[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Patrick Baldwin to UWM  (Read 14020 times)

IL Warrior

• Team Captain
Re: Patrick Baldwin to UWM
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2021, 09:53:46 AM »
Even if they could figure out the scheduling in a way that benefits both schools, playing against UWM is a no-win scenario for Marquette. If MU wins, even in a blowout, nobody cares since UWM is a middle-of-the-pack Horizon team. If MU loses, it draws a bunch of negative attention, even though it would only drop the all-time MU win percentage to 97.5%. It's the same as playing a SWAC school, but the attention on a loss would be amplified 100x. All risk, no reward.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2021, 10:08:45 AM »
Even if they could figure out the scheduling in a way that benefits both schools, playing against UWM is a no-win scenario for Marquette. If MU wins, even in a blowout, nobody cares since UWM is a middle-of-the-pack Horizon team. If MU loses, it draws a bunch of negative attention, even though it would only drop the all-time MU win percentage to 97.5%. It's the same as playing a SWAC school, but the attention on a loss would be amplified 100x. All risk, no reward.

Wisconsin lost to UWM in 2015.

That season they went to S16, the next season they went to the S16.

Losing to UWM is not the end of the world. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2021, 10:13:40 AM »

Isn't it the second or third longest single team win streak in the country?
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2021, 10:49:30 AM »
Isn't it the second or third longest single team win streak in the country?

It's the longest streak without defeat. I believe Syracuse has a longer winning streak over a single opponent, but it's to an opponent they lost to, maybe back in the 1930s.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2021, 11:00:24 AM »
I'm not "clamoring" for a game vs. UWM, and certainly not begging for a resumption of the series. But with a future lottery pick there, I wouldn't mind one iota if we got them into to the FF in November or December. It would be fun, and, as others have said, much better than most alternatives.

In the very unlikely event that we lose, it would even be a little "fun" to see the fainting couch that Scoop will become.

I mean, we were doomed after we lost to UWGB in 2012, weren't we?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

IL Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2021, 11:10:05 AM »

I never said it was. Your "counterpoint" is regarding team performance after a loss to UWM. I agree that losing to UWM would have no bearing on the performance of the team going forward.

What I said is that playing against UWM is a no-win scenario for Marquette. Strictly talking about the optics. MU wins: it's no better than beating any other buy-game opponent. MU loses: all the Badger fans and UW-extension alums have a field day bashing MU. I'd rather play just about any other mid- or low-major opponent.

Marquette can only schedule 31 games. After subtracting Big East, early season tournament, Wisconsin, a high-major home-home, Big 12/Gavitt, etc., there are only a few games left to work with. I don't see the point in spending one on UWM, when playing against Grambling or Oakland or Vermont or literally hundreds of other schools are better options. If we're going to play against a Kenpom 200+ team, at least pick one where the embarrassment of a loss wouldn't be rubbed in our faces for more than a few days.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2021, 11:12:30 AM »
It's the longest streak without defeat. I believe Syracuse has a longer winning streak over a single opponent, but it's to an opponent they lost to, maybe back in the 1930s.

Yep, Syracuse has 54 straight over Colgate. Colgate has actually beaten Syracuse 45 times. From 1902-1962 the record between the two was 73-45 in favor of Syracuse. When the current winning streak started, Cuse was coming off 4 consecutive losses to Colgate.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2021, 11:17:40 AM »
My recollection is that UWM wouldn't take a straight buy game from Marquette.  Or they wanted Marquette to pay them what anyone else would pay them, even though they don't have to travel to play the game.

Pearl pulled that stuff on MU demanding a return game, after going on the radio and saying he'd do a buy game with MU. But we all know Pearl is a snake oil salesman.

That said, play UWM. As others have said, it's better than playing Grambline or UAPB or some other 300+ RPI team, and there would be some buzz in the city.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2021, 11:21:04 AM »
Pearl pulled that stuff on MU demanding a return game, after going on the radio and saying he'd do a buy game with MU. But we all know Pearl is a snake oil salesman.

That said, play UWM. As others have said, it's better than playing Grambline or UAPB or some other 300+ RPI team, and there would be some buzz in the city.

RPI means very little anymore.  I also remember basically zero buzz for the MU vs. UWM game when I was in school.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2021, 11:23:14 AM »
I have good friends that went to UWM.  There's some buzz amongst us when there's a UWM-MU game.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2021, 11:28:04 AM »
RPI means very little anymore.  I also remember basically zero buzz for the MU vs. UWM game when I was in school.

The first one had some buzz. Then MU blew their doors off. I think there was a little drama after due to Crean going for 100 and he had a bit of an exchange with either a fan or UWM employee.

If UWM wants a return game, I’d probably guess this won’t go anywhere. Although, the program survived losing at UWGB. With expanded conference schedules, I think road games will be reserved for Gavitt or Big 12 types of crossovers and UW.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2021, 11:43:41 AM »
The petty side of me loved when TC ran it up on them.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2021, 12:30:32 PM »
The petty side of me loved when TC ran it up on them.

I think there was some incentive for not practicing the next day. I think it was if they took a certain amount of charges, but the bench went nuts in the closing minutes up like 30.

My memory is pretty fuzzy but I thought the exchange was with Bud Haidet who was athletic director at the time and said something along the lines of “You wanted it, you got it.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2021, 12:53:21 PM »

You don't think there'd be any buzz for a game that includes one of the best freshmen in the country vs the city's dominant team (and a traditional "name" school) with its new big-name coach?

I don't think it would lead Sportscenter or anything, but I'd have to think there would be at least a little buzz if we played the Fightin' Baldwins this coming season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2021, 12:55:27 PM »
You don't think there'd be any buzz for a game that includes one of the best freshmen in the country vs the city's dominant team (and a traditional "name" school) with its new big-name coach?

I don't think it would lead Sportscenter or anything, but I'd have to think there would be at least a little buzz if we played the Fightin' Baldwins this coming season.

The fear of playing UWM from Marquette alum and fans is bewildering
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2021, 01:04:27 PM »
The fear of playing UWM from Marquette alum and fans is bewildering

I'm not afraid.  I just don't see the point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2021, 02:08:58 PM »

Again, there is no way it would be a one off game.  Scheduling a series to play one game when UWM is relevant for a minute and then sacrificing scheduling spots later on is dumb.

And no, there would be no buzz post PBJ.  They haven’t averaged more than 2500 fans in 5+ years.  There isn’t buzz around Louisville when UL plays Bellarmine.  There isn’t buzz when Georgia Tech plays Kennesaw St.  This idea that a UWM-MU series is lacking or desired by more than 2-3000 people is silly.    If Marquette beat a bad UWM team by 30 when PBJ scores 25, the anticipation for next years matchup when he’s in the NBA would be no different than IUPUI

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2021, 02:13:38 PM »

That said, play UWM. As others have said, it's better than playing Grambling or UAPB or some other 300+ RPI team, and there would be some buzz in the city.

This.  It's way more interesting than Grambling or UAPB and UWM's RPI or BPI or whatever will at least be higher to boot.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2021, 02:30:13 PM »
Again, there is no way it would be a one off game.  Scheduling a series to play one game when UWM is relevant for a minute and then sacrificing scheduling spots later on is dumb.

And no, there would be no buzz post PBJ.  They haven’t averaged more than 2500 fans in 5+ years.  There isn’t buzz around Louisville when UL plays Bellarmine.  There isn’t buzz when Georgia Tech plays Kennesaw St.  This idea that a UWM-MU series is lacking or desired by more than 2-3000 people is silly.    If Marquette beat a bad UWM team by 30 when PBJ scores 25, the anticipation for next years matchup when he’s in the NBA would be no different than IUPUI

Wags, where do live / work? What’s your STH situation?

Being a MKE resident and someone who works downtown and has had tickets for 28 years, its my experience the “water cooler” talk for a MU / UWM is significantly higher for. UWM game vs a typical buy. 

I wouldn’t ruin our scheduling formula for them but I would consider a 3:1.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2021, 02:34:00 PM »
Buy games are all about what makes financial sense for the program. If we aren't scheduling UWM, it's because something about that doesn't make financial sense. If that changes, we would play UWM again.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2021, 02:35:19 PM »
Buy games are all about what makes financial sense for the program. If we aren't scheduling UWM, it's because something about that doesn't make financial sense. If that changes, we would play UWM again.

Yeah giving them a home game likely doesn't make much financial sense.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Viper

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2021, 02:39:16 PM »
probably more buzz now w/UWM’s 5⭐️

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2021, 03:01:03 PM »

This.  It's way more interesting than Grambling or UAPB and UWM's RPI or BPI or whatever will at least be higher to boot.

and while I'd refuse to give them a home game if they did demand one it would be a quasi home game for us with a nice nostalgia factor with us playing at the Arena.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2021, 03:12:15 PM »
Wags, where do live / work? What’s your STH situation?

Being a MKE resident and someone who works downtown and has had tickets for 28 years, its my experience the “water cooler” talk for a MU / UWM is significantly higher for. UWM game vs a typical buy. 

I wouldn’t ruin our scheduling formula for them but I would consider a 3:1.

Both in the greater Milwaukee area.  Not sure why STH situations matter but Ive always been, in some form, for the last 30+ years since I was a little kid.

I don't work with any UWM grads, so maybe thats the difference, but I can't remember any banter about it other than the early 2000s when they were good under Pearl and kids I went to HS with were students there.  Maybe "significantly higher" means "I saw Marquette is playing UWM tonight" as opposed to "oh, there is an MU game tonight, who are they playing?"

and while I'd refuse to give them a home game if they did demand one it would be a quasi home game for us with a nice nostalgia factor with us playing at the Arena.

Id bet the feelings on that, from people who are used to watching games at The Fiserv, and the BC before, are less than 10-15%.  Its not the 70s, there's a 3pt line and amazing video screens in MU's home arena. Watching a game at the Arena is like the fond nostalgia memories you have when you park your nice new car at the airport going on a trip and pick up a Nissan Versa at Hertz at your destination and remember your first car as a 16 year old as you barely hit 70 on the highway and other cars fly by.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 09:23:19 PM by JWags85 »

Viper

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2021, 08:31:57 PM »
Both in the greater Milwaukee area.  Not sure why STH situations matter but Ive always been, in some form, for the last 30+ years since I was a little kid.

I don't work with any UWM grads, so maybe thats the difference, but I can't remember any banter about it other than the early 2000s when they were good under Pearl and kids I went to HS with were students there.  Maybe "significantly higher" means "I saw Marquette is playing UWM tonight" as opposed to "oh, there is an MU game tonight, who are they playing?"

Id bet the feelings on that, from people who are used to watching games at The Fiserv, and the BC before, are less than 10-15%.  Its not the 70s, there's a 3pt line and amazing video screens in MU's home arena, watching a game at the Arena is like the fond nostalgia memories you have when you park your nice new car at the airport going on a trip and pick up a Nissan Versa at Hertz at your destination and remember your first car as a 16 year old as you barely hit 70 on the highway and other cars fly by.
you drinking merlot or chardonnay?