[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

How many (if any) fans will be allowed to attend MU games in 2021-22?

Full-throttle opening, pack the Forum
137 (52.7%)
75% capacity
24 (9.2%)
50% capacity
75 (28.8%)
25% capacity
15 (5.8%)
Some miniscule amount as set forth by Health Dept Czars
9 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 260

Author Topic: Ability to attend games in-person next season  (Read 79401 times)

CrowdOf5

• Starter
Re: Ability to attend games in-person next season
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2021, 07:30:10 AM »
This thread is a sad reminder of how hateful and spiteful people in this world are. We can all do better than this.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2021, 07:51:56 AM »
This thread is a sad reminder of how hateful and spiteful people in this world are. We can all do better than this.
Agree - take personal responsibility and get the vaccine and help your fellow human by helping contain a global pandemic. Not getting it out of spite or because your politics breeds mistrust/hate is selfish

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2021, 08:14:07 AM »
My mom had to go to the ER with severe chest pain after the first shot.  Zero health issues prior.  After the second shot, she was in bed for a day with vertigo.  I wish she was the only one I knew who had reactions like this, but there are others.  None of you know the long-term effects either, so like I said, for those who are willing to get it, I sincerely wish you the best.  It will be interesting to revisit all this in 2022.

I've read multiple places that your reaction to the vaccine is indicative of what your reaction to contracting COVID would have been although the vaccine reaction would still be less than actual.  If your mom got COVID she very well could be on a ventilator.  I would think the vaccine reaction would be preferable than that?

panda

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2021, 08:19:49 AM »
I've read multiple places that your reaction to the vaccine is indicative of what your reaction to contracting COVID would have been although the vaccine reaction would still be less than actual.  If your mom got COVID she very well could be on a ventilator.  I would think the vaccine reaction would be preferable than that?

Precisely. The mentioned “afters” are not side effects of the vaccine but simply a systemic reaction to the small amount of virus from the shot. The reactions prove that the vaccine is not only effective but safe.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2021, 08:22:14 AM »
Precisely. The mentioned “afters” are not side effects of the vaccine but simply a systemic reaction to the small amount of virus from the shot. The reactions prove that the vaccine is not only effective but safe.

Yeah I’ve mean that’s cool and all, but my friend’s mom got dizzy after taking the second dose. So I’m out!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2021, 08:24:15 AM »
  Any of you get the J&J vaccine?  You still feeling good about that decision?

Yup, 4 weeks ago with zero side effects, no qualms at all

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2021, 08:31:44 AM »
Really?  I take offense to someone who thinks it's his civic duty to tell me how to live my life, right after claiming to 'respect my opinion'. 

BTW, why do you care if I get the experimental vaccine, or not?  You got the vaccine - you are protected.  I am the one taking the risk, right?
Drive drunk too? God given right. You are taking the risk, right? Actions have consequences.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2021, 08:34:00 AM »
"This town needs an enema!" - Joker, Batman 1989

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2021, 08:35:23 AM »
Yup, 4 weeks ago with zero side effects, no qualms at all

Me too. about 4 weeks ago as well.  I am fine with it, especially since I only had to have one shot.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2021, 08:36:04 AM »
MUCam

I really want to believe your statement that empathy will turn the tide.

The reality is that these people are not just lacking information. They are not waiting to see how the vaccines work long-term.

These are truly selfish individuals who choose to ignore science, statistics and how we get over this pandemic. These are people that will put their foot down and make a pandemic about themselves. They choose to harm everyone else because “tHe GoVeRnMeNt WoNt TeLl Me To GeT vAcCiNaTeD.” These are the people trying to make Dr. Fauci a bad guy or a criminal.

I have more respect for the original anti-vaxxers such as Jenny McCarthy. At least she believed in something that led her down that path.

This new type of anti-vaxxers are pathetic idiots following the cull. They’re dangerous and until they decide to get a shot should have their access limited.

Empathy and taking time to have a real discussion with vaccine hesitant people is the only way to change their minds... and it can't be done in one sitting.  The biggest problem with jumping to name calling and belittling is that it is FAR too easy to lump the die hard people who will refuse no matter what with those people who are merely hesitant and have been misinformed.  That second group CAN be swayed... but they won't be if we all jump to personal attacks right away without taking the time to really understand why they think the way they do.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2021, 08:36:27 AM »
100% or bust.

This thread is LIT.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2021, 08:39:37 AM »
but they won't be if we all jump to personal attacks right away without taking the time to really understand why they think the way they do.

5 Stages of Technology Adoption - A parallel?

Innovators (2.5%) – Innovators are the first individuals to adopt an innovation. Innovators are willing to take risks, youngest in age, have the highest social class, have great financial lucidity, very social and have closest contact to scientific sources and interaction with other innovators. Risk tolerance has them adopting technologies which may ultimately fail. Financial resources help absorb these failures. (Rogers 1962 5th ed, p. 282)
Early Adopters (13.5%) – This is the second fastest category of individuals who adopt an innovation. These individuals have the highest degree of opinion leadership among the other adopter categories. Early adopters are typically younger in age, have a higher social status, have more financial lucidity, advanced education, and are more socially forward than late adopters. More discrete in adoption choices than innovators. Realize judicious choice of adoption will help them maintain central communication position (Rogers 1962 5th ed, p. 283).

Early Majority (34%) – Individuals in this category adopt an innovation after a varying degree of time. This time of adoption is significantly longer than the innovators and early adopters. Early Majority tend to be slower in the adoption process, have above average social status, contact with early adopters, and seldom hold positions of opinion leadership in a system (Rogers 1962 5th ed, p. 283)

Late Majority (34%) – Individuals in this category will adopt an innovation after the average member of the society. These individuals approach an innovation with a high degree of skepticism and after the majority of society has adopted the innovation. Late Majority are typically skeptical about an innovation, have below average social status, very little financial lucidity, in contact with others in late majority and early majority, very little opinion leadership.

Laggards (16%) – Individuals in this category are the last to adopt an innovation. Unlike some of the previous categories, individuals in this category show little to no opinion leadership. These individuals typically have an aversion to change-agents and tend to be advanced in age. Laggards typically tend to be focused on “traditions”, likely to have lowest social status, lowest financial fluidity, be oldest of all other adopters, in contact with only family and close friends, very little to no opinion leadership.

Curious to see how this lines up with vaccine adoption......

MU82

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2021, 08:44:00 AM »
Sometimes I wonder how we eradicated polio, measles, mumps and other once-horrific diseases ... let alone how we won WWII, got the Interstate highway system built, etc.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2021, 08:45:34 AM »
Sometimes I wonder how we eradicated polio, measles, mumps and other once-horrific diseases ... let alone how we won WWII, got the Interstate highway system built, etc.
Easy - no internet

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2021, 08:46:35 AM »
Sometimes I wonder how we eradicated polio, measles, mumps and other once-horrific diseases ...

And these diseases are having a resurgence thanks to the anti-vaxxers.

Get vaccinated people.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2021, 08:48:34 AM »
Everyone is so angry at one another. That's no way to live life!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2021, 08:49:40 AM »
I'm fine with 100%

As long as that 100% is vaccinated individuals or those who can prove they had Covid in the last year by all means get a ticket.

This country allows freedoms but those freedoms don't give you the right to put others in harms way and transmitting a virus to everyone in there because you don't want a vaccine is a prime example.
Maigh Eo for Sam

HansMoleman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2021, 08:49:58 AM »
Everyone is so angry at one another. That's no way to live life!
Shut up and get your vaccine!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2021, 08:51:54 AM »

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2021, 08:52:11 AM »
Shut up and get your vaccine!
Already did. I don't really get worked up on what others do, just worry about myself. Vaccines are shown to be near 100% effect against serious issues so I don't really care if you let non vaccinated people in.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2021, 08:53:16 AM »
Easy - no internet

Yes, Internet was used at first to speed up the information process in a positive fashion, but now it's being used to propagate low quality opinion/myth.  Combine that with a culture based on "Independent Thought/Action First" and you have an issue.  America's culture is being turned upon itself.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2021, 09:36:18 AM »
Already did. I don't really get worked up on what others do, just worry about myself. Vaccines are shown to be near 100% effect against serious issues so I don't really care if you let non vaccinated people in.
Mostly true...74 breakthrough deaths thus far.  That's a tiny fraction of those vaccinated and an anticipated number.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2021, 09:40:24 AM »
Yes, Internet was used at first to speed up the information process in a positive fashion, but now it's being used to propagate low quality opinion/myth.  Combine that with a culture based on "Independent Thought/Action First" and you have an issue.  America's culture is being turned upon itself.

This is a weird world where you and I are on the same page.

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2021, 09:45:30 AM »

What you have "seen" isn't reality.  Look at the case numbers and hospitalizations since vaccines have become more widely available. 

It works.  It stops the spread of a dangerous disease.

Would have thought my alma mater would have graduated smarter people.

Yep. Anyone who would risk exposure to the virus instead of getting the vaccine isn't paying attention to the actual numbers. Instead, they are listening to propaganda, anecdotes or hypothetical theories.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2021, 09:47:11 AM »
I'm fine with 100%

As long as that 100% is vaccinated individuals or those who can prove they had Covid in the last year by all means get a ticket.

This country allows freedoms but those freedoms don't give you the right to put others in harms way and transmitting a virus to everyone in there because you don't want a vaccine is a prime example.

I really really really do not want places like the Fiserv to be turned into an airport terminal any more than they already are. I have my first shot and can't wait to get my second. I think everyone should do the same and hope people will make that choice for themselves. But I don't want to have to walk around proving it constantly.

And I don't think non-vaccinated people are putting vaccinated people in harm's way. If a vaccinated person wants to hold themselves back from any place where a non-vaccinated person might be, that's their prerogative. I disagree with a person's decision not to get vaccinated, but ultimately it doesn't matter to me if they choose not to, because I'm vaccinated. That's their problem at that point.

We need to move on once everyone who wants to be vaccinated has had the ability to get the shots for themselves. The numbers are never going to go to 0%. People need to come to terms with that and make decisions based on their own personal risk calculus from that point on.