[Today at 12:56:44 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-2022 NFL Season  (Read 264141 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

cheebs09

• All American
Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2021, 08:30:29 AM »
Why, cheebs? Is he not a good reporter? Does he routinely write dishonestly? Not being snarky. I seriously don't know. I do know he has had a reputation for decades as a very good reporter.

I dunno. I guess they hold most of the cards if they're willing to go from being a perennial contender to being a mediocrity. And maybe they are, indeed, willing.

Others have said it, but I don’t know that he’s as respected now. He’s a great historian of the game. However, when it comes to current reporting, he’s not as reliable.

I saw elsewhere that the Packers pulled his credentials. I think he may be running with something that’s not true to get his name out there.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2021, 08:35:39 AM »
Why, cheebs? Is he not a good reporter? Does he routinely write dishonestly? Not being snarky. I seriously don't know. I do know he has had a reputation for decades as a very good reporter.

I dunno. I guess they hold most of the cards if they're willing to go from being a perennial contender to being a mediocrity. And maybe they are, indeed, willing.

McGinn was a good reporter when he was with the Journal. I don't remember the details, but he had somewhat of a falling out with the organization. He started his own enterprise reporting on the Packers and since jumped the shark a little. Some of his negative reports in the past were found out to be untrue.

Losing Rodgers doesn't mean the Packers will go to perennial mediocrity. I heard the same exact comments when Favre left and it worked out ok.   They do not need a hall of fame qb to be successful. In fact, the high salary cap number restricts them to some degree. The organization was there and successful long before Rodgers and will be there long after Rodgers. Part of me says screw Rodgers and play hard ball with him, the smart thing to do would be to cash in now and rebuild quickly. Rodgers only has maybe 3 effective years left anyway.  Also, don't discount Jordan Love. He may be great or good enough, maybe not I guess we will see.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2021, 08:37:00 AM »
Others have said it, but I don’t know that he’s as respected now. He’s a great historian of the game. However, when it comes to current reporting, he’s not as reliable.

I saw elsewhere that the Packers pulled his credentials. I think he may be running with something that’s not true to get his name out there.

This. I think he has done it in the past.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2021, 08:37:19 AM »

He left the MJS and tried to go out on his own with a pay site...and that didn't work.  So now he is with the Athletic.  Last I heard, he doesn't even live in Wisconsin - he's in Michigan somewhere.

Part of his problem is that he was brutally honest with player evaluation, coaching and the GM that nobody wanted to deal with him.  I loved him back in the day, but he really has never been a "source" guy.  That's usually Silverstein, Demovsky or Wilde.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2021, 08:48:48 AM »

He left the MJS and tried to go out on his own with a pay site...and that didn't work.  So now he is with the Athletic.  Last I heard, he doesn't even live in Wisconsin - he's in Michigan somewhere.

Part of his problem is that he was brutally honest with player evaluation, coaching and the GM that nobody wanted to deal with him.  I loved him back in the day, but he really has never been a "source" guy.  That's usually Silverstein, Demovsky or Wilde.

My recollection of him at the tail end of his MJS tenure was that he had almost turned being "brutally honest" into a schtick. It almost seemed like he'd decided to play the role of contrarian and simply be negative to contrast himself from the otherwise hagiographical GB press. Maybe he was speaking truths, but if I'm remembering my own reaction correctly I started to think he was Skip Bayless and his asinine "takes" -- saying (writing) things that are not genuinely held but are merely the outcome of a production meeting where it was decided that this was the position to draw the largest volume of reactions.

After he left to go behind a paywall I've read precisely 0 of his words, so no clue how he's been recently.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2021, 08:49:29 AM »
This. I think he has done it in the past.

He’s got to be 70 years old.  He has an incredible legacy of covering the sport.  Why does he want to “get his name out there”?  He’s going to tarnish a career making something up to get his name out there? 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2021, 08:55:33 AM »
He’s got to be 70 years old.  He has an incredible legacy of covering the sport.  Why does he want to “get his name out there”?  He’s going to tarnish a career making something up to get his name out there?
Because after he left the Journal and lost press credentials with the Packers, he has become somewhat irrelevant. I think the Skip Bayless comparison is accurate. Somewhat of a shock jock.
Read the post by jfricke13,, it think that is accurate.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2021, 09:22:24 AM »
My recollection of him at the tail end of his MJS tenure was that he had almost turned being "brutally honest" into a schtick. It almost seemed like he'd decided to play the role of contrarian and simply be negative to contrast himself from the otherwise hagiographical GB press. Maybe he was speaking truths, but if I'm remembering my own reaction correctly I started to think he was Skip Bayless and his asinine "takes" -- saying (writing) things that are not genuinely held but are merely the outcome of a production meeting where it was decided that this was the position to draw the largest volume of reactions.

After he left to go behind a paywall I've read precisely 0 of his words, so no clue how he's been recently.

Yup. Wasn’t his famous one regarding the Packers being fine if Rodgers got hurt? Then it happened and it was a disaster. I remember him getting a lot of heat for that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2021, 09:29:44 AM »
I mean, you can see the pictures of guys he hangs out with during the off season anywhere on the internet.  Create whichever narrative you'd like, but at least back it up.

He looks very Tom Petty-esque here... real skrawny... but he's standing next to Bakh.

You can see from a lot of pictures that exist on the internet that he has hung out with plenty of his current and former teammates.

Witch won iz Jake Kumerow, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2021, 09:34:27 AM »
If I remember correctly the Packers were trying to keep Letroy Guillon's legal issues pretty quiet after signing him, the JS wrote an article detailing all of it, the Packers got pissed, and McGinn wrote an article in response saying they're no different than any other organization trying to win at all costs.  I'm sure that soured the relationship between him and the Packers, and that's when he seemingly started writing only negative things about the Packers.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2021, 09:49:41 AM »
Don't get me wrong, he could be 100% sourced and accurate here. I have no idea. He may be a great reporter doing great work and offering analysis informed by his decades of experience and I'm just not seeing it because it's behind a paywall I haven't unlocked. I have no clue.

I'm merely dusting off my memories of the guy from back when he was at MJS.

FWIW, if this is all about the "12 calls Gutey Jerry Krause" thing, that's totally believable. If it's the "12 is tampering with free agents" I'm not quite sure I buy that (though might believe it's a fabricated story strategically leaked by GB as part of the information/disinformation proxy war). 12 doing that would create cracks in the information flow that he is seeking to control. For instance, if he was timing the release for draft day for maximal fallout (which I believe he did), then putting the story in the ears of other players and agents decreases the odds that he could pull off the reveal that he wanted. It's not that I don't believe he's capable of taking his spite campaign in that direction, but I think he's unwillingly to play against his chosen strategy.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2021, 09:57:38 AM »
Don't get me wrong, he could be 100% sourced and accurate here. I have no idea. He may be a great reporter doing great work and offering analysis informed by his decades of experience and I'm just not seeing it because it's behind a paywall I haven't unlocked. I have no clue.

I'm merely dusting off my memories of the guy from back when he was at MJS.

FWIW, if this is all about the "12 calls Gutey Jerry Krause" thing, that's totally believable. If it's the "12 is tampering with free agents" I'm not quite sure I buy that (though might believe it's a fabricated story strategically leaked by GB as part of the information/disinformation proxy war). 12 doing that would create cracks in the information flow that he is seeking to control. For instance, if he was timing the release for draft day for maximal fallout (which I believe he did), then putting the story in the ears of other players and agents decreases the odds that he could pull off the reveal that he wanted. It's not that I don't believe he's capable of taking his spite campaign in that direction, but I think he's unwillingly to play against his chosen strategy.

I agree. The Krause thing I believe. I don’t know that McGinn has screenshots of the text thread. I can’t imagine anyone is remaining in that thread much longer if they are leaking it to the press unless Rodgers wants them to.

I don’t buy that he’s telling free agents he’s gone. With anything, the more people you tell, the more likely it’s going to get out. You have a handful of players telling their agents to not talk to GB because Rodgers is gone and that doesn’t leak anywhere?

I think Rodgers goal is to get the last two years of his contract guaranteed. I think at the end of the day, he wants to stay in GB but is pissed they won’t commit. GB is looking for some flexibility in case he falls off a cliff like Brees, gets hurt, or Love is looking like the next great QB.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2021, 10:09:51 AM »
I think the majority of these leaks are coming from Rodgers Camp.  They are doing everything they can to to force the Packers hand and GBP isn't moving.

Rodgers will be under center for the Pack come September. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2021, 10:40:58 AM »
If I remember correctly the Packers were trying to keep Letroy Guillon's legal issues pretty quiet after signing him, the JS wrote an article detailing all of it, the Packers got pissed, and McGinn wrote an article in response saying they're no different than any other organization trying to win at all costs.  I'm sure that soured the relationship between him and the Packers, and that's when he seemingly started writing only negative things about the Packers.

He’s been writing his honest assessment of the Packers for as long as I’ve read him.  I’m a collector and keeper of old newspapers and have a pile of stuff dating back to 1995 about the Packers. 

Any comparisons of him to Skip Bayless is absurd.  If people want to say he’s gotten more negative, I won’t disagree but he isn’t Skip and he isn’t looking to bury Rodgers or the organization.  He could have done that years ago with all kinds of stories that would have been far more damaging than this silly spat.

Michael Cohen wrote the Guion article and McGinn’s response was spot on.  The Packers aren’t above having bad dudes on their roster
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2021, 10:45:19 AM »
From ESPN:

If anyone understands what Aaron Rodgers is thinking as he weighs his NFL future, it might be former Green Bay Packers fullback John Kuhn.

Kuhn says he has talked with Rodgers since the news broke last Thursday of the reigning NFL MVP's unhappiness with the Packers organization.

During an appearance Wednesday night on CBS Radio, Kuhn said he wouldn't disclose the exact details of their conversation but painted a picture of a quarterback who is evaluating all aspects of the situation and hasn't made up his mind for certain.

"He's conflicted because this man loves to play the game of football, this man loves to be a Green Bay Packer and this man truly sees careers," Kuhn said during the interview. "He's watched friends leave, he watched Brett Favre's career toward the end. He's watched all these things play out in front of his eyes; he's taken notes throughout his career. He's seen some situations that didn't feel were done or finished the way that they could or should have.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Sources: Pack explore adding QBs for OTA, camp

Aaron Rodgers-Packers standoff: What's behind it, how they make amends, what split would mean

Favre: Gut tells me Rodgers done with Packers
"He's just trying to take his earned destiny within his own hands. To that effect, I actually admire him because not many players in the NFL have that opportunity. I sure as heck didn't. I played until everybody told me 'you can't play anymore,' and it's a humbling feeling. Aaron Rodgers has an opportunity to take a little bit of that power."

Kuhn, a regular golf partner of Rodgers', played for the Packers from 2007 to 2015 before returning to the organization to do some media work after his retirement. The former fan favorite offered a more optimistic outlook for Rodgers' return than a suggestion earlier Wednesday from Favre, who said his gut told him that "if there's not a trade ... [Rodgers would] rather sit out than play."

"If I used my gut and I used everything that I hear from the Packers organization, it makes me feel really, really good," Kuhn said. "If I used the football business acumen and see the tough spot that the Packers are in right now with that first-round pick that they used last year on Jordan Love, that's what makes me pull back a little bit. I still think it's somewhere around 70, 75% that Aaron Rodgers is the starting quarterback for the Packers this year."

Kuhn said he does not believe the report that said Rodgers would not return if Brian Gutekunst remained as general manager.

"I really don't think Aaron is that cynical of a person, no matter what differences they have," Kuhn said. "He's proven to the Packers brass that just because he has differences with the head coach or a general manager, it doesn't necessarily affect his play and his professionalism. I can't see that being a direct quote from Aaron Rodgers.

"I still believe there's an opportunity at a resolution here. I just think it's going to take two men that are dug in right now and try to meet in the middle somewhere they're both happy."

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2021, 01:12:11 PM »
Schefter admits he had no new sources and released it on draft day for clicks. No new developments/leaks on either side since January. Talked about it on Dan Patrick show.

I'm oversimplifying due to lack of time but it certainly seems like while Rodgers is unhappy the reports are exaggerated.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2021, 01:37:53 PM »
Schefter admits he had no new sources and released it on draft day for clicks. No new developments/leaks on either side since January. Talked about it on Dan Patrick show.

I'm oversimplifying due to lack of time but it certainly seems like while Rodgers is unhappy the reports are exaggerated.
Heard that, and it makes him (Schefter) look bad in my opinion. He said it wasn't one specific source, incident or comment, but everything that he pieced together since January.  Schefter and Rodgers are tight and share the same agent.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2021, 01:53:01 PM »
Heard that, and it makes him (Schefter) look bad in my opinion. He said it wasn't one specific source, incident or comment, but everything that he pieced together since January.  Schefter and Rodgers are tight and share the same agent.

I think that last sentence makes me think this is Schefter protecting a source and helping Rodgers save face. Between this and what Kuhn/Hawk have said, it seems like they are walking back the story.

I think Rodgers team leaked it to put pressure on the Packers to commit to him with guaranteed money. The draft has the biggest eyeballs on it.

I also think Rodgers thought he’d have more fan support than he does. Also, I’m sure someone close to the Packers saying be wants Gutey fired and the Packers FO putting put statements confirming tension didn’t help fan appeal.

To me this seems like a contract negotiation where Rodgers played a pretty nuclear card and now it’s playing out more in the media.

Plus, Schefter eats some humble pie now, everyone forgets about it, and Rodgers gives him a bigger scoop later.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2021, 03:13:41 PM »
He’s been writing his honest assessment of the Packers for as long as I’ve read him.  I’m a collector and keeper of old newspapers and have a pile of stuff dating back to 1995 about the Packers. 

Any comparisons of him to Skip Bayless is absurd.  If people want to say he’s gotten more negative, I won’t disagree but he isn’t Skip and he isn’t looking to bury Rodgers or the organization.  He could have done that years ago with all kinds of stories that would have been far more damaging than this silly spat.

Michael Cohen wrote the Guion article and McGinn’s response was spot on.  The Packers aren’t above having bad dudes on their roster

Rico, I agree with you on the McGinn topic.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2021, 08:01:50 PM »
I appreciate the many takes on McGinn. I read some of his general NFL stuff on The Athletic (such as his draft preview series) but I don't read much of what he writes about the Packers. It's hard for me to believe he knowingly writes untruths, because The Athletic is a very respected site and wouldn't abide by it, but maybe.

As for the Packers surviving Favre's departure serving as evidence that they could do it again, perhaps that's true. Perhaps Love is the next Favre or Rodgers.

But if one looks up the Packers' record in the decades between Starr and Favre and then again when Rodgers has been injured, it would suggest that people might be wise not to downplay the presence of a Hall of Fame QB under center.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
                       ---Al McGuire

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2021, 05:03:38 AM »
Imagine people thinking rodgers isn't a child who holds massive grudges and needs to be the "best".

If he truly wanted to win with a team, he'd tear up his contract and play for the league minimum. He doesn't need the money. But he needs to be paid to stroke his ego.

Tom Brady lives in this man's head rent free.