[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-2022 NFL Season  (Read 268409 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2021, 06:14:11 AM »
Imagine people thinking rodgers isn't a child who holds massive grudges and needs to be the "best".

If he truly wanted to win with a team, he'd tear up his contract and play for the league minimum. He doesn't need the money. But he needs to be paid to stroke his ego.

Tom Brady lives in this man's head rent free.

Right, that's it!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2021, 07:18:47 AM »
Imagine people thinking rodgers isn't a child who holds massive grudges and needs to be the "best".

If he truly wanted to win with a team, he'd tear up his contract and play for the league minimum. He doesn't need the money. But he needs to be paid to stroke his ego.

Tom Brady lives in this man's head rent free.

Aaron Rodgers will never be Tom Brady
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2021, 07:19:15 AM »
I appreciate the many takes on McGinn. I read some of his general NFL stuff on The Athletic (such as his draft preview series) but I don't read much of what he writes about the Packers. It's hard for me to believe he knowingly writes untruths, because The Athletic is a very respected site and wouldn't abide by it, but maybe.

As for the Packers surviving Favre's departure serving as evidence that they could do it again, perhaps that's true. Perhaps Love is the next Favre or Rodgers.

But if one looks up the Packers' record in the decades between Starr and Favre and then again when Rodgers has been injured, it would suggest that people might be wise not to downplay the presence of a Hall of Fame QB under center.

Not having a hall of fame qb between Starr and Favre had little to do with the Packers futility in the 70’s and 80’s.  Poor management, coaching and drafting did.

An in-season injury is not the same as rebuilding and starting over. The Packers offense revolved around Rodgers during the McCarthy era, of course losing him to injury will make the team struggle. I hope Rodgers stays because it gives the Packers the best chance to win the Super bowl the next 2 to 3 years, but the reality is they are going to lose Rodgers to age sooner or later anyway. The team isn’t going to dissolve when it happens.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2021, 07:20:50 AM »
Not having a hall of fame qb between Starr and Favre had little to do with the Packers futility in the 70’s and 80’s.  Poor management, coaching and drafting did.

An in-season injury is not the same as rebuilding and starting over. The Packers offense revolved around Rodgers during the McCarthy era, of course losing him to injury will make the team struggle. I hope Rodgers stays because it gives the Packers the best chance to win the Super bowl the next 2 to 3 years, but the reality is they are going to lose Rodgers to age sooner or later anyway. The team isn’t going to dissolve when it happens.

God bless, Bob Harlan

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2021, 07:31:09 AM »
God bless, Bob Harlan

yeah for sure, I would throw in Wolf as well, but it was Harlan who made all that happen.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2021, 07:43:05 AM »
yeah for sure, I would throw in Wolf as well, but it was Harlan who made all that happen.

I think most Packers fans understand the vital importance of Harlan resurrecting the franchise.  It’ll probably get lost as time marches on, that’s the nature of things.  I hope that’s not the case.

I read Ron Wolf’s book and his candid assessment of the team he inherited was jarring.  It was just an amazing accomplishment how they turned that around at that time

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2021, 07:48:45 AM »

Lynn Dickey is very much an underrated quarterback in Packer history.  Even after his injury that made a slow QB basically immobile, he could throw the ball all over.

But they could only do so much when you had Bart Starr not only as a middling head coach but a terrible personnel executive.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2021, 07:51:34 AM »
Aaron Rodgers will never be Tom Brady

Thank god.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2021, 07:53:57 AM »

Lynn Dickey is very much an underrated quarterback in Packer history.  Even after his injury that made a slow QB basically immobile, he could throw the ball all over.

But they could only do so much when you had Bart Starr not only as a middling head coach but a terrible personnel executive.
Back in the day you could beat the Pack, but you couldn't lick their Dickey.

Dickey was a really good under rated qb. Some of their offenses back then were Championship caliber with Lofton, Coffman, etc.  You are correct about coaching.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2021, 07:56:53 AM »

The ‘83 Packers scored 429 points, which was incredible for the time.  Sadly, they gave up 439

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2021, 07:57:39 AM »

I was going to say the same thing.  Very underrated.  If you go to https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DickLy00.htm you can check out his stats, and see who his career is comparable to.  Some folks might be surprised.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2021, 07:58:31 AM »
The ‘83 Packers scored 429 points, which was incredible for the time.  Sadly, they gave up 439

Yeah, and Dickey threw for 4458 yards... that is insane for the time.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2021, 08:00:18 AM »
Yeah, and Dickey threw for 4458 yards... that is insane for the time.

That was such a fun offense.  Kind of a leaky o-line and pedestrian running game but they could sling it

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2021, 08:03:11 AM »
Back in the day you could beat the Pack, but you couldn't lick their Dickey.

Dickey was a really good under rated qb. Some of their offenses back then were Championship caliber with Lofton, Coffman, etc.  You are correct about coaching.

I distinctly remember when they traded for John Jefferson thinking "THAT is the key to a championship." 

Too young to appreciate good defense at the time...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2021, 08:03:25 AM »
That was such a fun offense.  Kind of a leaky o-line and pedestrian running game but they could sling it

Funny to think that Favre never threw for that many yards in a season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2021, 09:06:13 AM »

Yes, because I said the team would dissolve.

Dickey was the Packers' QB when I was at Marquette, and those offenses were a blast to watch, with lots of talented skill players -- Jefferson, Lofton, Coffman, Ivery, Thompson, etc. Went to several games at County Stadium, and of course the Packers were on TV every week because they were the home team.

Folks like to call Favre a "gunslinger," and he was, but no moreso than Dickey, who threw the ball to anybody and everybody, regardless of the color of the jersey.

The 4,458-yard season folks talk about was incredible to watch ... but he also threw a league-high 29 INTs and had a league-high 6% interception percentage.

During his 9 years in GB, Dickey threw 133 TDs and 151 INTs.

So he might not have been the "reason" the Packers weren't any good, but those are not the kind of numbers a winning QB usually puts up.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2021, 09:38:19 AM »
Yes, because I said the team would dissolve.

Lol. Relax it was obviously hyperbole.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2021, 09:39:31 AM »
Like Bradshaw, Dickey was an incredibly inefficient, barely above average QB. Bradshaw won because he had all-time great defenses. Dickey did not.

Basically, both guys were Jamie’s Winston. A ton of yards. A ton of turnovers.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2021, 09:39:58 AM »
The Packers will still play in the NFC North after Rodgers leaves, right?  As long as that's the case, they'll be fine.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2021, 10:15:56 AM »
Like Bradshaw, Dickey was an incredibly inefficient, barely above average QB. Bradshaw won because he had all-time great defenses. Dickey did not.

Basically, both guys were Jamie’s Winston. A ton of yards. A ton of turnovers.

I'm not sure that's fair. It was a very different NFL back then, in which the rules were not geared toward protecting quarterbacks and giving receivers free reign through the secondary. You can't look at Bradshaw's stats - or any QB from that era - relative to anything from the last 30 years.

Other than his rookie and sophomore seasons - when the Steelers were dreadful and had nothing around him - Bradshaw never finished in the top 5 in INTs and had a few seasons in which his INT rate was among the lowest in the league. No, he wasn't the most efficient QB of his era, but by no means was he comparable to Jameis.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2021, 10:26:47 AM »
I heard an interview this morning with Nagy. He called Justin Fields a "generational talent". Why do the Bears see QBs different than every other team?

Fields may be a bust. He may be All- Pro. But not one other team (or analyst) sees Fields as a generational QB.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2021, 10:31:35 AM »
I'm not sure that's fair. It was a very different NFL back then, in which the rules were not geared toward protecting quarterbacks and giving receivers free reign through the secondary. You can't look at Bradshaw's stats - or any QB from that era - relative to anything from the last 30 years.

Other than his rookie and sophomore seasons - when the Steelers were dreadful and had nothing around him - Bradshaw never finished in the top 5 in INTs and had a few seasons in which his INT rate was among the lowest in the league. No, he wasn't the most efficient QB of his era, but by no means was he comparable to Jameis.

Bradshaw was NFL MVP and 2 time Super Bowl MVP despite supposedly being a “barely above average QB”.  So yea, different era.  Acting like he was a combo of Jameis Winston and Trent Dilfer is absurd revisionist bias

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2021, 10:32:46 AM »
I heard an interview this morning with Nagy. He called Justin Fields a "generational talent". Why do the Bears see QBs different than every other team?

Fields may be a bust. He may be All- Pro. But not one other team (or analyst) sees Fields as a generational QB.

There are a bunch of reports that Urban Meyer really liked Fields and graded him out 2nd.  He was also in the mix for the Niners.  Just bc the Jets of all teams liked Wilson, doesn't mean Fields is a bust.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2021, 10:42:00 AM »
There are a bunch of reports that Urban Meyer really liked Fields and graded him out 2nd.  He was also in the mix for the Niners.  Just bc the Jets of all teams liked Wilson, doesn't mean Fields is a bust.

Nagy was being hyperbolic to gas up his QB, his team, and the pick (and obviously make him and Pace look like geniuses), but save for Lawrence, Fields has been insanely hyped since he was 16 or so.  He was the MVP of the Elite11 camp going into his senior year.  He was the top recruit in the country by ESPN, and #2 behind Lawrence in Rivals and 247.  He was good in limited action as a freshman.  Then went to OSU and was fantastic his 2 years.  Until a bunch of nonsense during the season came up about him, he was the clear consensus #2 pick and if not for Lawrence being a prototype generational talent, Fields would have had the same sort of buzz all season.  He’s been highly touted for 5 years and backed it up every step of the way.  I think effusive praise for his ability and potential isn’t unmerited.  This isn’t a Trubisky 2.0 misread (at this stage of the game)

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2021, 10:49:57 AM »
Bradshaw was NFL MVP and 2 time Super Bowl MVP despite supposedly being a “barely above average QB”.  So yea, different era.  Acting like he was a combo of Jameis Winston and Trent Dilfer is absurd revisionist bias

Let me ask you this. How many Super Bowls would Bradshaw have won if he had the GB defense of the time playing in Pittsburgh?

One other thing. A great starting QB, in his 5th season, does not get beat out for the starting job by an 11th round draft pick like Joe Gilliam. Bradshaw himself said the only reason he got the starting job back was because Gilliam was so awful. "He gave me my job back," Bradshaw told sportscaster James Brown on a February 2000 edition of Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel on HBO. "It's not like I beat him out."