:24 AM »
This may be true, but if they are going to omit undefeated teams that have defeated teams in their own top-10, it's pretty hard for anyone to call themselves a national champion based on their process. I don't watch CFB, just casually follow results and rankings a bit, but if they're going to include multiple teams that have worse losses than Cincinnati's best win and Cincinnati has no losses, it's pretty much just a farcical exhibition.

You are making the mistake of people caring that people think these titles are legit more than they care about the money it will generate.  ESPN will call them legit, their fanbase will celebrate, they will have a trophy, and they will cash checks.  This is what college football is.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #410 on: November 03, 2021, 11:14:58 AM »

You are making the mistake of people caring that people think these titles are legit more than they care about the money it will generate.  ESPN will call them legit, their fanbase will celebrate, they will have a trophy, and they will cash checks.  This is what college football is.

I recognize what they care about, but that doesn't make it any less farcical. It's why they should go to at least an 8-team field (I think 12, but whatever) and why the NCAA Tournament is so awesome. Everyone that would be able to make a legitimate claim to the title gets a chance to play for it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #411 on: November 03, 2021, 11:22:16 AM »
I recognize what they care about, but that doesn't make it any less farcical. It's why they should go to at least an 8-team field (I think 12, but whatever) and why the NCAA Tournament is so awesome. Everyone that would be able to make a legitimate claim to the title gets a chance to play for it.

Make it an 8-team field and you get the exact same arguments over who should be 8, 9 and 10.
The multiple basketball tournament expansions over the years haven't exactly ended the debates about who gets in and who doesn't, and whether the selection committee favors the big schools.

Cincy made its own bed with underwhelming performances in its last two games against teams with a combined record of 2-13.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #412 on: November 03, 2021, 11:29:32 AM »
Make it an 8-team field and you get the exact same arguments over who should be 8, 9 and 10.
The multiple basketball tournament expansions over the years haven't exactly ended the debates about who gets in and who doesn't, and whether the selection committee favors the big schools.

Cincy made its own bed with underwhelming performances in its last two games against teams with a combined record of 2-13.

I hate that last part of your post.  All teams have stupid, close games against inferior foes.  They won.  That’s all that should matter

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #413 on: November 03, 2021, 11:29:44 AM »

True, but I think there’s less debate when it’s the 9th ranked team versus the 5th. I think a scenario of the P5 conference champs getting an automatic bid and the 3 at-larges would be better. Granted, it’s still likely those at-larges are P5 teams.

I have to assume it adds money to the pot, but I don’t have enough knowledge to say with any certainty.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #414 on: November 03, 2021, 11:39:09 AM »

I get that.  But the fans of the teams that move the needle, don't care.  This was a system set up by the Power 5 for the benefit of the Power 5.  And they don't care if people on a Marquette message board don't think it's legit.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #415 on: November 03, 2021, 11:54:29 AM »

I prefer 12, but while you'll always have debates about who the last team in should be, once you get to the point of the 8th or 9th, or 12th or 13th best team, the odd one out probably isn't winning a title anyway. Though it might be interesting if they had an 8-team field to see if Cincy would be ranked 9th right now.

As far as the NCAAs go, there might be debate over the last 11-seed, but no one lower than an 8-seed has even played for the title, so it isn't like the Colorado States of the world (to use an example from last year) were going to be playing on that Monday in April anyway.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #416 on: November 05, 2021, 11:26:21 AM »
Saturday, November 6, Top 25 Schedule

5 Ohio State at Nebraska   11:00am   FOX
Liberty at 16 Ole Miss   11:00am   SECN   
Missouri at 1 Georgia   11:00am   ESPN   
25 Pitt at Duke   11:00am   ACCN   
9 Wake Forest at North Carolina   11:00am   ABC   
Illinois at 20 Minnesota   11:00am   ESPN2   

13 Auburn at 14 Texas A&M   2:30pm   CBS   
Tulsa at 6 Cincinnati   2:30pm   ESPN2   
Idaho State at 15 BYU   2:30pm   BYUtv/ESPN3   
11 Oklahoma State at West Virginia   2:30pm   ESPN   
12 Baylor at TCU   2:30pm   FOX   
21 Wisconsin at Rutgers   2:30pm   BTN   
Navy at 10 Notre Dame   2:30pm   NBC   
3 Michigan State at Purdue   2:30pm   ABC   
19 NC State at Florida State   3:00pm   ACCN
17 Mississippi State at Arkansas   3:00pm   SECN   

Boise State at 23 Fresno State   6:00pm   CBSSN   
22 Iowa at Northwestern   6:00pm   BTN   
Tennessee at 18 Kentucky   6:00pm ESPN2
LSU at 2 Alabama   6:00pm   ESPN   
Indiana at 7 Michigan   6:30pm   FOX   
4 Oregon at Washington   6:30pm   ABC

24 San Diego State at Hawaii   10:00pm   FS1   

If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #417 on: November 06, 2021, 12:49:38 PM »
Sam Hartman reminds me a bit of Derek Carr. I wish Hartman was two/three inches taller. I really like him though, I’ll be curious if he stays at Wake one more year.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #418 on: November 06, 2021, 12:57:19 PM »
Wake Forest offensive is outstanding. Crazy to think they put 70 points on Army, while scoring 56 points.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #419 on: November 06, 2021, 01:23:02 PM »
Sam Hartman reminds me a bit of Derek Carr. I wish Hartman was two/three inches taller. I really like him though, I’ll be curious if he stays at Wake one more year.

He’s already 22, Wake is having their best year in history, probably gonna win some awards, might as well leap when his stock is highest.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #420 on: November 06, 2021, 03:00:25 PM »
So Wake lost their undefeated season to a conference opponent in a non-conference game.

The most ACC thing ever.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #421 on: November 06, 2021, 05:46:28 PM »
Congrats to Michigam St. for backing up their #3 ranking.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #422 on: November 06, 2021, 09:32:09 PM »
Congrats to Michigam St. for backing up their #3 ranking.

Yeah … it’s become obvious that there are some good teams in the Big 14 but zero great teams.

Oh, and Cincinnati is a fraud too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #423 on: November 06, 2021, 10:18:43 PM »
I haven’t watched the whole game, but I’ve enjoyed RGIII on the end of the Oregon-Washington broadcast.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #424 on: November 06, 2021, 10:57:56 PM »
Yeah … it’s become obvious that there are some good teams in the Big 14 college football but zero great teams except Georgia.

Oh, and Cincinnati is a fraud too.

Everyone looks suspect at times besides that insane UGA defense.

I actually don’t think Cincy is a fraud based on that alone.  I think they beat all but a handful of teams in the country.   They handled IU completely, after starting slow, when people still thought IU was good.  They won their big test on the road at ND.  Then absolutely shellacked the other best team in their conference for the last 5+ years.  They have no more games to get up for, no real opponent left other than SMU, but get everyone teams absolute, circled on the calendar, best shot.  I can see why they look flat or sleep walk through some games.

If they are a fraud, so is Bama who had less than 25 yards rushing sneaking by a bad LSU team with a lame duck coach.  Or Oregon who won by single possessions against Cal and Washington after losing Stanford, not to mention squeaking past UCLA.

If Cincy was a lightweight with a terrible schedule amidst a bunch of juggernauts in the top 5, maybe.  But nobody is really all that consistently great