[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What's the word on Garcia?  (Read 162068 times)

jficke13

• All American
Re: What's the word on Garcia?
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2021, 10:19:11 AM »
Chones never made a Final 4.  He’s not even in my top 50 Marquette players of all-time.

March Ws make Jared Sichting a lock for the top 50 tho

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2021, 11:53:58 AM »
March Ws make Jared Sichting a lock for the top 50 tho

He’s probably just on the outside looking in.  Not playing for Al is a strike against him
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2021, 12:19:53 PM »
No, I think wining percentage, which you brought up

is stupid.  Chones has the resume as an all time great without fluff stats like this.  Throwing useless stats on a resume reduces the quality of the resume as a whole.

This may be the dumbest post in Scoop history. Congratulations DJO, you beat out some very strong competition.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2021, 12:20:58 PM »
This may be the dumbest post in Scoop history. Congratulations DJO, you beat out some very strong competition.

Dylan Flood has a higher win % than Chones.  Your criteria is ridiculous.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2021, 12:46:38 PM »
Dylan Flood has a higher win % than Chones.  Your criteria is ridiculous.

Was Dylan Flood the star of those teams? MU was 22-0 when Chones left in ‘72 and finished 25-4. So is their record with him relevant? Yes. So is Indiana State’s with Larry Bird, though I’m sure you’d disagree. Sheesh.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #130 on: June 11, 2021, 12:55:20 PM »
Was Dylan Flood the star of those teams? MU was 22-0 when Chones left in ‘72 and finished 25-4. So is their record with him relevant? Yes. So is Indiana State’s with Larry Bird, though I’m sure you’d disagree. Sheesh.
Individual win% on a team sport is an inherently flawed metric.  There are literally too many examples to list of both good/great players that were on poor/incomplete teams, as well as poor/incomplete players on good teams.  The fact that Dylan Flood is tied for first in win % supports this.  Any metric that has Reggie Smith or Yous Mbao ahead of Markus is flawed. 

Again, Chones resume is more than adequate without useless filler stats like this. 

It'd be like going into a job interview now, and having accolades from high school on your resume.  Technically correct, but no one (other than ners) uses them.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #131 on: June 11, 2021, 12:58:37 PM »
Individual win% on a team sport is an inherently flawed metric.  There are literally too many examples to list of both good/great players that were on poor/incomplete teams, as well as poor/incomplete players on good teams.  The fact that Dylan Flood is tied for first in win % supports this.  Any metric that has Reggie Smith or Yous Mbao ahead of Markus is flawed. 

Again, Chones resume is more than adequate without useless filler stats like this. 

It'd be like going into a job interview now, and having accolades from high school on your resume.  Technically correct, but no one (other than ners) uses them.

...I may have to edit my resume
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2021, 01:29:50 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me how this place needs teal like it needs oxygen.

Actually, we've been providing an oxygen free forum since 2006.  Which explains a lot!

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #133 on: June 11, 2021, 01:39:55 PM »
While looking for a list of the 100 or so invitees to the NBA combine, I saw this:

On Monday, the NBA announced 353 players filed as early entry draft candidates.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #134 on: June 11, 2021, 01:43:33 PM »
While looking for a list of the 100 or so invitees to the NBA combine, I saw this:

And the vast majority will return to school.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #135 on: June 11, 2021, 01:52:06 PM »

And the vast majority will return to school.
I agree. This is one reason why I think Garcia will be back.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #136 on: June 11, 2021, 01:59:59 PM »

I thought a tweet by Giovny clarified that number included seniors. The terminology made it seem like all underclassmen when it wasn’t.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2021, 02:06:55 PM »
I agree. This is one reason why I think Garcia will be back.

But as was posted earlier (and backed up with data), guys who enter the draft after their Freshman year almost never return to school.  And if it's indeed true that Dawson is one of the 100 or so combine invites, I have to imagine the odds of his return are even smaller.  On top of that, he can now transfer with immediate eligibility, so while he might hypothetically return to college ball next year, it could be somewhere other than MU.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2021, 02:22:17 PM »
Having seen the Jim Chones team a couple of times, I'm hesitant to wade too deep into this one. We had the makings of a team that was truly great and, had Mr. Chones stayed for four years, I am fairly confident there would have been at least two more Nattys hanging in the Computing Castle.

In 1971-1972 we were undefeated with Chones in our line-up. There would have been a fairly good chance we would have blown through the rest of our schedule undefeated, setting up a showdown with the Bill Walton UCLA team in the NCAA. With Chones gone and the bigoted NCAA chasing Marquette anyway it could (thank you Adolph Rupp), our team was in disarray. To bring us in with only four losses for the year suggests Al did one heck of a coaching job.

Had Mr. Chones stayed, our starting front line in 1972-1973 would have been Mr. Chones, Maurice Lucas and Larry McNeill. An extremely powerful front line to go with Marcus Washington and Allie McGuire. WOW! That was a team. But, it never was and we lost in Nashville to a then very young Bobby Knight and his Indiana Hoosiers.

Aaah, what could have been.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #139 on: June 11, 2021, 02:23:13 PM »
I read the data differently. Last year for example, there was only one freshman invitee who stayed in the draft that wasn't on NBAdraft.net's mock draft. Garcia is not on that list. I think unless he makes a big impact at the combine, he will be back.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2021, 02:35:49 PM »

If you think Larry Bird leading Indiana St to 31 straight wins is a “useless filler” stat and that saying the last guy on the bench of that team did the same thing is an honest argument....well, I just leave it at I disagree. Strongly.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2021, 02:50:23 PM »
If you think Larry Bird leading Indiana St to 31 straight wins is a “useless filler” stat and that saying the last guy on the bench of that team did the same thing is an honest argument....well, I just leave it at I disagree. Strongly.

Goalpost shift, consecutive wins, and winning % (your original argument) are two different things.

Larry, and the last guy off the bench have the same winning % (your metric).  Winning % is a terrible metric for judging individual success or talent.  No one is saying that Chones isn't great, he unquestionably is, but by only bringing up winning % in games he played in (again, your metric), all your doing is saying that he played on great teams.  There is plenty of substance you can use to say that Chones was a great individual player, without bringing up meaningless stats.  The fact that you're trying to pad his resume with meaningless stats kind of takes away from the actual substance.

AccredoJoe

• Walk-On
« Reply #142 on: June 11, 2021, 04:04:11 PM »
Someone mentioned Kentucky blasted MU in the Chones days. Please fact check yourself. Chones left in February when MU was 20-0. That was an NCAA tourney game.He was long gone.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #143 on: June 11, 2021, 04:22:53 PM »
Warriors kicked Kentucky's ass in Athens, GA at the Mideast Regional in 1971 which set up MU vs tOSU, aka the only time Dean fouled out in high school or college. Hence, #22's only loss. Marquette was undefeated the next year when Jimmy turned pro in Feb. the day after beating Jacksonville at the Mecca, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #144 on: June 11, 2021, 04:26:35 PM »
Warriors kicked Kentucky's ass in Athens, GA at the Mideast Regional in 1971 which set up MU vs tOSU, aka the only time Dean fouled out in high school or college. Hence, #22's only loss. Marquette was undefeated the next year when Jimmy turned pro in Feb. the day after beating Jacksonville at the Mecca, hey?

Marquette vs Kentucky was the third place game, after Ohio State.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #145 on: June 11, 2021, 04:40:37 PM »
Someone mentioned Kentucky blasted MU in the Chones days. Please fact check yourself. Chones left in February when MU was 20-0. That was an NCAA tourney game.He was long gone.

No Final 4’s.  Sad
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #146 on: June 11, 2021, 04:52:06 PM »
Marquette vs Kentucky was the third place game, after Ohio State.

I stand erected, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #147 on: June 11, 2021, 05:06:28 PM »
No Final 4’s.  Sad

He could only possibly have been in one. Not appreciating what he did here is what's sad.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #148 on: June 11, 2021, 05:12:58 PM »
Rico is taking a whole lot of people for a ride on the teal train
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #149 on: June 11, 2021, 05:24:25 PM »
Rico is taking a whole lot of people for a ride on the teal train

I simply can’t keep straight how we measure players here at Scoop.  At least he never wrote a letter before quitting or maybe that would have been better?

feedback