collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: CDC suspends social distancing and masks if fully vaccinated  (Read 33001 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
https://www.npr.org/2021/05/13/996705810/shopping-without-a-mask-depends-on-where-you-live-despite-new-cdc-guidelines

I guess it will take a few days or weeks for businesses to decide how to handle the new guideline. I am in the camp that if you are not vaccinated it is up to you if you want to mask or not and accept the risk of getting sick. Vaccinated folks don't have to be as concerned or worried. However I will comply with mask wearing if the business still requires I do so.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 05:43:44 AM by muwarrior69 »

lawdog77

• All American
Re: CDC suspends social distancing and masks if fully vaccinated
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 06:43:08 AM »
. I am in the camp that if you are not vaccinated it is up to you if you want to mask or not and accept the risk of getting sick.
Not to start an argument, as that is not what message boards are for, but IF YOU ARE NOT VACCINATED, WEARING A MASK IS NOT MAINLY ABOUT KEEPING YOURSELF HEALTHY, IT IS ABOUT STOPPING THE SPREAD

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 07:39:50 AM »
Not to start an argument, as that is not what message boards are for, but IF YOU ARE NOT VACCINATED, WEARING A MASK IS NOT MAINLY ABOUT KEEPING YOURSELF HEALTHY, IT IS ABOUT STOPPING THE SPREAD

But that is why they lifted the order.  Science is showing that those who are vaccinated do not spread the virus.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 07:59:47 AM »
But that is why they lifted the order.  Science is showing that those who are vaccinated do not spread the virus.
I agree, but the OP states for those who are NOT vaccinated, it is up to you if you want to wear the mask

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 08:03:28 AM »
Let's be real here.  People aren't going to be wearing masks regardless of their vaccination status.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 10:13:30 AM »
Connecticut Governor announced last night he's lifting the masking order, for vaccinated people, on May 19.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 10:58:15 AM »
Let's be real here.  People aren't going to be wearing masks regardless of their vaccination status.

Totally agree.

For the last year, a significant percentage of Americans have worn masks only when absolutely forced to. Zillions chose to go sans masks to Sturgis or to political rallies or to protests or to other large events (that turned out to be superspreader events).

So the idea that millions will "out" themselves as unvaccinated and will do the intelligent, unselfish thing by wearing masks ... as you say, ain't gonna happen.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 11:12:54 AM »
Totally agree.

For the last year, a significant percentage of Americans have worn masks only when absolutely forced to. Zillions chose to go sans masks to Sturgis or to political rallies or to protests or to other large events (that turned out to be superspreader events).

So the idea that millions will "out" themselves as unvaccinated and will do the intelligent, unselfish thing by wearing masks ... as you say, ain't gonna happen.
Can't the government just scan people for their chips that were implemented at vaccination?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 11:34:07 AM »
To be honest, as a vaccinated person, I will be ignoring this.

A) Businesses will continue to enforce their mandates because it's too difficult and confrontational to attempt to have quality gates.
B) There's enough distrust out in society right now that I don't want to be accused of being an anti-vaxxer
C) Virtue signaling

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 11:45:12 AM »
We have a mask mandate on campus.  So if you are inside a building, you have to be masked unless you are in your personal workspace with appropriate spacing.

So far today, I have had two people who have asked if we are lifting this mandate based on the announcement yesterday.  And they are people who took Covid quite seriously and are vaxxed up.

People are weary.  Yesterday's message I think felt quite liberating for many.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 11:52:32 AM »

A) Businesses will continue to enforce their mandates because it's too difficult and confrontational to attempt to have quality gates.
B) There's enough distrust out in society right now that I don't want to be accused of being an anti-vaxxer
C) Virtue signaling

This +

I'm sure other factors have contributed to it (social distancing etc.), but the number of times that I've had even normal illness/colds has practically been zero over the last 18 months (only sick days have been when I ate something that my body really didn't agree with).  Plus, wearing a mask is literally the smallest inconvenience I can think of.  It's just like wearing glasses, where I forget I have it on after about 5 minutes.  I will gladly enjoy going to sporting events/concerts again, but the only reason I can think of not to do those masked, is if I'm going to be eating/drinking, which I almost never do because of the absurd prices.  Glad to be able to go out and do things again, but will probably do them masked.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 11:52:45 AM »

C) Virtue signaling

I rarely wear a mask outside, especially when I'm running, biking, or hiking. I do carry one and put it on if I'm walking by a crowded area. I'll continue to respect private business rules if they require them (restaurants, gyms, stores), but I won't give into mask shaming (the PNW has a lot of those who go after people who don't wear masks). Considering I didn't get a cold or the flu over the winter mask-wearing in certain circumstances is something I'll continue.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2021, 12:46:53 PM »
I rarely wear a mask outside, especially when I'm running, biking, or hiking. I do carry one and put it on if I'm walking by a crowded area. I'll continue to respect private business rules if they require them (restaurants, gyms, stores), but I won't give into mask shaming (the PNW has a lot of those who go after people who don't wear masks). Considering I didn't get a cold or the flu over the winter mask-wearing in certain circumstances is something I'll continue.

As a fellow PNW resident, people back in the midwest are shocked when I've told them that most people wear masks walking down the sidewalk out here. Even if you drive a county or two over, it's like the mask mandate doesn't exist.

That said, I saw a noticeable difference in the amount of people maskless outside yesterday. I honestly did not expect a turnaround this quick, mostly because of the peer pressure you pointed out, but it shows that just about everyone is eager to ditch the masks once they know it's safe. It feels good to finally be going back to normal.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2021, 01:39:52 PM »
We have a mask mandate on campus.  So if you are inside a building, you have to be masked unless you are in your personal workspace with appropriate spacing.

So far today, I have had two people who have asked if we are lifting this mandate based on the announcement yesterday.  And they are people who took Covid quite seriously and are vaxxed up.

People are weary.  Yesterday's message I think felt quite liberating for many.

This is a good post. I no longer feel ANY compulsion to wear a mask. Yet I will do it out of respect for people in businesses that require it.

And yes, I feel totally liberated. I was just at a Stein's store - outdoors area - and did not wear a mask. Probably 75% of people WERE still wearing them. I didn't notice one single person looking at me like I was doing something wrong.

Happy days are returning. While Biden deserves a lot of credit for the logistics of getting us to this point, it is the American people (the majority, anyways) who made this happen.

It's often hard to feel that way with everything that's happening, but it is a great sign for our future.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2021, 01:55:57 PM »
LOL, too difficult to acknowledge President Trump's role in getting the vaccine developed, into production, and ready for American arms by December 2020. Shame on you, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2021, 02:09:18 PM »
LOL, too difficult to acknowledge President Trump's role in getting the vaccine developed, into production, and ready for American arms by December 2020. Shame on you, aina?

He certainly deserves some credit.  Though it would be a lot better if he publicly took the vaccine and promoted taking it as much as he promotes other concepts. 

Imagine if he went on Tucker Carlson and said Take the Vaccine.  Imagine if he told Ron Johnson to shut up. 

He might just guarantee his W in 2024.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2021, 02:25:36 PM »
The Lens,

All that might have been a good idea, but it does not take away Trump's contribution to the vaccine. I really struggle with folks being unable to acknowledge anything good from the right without having a criticism or disclaimer.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2021, 02:32:34 PM »
The Lens,

All that might have been a good idea, but it does not take away Trump's contribution to the vaccine. I really struggle with folks being unable to acknowledge anything good from the right without having a criticism or disclaimer.

First, I have to laugh at underlined being said to me, as I have been a card carrying GOPer my whole life. 

Second, Operation Warp Speed was amazing but it wasn't ground breaking.  Pfizer & Germany’s BioNTech beat Warp Speed to market, the US wasn't the first to receive vaccines and nearly a dozen other vaccines have been developed.   Essentially Trump kept pace with the rest of the world.  Feels kinda like the Wojo era, meh.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 02:34:08 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2021, 02:34:58 PM »
Interesting how the vaccine was announced by the drug companies right after Nov. 3, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2021, 02:39:14 PM »
Interesting how the vaccine was announced by the drug companies right after Nov. 3, hey?

I'm not Aaron Rodgers, I don't traffic in conspiracy theories. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2021, 02:41:51 PM »
Lens you might be about to follow in the footsteps of Liz Cheney if you don't get on board!
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2021, 02:45:08 PM »
Lens you might be about to follow in the footsteps of Liz Cheney if you don't get on board!

I'm definitely Team Liz.  Or put another way, I'm homeless.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2021, 02:46:36 PM »

Wouldn't have mattered if he took it more seriously from the beginning. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2021, 02:46:44 PM »
As a fellow PNW resident, people back in the midwest are shocked when I've told them that most people wear masks walking down the sidewalk out here. Even if you drive a county or two over, it's like the mask mandate doesn't exist.

That said, I saw a noticeable difference in the amount of people maskless outside yesterday. I honestly did not expect a turnaround this quick, mostly because of the peer pressure you pointed out, but it shows that just about everyone is eager to ditch the masks once they know it's safe. It feels good to finally be going back to normal.

I was running one evening (downtown, which is even more dead at night than normal) and not wearing a mask. This woman walked in the direction I was running and started yelling at me for not wearing a mask. What amused me is she pulled down her mask to do it.

One response to how people are responding to mask mandates I've seen is "I'm going to wear a mask because I don't want to be looked as a Trump supporter." There's some hardcore virtue signaling. But them it does hit on the articles I posted elsewhere about some who "can't quit the pandemic" due to partisan beliefs.

“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2021, 02:47:32 PM »
4ever has it nailed, we’ve come a long way in a year.  This is the one year anniversary of “if we didn’t do testing we would have very few cases”.

feedback