[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Coach K retiring after this season  (Read 16930 times)

The Lens

• All American
Re: Coach K retiring
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2021, 01:37:45 PM »
I'm not entirely sure. If you put Wojo in a situation where all those 5 stars he narrowly missed on suddenly come running it might've been enough talent to overcome his horrific coaching.

Either way It doesn't matter just my opinion.

Wojo would definitely keep the talent pool stocked at Duke.  But to be fair, Scheyer and Capel probably can too.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Coach K retiring after this season
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2021, 01:40:46 PM »
Dan Wolken
@DanWolken
·
3m
I would say that Jon Scheyer, assuming he is the guy, has the worst job in college sports up until whoever replaces Nick Saban

Even if he fails miserably, he'll make enough money to never have to work again if he wants to after his one contract.  I'd take that over grinding it out in some Chicago State type job in a heartbeat.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2021, 01:44:15 PM »
<sigh>

Clearly hyperbole to show that its not the attractive job people think it would be.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2021, 01:47:33 PM »
Scheyer being named the coach-in-waiting.
Thought this was Wojos gig. Guess his abysmal job at MU nixed that. How dare they name Scherer the replacement. What a dis on Wojo-Dukiet
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2021, 02:05:04 PM »
Scheyer makes a lot of sense, just as Gard did at UW.  You replace a long-time successful coach with someone from the inside having little-to-no expectations and no previous coaching failures for fans to complain about.  Capel doesn't have that, nor does Wojo (obviously). 

If Scheyer works out, great, they're geniuses.  If he doesn't, they'll know within a year or two and will move on with a big splash hire from the outside that's one step further from K's shadow. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2021, 02:24:13 PM »
Scheyer makes a lot of sense, just as Gard did at UW.  You replace a long-time successful coach with someone from the inside having little-to-no expectations and no previous coaching failures for fans to complain about.  Capel doesn't have that, nor does Wojo (obviously). 

If Scheyer works out, great, they're geniuses.  If he doesn't, they'll know within a year or two and will move on with a big splash hire from the outside that's one step further from K's shadow.

Well done, Skip. Outstanding comment.

I love how so many people "know" that Scheyer will be bad. Maybe he will be Wojo (or worse than Wojo, as if it's possible to be worse than The Worst Coach In Basketball History) ... or maybe he'll be Roy Williams, who went from longtime assistant to being a great head coach in his own right. Or, more likely, he'll be somewhere in between those extremes.

Either way, as you said, Scheyer makes a lot of sense. The thing that surprises me most is that some folks are surprised by this.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2021, 02:45:26 PM »
Any recruits we can poach?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2021, 03:03:55 PM »
Call me cynical, but I think Coach K picked a bad replacement on purpose.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2021, 03:22:08 PM »

+1

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2021, 03:26:38 PM »
Why would he pick a bad replacement on purpose?  His legacy would be strengthened if he picks someone who succeeds. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2021, 03:27:30 PM »

I agree, at this point  Jon makes the most sense  to me.  I remember years ago when the point guard went down, Jon spent the summer learning the point.  IIRC the next year they were NCAA Champs.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2021, 03:35:28 PM »
Why would he pick a bad replacement on purpose?  His legacy would be strengthened if he picks someone who succeeds.
See how hard it is to win at this tiny little school. I am a coaching genius, wait, I am THE Coaching genius.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2021, 03:42:58 PM »
See how hard it is to win at this tiny little school. I am a coaching genius, wait, I am THE Coaching genius.

So the winningest coach in NCAA history, with 5 national championships, 12 final fours, and a slew of conference championships over the course of 40 years is scared that he would be overshadowed by his successor?  That's strange.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2021, 03:43:12 PM »

You are cynical.

I'd say overly so, but at least you're owning it.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2021, 04:41:06 PM »
So the winningest coach in NCAA history, with 5 national championships, 12 final fours, and a slew of conference championships over the course of 40 years is scared that he would be overshadowed by his successor?
Yes, that is my cynical opinion.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2021, 05:00:13 PM »

yeah, because if Scheyer does well suddenly people are going to change their opinions on K and his career. SMH.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2021, 05:13:59 PM »
Well done, Skip. Outstanding comment.

I love how so many people "know" that Scheyer will be bad. Maybe he will be Wojo (or worse than Wojo, as if it's possible to be worse than The Worst Coach In Basketball History) ... or maybe he'll be Roy Williams, who went from longtime assistant to being a great head coach in his own right. Or, more likely, he'll be somewhere in between those extremes.

Either way, as you said, Scheyer makes a lot of sense. The thing that surprises me most is that some folks are surprised by this.

Scheyer has been an assistant at Duke for 6 years.  Under a notorious control freak who has an exceptionally mediocre coaching tree given the program.

Roy Williams was a HS coach for 5-6 years and then a decade under Dean Smith, who had a reputation for spinning out great coaches under his tutelage.

Scheyer may turn out to be a great coach, but calling him a longtime assistant, much less a similar situation going into this job as Roy Williams, is apples to oranges IMO.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2021, 05:22:08 PM »
Man  how some people can actually believe that K picked a weak link because he wanted to preserve his legacy
Others point out that his resume is overwhelming. Outside of Wooden, the best in history. And maybe better than Wooden. Unless somebody wants to make the case for Wojo-Dukiet
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2021, 05:59:36 PM »
Hiring Sheyer is a bit of a joke

Coach Ks coaching “ tree “ is terrible
( either disasters or mediocrity)  Sheyer is really the only one not to fail, cuz he has not had a chance

I say this lasts 2 to 3 years ... max.

But good riddance to K.  Cannot stand the man

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2021, 06:30:54 PM »
Scheyer has been an assistant at Duke for 6 years.  Under a notorious control freak who has an exceptionally mediocre coaching tree given the program.

Roy Williams was a HS coach for 5-6 years and then a decade under Dean Smith, who had a reputation for spinning out great coaches under his tutelage.

Scheyer may turn out to be a great coach, but calling him a longtime assistant, much less a similar situation going into this job as Roy Williams, is apples to oranges IMO.

Next season will be Scheyer's 8th on K's bench, his 7th as full assistant (which he became after spending 2013-14 as "special assistant"), and his 4th as associate head coach. That after a 4-year playing career learning under K and his assistants, the last of which where he learned how to be a PG and became the proverbial "coach on the floor" for a national championship team.

Whether 8 years qualifies as "longtime" is a matter of semantics. You are correct that he has zero head coaching experience at any level, and that's almost surely not a good thing. You also are correct that K has not been a groomer of great coaches.

Scheyer might end up being a horrible, horrible coach. Or he might be end up being very good. We'll see! The one thing we all know is that nobody knows. We do all have opinions, though.

I'd be surprised if he is a huge success, but I'd say that about anybody who takes over for the legend.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2021, 06:46:55 PM »

So if the options, as reported, we're Dawkins, Amaker, Wojo, Collins, and Scheyer... All those guys but Jon would probably be done as head coaches if they flamed out at Duke after mediocre results in prior gigs. I do wonder if that played into the thought process at all.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2021, 06:56:19 PM »
He's a bit of a career journeyman, and I doubt that he'd give up his NBA gig, but it sure seems convenient that the folks here that think that Coach K has a less than stellar coaching tree are omitting the coach of the team with the best record in the NBA this season...  Just saying.   

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2021, 07:02:54 PM »
He's a bit of a career journeyman, and I doubt that he'd give up his NBA gig, but it sure seems convenient that the folks here that think that Coach K has a less than stellar coaching tree are omitting the coach of the team with the best record in the NBA this season...  Just saying.   

because it's hard to overlook his snorting, er, flaming out at Missouri.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2021, 07:36:42 PM »

Good catch.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2021, 07:52:37 PM »
because it's hard to overlook his snorting, er, flaming out at Missouri.

Kinda missed the point completely but okay.

I was not advocating for Synder to be a candidate, or get the job (although Duke would 100% take him and overlook his ...transgressions... from 15 years ago considering his resume since) I even said that he wouldn't want it.  But, a significant portion of people here, when looking at the K coaching tree, are pretty much blinded by the one name that patrolled our sideline.  There are better options out there than Scheyer IMO, but there's no way that K wasn't going to be able to name who he wanted, and I guess Jon is that guy.

feedback