[Today at 09:13:49 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Lennys Tap
[Today at 07:56:17 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

How far away is your closest Arbys?

< 5 miles
13 (54.2%)
Exactly 5 miles
3 (12.5%)
Too far away
4 (16.7%)
Eat Arby's
4 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Should we shut MUScoop Down?  (Read 10218 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Should we shut MUScoop Down?
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2021, 06:13:50 PM »
Wet Markets should be about italian beef

Oh, would I love it if Portillo's opened a restaurant in Charlotte!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2021, 09:52:32 PM »
Oh, would I love it if Portillo's opened a restaurant in Charlotte!

Got me some wet beef at Portillos today, first outdoor dining experience with the kiddos since the pandemic began. This despite my nearest Arbys being 1.1 miles away.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2021, 07:18:18 AM »
Got me some wet beef at Portillos today, first outdoor dining experience with the kiddos since the pandemic began. This despite my nearest Arbys being 1.1 miles away.

Uh-oh ... you're looking for the death penalty here, admitting you went somewhere other than Arby's.

But oooooh ... Portillo's ... I miss it so!

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2021, 08:54:24 AM »
Okay, I'll confess, I don't understand the Portillo's love. I mean, it's fine. Good even. But people are *into* it. It's just a fast casual restaurant?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2021, 09:23:34 AM »
Okay, I'll confess, I don't understand the Portillo's love. I mean, it's fine. Good even. But people are *into* it. It's just a fast casual restaurant?

+1 I've never understood it either. It's not remotely the best hot dog, polish, Italian beef or Italian sausage and the burger's trash. Yet the Portillos around the corner is always backed up around the parking lot.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2021, 10:16:44 AM »
+1 I've never understood it either. It's not remotely the best hot dog, polish, Italian beef or Italian sausage and the burger's trash. Yet the Portillos around the corner is always backed up around the parking lot.

Man, even the Portillo's in River North had a line of cars down the block during the pandemic. There are better italian beefs to be had with no additional inconvenience if you have a car in the city. I suppose their upside is that they have a varied enough menu that a family can all order their favorite food from one spot.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2021, 12:32:57 PM »

For us ex-pats from the Chicago area, Portillos is the best we got, usually.

So many good beef/dog places in Chicago and the suburbs,  agree that sitting in line seems really dumb.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2021, 12:49:17 PM »

So many good beef/dog places in Chicago and the suburbs,  agree that sitting in line seems really dumb.

To be fair, it is an amazingly efficient line.  I would rather wait in a 10-car Portillo's line than a 5-car Culver's line.
Have some patience, FFS.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2021, 12:55:17 PM »
Culvers is always a "just get out of the car and go inside even for take out" type of place.

Bonus is that I just get a scoop of custard to eat while waiting.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2021, 12:55:39 PM »
Portillos was a lot better before they sold.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2021, 01:00:52 PM »
To be fair, it is an amazingly efficient line.  I would rather wait in a 10-car Portillo's line than a 5-car Culver's line.

Yup.  And when you consider the quality of food on top of it, it's not even a debate.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2021, 01:18:23 PM »
For us ex-pats from the Chicago area, Portillos is the best we got, usually.

I definitely can understand it in the snow bird communities and such. But even then, Al's beef had a Scottsdale location and didn't get near the attention. I'm in Forest park now days, there's at least three considerably better beefs/combos within 10min (including the spot almost unanimously agreed as the best in Chicagoland) from here yet still the Portillos at Des plaines and Roosevelt will wrap around the whole parking lot. It's crazy to me.
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2021, 02:05:57 PM »
Culvers is always a "just get out of the car and go inside even for take out" type of place.

Bonus is that I just get a scoop of custard to eat while waiting.

I usually order a kid's meal.  It comes with a scoop of custard.  And Scoopie tokens.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2021, 03:50:43 PM »

Well, were money no object, I wouldn't choose Portillo's over Frontera or Alinea or Lula. I wouldn't even choose it among other "cheapish" places such as Pequod's or Xoco.

But if I'm in Chicago, and I want a beef sammich, I love me some Portillo's. I enjoy some other beef joints, too, but Portillo's is pretty ubiquitous there. When we lived in the city, we'd maybe hit Portillo's every 6 months or so.

Here in Charlotte, nothing similar exists. Someone mentioned Culver's ... we even have a few of those here now. But nothing even remotely like Portillo's dammit.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2021, 04:01:03 PM »

Well, were money no object, I wouldn't choose Portillo's over Frontera or Alinea or Lula. I wouldn't even choose it among other "cheapish" places such as Pequod's or Xoco.

But if I'm in Chicago, and I want a beef sammich, I love me some Portillo's. I enjoy some other beef joints, too, but Portillo's is pretty ubiquitous there. When we lived in the city, we'd maybe hit Portillo's every 6 months or so.

Here in Charlotte, nothing similar exists. Someone mentioned Culver's ... we even have a few of those here now. But nothing even remotely like Portillo's dammit.

Well I'd never comp it as anything other than a fast-casual restaurant. It's fine and good as a fast casual restaurant. I'm not bagging on it, honestly. I've always just been a little baffled by the degree of devotion relative to how good I feel like it is?

A similar food opinion of mine that never fails to send randos into murderous frenzies: Qdoba and Chipotle are identical Americanized-Mexican fast casual restaurants and neither is better nor worse than the other. They are equally fine and good.

<presented wrists for pending crucifixion>

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2021, 04:02:19 PM »
I definitely can understand it in the snow bird communities and such. But even then, Al's beef had a Scottsdale location and didn't get near the attention. I'm in Forest park now days, there's at least three considerably better beefs/combos within 10min (including the spot almost unanimously agreed as the best in Chicagoland) from here yet still the Portillos at Des plaines and Roosevelt will wrap around the whole parking lot. It's crazy to me.

Johnnies. Case closed.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2021, 04:30:21 PM »
Johnnies. Case closed.

100% agreed, Johnnies is the one I was referring to as the best. Is their second location remotely as good as the elmwood park one?

After Johnny's the next best I've tried are Mr Beef on Orleans and Clark Street Dogs. Freddy's in Cicero supposedly has a really good one too but I always get a sub, pizza or pasta there.

Chainwise Buona Beef > Portillos > Al's IMO.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 04:47:27 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2021, 04:44:00 PM »
100% agreed, Johnnies is the one I was referring to as the best. Is there second location remotely as good as the elmwood park one?

Arlington Heights. And hey, they take cards now.

https://roadtips.typepad.com/a_salesguys_guide_to_the_/2010/02/johnnies-beef-arlington-heights-il.html

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2021, 04:48:57 PM »
Arlington Heights. And hey, they take cards now.

https://roadtips.typepad.com/a_salesguys_guide_to_the_/2010/02/johnnies-beef-arlington-heights-il.html

Knew it was up northwest somewhere. Adding the cards is a game changer! Hope they don't do that at the original Elmwood Park spot because the already crazy line will get out of control!
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2021, 05:03:24 PM »
Knew it was up northwest somewhere. Adding the cards is a game changer! Hope they don't do that at the original Elmwood Park spot because the already crazy line will get out of control!

Well, I think we all know why it was a cash only business.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2021, 05:20:54 PM »
I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Luke's in the loop. It's been walking distance from work for a lot of my career, and they're so fast no matter how busy they get.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2021, 07:42:42 PM »
Well I'd never comp it as anything other than a fast-casual restaurant. It's fine and good as a fast casual restaurant. I'm not bagging on it, honestly. I've always just been a little baffled by the degree of devotion relative to how good I feel like it is?

A similar food opinion of mine that never fails to send randos into murderous frenzies: Qdoba and Chipotle are identical Americanized-Mexican fast casual restaurants and neither is better nor worse than the other. They are equally fine and good.

I mean, out west people worship In and Out Burger … and there sure ain’t nothing special about that joint. People get attached to their faves.

I don’t understand it at all … unless we’re talking about Leon’s, of course!!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2021, 09:06:18 PM »
I mean, out west people worship In and Out Burger … and there sure ain’t nothing special about that joint. People get attached to their faves.

I don’t understand it at all … unless we’re talking about Leon’s, of course!!

In and Out was probably the biggest disappointment in my fast food life.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2021, 09:08:27 PM »

You don't get organic, free range E coli at Qdoba.

I like Pancheros simply because before they roll the burrito, they mix up all the fixings.  No sure why no one else does that.  No more bites of just rice or just hot salsa.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2021, 09:20:51 PM »
In and Out was probably the biggest disappointment in my fast food life.

I was like: "Well, this is kinda like Mickey D's ... with worse fries."

feedback