'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Where are with with Morsell?  (Read 50618 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Where are with with Morsell?
« Reply #175 on: June 08, 2021, 04:12:33 PM »
Of the projected 13 scholarship players that MU will have if Morsell comes and Garcia returns, 10 will be in their first or second year of college basketball.     All will be learning a new system.     This is the epitome of a rebuild when there is a coaching change.     And that is fine.    Just make sure that your expectations are realistic.

I am aware of everything you said.  My expectations are extremely realistic.  I think this team as currently constructed may not even be a top-100 team.  To me - coaching change or not - that is disappointing.  Especially in a year in which most college athletes are immediately eligible.  Yes, I am all in on Shaka moving forward.  The move had to be made.  Brighter says ahead.  All that jazz. 

But that can all be true, and also be disappointed that next season's team looks like its going to a cellar dweller in the Big East. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #176 on: June 08, 2021, 04:20:46 PM »
Where exactly am I complaining?  I said I don't see how he moves the needle.  I literally said that I'd take him just like an hour ago.  He's a hell of a lot better than an empty spot!  I just don't really think he makes this team any more exciting, or solves the very obvious scoring issue.  Sorry if that offends you!

I guess I just don't understand your conflicting arguments then.  You want him, but you don't think he'll make us better? If we're targeting players that won't make us better, why not just give out the scholarship to a walk-on?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #177 on: June 08, 2021, 04:22:15 PM »
The point of Morsell (and Kuath) is not to win basketball games next season (though if that happens it is a nice bonus). The point is to help establish defensive culture with the youngins to help win basketball games in future seasons.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #178 on: June 08, 2021, 04:34:37 PM »
I am aware of everything you said.  My expectations are extremely realistic.  I think this team as currently constructed may not even be a top-100 team.  To me - coaching change or not - that is disappointing.  Especially in a year in which most college athletes are immediately eligible.  Yes, I am all in on Shaka moving forward.  The move had to be made.  Brighter says ahead.  All that jazz. 

But that can all be true, and also be disappointed that next season's team looks like its going to a cellar dweller in the Big East.

I think we'll be in the top 100. Especially with Garcia and Morsell. Gonna depend a little bit on the development of the kids and who can be a good ballhandler (I think Stevie steps up and plays a decent role behind Kolek and Greg at the point).

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #179 on: June 08, 2021, 04:45:15 PM »
Should also add, that with so many newbies/guys with little to no experience.

Law of averages would say that someone is probably bound to really surprise us.

Now, most of the inexperience may be a trial and error trainwreck. But I am confident that someone in the unknown pile emerges early on.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #180 on: June 08, 2021, 04:47:49 PM »

Let's bet.

You get Marquette for the cellar, and I get the other 10.

Hundred bucks?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #181 on: June 08, 2021, 04:50:43 PM »
The point of Morsell (and Kuath) is not to win basketball games next season (though if that happens it is a nice bonus). The point is to help establish defensive culture with the youngins to help win basketball games in future seasons.

I oddly think we will see a little bit of both. Although, my ceiling for the team is bubble if Morsell and Garcia on board.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #182 on: June 08, 2021, 05:17:14 PM »
to get everyone excited; their mod (who kicks ass) said Morsell to Marquette is most likely

Thank You! I feel this is very awesome news for Marquette since Darryl has played an average of 28.15 minutes a game in all his years there and his Teams Won the Big Ten Championship in 2020 and Won a game in each of the 2019 and 2021 NCAA Tournaments.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #183 on: June 08, 2021, 05:23:42 PM »
I guess I just don't understand your conflicting arguments then.  You want him, but you don't think he'll make us better? If we're targeting players that won't make us better, why not just give out the scholarship to a walk-on?

He might be our best player as things stand!  I am not saying I don't want him.  I am just making an observation on a message board that I am not really sold that he improves this team all that much.  A team that struggles to score and is wildly inexperienced adding an experienced guard is a nice benefit, but unfortunately his skillset doesn't really provide what this team really lacks.  But you damn well known I'd take him over an empty chair or blowing a scholarship on a walk-in.   
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 05:27:01 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #184 on: June 08, 2021, 05:26:09 PM »
Let's bet.

You get Marquette for the cellar, and I get the other 10.

Hundred bucks?

Lol, I'll pass. I am not so jaded that I would bet against my fandom.  I just don't think they'll be good - that doesn't mean I won't root for them every single game on the edge of my seat.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #185 on: June 08, 2021, 06:05:12 PM »
I oddly think we will see a little bit of both. Although, my ceiling for the team is bubble if Morsell and Garcia on board.

Lol, I'll pass. I am not so jaded that I would bet against my fandom.  I just don't think they'll be good - that doesn't mean I won't root for them every single game on the edge of my seat.

Like JB, I think (hope) we can be sneaky good. So I'm disappointed that JJJJJJJJJJ won't bet me!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #186 on: June 08, 2021, 06:45:00 PM »
If MU can sign up the Big Ten Defensive player of the year, that is a good thing.

Guys who play hard on every possession are needed to compete in The Big East.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

panda

• All American
« Reply #187 on: June 08, 2021, 07:36:32 PM »
If MU can sign up the Big Ten Defensive player of the year, that is a good thing.

Guys who play hard on every possession are needed to compete in The Big East.

I would prefer a freshman all American who is forgoing the NBA to play his last three years at MU and will break every conceivable record during his time here.

But that may be slightly out of reach so I’ll have to settle for Morsell ;-)

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #188 on: June 10, 2021, 09:12:25 AM »
With Garcia and Morsell, I see a top half of the Big East finish, and a tourney bid.

Don’t underestimate the positive impact of not having Wojo patrolling the sideline.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #189 on: June 10, 2021, 09:57:46 AM »
With Garcia and Morsell, I see a top half of the Big East finish, and a tourney bid.

Don’t underestimate the positive impact of not having Wojo patrolling the sideline.

I think your second statement is the key.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #190 on: June 10, 2021, 10:29:19 AM »

I would have agreed at the beginning of the offseason, but I agree less now. At the beginning of the offseason, we had an entire roster that was theoretically held back by Wojo and could've been in for major improvement under Smart. Now 7 of those players (and likely soon to be 8) have left. The only three players currently on the roster that were likely held back by Wojo were Elliott, Lewis, and Oso. Even if all three get a massive boost from having Smart as a coach, we're still surrounding them with 5 freshmen ranked outside the top 75 and 3 transfers that didn't crack the top 100 transfer list this offseason. Morsell will be a welcome addition and a top transfer but I still don't think it's enough for a competitive team on paper next season. If we get a bid next season, it will be YUGE testament to Smart's ability as a coach, either because he extremely coached the group up or he identified talent that was undervalued by everyone else.

Smart clearly hasn't prioritized winning next season since taking over. His focus has been building a young core that he can develop over the next few seasons and adding some defensive gurus to help develop that young core. Next season is likely a bummer, but I think it is the right strategy long term. Successful coaches establish a culture early on.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 10:31:00 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #191 on: June 10, 2021, 10:46:32 AM »
I would have agreed at the beginning of the offseason, but I agree less now. At the beginning of the offseason, we had an entire roster that was theoretically held back by Wojo and could've been in for major improvement under Smart. Now 7 of those players (and likely soon to be 8) have left. The only three players currently on the roster that were likely held back by Wojo were Elliott, Lewis, and Oso. Even if all three get a massive boost from having Smart as a coach, we're still surrounding them with 5 freshmen ranked outside the top 75 and 3 transfers that didn't crack the top 100 transfer list this offseason. Morsell will be a welcome addition and a top transfer but I still don't think it's enough for a competitive team on paper next season. If we get a bid next season, it will be YUGE testament to Smart's ability as a coach, either because he extremely coached the group up or he identified talent that was undervalued by everyone else.

Smart clearly hasn't prioritized winning next season since taking over. His focus has been building a young core that he can develop over the next few seasons and adding some defensive gurus to help develop that young core. Next season is likely a bummer, but I think it is the right strategy long term. Successful coaches establish a culture early on.

I think he would disagree with you here. To modify, he hasn't prioritized "win now at all costs" with respect to the roster.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #192 on: June 10, 2021, 11:54:09 AM »
I think he would disagree with you here. To modify, he hasn't prioritized "win now at all costs" with respect to the roster.

Wheras with Wojo we won everyday.

Im just happy our coach isnt a schmuck and hes at least won one time before

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #193 on: June 10, 2021, 11:56:04 AM »

Nice post, TAMU.  This summarizes the current situation quite well.  Not sure how anyone can look at this team and see a mid-tier Big East team without an incredible amount of blue and gold bias.

Garcia returns and Morsell comes - maybe just maybe we're looking at an NIT team - and everything goes swimmingly, a team that flirts with the bubble.  But that is a whole lot of ifs. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #194 on: June 10, 2021, 12:36:43 PM »
Nice post, TAMU.  This summarizes the current situation quite well.  Not sure how anyone can look at this team and see a mid-tier Big East team without an incredible amount of blue and gold bias.

Garcia returns and Morsell comes - maybe just maybe we're looking at an NIT team - and everything goes swimmingly, a team that flirts with the bubble.  But that is a whole lot of ifs.
When Shaka came aboard, I moved over to the Slurping Side of The Street. So I am looking at this coming season in a much more positive light. I think Shaka has assembled a roster where winning will be the primary goal , rather than showcasing for the NBA. I look around the Big East and don't see us in any kind of competitive disadvantage. With the 20 game conference season being the bulk of the schedule, I think we should be able to put up some quality wins.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #195 on: June 10, 2021, 12:48:23 PM »
Removing the blue and gold glasses.... I don't miss Wojo and I like Shaka and want nothing but success for him, as his success is MU's success.    But.....

If you lay Wojo's record at MU next to Shaka's record at Texas, they are indistinguishable.   
This is a near total roster rebuild, highlighted by 10 players with 0-1 years of college experience. 
None of the recruits are 5 star, none of the transfers are reputed to be program changers.   
Lots of potential, no known quantities.    Way too many ifs.   

I look at this coming year as a building block.   Nothing more, nothing less.    I want to see the foundation for success put in place.   If Garcia and Morsell both come, MU may get to .500 or even into NIT talk.    If neither come and MU runs with the current 11 other players, I am not sure I see 12 season wins.   But it is only mid June and maybe somebody makes a huge leap or is far better than their previous ranking. 

21-22 is all about the process.    Not wins and losses.      Go, Shaka!   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #196 on: June 10, 2021, 02:06:35 PM »
Whenever I think about the upcoming season, my ultra-optimist side is in a death match against my ultra-realist side.

Had DJ and Garcia stayed, my optimistic side would have won easily. But they didn't, so now I'm hoping for "sneaky good."

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #197 on: June 10, 2021, 08:50:12 PM »

Had DJ and Garcia stayed, my optimistic side would have won easily. But they didn't, so now I'm hoping for "sneaky good."

Garcia is leaving?

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #198 on: June 10, 2021, 09:18:38 PM »
Removing the blue and gold glasses.... I don't miss Wojo and I like Shaka and want nothing but success for him, as his success is MU's success.    But.....

If you lay Wojo's record at MU next to Shaka's record at Texas, they are indistinguishable.   
This is a near total roster rebuild, highlighted by 10 players with 0-1 years of college experience. 
None of the recruits are 5 star, none of the transfers are reputed to be program changers.   
Lots of potential, no known quantities.    Way too many ifs.   

I look at this coming year as a building block.   Nothing more, nothing less.    I want to see the foundation for success put in place.   If Garcia and Morsell both come, MU may get to .500 or even into NIT talk.    If neither come and MU runs with the current 11 other players, I am not sure I see 12 season wins.   But it is only mid June and maybe somebody makes a huge leap or is far better than their previous ranking. 

21-22 is all about the process.    Not wins and losses.      Go, Shaka!
[/quote

I agree but the new sad reality of college hoops is that besides the two 5th yr seniors we'll probably lose at least 3 other players. So a foundation is a lot harder to build if you are constantly turning over a 3rd of your roster.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #199 on: June 10, 2021, 09:20:01 PM »
Indeed.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback