'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What's the word on Garcia?  (Read 162251 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: What's the word on Garcia?
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2021, 12:14:07 PM »
I don't get it. There are only 30 NBA teams. And most of them are already loaded with talent. There's not much room to take college drop outs.
So you don't get that now besides NBA looking at him, European league teams will probably be looking at him? Potential salary probably at least 100k, and he can finish college whenever he wants too...
Goal is National Championship

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2021, 01:08:24 PM »
Both Garcia and Carton are most likely going to spend the next season or two well off NBA radar.  The question they have to ask is will they find places for development that exceed the program Shaka is putting together.  Given that Shaka competes with NCAA time regulations and academic requirements, they might very well.  There are a lot of ways to skin this cat and there are a number of situations better than college for development.  The key is to get your self into one of those.  It is easy to dismiss "college" but I would argue Shaka + Big East competition is a solid way to improve.

With G-League teams tied to specific NBA teams, I think they would have more exposure to the NBA than at MU. I think we sometimes think NBA scouts are just going off of what they see in ESPN.

Even if they are in Europe, they will be in radars. They were probably on nBA Scout radars on the AAU circuit.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2021, 01:23:56 PM »
Hope Dawson performs well in the Combine. It is in MU's interest to put more players in the NBA.

There are a lot of quality prospects on the MU  team that are eager to absorb some of Dawson's minutes.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2021, 01:32:26 PM »
Wondering out loud how many players nowadays (past 5 years), go to Europe after college, then play in the NBA for a prolonged period. Seems to me (and I could be wrong), kids nowadays will go to Europe to make some coin, those that think they have a good shot at the NBA will go G league first.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2021, 01:34:41 PM »
Wondering out loud how many players nowadays (past 5 years), go to Europe after college, then play in the NBA for a prolonged period. Seems to me (and I could be wrong), kids nowadays will go to Europe to make some coin, those that think they have a good shot at the NBA will go G league first.

Mostly because G-League teams are tied to specific NBA franchises.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2021, 01:46:02 PM »

Mostly because G-League teams are tied to specific NBA franchises.
Right, I get that. I just question those that say Garcia will be going to Europe. I think its either NBA, G league, or back to school.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2021, 01:48:02 PM »
Right, I get that. I just question those that say Garcia will be going to Europe. I think its either NBA, G league, or back to school.
Yup, certainly at this early point in his career.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2021, 01:52:40 PM »

Do European teams pay "set-for-life-after-a-few-years" money?  I honestly have no idea.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2021, 01:55:24 PM »
Do European teams pay "set-for-life-after-a-few-years" money?  I honestly have no idea.

Not set for life money but a few pay more than I make with a masters and a job in stem at 30yrs old.

If I was good at basketball and had the option of 6 figures at 19yrs old vs a feel good story about having a degree so I could work at enterprise working crap hours for 10yrs of crap money while cheersing with old people at alumni feel good events... well I know which route id take.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 02:48:49 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2021, 01:58:52 PM »
Not saying he will, but saying it will be a choice he will have.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2021, 02:01:42 PM »
Players who can not make the NBA , use the  foreign leagues to make a living playing basketball. It is not an easy or preferred way to go. Also the majority of players overseas are not making big dollars and have a hard time finding work no matter how talented they are. Look at Dwight Buycks for an example, had some stints in the NBA but couldn't stick. Has bounced around many teams and leagues overseas , was most recently cut from his French league team. Another good example is Lazar . First round draft choice but couldn't stick in the league. Tried to hang on through G League but nothing happened, went overseas for a year , tried to find work in the upper tier leagues but could not find any and was not willing to go the lower tier route the Dominic James did. So now Lazar is out of basketball.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

1SE

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2021, 03:15:45 PM »
Players who can not make the NBA , use the  foreign leagues to make a living playing basketball. It is not an easy or preferred way to go. Also the majority of players overseas are not making big dollars and have a hard time finding work no matter how talented they are. Look at Dwight Buycks for an example, had some stints in the NBA but couldn't stick. Has bounced around many teams and leagues overseas , was most recently cut from his French league team. Another good example is Lazar . First round draft choice but couldn't stick in the league. Tried to hang on through G League but nothing happened, went overseas for a year , tried to find work in the upper tier leagues but could not find any and was not willing to go the lower tier route the Dominic James did. So now Lazar is out of basketball.

What's Lazar doing now? Couldn't find anything recent with some moderate googling.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2021, 03:32:14 PM »
What's Lazar doing now? Couldn't find anything recent with some moderate googling.

On an interview with Homer he said he's doing real estate.
Maigh Eo for Sam

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2021, 03:35:08 PM »
Can't spell Garcia without G-O-W-N-E

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2021, 03:41:36 PM »

Haunted houses?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2021, 03:46:24 PM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2021, 03:59:58 PM »
So you don't get that now besides NBA looking at him, European league teams will probably be looking at him? Potential salary probably at least 100k, and he can finish college whenever he wants too...
Sounds like the end of college ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2021, 04:03:59 PM »
Sounds like the end of college ball.

Why?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2021, 04:07:30 PM »
Haunted houses?

I've been watching House Hunters: Comedians on Couches on Discovery+.
There is an episode where this couple was looking for a house outside Boston and one of the guy's criteria was no ghosts.  The whole episode he gave his thoughts on ghosts on the houses they were checking out and the comedians were loving it. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2021, 04:37:36 PM »
I've been watching House Hunters: Comedians on Couches on Discovery+.
There is an episode where this couple was looking for a house outside Boston and one of the guy's criteria was no ghosts.  The whole episode he gave his thoughts on ghosts on the houses they were checking out and the comedians were loving it.

I hope nobody booed.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2021, 05:21:51 PM »
Can't spell Garcia without G-O-W-N-E

Actually you can. Pretty easily. Just gotta get that G.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2021, 05:31:00 PM »
It was on that same interview , when he said he was still trying to play but couldn't find a home to play that wasn't in a war torn country.

He also came clean on the ghosts.
                       ---Al McGuire

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2021, 05:58:46 PM »
Why?
If so many kids want to skip college for the quick money and play ball in Timbuktu. That’s why. I’d only target kids that want a degree. Do you remember student athletes. College ball is a lot more fun to watch than the NBA and Timbuktu.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2021, 06:22:56 PM »
If so many kids want to skip college for the quick money and play ball in Timbuktu. That’s why. I’d only target kids that want a degree. Do you remember student athletes. College ball is a lot more fun to watch than the NBA and Timbuktu.

Was Al McGuire wrong for steering Jim Chones to a professional career?  I’m not sure there’s been a time in history college basketball has ever been about the student athlete.  Big-time college basketball has always been about the university selling itself and making money.  Reading John Gasaway’s book, “Miracles on the Hardwood”, really reinforces that notion.  You want real student athletes?  Ok.  Get rid of all athletic scholarships
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2021, 06:25:11 PM »
LOL
So no Doc, no Wade among others. And plenty incredibly nice cities you can play at. Most of the guys in the early 80's team were not interested in a degree, that was obvious.

feedback