Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[April 17, 2024, 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Where are with with Morsell?  (Read 51051 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Where are with with Morsell?
« Reply #150 on: June 08, 2021, 01:22:33 PM »
to get everyone excited; their mod (who kicks ass) said Morsell to Marquette is most likely

The biggest threat was always the professional route
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #151 on: June 08, 2021, 02:12:40 PM »
If we get him, fine. We certainly could use his experience. But the guy shot atrociously last year, and nothing in his stats point to any real growth or improvement over his 4 years at MD.  The guy was about the same player all 4 years, and he played significant minutes from freshman year on.  He better bring a ton of intangibles.  Otherwise, there seems nothing to get excited about with him.  Is he considered a lockdown defender, defend multiple positions? 

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #152 on: June 08, 2021, 02:15:18 PM »
If we get him, fine. We certainly could use his experience. But the guy shot atrociously last year, and nothing in his stats point to any real growth or improvement over his 4 years at MD.  The guy was about the same player all 4 years, and he played significant minutes from freshman year on.  He better bring a ton of intangibles.  Otherwise, there seems nothing to get excited about with him.  Is he considered a lockdown defender, defend multiple positions?

He was B10 Defensive Player of the Year, so...yeah.  That's why we want him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #153 on: June 08, 2021, 02:17:09 PM »
Looking at the roster, there is a distinct lack of experience.  B10 defensive player of the year as well as a 5th year senior might prove helpful.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #154 on: June 08, 2021, 02:17:43 PM »

That is great and dandy and certainly useful.  But this team also badly needs a guard who can put the ball in the basket.  We have the oft-injured spot up shooter in Greg and then........a ton of inexperienced question marks.  Again, I am not saying I don't want Morsell, but I don't think he really moves the needle that much. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #155 on: June 08, 2021, 02:18:58 PM »

Good enough. Sounds like a liability offensively still. I hate having a guy out there opponents don’t have to respect as any threat.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #156 on: June 08, 2021, 02:20:49 PM »
That is great and dandy and certainly useful.  But this team also badly needs a guard who can put the ball in the basket.  We have the oft-injured spot up shooter in Greg and then........a ton of inexperienced question marks.  Again, I am not saying I don't want Morsell, but I don't think he really moves the needle that much.

Exactly on all!!  It’s not like we’re loaded everywhere and just need a stopper for a deep run next March.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #157 on: June 08, 2021, 02:22:58 PM »
So this guy would be like Dodds and an actual reporter in a blender

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #158 on: June 08, 2021, 02:34:22 PM »

and correct me if I am wrong; major shoulder surgery and won't be back to full health until fall(ish)?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #159 on: June 08, 2021, 02:35:17 PM »

His shoulder injury required surgery after the season which he is still rehabbing. His game is mostly dribble penetration to the rim. He is a lockdown defender in a physical league, something I don't think we save seen in seven years. At Disney, he completely locked down Markus. Sign me up.

panda

• All American
« Reply #160 on: June 08, 2021, 02:38:25 PM »
and correct me if I am wrong; major shoulder surgery and won't be back to full health until fall(ish)?

Correct - The KenPom crew will look at his advanced stats and not be wowed, but he was the engine of that Maryland team. Battled through injury (ala Theo) for the season which impacted his numbers.

The guy is a very solid, calming presence. He’s exactly the player we need to compete next year and will put our young guys in positions to succeed.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #161 on: June 08, 2021, 02:38:46 PM »
News flash: Shaka's teams will win games in different ways than Wojo's did.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #162 on: June 08, 2021, 02:49:23 PM »
News flash: Shaka's teams will win games in different ways than Wojo's did.

FIFY.  At least - that's the hope...

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #163 on: June 08, 2021, 03:04:39 PM »
Man, Scoop gonna Scoop.  We got the same guy that complains literally every single year that we don't use all of our 13 scholarships complaining about Shaka's target for our last scholarship (Garcia pending).  With his defensive abilities, if Morsell could also light it up on offense, we wouldn't even be in the conversation because he'd be pro. For a one year rental (possibly 2 because of Covid?)an elite defender that still averaged 10 ppg at a high major conference is about as good as you're going to get.   

panda

• All American
« Reply #164 on: June 08, 2021, 03:12:15 PM »
Man, Scoop gonna Scoop.  We got the same guy that complains literally every single year that we don't use all of our 13 scholarships complaining about Shaka's target for our last scholarship (Garcia pending).  With his defensive abilities, if Morsell could also light it up on offense, we wouldn't even be in the conversation because he'd be pro. For a one year rental (possibly 2 because of Covid?)an elite defender that still averaged 10 ppg at a high major conference is about as good as you're going to get.

Agree 100%. Remember, he was never looked at as even the second scorer while at UMD. He’s more than capable, but has deferred for his college career.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #165 on: June 08, 2021, 03:20:45 PM »
 Morsell was really,really good inside the arc last year.

Ill take a guy that can take it to the rack and defend.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #166 on: June 08, 2021, 03:50:38 PM »
Is he considered a lockdown defender, defend multiple positions?

Here's a Marquette-relevant example. Does everyone remember when Markus went off in Orlando? He scored 40 against Davidson & 51 against USC to set the Orlando Invitational scoring record in just 2 games & led us to the final against Maryland.

In the final, Howard scored 6 points on 1/12 shooting. He was awful. And the defender that was on him most of that night was Darrell Morsell.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #167 on: June 08, 2021, 03:55:29 PM »
Thus endeth the discussion. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #168 on: June 08, 2021, 03:56:00 PM »
Here's a Marquette-relevant example. Does everyone remember when Markus went off in Orlando? He scored 40 against Davidson & 51 against USC to set the Orlando Invitational scoring record in just 2 games & led us to the final against Maryland.

In the final, Howard scored 6 points on 1/12 shooting. He was awful. And the defender that was on him most of that night was Darrell Morsell.

He can play on my team!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #169 on: June 08, 2021, 03:59:57 PM »
FIFY.  At least - that's the hope...
Exactly. And will win more games than Wojo-Dukiet did.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #170 on: June 08, 2021, 04:00:55 PM »
He can play on my team!
Now that is intriguing.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #171 on: June 08, 2021, 04:05:09 PM »
His shoulder injury required surgery after the season which he is still rehabbing. His game is mostly dribble penetration to the rim. He is a lockdown defender in a physical league, something I don't think we save seen in seven years. At Disney, he completely locked down Markus. Sign me up.

For sure.  Who is going to score tho?  He better do some serious locking up, because I truthfully don't see how this team is going to score 60 points on a given night.  Again, not really an indictment on Morsell, I just don't think he is really cures what ails this team.   

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #172 on: June 08, 2021, 04:07:16 PM »
We desperately need Morsell.  I thought by now he would be on our squad.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #173 on: June 08, 2021, 04:07:49 PM »

Where exactly am I complaining?  I said I don't see how he moves the needle.  I literally said that I'd take him just like an hour ago.  He's a hell of a lot better than an empty spot!  I just don't really think he makes this team any more exciting, or solves the very obvious scoring issue.  Sorry if that offends you!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #174 on: June 08, 2021, 04:09:22 PM »
For sure.  Who is going to score tho?  He better do some serious locking up, because I truthfully don't see how this team is going to score 60 points on a given night.  Again, not really an indictment on Morsell, I just don't think he is really cures what ails this team.

Of the projected 13 scholarship players that MU will have if Morsell comes and Garcia returns, 10 will be in their first or second year of college basketball.     All will be learning a new system.     This is the epitome of a rebuild when there is a coaching change.     And that is fine.    Just make sure that your expectations are realistic.