[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What's the word on Garcia?  (Read 162256 times)

genious expert

• Team Captain
Re: What's the word on Garcia?
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2021, 08:53:49 AM »
I was curious so here's what happened with each of the NCAA Freshman who were invited to the combine the last 2 years.
44 Total Invites.
31 Drafted
8 GLeague
5 Back to NCAA

2020   Pick #
Anthony Edwards   1
Cassius Stanley   54
Cole Anthony   15
Isaac Okoro   5
Isaiah Stewart   16
Jaden McDaniels   28
Jahmi'us Ramsey   43
James Wiseman   2
Josh Green   18
Kahlil Whitney   Gleague
Kofi Cockburn   NCAA
Nico Mannion   48
Onyeka Okongwu   6
Patrick Williams   4
Precious Achiuwa   20
Trendon Watford   NCAA
Tyrell Terry   31
Tyrese Maxey   21
Vernon Carey   32
Zeke Nnaji   22

2019   Pick #
RJ Barrett   2
Charles Bassey   NCAA
Bol Bol   44
Ignas Brazdeikis   47
Moses Brown   Gleague 2way
Luguentz Dort   Gleague 2way
Devon Dotson   Gleague 2way
Darius Garland   5
Quentin Grimes   NCAA
Jaxson Hayes   8
Tyler Herro   13
Jaylen Hoard   Gleague 2way
Talen Horton Tucker   46
Keldon Johnson   29
Louis King   Gleague 2way
Romeo Langford   14
Nassir Little   25
Kevin Porter Jr   30
Neemias Queta   NCAA
Cam Reddish   10
Naz Reid   Gleague 2way
Simi craptu   Gleague
Coby White   7
Zion Williamson   1

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2021, 08:54:16 AM »
So the only way you can be considered an NBA talent is if teams trade up to draft you?

People keep acting like its 15-20 years ago when if you declared and didn't get drafted, that your odds were really long ever making it to the Show.  That is simply not the case any longer.  The NBA has done a lot better with player development over the last decade.  Dedicated G-League teams, two way contracts, expanded rosters, etc. all are ways that players can develop without being in college.

I would love to have Dawson back, but I doubt he is here next year.

In the end he may be a player in the 71-100 range and will be told he won’t be drafted or picked for the elite developmental squad.   One more year of college could change that tremendously.

But your right, there are many other ways to skin a cat these days with two way contracts and the normal g-league invites.

I’m still holding sliver of hope he returns and makes Shakas first year a little more smooth.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2021, 09:01:50 AM »
Brother Shooter, I hope you're right on a lot of fronts. For us, obviously we're a much better team with Dawson than without him. We just are.

Secondly, playing for a real coach means real development. A year at Marquette should improve his draft status a year from now. Better draft status means more money.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2021, 09:04:35 AM »
In the end he may be a player in the 71-100 range and will be told he won’t be drafted or picked for the elite developmental squad.   One more year of college could change that tremendously.

But your right, there are many other ways to skin a cat these days with two way contracts and the normal g-league invites.

I’m still holding sliver of hope he returns and makes Shakas first year a little more smooth.

Yeah, I mean he COULD come back and develop in college if that is what he is advised to do.  But I look at the list the genious expert just posted...and I am not confident.

I think once you expose yourself to the possibility, it is tough to go back.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2021, 09:14:08 AM »

Yeah, I mean he COULD come back and develop in college if that is what he is advised to do.  But I look at the list the genious expert just posted...and I am not confident.

I think once you expose yourself to the possibility, it is tough to go back.

Yeah,  I didn’t see that list before I posted.  My sliver of hope just got a lot smaller.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2021, 09:19:58 AM »
Garcia is the second player today, along with Morsell, that some Scoopers are saying doesn't "move the needle" much. And now that I think about it, I believe some said the same about DJ when he decided to leave.

I guess the MU needle is so stubborn it's difficult to move it.

Garcia was a burger boy who led all BEast freshmen in scoring and rebounding despite playing under The Worst Coach In College Basketball History. LOTS of college athletes get a LOT better between their freshman and sophomore seasons.

I'd sure as hell like to see how he moves the needle for us this coming season.

And I'm not sure how it could be spun as anything but a bad loss for the program if he goes. The program will survive. It's bigger than one player. But him leaving would not be a good thing, so I'm sorry to hear what TAMU just said.

Well said. Our ceiling next year is drastically different depending on what Garcia does.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2021, 09:27:30 AM »
Is there a list posted somewhere of invitees?

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2021, 09:54:06 AM »
Is there a list posted somewhere of invitees?

I think the invites just went out over the past day or two to the players chosen, but I don't think there's a comprehensive list (yet). 

I did see that a Minneapolis sportscaster posted yesterday that Dawson is going to the combine (https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/1402325978215456772).  However, I don't know if he has inside info of an actual invite, or if he was just making an assumption? 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2021, 09:56:01 AM »
I was curious so here's what happened with each of the NCAA Freshman who were invited to the combine the last 2 years.
44 Total Invites.
31 Drafted
8 GLeague
5 Back to NCAA

Well damn...you and your so-called "facts" and "recent historical data" just bummed me out.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2021, 09:58:50 AM »
Well damn...you and your so-called "facts" and "recent historical data" just bummed me out.
Wondering what their rankings were on NBadraft.net  etc before the draft, meaning were all of these freshman considered "locks" after the combine, or were many of them not likely to be drafted but were anyway.

Edit: Only 1 person from last year stayed in the draft that wasn't in NBAdraft.net's prediction. Khalil Whitney.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 10:52:12 AM by lawdog77 »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2021, 10:01:40 AM »
This team is going to stink next year if Dawson leaves.  Shaka hasn’t brought in any players better than him or DJ.  People here dismissing Dawson as no big loss must know more than NBA people

Losing Dawson takes this team from top 80ish to a top 125ish. Still bad either way, but no Dawson removes all chances of a respectable season.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 10:03:36 AM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2021, 10:04:30 AM »
Losing Dawson takes this team from top 80ish to a top 125ish. Still bad either way, but no Dawson removes all chances of a respectable season.

80ish and at least we may have an NIT to look at which I'd take over Wojo's first year.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2021, 10:25:02 AM »

Exactly!  I was cautiously optimistic before I read this. Oh well. Next year will be rough. Still like the young guys and still optimistic for a few years from now.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2021, 10:50:13 AM »
80ish and at least we may have an NIT to look at which I'd take over Wojo's first year.

Just not having Wojo makes us better, though - Dawson or no Dawson. I was also chagrined by the stats the genius posted, but still feel better than the last few years - now there is hope.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2021, 11:02:23 AM »
Jonathan Givony
@DraftExpress
Every NBA team submitted votes for 70 players for the NBA Combine and G League Elite Camp today. Around 100 players will be invited after the tally count to participate in one of the two camps. With the Combine dates pushed back a month, expect quite a few int'l players to attend

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1400903980969041923

There are 355 NBA Draft entrants so far and Garcia was one of 100 invited to the combine. 60 of those will get drafted.
I think it's pretty safe to say he's an NBA talent.

I don't get it. There are only 30 NBA teams. And most of them are already loaded with talent. There's not much room to take college drop outs.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2021, 11:04:05 AM »
I don't get it. There are only 30 NBA teams. And most of them are already loaded with talent. There's not much room to take college drop outs.

#postsfrom1982
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2021, 11:05:02 AM »
Just not having Wojo makes us better, though - Dawson or no Dawson. I was also chagrined by the stats the genius posted, but still feel better than the last few years - now there is hope.

I’m here with my thinking as well. 

The initial enthusiasm of his hire and apparently keeping the best players around has waned dramatically.  The talent infusion looks familiar.  The coaching should be better, we all think.  Just going to be a lot of Arby’s in 2021-22
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2021, 11:05:52 AM »

Having a college degree is pretty irrelevant when it comes to the NBA
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2021, 11:12:24 AM »
I agree, he is probably a top 70-100 kid, 
But has a lot to work on, better to comeback and try and get Top 30 where the real money is to be had.  To many weaknesses in his game but if he does not want to go to school I can see it? The bigger mistake might be Carton, was he in Top 100?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2021, 11:52:46 AM »
If you thought you were a year away from being top 30 why wouldn't you go now, play against better competition in the G-League vs college, get paid, be able to focus on you game full time, and not have to deal with school?  I don't know what's being said to DG, but I can certainly understand the reasons for leaving, even if he doesn't get drafted.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2021, 11:54:50 AM »
Both Garcia and Carton are most likely going to spend the next season or two well off NBA radar.  The question they have to ask is will they find places for development that exceed the program Shaka is putting together.  Given that Shaka competes with NCAA time regulations and academic requirements, they might very well.  There are a lot of ways to skin this cat and there are a number of situations better than college for development.  The key is to get your self into one of those.  It is easy to dismiss "college" but I would argue Shaka + Big East competition is a solid way to improve.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2021, 11:57:56 AM »
If you thought you were a year away from being top 30 why wouldn't you go now, play against better competition in the G-League vs college, get paid, be able to focus on you game full time, and not have to deal with school?  I don't know what's being said to DG, but I can certainly understand the reasons for leaving, even if he doesn't get drafted.

Theres a massive difference in being drafted in the first round, vs. second, or not even being drafted.  Henry got set for life with a $5M contract.  Now he is fumbling
around, but he should have $3M in the bank at 24 or so.  Not bad.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2021, 12:00:19 PM »
Both Garcia and Carton are most likely going to spend the next season or two well off NBA radar.  The question they have to ask is will they find places for development that exceed the program Shaka is putting together.  Given that Shaka competes with NCAA time regulations and academic requirements, they might very well.  There are a lot of ways to skin this cat and there are a number of situations better than college for development.  The key is to get your self into one of those.  It is easy to dismiss "college" but I would argue Shaka + Big East competition is a solid way to improve.

Carton signed with an agent, so he has no return path to MU.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2021, 12:02:36 PM »
Theres a massive difference in being drafted in the first round, vs. second, or not even being drafted.  Henry got set for life with a $5M contract.  Now he is fumbling
around, but he should have $3M in the bank at 24 or so.  Not bad.

If you're truly a year away from being a top 30 prospect, it shouldn't matter.  Look at Markus.  I'm not saying that he'll end up being one of the best 30 in his class, but I would bet his undrafted, 2-way, bounce back and forth for the first year(s) career ends up earning more than just outside the lottery Henry over their respective careers.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2021, 12:05:49 PM »

Carton signed with an agent, so he has no return path to MU.

I understand that, but he still had to decide, will I end up in a better spot than MU.  It is possible but not guaranteed.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart