Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Patrick Baldwin to UWM  (Read 13842 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Patrick Baldwin to UWM
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2021, 09:40:56 PM »
Again, there is no way it would be a one off game.  Scheduling a series to play one game when UWM is relevant for a minute and then sacrificing scheduling spots later on is dumb.

And no, there would be no buzz post PBJ.  They haven’t averaged more than 2500 fans in 5+ years.  There isn’t buzz around Louisville when UL plays Bellarmine.  There isn’t buzz when Georgia Tech plays Kennesaw St.  This idea that a UWM-MU series is lacking or desired by more than 2-3000 people is silly.    If Marquette beat a bad UWM team by 30 when PBJ scores 25, the anticipation for next years matchup when he’s in the NBA would be no different than IUPUI

OK.

I never talked about any series. I was just responding to a post that said there would be no buzz if we played them this coming season.

Again, I think there’d have to be at least a little.

Beyond next season, I don’t know and I don’t care.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2021, 03:03:38 PM »
I believe UWM is headed down to Florida to play the Gators in November.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2021, 06:22:59 PM »
Milwaukee Business Journal reporting a big demand in increase for UWM season tickets. They might hit triple digits.

Seriously though:

•   The phone started ringing about 10 seconds after Patrick Baldwin Jr. announced his commitment to play basketball at UW-Milwaukee next year.
•   Within 24 hours of the news, UW-Milwaukee’s athletic department sold more than 200 new season ticket memberships, generating more than $40,000 in revenue, said Martinez. At one point, he thought the ticket website had crashed because of the sudden influx of online traffic. As of Monday morning, new season memberships totaled 350 and $63,000 in revenue.
•   Based on initial interest, UW-Milwaukee anticipates a 70% increase in 2021-22 season ticket sales compared to the 2019-20 season, which saw a total of 485 members, according to Adam Schemm, senior associate athletic director for external relations.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2021, 07:39:29 PM »
Stupid comment. 41-0. Enough said.  And it’s financially stupid.

The fear of playing UWM from Marquette alum and fans is bewildering

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2021, 07:56:01 PM »
Stupid comment. 41-0. Enough said.  And it’s financially stupid.

41-0, yet a lot of excuses not to play them.  I agree a home and home is ridiculous. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2021, 08:05:23 PM »
Milwaukee Business Journal reporting a big demand in increase for UWM season tickets. They might hit triple digits.

Seriously though:

•   The phone started ringing about 10 seconds after Patrick Baldwin Jr. announced his commitment to play basketball at UW-Milwaukee next year.
•   Within 24 hours of the news, UW-Milwaukee’s athletic department sold more than 200 new season ticket memberships, generating more than $40,000 in revenue, said Martinez. At one point, he thought the ticket website had crashed because of the sudden influx of online traffic. As of Monday morning, new season memberships totaled 350 and $63,000 in revenue.
•   Based on initial interest, UW-Milwaukee anticipates a 70% increase in 2021-22 season ticket sales compared to the 2019-20 season, which saw a total of 485 members, according to Adam Schemm, senior associate athletic director for external relations.

Good for them but those numbers are baffling and speak to the program’s struggles.  Less than 500 season ticket holders for a school with D1 basketball in a significant city that graduates roughly 50K alumni each decade, the majority of whom are locals

41-0, yet a lot of excuses not to play them.  I agree a home and home is ridiculous. 

Cause eventually you’ll have to give up a home game.  To play a bad team in a crap gym in front of mostly your own fans, yet you don’t get the revenue.  That’s not worth it, even for a 3 v 1.  If they were fine always playing at the Fiserv, then sure

And “good for basketball in the city” that supposedly would have so much buzz…for a program with less than 500 season ticket holders.  There was probably the same amount of alumni buzz and attendance when Marquette played St Norbert
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 08:07:23 PM by JWags85 »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2021, 10:19:59 PM »

Seriously though:

Exhibit #1 why NIL deals are much more fair than the current system.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2021, 11:28:32 PM »
My opinion on playing UWM is the same today as it always has been. If the Marquette AD thinks it makes financial sense to play the game AND the Marquette coach sees no competitive disadvantage to playing the game, then play. If either has a legitimate reason for not playing, then don't.

If MU has averaged 5 "buy games" a season, that means in the last 40+ years, I've seen well over 200 of these dogs. They all look alike.

And it kind of begs the question. If UWM can't draw more than 900 of its own "fans" to the Arena for a Saturday night Horizon League game, why would anyone expect Marquette to put 17,000 people in Fiserv Forumn to watch that same UWM team???

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2021, 08:39:13 AM »
My opinion on playing UWM is the same today as it always has been. If the Marquette AD thinks it makes financial sense to play the game AND the Marquette coach sees no competitive disadvantage to playing the game, then play. If either has a legitimate reason for not playing, then don't.

If MU has averaged 5 "buy games" a season, that means in the last 40+ years, I've seen well over 200 of these dogs. They all look alike.

And it kind of begs the question. If UWM can't draw more than 900 of its own "fans" to the Arena for a Saturday night Horizon League game, why would anyone expect Marquette to put 17,000 people in Fiserv Forumn to watch that same UWM team???

I'm not sure why people are so upset that some MU fans would want to see one of our buy games be against a team with a potential lottery pick.  Will it sell out?  No... Maybe draw a few thousand extra fans?  Yeah, probably.   That's better than University of Random Small Town that one usually plays as a buy game.   No one is saying do a home and home.  So what's the down side?   Potentially losing?  That's a piss poor reason.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2021, 09:01:40 AM »
I'm not sure why people are so upset that some MU fans would want to see one of our buy games be against a team with a potential lottery pick.  Will it sell out?  No... Maybe draw a few thousand extra fans?  Yeah, probably.   That's better than University of Random Small Town that one usually plays as a buy game.   No one is saying do a home and home.  So what's the down side?   Potentially losing?  That's a piss poor reason.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2021, 09:10:17 AM »
Didn't the Horizon have a rule in place for OOC games with high majors where it had to be a 2 for 1?

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2021, 09:54:35 AM »
Didn't the Horizon have a rule in place for OOC games with high majors where it had to be a 2 for 1?

I don't think so. I believe UWM's last deal with Badgers was 4 for 1 or 5 for 1.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2021, 09:58:29 AM »
I don't think its a hard and fast rule, but I do believe the Horizon League frowns on their members taking buy games.  And they aren't the only conference to do so.  That is usually why MU has to search out games from the likes of the SWAC.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2021, 10:13:03 AM »
For as long as I can remember MU has been touting the 16 game home model.  In that time we've joined the Big East and gotten a much bigger share ESPN deal, then we joined the NBE and got an even bigger NBE deal, then we moved to the Fiserv where home games are not as lucrative bc of the higher rent.

My point is there is more than one way to balance a budget.  Playing UWM at the MECCA every 3rd year should not upend our financial situation. 

Here's an idea:

Play UWM at the Mecca...

Send me my season ticket package.  Allow me to check a box for tickets at UWM for $30 /per.  Give UWM $20 per ticket (their best regular ticket cost $21).   I would guess a good percentage of MU STHers would do this and it would be a win-win for MU & UWM.   

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2021, 10:19:31 AM »
For as long as I can remember MU has been touting the 16 game home model.  In that time we've joined the Big East and gotten a much bigger share ESPN deal, then we joined the NBE and got an even bigger NBE deal, then we moved to the Fiserv where home games are not as lucrative bc of the higher rent.

My point is there is more than one way to balance a budget.  Playing UWM at the MECCA every 3rd year should not upend our financial situation. 

Here's an idea:

Play UWM at the Mecca...

Send me my season ticket package.  Allow me to check a box for tickets at UWM for $30 /per.  Give UWM $20 per ticket (their best regular ticket cost $21).   I would guess a good percentage of MU STHers would do this and it would be a win-win for MU & UWM.   

Based on how UWM handled tickets the last time, I’m not sure they would give MU a sweet way to build it into their season ticket package.

While home games may not be as lucrative, I have to imagine the finances still promote that. With the added road game in the BE season, it seems like we are reserving road games for marquee matchups or neutral court events.

Not saying it can’t happen, but I don’t know that a road game with UWM is really in the cards.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2021, 10:20:29 AM »
I get the idea of playing UWM this year.  But why would we want to play them every year?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2021, 10:31:36 AM »
Based on how UWM handled tickets the last time, I’m not sure they would give MU a sweet way to build it into their season ticket package.

While home games may not be as lucrative, I have to imagine the finances still promote that. With the added road game in the BE season, it seems like we are reserving road games for marquee matchups or neutral court events.

Not saying it can’t happen, but I don’t know that a road game with UWM is really in the cards.

Last time when we played them at USCell the attendance was 7120 with a pretty good UWM team, whereas we could go 15,000+ at FF. More so, UWM may get a bigger bounce to actually play one game at a top notch MKE facility with a more than few folks in the stands.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 10:40:50 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2021, 10:32:55 AM »
I get the idea of playing UWM this year.  But why would we want to play them every year?

Under the right circumstance I'd be fine with it. If you can get them to agree to a lower price than other buy opponents because they are crossing the street instead of crossing the country, go for it. Lower expense, likely higher home game revenue because you will get some of their fans to come as well. If you can get a bigger draw than your typical MEAC/SWAC school at a lower price, that makes sense.

But if they want home games or the same contract size as we'd give to teams that actually have to travel and pay for hotels and airfare, forget it. They might be nice to have, but aren't need to have.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2021, 12:03:03 PM »
I have always felt that MU would benefit from scheduling games of local interest. I would say that my thoughts  on this matter. have evolved based on various posters comments over the years as well.

My original thought was we should be scheduling games of what I called local interest, which was defined as UWM, UWGB and Loyola Chicago ( this was when Loyola sucked).  My point was that MU would attract a few thousand additional fans to the game, as well as having more of its own season ticket holders show up.

Some people pointed out that there was a RPI hit. My response was schedule these games instead of Chicago State, Grambling etc. However, now there is no RPI and instead the NET, which in part gives credit for high efficiency games. So in theory these games would be blow outs.

The notion of doing 3 for 1 etc was a good one economically. I went to UWGB MU game in 2011 and there were 15,000 people there. The upper's in the BC had a lot of fans and the lower bowl was completely full. So we definitely get the bang for the buck on the 3 home games. However, that theory got blown out the window when we lost to UWGB on the road.  The NET gives benefit for road wins. Doesn't matter if it is across the street. So there is some risk compensation in that case. 

So bottom line, these games do have risk and MU should have the right risk reward set up. I think if we went back to some kind of Milwaukee Classic style format over the holidays, it could be interesting for the fans and profitable.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2021, 12:23:54 PM »
UWGB, during that 3 and 1 stretch, had decent teams and a notable former MU player as a coach.

UWM has neither.  I’m baffled as to where this idea that a team that doesn’t draw more than 1500 fans to a game would draw 5000 additional fans to the Fiserv that wouldn’t come if MU was playing North Dakota or Jackson St. Marquette fans come to see  Marquette, I doubt the appetite for UWM from the MU contingent is that strong and there is no evidence that the casual MKE basketball fan has interest in UWM games, PBJ aside

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2021, 12:28:17 PM »
UWGB, during that 3 and 1 stretch, had decent teams and a notable former MU player as a coach.

UWM has neither.  I’m baffled as to where this idea that a team that doesn’t draw more than 1500 fans to a game would draw 5000 additional fans to the Fiserv that wouldn’t come if MU was playing North Dakota or Jackson St. Marquette fans come to see  Marquette, I doubt the appetite for UWM from the MU contingent is that strong and there is no evidence that the casual MKE basketball fan has interest in UWM games, PBJ aside

I have 3 neighbors on my block who went to UWM, would never go to a regular UWM game (bc they're depressing as hell) but who would go to  (and have gone to) a UWM-MU game.

It's like if MU had football.  Imagine their Valley Fields attendance vs Butler and Drake...now imagine how many MU fans would go see them play Wisconsin at Camp Randall.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2021, 02:13:31 PM »
The notion of doing 3 for 1 etc was a good one economically. I went to UWGB MU game in 2011 and there were 15,000 people there. The upper's in the BC had a lot of fans and the lower bowl was completely full. So we definitely get the bang for the buck on the 3 home games. However, that theory got blown out the window when we lost to UWGB on the road.  The NET gives benefit for road wins. Doesn't matter if it is across the street. So there is some risk compensation in that case.

I think the combination of the near-loss to Milwaukee in 2010 at the Mecca followed by the loss to Green Bay in 2012 ended any possibility of us ever giving up home games. I remember talking to Broeker at the time and it was very clear we weren't planning on giving any games back in the future.

Let's say you get an extra 2,000 visiting fans in those home games over a standard buy, which feels generous. That means getting 6,000 more fans in the three home games, but as Marquette sells far more season tickets than that (over 10,000 per year) it doesn't balance out the loss of a home game.

I would be fine with the idea of doing high-quality out-of-state two-for-ones. Set up three of them with, say, Northern Iowa, Toledo, and Valpo that are almost always in that 50-150 range. Likely get 3 wins a year, one on the road, and if you take a loss, it doesn't kill you. But you're not losing to an in-state opponent, because if you do that it will be the lead sports story on every local news show and newspaper.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.