[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

NIL Future by PointWarrior
[Today at 09:03:13 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What's the word on Garcia?  (Read 164521 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: What's the word on Garcia?
« Reply #875 on: July 08, 2021, 06:58:36 PM »
When was the last time we danced? Out of sight, out of mind. I'm fully confident Shaka can bring back the luster, but it will take some time. The hiring of Woj set us back further than we realize. Currently, I just don't think we're on the same playing field with the perennial winners.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #876 on: July 08, 2021, 07:00:52 PM »
That’s simply not true. MU may not be a national title contender for any number of reasons.  But no school with MU’s budget, arena/NBA ties, and attendance is “just another team”. 

Disappointing as the last decade has been, MU as a program, financially and from a business of basketball, is closer to Duke than it is to SLU or Dayton or Loyola.

All of this plus, most Power 5 schools are funneling their donors to the O Line's NIL before even considering hoops.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #877 on: July 08, 2021, 07:01:24 PM »
When was the last time we danced? Out of sight, out of mind. I'm fully confident Shaka can bring back the luster, but it will take some time. The hiring of Woj set us back further than we realize. Currently, I just don't think we're on the same playing field with the perennial winners.

We haven't been on the same playing field as the perennial winners for about four decades.
The good news is, neither are about 340 other schools.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #878 on: July 08, 2021, 07:59:04 PM »
Yep, good for the players ... and it's about time. Everybody else has been getting rich on their backs for generations.
not being sour, if Jimbob’s Used Cars wants to pay a guy, ok, I guess. But, these D-I students are getting a full ride, yes? (What’s MU cost for a full year these days?…15 credits each semester, room/board, books)

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #879 on: July 08, 2021, 08:16:54 PM »
Looks like Theo John and Dawson Garcia will be squaring up a couple times against each other this coming season.
Two Twin City players ending up in NC.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #880 on: July 08, 2021, 08:18:07 PM »
Looks like Theo John and Dawson Garcia will be squaring up a couple times against each other this coming season.
Two Twin City players ending up in NC.
Actually, Theo will be squaring off against Bacot individually.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #881 on: July 08, 2021, 08:21:58 PM »
not being sour, if Jimbob’s Used Cars wants to pay a guy, ok, I guess. But, these D-I students are getting a full ride, yes? (What’s MU cost for a full year these days?…15 credits each semester, room/board, books)

How much is MU making off the free ride?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #882 on: July 08, 2021, 08:32:31 PM »

What does one have to do with the other?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #883 on: July 08, 2021, 08:35:28 PM »

What does one have to do with the other?
Umm, …$$$$$

Viper

• All American
« Reply #884 on: July 08, 2021, 09:35:19 PM »
How much is MU making off the free ride?
I give. How much? But is that the deal...MU rakes, so the student should get tuition, room/board, and some cake?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #885 on: July 08, 2021, 09:43:15 PM »
Umm, …$$$$$

Do people STILL not realize NIL money doesn't come from the schools?

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #886 on: July 08, 2021, 09:46:00 PM »
However you want to justify it in your mind is fine with me.  Interesting that the “earned advantage” applies to the coach but not the players.

Fluff,

No justification.  The best coaches get the best players.  Over time this occurred at NC with Deane Smith, Marquette with Al, indiana with knight, etc, etc.  You became a blue blood or a great basketball school because of the coach.  This lead to easier recruiting, more exposure by the media.  The snow ball effect.  This was earned by these coaches.  The players followed.  The fan base followed after that.  Marquette would not be remotely the same basketball school without Al.  You are kidding yourself if you think the players that won the NC would have been there regardless.  Our program sank like a rock without Al.  There is no rationalization. That is reality.

The competitive advantage changed with coaches.  The best attracted the best players.  Programs were built on their backs.  This was  earned over time.  Penn State would have been a blue blood and not Duke if coach K decided to set up shop there for 40 years.

People fear that buying players is the new norm and the new way to compete.

I don’t care either way.  If MU can’t compete in the new basketball world and drops basketball it won’t matter in the long run.   I do hope our alums come up with the cash though.  It’s more fun to be good.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #887 on: July 08, 2021, 10:36:44 PM »
Yes, but it comes from boosters for the school. 

Do people STILL not realize NIL money doesn't come from the schools?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #888 on: July 08, 2021, 10:42:17 PM »
Fluff,

No justification.  The best coaches get the best players.  Over time this occurred at NC with Deane Smith, Marquette with Al, indiana with knight, etc, etc.  You became a blue blood or a great basketball school because of the coach.  This lead to easier recruiting, more exposure by the media.  The snow ball effect.  This was earned by these coaches.  The players followed.  The fan base followed after that.  Marquette would not be remotely the same basketball school without Al.  You are kidding yourself if you think the players that won the NC would have been there regardless.  Our program sank like a rock without Al.  There is no rationalization. That is reality.

The competitive advantage changed with coaches.  The best attracted the best players.  Programs were built on their backs.  This was  earned over time.  Penn State would have been a blue blood and not Duke if coach K decided to set up shop there for 40 years.

I don’t care either way.  If MU can’t compete in the new basketball world and drops basketball it won’t matter in the long run.   I do hope our alums come up with the cash though.  It’s more fun to be good.

Shooter

I agree with this analysis.

Except for the last paragraph.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 07:08:02 AM by Lennys Tap »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #889 on: July 09, 2021, 01:26:22 AM »
Fluff,

Shooter, go to bed, you’re drunk. 

If you don’t see how NIL is a BOON for #mubb then you obviously didn’t take Logic 101.  All the chicken littles out there, MUBB is  about burn the rest of the conference down. 

NIL is a (greatly) pivotal time in MUBB. 

We’re gonna soar. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #890 on: July 09, 2021, 06:26:26 AM »
Lens,

I’m merely pointing out why there were inequities in the old system.  It was mainly long term great coaching which led to getting better players which led to blue blood status.

Now it’s NIL money and coaching.  The best coaches will now go to the schools with the NIL advantage.  Some of those will be the same schools who are already blue bloods because of their previous advantages.  Some programs will come out of nowhere because the cash will be too hard to pass up for the players.

I’m fine with it. I hope you are right and MU fans and alumni crush it.  If we don’t and it’s too hard to recruit based on this new variable, Shaka will eventually move on to greener pastures.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #891 on: July 09, 2021, 08:17:53 AM »

Nope

MU82

• All American
« Reply #892 on: July 09, 2021, 08:22:07 AM »
The NC media take on UNC's gain (and MU's loss) ...

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/article252650098.html?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #893 on: July 09, 2021, 08:29:30 AM »

Can you offer some examples, please?

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #894 on: July 09, 2021, 09:04:19 AM »
Can you offer some examples, please?

We can get tied up with semantics, but I think you need only search "boosters and NIL" to find that boosters actively getting involved in the NIL business to help their alma mater (or favorite school) is not a myth. They aren't doing this to benefit their businesses; they are doing it to benefit the schools they support by attracting high end talent to the programs at their schools.

I thought this was an interesting Clemson opinion article that describes some of the thoughts on how NIL will affect different schools. More importantly, it feels like a piece trying to mobilize boosters to get involved; basically an arms race type article. https://rubbingtherock.com/2021/07/08/clemson-football-boosters-future/

Note reference to Frank Martin saying there is a HS bball kid with a seven figure offer already from a booster. Martin's thoughts are equally interesting:
https://247sports.com/college/south-carolina/Article/NIL-landscape-Frank-Martin-South-Carolina-Gamecocks-mens-basketball-167514581/

Again, I am not saying this is bad or good. It is change and it is reality. You either adapt or you get stuck reminiscing about glory days. But, to pretend that boosters aren't going to be working "for" their school's benefit (regardless of how much or little input the actual school has), is to stick your head in the sand. 

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #895 on: July 09, 2021, 09:18:01 AM »
Does Gruber pay players or donate to the school now?  CPI?  Same decision.  I think if you are the athletic department you have to grease these wheels.  The smart money is on paying the players so that you can field a competitive program.  That will benefit the school in the long run.  Marquette really needs to be stressing that to all donors with businesses.  There is opportunity out there like Lens said.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #896 on: July 09, 2021, 09:38:11 AM »
Ironic moment/poke at Wojo that Garcia took his talents to UNC?  :o

Good luck to DG, should be an interesting year for Heels with new coach
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #897 on: July 09, 2021, 10:06:07 AM »
So when does Garcia come off the scholarship table and is there any senior transfer worth adding?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #898 on: July 09, 2021, 10:06:29 AM »
Most definitely a Marquette fan. Not having a somewhat equal shot at the best players and coaches would make every season meaningless.

Just look at DePaul, they can't draw flies to their games and they are in the Big East. Competitive balance, or the opportunity for it, draws fans. Pro sports does this and they make bank.

I'd be very happy if MU won a tournament vs Gonzaga or Nova or Houston, etc.

HELL FOOKIN NO.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #899 on: July 09, 2021, 10:16:53 AM »
As fans we're looking at MU thru blue and gold glasses. In reality, on a national stage we're just another team.

You're right, Doc.