[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Patrick Baldwin to UWM  (Read 14076 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: Patrick Baldwin to UWM
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2021, 10:47:14 AM »
I would say there will be certain excitement for the fans, if they start winning they might draw 5,000.  Better than 1200 they normally get

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2021, 10:49:17 AM »
Did Baldwin Sr do anything to capitalize on his son playing there?  They lost their 2nd leading scorer.  They've added a role player from USF.  They didn't schedule MU.  It's May 11th...is going 14-16 and making the Horizon Semi's going to be that great?

My guess is a contract extension for himself.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2021, 10:57:53 AM »
Honestly this is really good for UWM.  Hopefully they can use it to turn around their program a little, but my guess is that it will end up simply being a flash in the pan like McCallum at Detroit Mercy.

It will be, even less so than McCallum.  His dad actually had a decent team the year before he got there, and then he stayed 2-3 years.  And it still didn't elevate the program (and frankly hurt McCallum's draft stock).

UWM isn't going to bring in any good transfers from this.  Any future recruits wouldn't play with PBJ anyways.  And UWM may not even be projected to be top 3 in the conference even with him.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2021, 11:10:26 AM »
When Jalen Johnson quit Duke I told a friend of mine that Baldwin would be going to UWM and season tickets front and center would be easy to get ahead of the announcement.  My friend (not a UWM alum) got season tickets with his dad a couple of months ago.

I'd imagine there will be a decent amount of people who will buy season tickets just because of this.  People haven't been able to attend athletic events for a year.  You get to watch a future lottery pick for cheap in a fairly empty arena.  I'd go to some UWM games if I don't have anything going on next season.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2021, 11:18:38 AM »
I have to assume you meant to include “and stayed in Milwaukee.”

I had a glimmer of hope he’d come to MU, but I assume the only way he was staying in Milwaukee was at a school his dad was the head coach.

Correct
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2021, 11:20:00 AM »
Let's see before PBJ?

2021, Michael Foster
2020, Jalen Johnson
2019, Xzavier Jones
2018, Tyler Herro
2017, Terrence Lewis
2016, Kostas Antetokounmpo
2015, Diamond Stone
2014, Kevon Looney

I meant "and stayed in Milwaukee"
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2021, 11:28:57 AM »
It will be, even less so than McCallum.  His dad actually had a decent team the year before he got there, and then he stayed 2-3 years.  And it still didn't elevate the program (and frankly hurt McCallum's draft stock).

UWM isn't going to bring in any good transfers from this.  Any future recruits wouldn't play with PBJ anyways.  And UWM may not even be projected to be top 3 in the conference even with him.

McCallum did better at UDM than I realized. Four seasons with winning records and two post season appearances (NCAA tourney at NIT). They had been a dumpster fire the previous few years as Perry Watson mailed it in his last few years.

Trey Zeiglar is the guy who really comes to mind for me. He followed his dad to a mediocre mid major and while he was the star but it didn't translate to wins and dad was fired.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2021, 11:32:31 AM »
Let's see before PBJ?

2021, Michael Foster
2020, Jalen Johnson
2019, Xzavier Jones
2018, Tyler Herro
2017, Terrence Lewis
2016, Kostas Antetokounmpo
2015, Diamond Stone
2014, Kevon Looney

Ha!  this is exactly what I was thinking.  When was the last time it actually happened?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2021, 11:57:45 AM »
All 3500 people at the MECCA will love this
I think you added another zero by mistake.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2021, 12:52:09 PM »
McCallum did better at UDM than I realized. Four seasons with winning records and two post season appearances (NCAA tourney at NIT). They had been a dumpster fire the previous few years as Perry Watson mailed it in his last few years.

Trey Zeiglar is the guy who really comes to mind for me. He followed his dad to a mediocre mid major and while he was the star but it didn't translate to wins and dad was fired.

Yeah, thats honestly the path I see at UWM.  Zeigler only played 2 years and they weren't good and his dad got fired and he transferred. 

UWM probably finishes 4th, at best, behind a Wright St team that returns everyone, a pretty good Northern Kentucky team that returns basically everyone, and then Oakland who returns everyone and adds Cain or Cleveland St.  UWM loses 2 of their 3 leading scorers, their leading rebounder, their leading assist man.  Teams are gonna double team PBJ, put a good defender on Gholston, and let the rest happen.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2021, 03:24:56 PM »
Happy for The Baldwin Family.

They can enjoy a year together and then celebrate on draft day.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2021, 03:30:34 PM »

that's the plan. Hopefully for the kid and family it will happen.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2021, 03:50:52 PM »
that's the plan. Hopefully for the kid and family it will happen.

Unless he has a catastrophic injury, he will be a multimillionaire in like 14 months even if he severely underperforms at UWM.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2021, 04:41:13 PM »
Unless he has a catastrophic injury, he will be a multimillionaire in like 14 months even if he severely underperforms at UWM.

I'd say even with injury he'll be a multi millionaire. If Nerlens Noel still got drafted injury don't matter.

Barring him being a disaster like cliff Alexander was at Kansas he'll be a multi millionaire.
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2021, 07:40:32 PM »

This is the thing... If you're going to be a one and done, why not play for your dad?  What a great opportunity!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2021, 08:26:56 PM »
This is the thing... If you're going to be a one and done, why not play for your dad?  What a great opportunity!

UWM is a pretty depressing program right now.  The MECCA is a morgue.  A fun scenario (that will never happen) would be playing next season at the Klotsche Center where they could pack the place and create an environment worthy of PBJ.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

fjm

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2021, 08:57:21 PM »
UWM is a pretty depressing program right now.  The MECCA is a morgue.  A fun scenario (that will never happen) would be playing next season at the Klotsche Center where they could pack the place and create an environment worthy of PBJ.

That is absolutely what they should do.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2021, 11:26:56 PM »

Fan enthusiasm for the program doesn’t follow the venue, it follows the team success. If young Baldwin stands out as he should, there’ll be much more interest and enthusiasm around the program and the old Arena will no longer be a morgue.

They tried moving back to the Klotsche a few years back under the former tOSU AD, and it was a bad move the school regretted.  That’s a glorified high school gym. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2021, 01:00:29 AM »

Kloche would be the smallest arena in the conference. Oakland and Robert Morris currently have the smallest at 4K, but both are far superior facilities. Put 5k into the Arena and it will be a good place to play.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2021, 06:31:08 AM »
Pass. Does nothing for us.
sometimes you do what the people want. Play UWM. Kick their a..
Playing the likes of Ark Pine Bluff etc is garbage. That’s a hard pass.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2021, 07:28:57 AM »
sometimes you do what the people want. Play UWM. Kick their a..
Playing the likes of Ark Pine Bluff etc is garbage. That’s a hard pass.

Nobody is clamoring for this aside from the 57 UWM basketball fans and a few bored sports radio guys in Milwaukee looking to stoke drama.  It’s not some grand historic rivalry that the casual basketball fan in Milwaukee is craving.  PBJ makes UWM interesting for a year, but schedules aren’t formed 4-5 months out.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2021, 08:37:45 AM »

Wojo's buyout was almost double the cost of building the Klotsche Dump.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2021, 08:50:25 AM »
Nobody is clamoring for this aside from the 57 UWM basketball fans and a few bored sports radio guys in Milwaukee looking to stoke drama.  It’s not some grand historic rivalry that the casual basketball fan in Milwaukee is craving.  PBJ makes UWM interesting for a year, but schedules aren’t formed 4-5 months out.

UWM is a far more interesting than playing Ark Pine Bluff and the like.   Then again, any Horizon team would be better than just about any SWAC...  but even more so for long time WI and Milwaukee residents.

It's no UCLA... but for a buy game, it's a smidge more interesting.  Plus you may draw a few UWM fans (all 12 of them) who may want to see their team in the Fiserv.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2021, 08:53:04 AM »
Wojo's buyout was almost double the cost of building the Klotsche Dump.

I know.  I went to a few games there during the Bo / Bruce era.  It's nothing special.  But IMO, they'd get much better student turnout for this once in a generation talent and create a real buzz.  Maybe play 3-5 games at the MECCA later in the season.  I get that this is all impossible bc of their contracts etc.  I just feel bad for the kid that he's going to be stuck in front of a few thousand fans in a has been arena.

Also, as a 28 year STHer...play UWM, play UWGB.  Make them sign 3 for 1's.  It's 5x more enjoyable for STHers than ARK-PB or Savannah State.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2021, 08:54:47 AM »
My recollection is that UWM wouldn't take a straight buy game from Marquette.  Or they wanted Marquette to pay them what anyone else would pay them, even though they don't have to travel to play the game.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow