Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

How many (if any) fans will be allowed to attend MU games in 2021-22?

Full-throttle opening, pack the Forum
137 (52.7%)
75% capacity
24 (9.2%)
50% capacity
75 (28.8%)
25% capacity
15 (5.8%)
Some miniscule amount as set forth by Health Dept Czars
9 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 260

Author Topic: Ability to attend games in-person next season  (Read 79158 times)

Warrior of Law

• All American
Ability to attend games in-person next season
« on: April 19, 2021, 01:17:24 PM »
This would be a banner summer to sell tickets for MU basketball.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Ability to attend games in-person next season
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 01:23:27 PM »
Knowing how these things go, 50% seems like our best bet. Hell, the MKE Health Dept. previously wanted test positivity rates of 1% or below for 3-4 weeks to relax masking and distancing measures. They won't be in a rush to open up sporting venues.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 01:41:25 PM »
I went with 25%, largely because of the B117 variant that is really hurting surrounding states like Michigan and Minnesota. If it spreads widely in Wisconsin and people don't keep getting vaccinated, it could be a difficult summer and fall. I could see more if they went with a vaccine passport, but the idea doesn't seem to be gaining much traction.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 01:44:29 PM »
I did 100%, but I’m a raging optimist. I will be interested with what MLB is like in June/July. Granted, those stadiums are bigger and some outdoors.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 01:59:34 PM »
I went with 25%, largely because of the B117 variant that is really hurting surrounding states like Michigan and Minnesota. If it spreads widely in Wisconsin and people don't keep getting vaccinated, it could be a difficult summer and fall. I could see more if they went with a vaccine passport, but the idea doesn't seem to be gaining much traction.

I'm going to be pretty livid if we're stuck at 25-50% bc some people refuse to get vaccines and then the same people b!tch and moan about vaccine passports.  Get on board or get on board.  I want to see Shak and Awe live with 18,000 of my closest friends while putting down copious amounts of Miller Lite and Iron Gate BBQ.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 02:05:58 PM »
It will be 100%
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 02:06:09 PM »
I did 100%, but I’m a raging optimist. I will be interested with what MLB is like in June/July. Granted, those stadiums are bigger and some outdoors.

This is where I am. I have been very cautious during the epidemic, but I am hoping that life is somewhere close to normal by winter.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 02:09:02 PM »
I would be very disappointed if anything less than 100% by the time the season started, and I'm not some sort of COVID denier either. Everyone who wants to be vaccinated should have been vaccinated long before then, and at that point it's personal choice on both sides (vaxxed & unvaxxed) as to who wants to attend. What's the point of a cap in that scenario?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 02:12:21 PM »
I would be very disappointed if anything less than 100% by the time the season started, and I'm not some sort of COVID denier either. Everyone who wants to be vaccinated should have been vaccinated long before then, and at that point it's personal choice on both sides (vaxxed & unvaxxed) as to who wants to attend. What's the point of a cap in that scenario?

Right. Not only that but the economic and social pressures will be too high. Unless there is a variant that puts us back at square one, we will be at 100%.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 02:22:04 PM »
It will be 100%.  More and more people are getting vaccinated every day, and states are beginning to open up to fans 100% right now.  We will see more and more baseball stadiums seek full capacity this summer. 

Much like college football last Fall, the more that commit to it, the more schools won't want to be left out. 

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 02:23:27 PM »
I've attended a Bucks game at 18% capacity, and it wasn't worth it. No atmosphere, in-game entertainment, fake crowd noise, strict mask and seating enforcement.  If you stand, you are scolded. Frankly, just an expensive hassle that I won't bother doing again.

Meanwhile, attended a Brewers game at 25% capacity, and it was fine.  Walked freely through the stadium, concessions available, etc.

If I'm MU, I start the negotiations at 100% and "concede" to 75% capacity, as that would meet their needs for the STHs and students.

"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 03:26:32 PM »
I've attended a Bucks game at 18% capacity, and it wasn't worth it. No atmosphere, in-game entertainment, fake crowd noise, strict mask and seating enforcement.  If you stand, you are scolded. Frankly, just an expensive hassle that I won't bother doing again.

Meanwhile, attended a Brewers game at 25% capacity, and it was fine.  Walked freely through the stadium, concessions available, etc.

If I'm MU, I start the negotiations at 100% and "concede" to 75% capacity, as that would meet their needs for the STHs and students.
does 75% make any sense in any scenario.? u cant space 75% out that well anyways so even from a safety standpoint its seems pointless

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 03:34:50 PM »
If we had kept the previous regime in place, capacity limits may have been less relevant.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2021, 03:40:46 PM »

A buddy of mine asked if I wanted to go to a game in a few weeks, and I declined for this very reason. I'll go when it resembles a normal sporting event again.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 03:47:24 PM »
A buddy of mine asked if I wanted to go to a game in a few weeks, and I declined for this very reason. I'll go when it resembles a normal sporting event again.

Agreed. I'll go to a Brewers game in a few weeks but won't go to a Bucks game until some sense of normalcy is restored. I've been to plenty of baseball games that had under 50% capacity so it won't feel too bizarre.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2021, 03:57:31 PM »
In 2020, the virtual awards program was this past weekend.  2021, it's been radio silenced. Wainwright did well filling in for Buzz as MC when he hightailed it.

I'll try:

MVP: Garcia
Most Improved: Cain
Best Defense: Theo
6th Man: Greg
Best O: DJ
Hustle: Koby
Rookie: Garcia

Fields missed too much but his tip was Play of the Year.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2021, 04:03:09 PM »
does 75% make any sense in any scenario.? u cant space 75% out that well anyways so even from a safety standpoint its seems pointless
That's why I think it's either 100% or 25%. I voted 25% because I think that'll be the CDC recommendation but I'd be surprised if it's anything but fully open.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2021, 04:09:13 PM »
In 2020, the virtual awards program was this past weekend.  2021, it's been radio silenced. Wainwright did well filling in for Buzz as MC when he hightailed it.

I'll try:

MVP: Garcia
Most Improved: Cain
Best Defense: Theo
6th Man: Greg
Best O: DJ
Hustle: Koby
Rookie: Garcia

Fields missed too much but his tip was Play of the Year.

Can't believe we're losing him to the draft
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

franklinjerry

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2021, 04:18:53 PM »
To hear Fields got credit for the tip-in may push Justin Lewis to the portal.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2021, 05:21:24 PM »
Knowing how these things go, 50% seems like our best bet. Hell, the MKE Health Dept. previously wanted test positivity rates of 1% or below for 3-4 weeks to relax masking and distancing measures. They won't be in a rush to open up sporting venues.

If the test positivity rate is going to be the determining factor, someone needs to start a campaign to flood the testing centers with fully vaccinated people. I would volunteer to go every day.
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2021, 05:24:46 PM »
If the test positivity rate is going to be the determining factor, someone needs to start a campaign to flood the testing centers with fully vaccinated people. I would volunteer to go every day.

Umm...or just get everyone vaccinated. That might be a better plan than trying to fraudulently juice the numbers.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2021, 05:25:52 PM »
I have fingers crossed for 100%. I want the FF rocking next season. That said, not very optimistic on being more than 50% at this moment.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2021, 05:33:11 PM »
Umm...or just get everyone vaccinated. That might be a better plan than trying to fraudulently juice the numbers.

It's a fraudulent number to begin with. If you have no control over the sampling, you have no basis to form conclusions on the results. If the testing was done completely randomly, that would be a different story.

And how do you suggest we get everyone vaccinated? Hold the unwilling ones down while someone jabs the needle in?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 05:52:12 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2021, 05:43:23 PM »
It better be close to 100%

I went to recent Bucks game ( got free tics ) and I agree with Warrior.  It is pretty darn awful!  I will not go back.
Nobody there. No atmosphere.  Lame
“ entertainment “ ... really bad

And ... btw ... how would the MU athletic dept survive another year of ZERO income / gate revenue?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2021, 06:01:39 PM »
It's a fraudulent number to begin with. If you have no control over the sampling, you have no basis to form conclusions on the results. If the testing was done completely randomly, that would be a different story.

And how do you suggest we get everyone tested? Hold the unwilling ones down while someone jabs the needle in?

I assume you mean vaccinated? Passports. You want to return to normal societal events like a sporting event, you get a vaccine & bring proof.

No different than how kids need to be vaccinated to attend school.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.