[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-22 College Football thread  (Read 63521 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2021-22 College Football thread
« Reply #125 on: September 15, 2021, 11:21:16 AM »
Seems a little low for Clemson, too. Maybe because of the ACC?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #126 on: September 15, 2021, 11:21:49 AM »
Seems a little low for Clemson, too. Maybe because of the ACC?

Replacing Dabo will be hard
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #127 on: September 15, 2021, 11:26:43 AM »
Replacing Dabo will be hard

Replacing Saban won't be?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #128 on: September 15, 2021, 11:30:02 AM »

A possible difference is that pre-Dabo, Clemson had a tradition of being a good program - occasionally a very good program - but not elite/blueblood status.
All of the programs ranked ahead of them have had more significant success through multiple eras with multiple coaches.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #129 on: September 15, 2021, 11:31:53 AM »

They have a lot more choices than Clemson out there plus Dabo might be the guy (I don’t think so but 🤷🏼‍♂️)
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2021, 11:51:36 AM »
A possible difference is that pre-Dabo, Clemson had a tradition of being a good program - occasionally a very good program - but not elite/blueblood status.
All of the programs ranked ahead of them have had more significant success through multiple eras with multiple coaches.

look at the struggles Alabama had between Stallings and Saban. Look at what has happened at Nebraska since they ran off Solich, Michigan since Carr retired, USC since Carroll left. "Blueblood" status doesn't mean a lot when present success if primarily due to the coach and the wrong hire (or hires) are made.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2021, 12:04:16 PM »
look at the struggles Alabama had between Stallings and Saban. Look at what has happened at Nebraska since they ran off Solich, Michigan since Carr retired, USC since Carroll left. "Blueblood" status doesn't mean a lot when present success if primarily due to the coach and the wrong hire (or hires) are made.

Actually, it means a ton.
That blueblood/elite status meant Alabama could still land a coach like Saban even after all the down years post-Stallings. It means USC is still considered among the very best jobs despite having zero playoff appearances and only two top 10 finishes in the last 11 years. It means Texas can keep landing the hot name on the coaching carousel, despite it proving to be a place where those hot names go to die. It means coaches like Kirby Smart will turn down good job after good job to await your call.
Blueblood status doesn't guarantee perpetual success, but it makes it easier.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but no one here is calling Nebraska a blueblood. They haven't been relevant in 20 years.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #132 on: September 15, 2021, 12:33:06 PM »
That blueblood/elite status meant Alabama could still land a coach like Saban even after all the down years post-Stallings. It means USC is still considered among the very best jobs despite having zero playoff appearances and only two top 10 finishes in the last 11 years. It means Texas can keep landing the hot name on the coaching carousel, despite it proving to be a place where those hot names go to die. It means coaches like Kirby Smart will turn down good job after good job to await your call.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but no one here is calling Nebraska a blueblood. They haven't been relevant in 20 years.

Exactly.  Thats why until golden boy Scott Frost was interested, Nebraska was hiring guys like Mike Riley.

I dont have a huge problem with that list but I would put USC higher if simply for the fact that there are 2 SEC West programs in the top 5, plus Georgia.  Thats huge competition for not only your division, but the conference.  Plus then you're all gonna be fighting for the best players out of the Southeast.  USC has a much softer conference and gets their pick out of the super fertile LA/SoCal recruiting pipe.

Northwestern being in the discussion is absurd.  But UNC I actually get.  ACC is an easier conference overall than the B10 plus you have much more local talent in North and South Carolina.  Wisconsin can always get huge linemen, but they are not plucking top tier skill position locally, with any consistency.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #133 on: September 15, 2021, 12:57:37 PM »
Lots of Northwestern alum out of that 100
Makes sense. Excellent Facilities, Attractive Campus,Alums with big  dollar support ,conference not overly strong . Team can go to bowls every few years .

Expectations low and can frequently be over achieved . So yes it is a good job. Fitzgerald is there  for as long as he wants .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #134 on: September 15, 2021, 01:23:28 PM »

they were a blueblood - look at the period of domination for nearly 50 years with Devaney, Osborne, and Solich at the helm. Five national titles, 12 national title game (defacto title game in a bowl) appearances, 35 straight years of bowl games.  A few bad hires and look at them now.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2021, 04:43:00 PM »
they were a blueblood - look at the period of domination for nearly 50 years with Devaney, Osborne, and Solich at the helm. Five national titles, 12 national title game (defacto title game in a bowl) appearances, 35 straight years of bowl games.  A few bad hires and look at them now.

They were trending down the minute Osborne's guys left campus.  Solich had a boost from taking over a great team and inheriting recruits and prestige from Osborne.

But I wouldn't call them a football blue blood.  Their pre-Devaney history is just whatever, and they don't have all the inherent advantages most blue bloods have.  If they fire Scott Frost, their candidate list will not be all that attractive.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #136 on: September 15, 2021, 05:37:12 PM »
They were trending down the minute Osborne's guys left campus.  Solich had a boost from taking over a great team and inheriting recruits and prestige from Osborne.

But I wouldn't call them a football blue blood.  Their pre-Devaney history is just whatever, and they don't have all the inherent advantages most blue bloods have.  If they fire Scott Frost, their candidate list will not be all that attractive.
You are too young to remember when they were one of the two most dominant programs in college football for 30 years give or take. They were absolutely a blue blood but have fallen badly.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #137 on: September 15, 2021, 05:42:37 PM »
You are too young to remember when they were one of the two most dominant programs in college football for 30 years give or take. They were absolutely a blue blood but have fallen badly.

They’ve lost their identity joining the Big 14.  It’s possible I suppose they find their greatness again but I doubt it.  They chased dollar signs joining the Big 14 just like Maryland basketball.  Nebraska football playing Oklahoma was must see football.  They’ll never find that rivalry again.  I believe that about Maryland basketball running away from the ACC, too.  Money buys a lot but doesn’t guarantee relevancy like you once knew

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #138 on: September 15, 2021, 05:50:14 PM »
They’ve lost their identity joining the Big 14.  It’s possible I suppose they find their greatness again but I doubt it.  They chased dollar signs joining the Big 14 just like Maryland basketball.  Nebraska football playing Oklahoma was must see football.  They’ll never find that rivalry again.  I believe that about Maryland basketball running away from the ACC, too.  Money buys a lot but doesn’t guarantee relevancy like you once knew
Yes the change in conference affiliation hasn’t helped and they made a couple of really bad coaching hires. Really, there are similarities between their hiring of Bill Callahan and MU’s hiring of Wojo. Let’s hope MUs mistake is more quickly rectified with Shaka than Nebraska’s has been. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #139 on: September 15, 2021, 05:58:16 PM »
Can we talk about St. Thomas of Minnesota joining the Big 10 for football, too?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #140 on: September 15, 2021, 06:31:52 PM »
Yes the change in conference affiliation hasn’t helped and they made a couple of really bad coaching hires. Really, there are similarities between their hiring of Bill Callahan and MU’s hiring of Wojo. Let’s hope MUs mistake is more quickly rectified with Shaka than Nebraska’s has been.

Nebraska success was unique under Osborne because he pulled kids from California and he recruited to his offensive system and he never deviated from it. 

They also were not afraid to cheat, coverup misdeeds and *wink-wink* PEDs.  The idea of Nebraska being a virtuous program because of St. Tom Osborne is a lie.  As dirty as Switzer and OU?  No, but hardly clean.

Nebraska benefited from the old TV deal, too, where they were one of the few teams that saw a lot of TV time.  They also put kids into the NFL.  They had advantages others all have today. 

I don’t know if they should have kept Solich but Callahan was a dumb hire.  And when the dumped Pelini, hiring Mike Riley at that time in Riley’s career was bizarre to say the least.

Nebraska should strive to match Iowa and Wisconsin.  Maybe then they can get more blue-chip kids but until then, it won’t matter the coach.  All the advantages they once had are gone and they have no identity and hiring Trev Alberts as AD was a terrible choice, too. 

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #141 on: September 15, 2021, 06:55:09 PM »
Nebraska success was unique under Osborne because he pulled kids from California and he recruited to his offensive system and he never deviated from it. 

They also were not afraid to cheat, coverup misdeeds and *wink-wink* PEDs.  The idea of Nebraska being a virtuous program because of St. Tom Osborne is a lie.  As dirty as Switzer and OU?  No, but hardly clean.

Nebraska benefited from the old TV deal, too, where they were one of the few teams that saw a lot of TV time.  They also put kids into the NFL.  They had advantages others all have today. 

I don’t know if they should have kept Solich but Callahan was a dumb hire.  And when the dumped Pelini, hiring Mike Riley at that time in Riley’s career was bizarre to say the least.

Nebraska should strive to match Iowa and Wisconsin.  Maybe then they can get more blue-chip kids but until then, it won’t matter the coach.  All the advantages they once had are gone and they have no identity and hiring Trev Alberts as AD was a terrible choice, too.
Agree with all of this. I really thought Frost would turn it around, and maybe he still will, but the recruiting needs to get a LOT better at the skill positions—who am I kidding—everywhere.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #142 on: September 15, 2021, 07:03:54 PM »
Agree with all of this. I really thought Frost would turn it around, and maybe he still will, but the recruiting needs to get a LOT better at the skill positions—who am I kidding—everywhere.

SI just ran a piece on the hiring of Dan Mullen at Florida and on it, they mention interviewing Frost and coming away not sure he was ready to run a major college football program

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #143 on: September 16, 2021, 11:09:05 AM »
Nebraska was at the pinnacle of College Football. True Royalty . Not only National Championships , Always near the top of the rankings ,multiple Heismans  and many Pros etc.

Following a coaching legend is always tough and Nebraska made the mistake of firing Solich who was a quality coach and then multiple bad coaching hires degraded their Program .

At this point the only asset they have is a crazed fan base that sells out every game .

Scott Frost has a very tough mission to get this program over .500.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #144 on: September 16, 2021, 11:32:18 AM »
Some of the more higher profiled games this Saturday, September 18th

Cincinnati at Indiana   11:00 am   ESPN
Michigan State at Miami   11:00 am   ABC
Nebraska at Oklahoma   11:00 am   FOX
Virginia Tech at West Virginia   11:00 am   FS1
Purdue at Notre Dame   1:30 pm   NBC
Alabama at Florida   2:30 pm   CBS
USC at Washington State   2:30 pm   FOX
South Carolina at Georgia   6:00 pm   ESPN
Auburn at Penn State   6:30 pm   ABC
Utah State at Air Force   6:30 pm   FS2
Oklahoma State at Boise State   8:00 pm   FS1
Arizona State at BYU   9:15 pm   ESPN
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MU82

• All American
« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2021, 11:36:36 AM »
Some of the more higher profiled games this Saturday, September 18th

Cincinnati at Indiana   11:00 am   ESPN
Michigan State at Miami   11:00 am   ABC
Nebraska at Oklahoma   11:00 am   FOX
Virginia Tech at West Virginia   11:00 am   FS1
Purdue at Notre Dame   1:30 pm   NBC
Alabama at Florida   2:30 pm   CBS
USC at Washington State   2:30 pm   FOX
South Carolina at Georgia   6:00 pm   ESPN
Auburn at Penn State   6:30 pm   ABC
Utah State at Air Force   6:30 pm   FS2
Oklahoma State at Boise State   8:00 pm   FS1
Arizona State at BYU   9:15 pm   ESPN

Thanks for that list, Mr. N. Always appreciated.

For decades, Nebraska-Oklahoma was one of the big games of the year. This is the first time they will have played since 2010, and it's hard to imagine it not being ugly for Nebraska.

Purdue have any chance against ND?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #146 on: September 16, 2021, 11:55:02 AM »
Thanks for that list, Mr. N. Always appreciated.

For decades, Nebraska-Oklahoma was one of the big games of the year. This is the first time they will have played since 2010, and it's hard to imagine it not being ugly for Nebraska.

Purdue have any chance against ND?

I'm looking to take the points with Purdue +7.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #147 on: September 17, 2021, 10:32:56 AM »
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 10:34:36 AM by Mr. Nielsen »
-Bill Walton

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #148 on: September 17, 2021, 10:43:31 AM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #149 on: September 17, 2021, 10:57:35 AM »
What are we doing Notre Dame, let the dam drum in!
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/purdue-largest-drum-in-the-world-notre-dame/5o3uylteygv41a5e451r744xq

My daughter -- a Purdue student -- is going to the game. I hope Purdue crushes them.*

*And I'm generally an ND football fan. I won't bother asking you not to judge me, but please judge me less harshly because when I was growing up rooting for ND was a condition of receiving room and board. Old habits die hard.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.