'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Scott Drew v Wojo  (Read 12830 times)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Scott Drew v Wojo
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2021, 08:23:53 AM »
This thread takes the cake for stupid.

Good to get it out of the way really early into the offseason though. We can only go up from here.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2021, 08:24:23 AM »
Some Scoopers think a murder that doesn’t make the papers is better than allegations of sexual assault (for which no charges are filed) hitting the Chicago Tribune.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that both are pretty bad.  And I think most Scoopers would agree.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2021, 08:32:20 AM »
FWIW, Scott Drew was known to sleep on dirt floors when he was trying to recruit players in Africa at Valpo. Safe to say, that was not happening at Duke...

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2021, 08:43:53 AM »
Some Scoopers think a murder that doesn’t make the papers is better than allegations of sexual assault (for which no charges are filed) hitting the Chicago Tribune.

Baylor has those too...it cost a football coach and the president of the university their jobs.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/baylor-ncaa-basketball-national-championship-scott-drew-11617715084

Neither are acceptable, but these words from the article are just stunning...the restrictions on that program following the incident were incremental to what happened at MU.  So yes, the 'basketball' situation was much much worse.

"One of its basketball players had murdered a teammate in June 2003. The previous coach, Dave Bliss, resigned when it emerged that he had attempted to frame the deceased as a drug dealer, a ploy to dispel allegations that some members of the team had accepted money to play."
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 08:49:34 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2021, 09:29:36 AM »

This thread takes the cake for stupid.

Good to get it out of the way really early into the offseason though. We can only go up from here.

If only this was true....

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2021, 09:40:40 AM »
One also worked for the dirtiest athletic department in the country. Has its perks.

But comparing Wojo to Drew is dumb stupid.

...which is what your actually meant.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2021, 09:41:43 AM »
Thanks for creating this thread so all the “PrO-jOs ArE a StRaWmAn, ThEy DoN’t EvEn ExIsT” crowd can see.

By this logic, any bad-to-mediocre coach deserves what, 15 years of failure before being fired? Besides, Wojo’s regular season and tournament record are only one (big) reason he had to go.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 09:43:41 AM by TwoWords »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2021, 09:45:16 AM »
Heisey with another winning thread. I am sure this comparison was discussed across the country last night.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2021, 09:47:17 AM »
Wut?!

The murder was one thing (the murderer, Dotson, had mental issues) but what was worse was Bliss’ attempted cover up. He was caught on tape trying to get his assistant to paint the murder victim, Dennehy, as a drug dealer. Bliss did this because he’d been paying both under the table and was looking for a way to avoid questions as to how they could afford to be walk ons the previous season.

As a part of the cover up, Bliss flew, secretly, to convince another player’s family to lie about how they paid the kid’s tuition. The issue though was the kid didn’t know he wasn’t on scholarship. Bliss was paying it.

Oh yeah, the coach who busted Bliss was blacklisted. He hasn’t worked in college hoops since. Even the paragon of virtue, Coach K, called the guy out.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 09:54:22 AM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

joparks

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2021, 11:46:37 AM »
People who make these types of arguments are similar to "hoarders".  They always fear they are somehow going to miss out on any value.  They never discard anything because they think some day it will be worth something.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

CowtownWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2021, 12:09:54 PM »
Young Coaches can take a while (sometimes a decade) to figure it out

Scott Drew was hired in 2003. 

His first six seasons.

Overall 81-95
B12 24-70
NCAA zero
Best NIT runner up

Wojo first six seasons

Overall 124-93
BE 59-68
NCAA zero
Best NIT Quarters

Baylor was patient with Drew and it paid off.  MU was not with Wojo.

Now MU has a new young coach.  How patient will they be with him?

I agree with Heisenberg.  I believe we needed to be more patient with Wojo.  We now have to be patient with our new young coach.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2021, 12:10:52 PM »

Oh yeah, the coach who busted Bliss was blacklisted. He hasn’t worked in college hoops since. Even the paragon of virtue, Coach K, called the guy out.

I didn't know this part of the story. Disgusting
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2021, 12:12:59 PM »

The more I read and hear about Coach K, the more I realize he has done a wonderful job crafting his public image.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2021, 12:13:26 PM »
"Disgraced" is a pretty good watch.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theundefeated.com/features/showtime-documentary-disgraced-resurfaces-story-of-murdered-player-at-baylor/amp/

It’s really good. Dennehy wasn’t ON scholarship and getting paid under the table. The NCAA investigators that had all of the dirt on Bliss at SMU, but decided that SMU had had enough after the football death penalty. The Sampson, Boeheim, coach K panel complaining about the assistant (who bliss was trying to blame for everything) for wearing a wire.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2021, 12:19:32 PM »
Yep.  Dave Bliss was an assistant at Army under Bobby Knight when Coach K was a player there.  Defended his guy.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2021, 12:24:07 PM »
The murder was one thing (the murderer, Dotson, had mental issues) but what was worse was Bliss’ attempted cover up. He was caught on tape trying to get his assistant to paint the murder victim, Dennehy, as a drug dealer. Bliss did this because he’d been paying both under the table and was looking for a way to avoid questions as to how they could afford to be walk ons the previous season.

As a part of the cover up, Bliss flew, secretly, to convince another player’s family to lie about how they paid the kid’s tuition. The issue though was the kid didn’t know he wasn’t on scholarship. Bliss was paying it.

Oh fair play. I thought you meant more leading up to the murder.  But yeah, the coverup attempts were preposterous and gross.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2021, 01:02:15 PM »
I agree with Heisenberg.  I believe we needed to be more patient with Wojo.  We now have to be patient with our new young coach.
Heisenberg's post was only mildly funny but now the joke has run its course.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2021, 01:04:57 PM »
Trolls gon troll
No Finish Line

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2021, 01:54:01 PM »
Young Coaches can take a while (sometimes a decade) to figure it out

Scott Drew was hired in 2003. 

His first six seasons.

Overall 81-95
B12 24-70
NCAA zero
Best NIT runner up

Wojo first six seasons

Overall 124-93
BE 59-68
NCAA zero
Best NIT Quarters

Baylor was patient with Drew and it paid off.  MU was not with Wojo.

Now MU has a new young coach.  How patient will they be with him?

As usual, you cherry-pick with the best. Drew took over when players were literally murdering each other and the coach was conspiring in a coverup. Drug use was rampant. They received huge sanctions - the worst ever for a school without getting the "death penalty".

Yet, in years 4-6, Drew had a record of 60-42 despite having to start from a much, much worse place than Wojo.

So, you can pretend the situations were comparable. Doing such exposes your ignorance.

Magnum

• Walk-On
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2021, 02:03:48 PM »
Both programs were a mess when they started.

Wojo inherited a mess similar to what Roy Williams inherited at UNC... Drew inherited a mess similar to what Forest Gregg inherited at SMU.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2021, 02:08:50 PM »

Wojo is 9 months older than our "young coach" but the "young coach" has 5 more years of head coaching experience.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2021, 02:16:31 PM »
Wojo inherited a mess similar to what Roy Williams inherited at UNC... Drew inherited a mess similar to what Forest Gregg inherited at SMU.

Roy Williams inherited three NBA lottery picks. Not sure that's the best comparison to what Wojo inherited.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2021, 02:24:05 PM »

I was a projo - or at least a so-sojo- for a lot longer than many on this board. As much as I didn’t like the results, I could have lived with it if I had some reason to believe he was improving. What pushed me over the edge this year was when I became utterly convinced that he wasn’t getting better and that another year (or two or three) would have been more of the same.

You give young coaches more time when you think they are improving. If you become convinced that they are not, you’ve got to cut your losses.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2021, 02:46:08 PM »
I was a projo - or at least a so-sojo- for a lot longer than many on this board. As much as I didn’t like the results, I could have lived with it if I had some reason to believe he was improving. What pushed me over the edge this year was when I became utterly convinced that he wasn’t getting better and that another year (or two or three) would have been more of the same.

You give young coaches more time when you think they are improving. If you become convinced that they are not, you’ve got to cut your losses.

Nice post, Still. I felt the same way.