[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What's the word on Garcia?  (Read 162097 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: What's the word on Garcia?
« Reply #1150 on: July 28, 2021, 08:42:25 AM »
C'mon man, you know NIL profitability isn't going to benefit MU at this time. The rich will be getting richer, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1151 on: July 28, 2021, 08:44:52 AM »
C'mon man, you know NIL profitability isn't going to benefit MU at this time. The rich will be getting richer, hey?

Step up n pey deeze guyz dock, ai'na?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #1152 on: July 28, 2021, 09:59:42 AM »
Forgive me if this was answered earlier, but are schools restricted from "setting up" NIL opportunities for players?  I know many schools now have advisors on NIL, social media, etc., but I'm not sure if they're essentially passive resources or if they can act essentially as agents from the NIL perspective.

I ask because, as others have said, Dawson wasted no time getting in on the game at UNC.  I wonder if some of this was pre-arranged and part of their recruitment pitch? 

Also, I guarantee that MU is not happy about one of their images being photoshopped and used for commercial purposes, particularly with someone no longer affiliated with the university.  In fact, I wouldn't doubt if Dawson's "ad" disappears sometime soon.  The copyright and trademark issues that will pop up with NIL will be interesting - it's going to take some time for some to realize that they can't just use existing images that they find on the internet.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 10:01:48 AM by Skip Intro »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1153 on: July 28, 2021, 11:03:09 AM »

Jimmy's Seafood Buffet is big money, aina?

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #1154 on: July 28, 2021, 12:03:13 PM »

This is what gets me. I find it funny that the JSB sponsorship deal is any type of draw for a player and that this type of stuff had been deemed high crimes by the NCAA. Dolla dolla bills, y’all?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1155 on: July 28, 2021, 12:16:34 PM »
Forgive me if this was answered earlier, but are schools restricted from "setting up" NIL opportunities for players?  I know many schools now have advisors on NIL, social media, etc., but I'm not sure if they're essentially passive resources or if they can act essentially as agents from the NIL perspective.

I ask because, as others have said, Dawson wasted no time getting in on the game at UNC.  I wonder if some of this was pre-arranged and part of their recruitment pitch? 

Also, I guarantee that MU is not happy about one of their images being photoshopped and used for commercial purposes, particularly with someone no longer affiliated with the university.  In fact, I wouldn't doubt if Dawson's "ad" disappears sometime soon.  The copyright and trademark issues that will pop up with NIL will be interesting - it's going to take some time for some to realize that they can't just use existing images that they find on the internet.

schools cannot be directly involved in setting up deals. That doesn't mean they won't indirectly set things up.  Penn State's AD sent the message to their alumni to take care of their athletes. (“Penn State’s brand and 700,000 living alumni are huge advantages for our students as they explore these new opportunities to make an impact.”)
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1156 on: July 28, 2021, 12:17:01 PM »

free trips to Margaritaville is a nice bonus.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1157 on: July 28, 2021, 12:19:47 PM »
free trips to Margaritaville is a nice bonus.

Now taxable  ;)

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1158 on: July 28, 2021, 12:24:06 PM »
This is what gets me. I find it funny that the JSB sponsorship deal is any type of draw for a player and that this type of stuff had been deemed high crimes by the NCAA. Dolla dolla bills, y’all?
Jimmy's Famous is a $19 mil/yr business, with 110 employees, according to my googling skills. They have 3 college "endorsers" (Garcia, Bacot, and a MD FB player). They also have given free crab cakes for life to several pro players (which knowing the price of crab now, is a pretty good gig).

Surely MU grads can have some endorsement money lying aroung. Thredup, maybe?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1159 on: July 28, 2021, 12:35:13 PM »
Jimmy's Famous is a $19 mil/yr business, with 110 employees, according to my googling skills. They have 3 college "endorsers" (Garcia, Bacot, and a MD FB player). They also have given free crab cakes for life to several pro players (which knowing the price of crab now, is a pretty good gig).

Surely MU grads can have some endorsement money lying aroung. Thredup, maybe?

Allen Edmonds shoes for the entire team?

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #1160 on: July 28, 2021, 12:56:39 PM »

Might even get a few McKinsey recruits with that one if you throw in a vest.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1161 on: July 28, 2021, 10:21:23 PM »
WWBD. What Would Barry Alvarez Do?
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #1162 on: July 29, 2021, 10:56:27 AM »
I've been thinking about this NIL stuff.  It seems to me that a basketball only school could have a big advantage here due having far fewer mouths to feed.  Alabama basketball players have a long line in front of them at the endorsement door.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1163 on: July 29, 2021, 11:00:46 AM »
WWBD. What Would Barry Alvarez Do?

Probably eat something.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1164 on: July 29, 2021, 11:10:36 AM »
I've been thinking about this NIL stuff.  It seems to me that a basketball only school could have a big advantage here due having far fewer mouths to feed.  Alabama basketball players have a long line in front of them at the endorsement door.

I like this take and hope you are right. NIL is the elephant in the room.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 11:25:56 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #1165 on: July 29, 2021, 11:43:40 AM »

Given that a football-only school like Alabama typically has a much larger student body (and alumni base) than most basketball only schools, that advantage probably isn't as big as you think.

Then you have to consider the fact that a large state school gets much broader support in general--they get a lot of defacto support across the state. 

Couple that with the likelihood that the athletic department is keeping tabs on who's supporting which players/teams. Which Alabama booster do you think is going to get the private dinners, pregame events, special access, bowl ticket access, etc?  The boosters who only support football players or those who dig a little bit deeper and support basketball (and other sports) as well?   

I think its wishful thinking that a small, private basketball-only school would have any significant advantage over a large state school.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #1166 on: July 29, 2021, 12:10:25 PM »
Given that a football-only school like Alabama typically has a much larger student body (and alumni base) than most basketball only schools, that advantage probably isn't as big as you think.

Then you have to consider the fact that a large state school gets much broader support in general--they get a lot of defacto support across the state. 

Couple that with the likelihood that the athletic department is keeping tabs on who's supporting which players/teams. Which Alabama booster do you think is going to get the private dinners, pregame events, special access, bowl ticket access, etc?  The boosters who only support football players or those who dig a little bit deeper and support basketball (and other sports) as well?   

I think its wishful thinking that a small, private basketball-only school would have any significant advantage over a large state school.

Does Alabama have a city the size of Milwaukee?  What's the size of Alabama's state population?  How many are Auburn fans?  How Many are ultrawealthy?  The Florida schools, Georgia and the Texas (eventually two) schools should have a big advantage over Alabama in regards to the value of NIL deals.  I see the NIL leading to a shift in the power balance in the SEC over time.  Florida, Texas and California schools should have a dominating advantage in recruiting, due to NIL. 

New York has loads of possibilities, but how popular is Syracuse statewide?  I honestly don't know.  Marquette needs to worry about the Big East New York metro schools, Villanova, and DePaul (should it decide to get its crap together) much more than most state schools when it comes to NIL competition, as well the state schools from the aforementioned ultrawealthy states.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1167 on: July 29, 2021, 12:45:35 PM »

So you'd agree then that completely free markets or markets with little regulation are bad for the majority?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1168 on: July 29, 2021, 12:57:11 PM »
Does Alabama have a city the size of Milwaukee?  What's the size of Alabama's state population?  How many are Auburn fans?  How Many are ultrawealthy?  The Florida schools, Georgia and the Texas (eventually two) schools should have a big advantage over Alabama in regards to the value of NIL deals.  I see the NIL leading to a shift in the power balance in the SEC over time.  Florida, Texas and California schools should have a dominating advantage in recruiting, due to NIL. 

New York has loads of possibilities, but how popular is Syracuse statewide?  I honestly don't know.  Marquette needs to worry about the Big East New York metro schools, Villanova, and DePaul (should it decide to get its crap together) much more than most state schools when it comes to NIL competition, as well the state schools from the aforementioned ultrawealthy states.
For football, its going to be more $$ nationally rather than locally. I see last years backup QB for Alabama signed a deal with cashapp. He has over 800K in endorsements so far.

I feel basketball is going to be peanuts compared to football. To me, build a winning team and the endorsements will come, not the other way around.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1169 on: July 29, 2021, 01:25:22 PM »

If we are being honest, unless a company is run by an MU alum, I’d anticipate a company using NIL money on a UW player or UWM player

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1170 on: July 29, 2021, 01:33:02 PM »
If we are being honest, unless a company is run by an MU alum, I’d anticipate a company using NIL money on a UW player or UWM player

If a person is going to spend NIL money on a local player in Milwaukee and picks UWM over MU (exception of Pat Baldwin Jr for 1yr) then that person shouldn't be in business
Maigh Eo for Sam

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1171 on: July 29, 2021, 01:41:14 PM »
For football, its going to be more $$ nationally rather than locally. I see last years backup QB for Alabama signed a deal with cashapp. He has over 800K in endorsements so far.

I feel basketball is going to be peanuts compared to football. To me, build a winning team and the endorsements will come, not the other way around.[/b]

True, but the NIL train may be leaving the station before we are on board. If basketball is going to get peanuts as you suggest, maybe we can somehow still get our guys set up as Shaka develops a "winning team" over the next two seasons. The best recruits are almost certainly already looking at NIL opportunities before committing. I know that Garcia is an extreme example but I would find it very difficult to believe that deals for him were not already on the planning board. NIL is still the elephant in the room and I hope it does not take a dump on us.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1172 on: July 29, 2021, 01:43:57 PM »
I spoke with a friend in Arizona athletics yesterday. He said a certain transfer recruit that went off to an ACC school told the staff that the school had "guaranteed" at least $600k in NIL benefits, which is why he chose them.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1173 on: July 29, 2021, 01:45:30 PM »

If NIL were in place a couple years ago, Markus Howard would have been much more popular than anyone UW would have had.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1174 on: July 29, 2021, 01:47:06 PM »

If NIL were in place a couple years ago, Markus Howard would have been much more popular than anyone UW would have had.

Idk, Ethan Happ and Davison seem to fit the WI Golden boy stereotype
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback