Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Stan Johnson.... enough said...  (Read 4746 times)

duanewade

• Team Captain
Stan Johnson.... enough said...
« on: March 19, 2021, 05:04:33 PM »
I'm so confused.  The same board full of clueless woke warriors who alienated so many from coming here are the same ones who have lists of Wojo replacements with no coaches of color?  Actually not so shocking if you are an expert on people like I am.

The easy choice to replace Wojo is Stan Johnson.  He's relatively cheap, he intimately knows Marquette and Marquette intimately knows him.  He now has one year of head coaching experience under his belt where LMU went 7-5 in conference this year vs 4-12 the year before he got there... so already has shown some coaching chops.  Further he's a great recruiter and knows most-to-all the players already which will avoid mass defections and a longer term rebuild. 

Lovell has lost so much goodwill and good money on so many stupid projects that MU can't go out and overspend on getting a high priced coach. 

So Stan Johnson it is... he checks a lot of boxes and he so happens to be African American as well in an era that is hot on diversity and inclusion.  My gut tells me he'd be a good to great hire as I've always been impressed by him in his interviews and the energy he showed on the sidelines while he was an assistant.  The one knock on him is Wojo lost with him as his main assistant so he'll have to be very convincing in his zoom interview relaying why he will be different and far more successful than Wojo was.     

Alternatively another Loyola Coach in Porter Moser would also be a good hire.  I grew up down the street from Porter and used to go to Ray Meyer Basketball Camp with him as he was between the ages of me and my older brother.  St. John's might not have felt right to him but I'm sure Marquette will and he'll be hard pressed to turn down any offer from MU if it were to come. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 07:14:27 PM by duanewade »

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
Re: Stan Johnson.... enough said...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 05:05:38 PM »
Anyone in the Wojo tree is a nojo for me. Clean slate
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 05:06:17 PM »
I don’t want the cheapest coach.  I want the best coach.  If that is Stan, I’m all for it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 05:06:44 PM »
You being from Naperville fits the profile
Maigh Eo for Sam

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 05:06:56 PM »
I love Stan.  One of the nicest, down to earth guys I’ve had the pleasure of talking to multiple times. 

Can’t say the same for the other assistants

Not advocating on hiring Stan, but he’s a personal favorite of mine

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 05:07:06 PM »
Anyone in the Wojo tree is a nojo for me. Clean slate

I tend to agree with this statement.  But if he is the best candidate, do it.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 05:08:00 PM »
We need to cleanse ourselves of anything and everything that Wojo touched.

That means no former assistants, no Duke tree, no branches off of a Duke tree.

We need a legitimate fresh start.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 05:09:09 PM »
Stan feels like Wojo v2. Knows how to recruit, but in-game chops and X's and O's remain a question mark. I would hope we can find someone who has a longer resume than Stan, even if the program knows him well.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 05:10:27 PM »
Stan Johnson ?

Hard pass

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 05:11:05 PM »
Dennis Gates anyone?

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 05:15:58 PM »
Stan feels like Wojo v2. Knows how to recruit, but in-game chops and X's and O's remain a question mark. I would hope we can find someone who has a longer resume than Stan, even if the program knows him well.
Your point is noted but Urban Meyer once was an assistant under Bob Davie.

Bob Davie was dreadful but his shadow didn't impact Urban Meyer as he went on to be the top 3 head coaches in college football.  Always a guessing game when you hire assistants as head coaches but hiring re-tread head coaches with moderate success (i.e.: Thad Motta) isn't ideal either. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 05:19:54 PM »
We know Stan can recruit. From personal experience I can attest that he has the ability to make you want to run through a wall. Very charismatic. I just don't know how his in game coaching would be. His first year at Loyola Marymount was good but no idea if that's sustainable. It does seem backwards to fire the #1 and promote #2.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 05:20:50 PM »
I'm so confused.  The same board full of clueless woke warriors who alienated so many from coming here are the same ones who have a lists of Wojo replacements with no coaches of color?  Actually not so shocking if you are an expert on people like I am.

The easy choice to replace Wojo is Stan Johnson.  He's relatively cheap, he intimately knows Marquette and Marquette intimately knows him.  He now has one year of head coaching experience under his belt where LMU went 7-5 in conference this year vs 4-12 the year before he got there... so already has shown some coaching chops.  Further he's a great recruiter and knows most-to-all the players already which will avoid mass defections and a longer term rebuild. 

Lovell has lost so much goodwill and good money on so many stupid projects that MU can't go out and overspend on getting a high priced coach. 

So Stan Johnson it is... he checks a lot of boxes and he so happens to be African American as well in an era that is hot on diversity and inclusion.  My gut tells me he'd be a good to great hire as I've always been impressed by him in his interviews and the energy he showed on the sidelines while he was an assistant.  The one knock on him is Wojo lost with him as his main assistant so he'll have to be very convincing in his zoom interview relaying why he will be different and far more successful than Wojo was.     

Alternatively another Loyola Coach in Porter Moser would also be a good hire.  I grew up down the street from Porter and used to go to Ray Meyer Basketball Camp with him as he was between the ages of me and my older brother.  St. John's might not have felt right to him but I'm sure Marquette will and he'll be hard pressed to turn down any offer from MU if it were to come.

I wish you remained alienated.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 05:22:07 PM »
I asked if anyone brought up Stan a couple days ago.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2021, 05:22:17 PM »
Hard no to anyone that has touched this program since Wojo came onboard

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2021, 05:34:25 PM »

I'd love to see us make a run at Porter. His teams don't play tight and scared, he's a good guy, very charismatic and he can win in March.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2021, 05:37:04 PM »
I'd love to see us make a run at Porter. His teams don't play tight and scared, he's a good guy, very charismatic and he can win in March.

And his teams play defense for 40 minutes.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2021, 05:37:14 PM »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2021, 05:37:27 PM »
I think it would actually be a good hire. The only reason he would be a candidate though is because of his experience here under Wojo which doesn’t sit well with me. It’s time to flush and start over.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2021, 05:38:28 PM »
I'm so confused.  The same board full of clueless woke warriors who alienated so many from coming here are the same ones who have a lists of Wojo replacements with no coaches of color?  Actually not so shocking if you are an expert on people like I am.

Multiple candidates of color have been mentioned.  Gates, McKay, Johnson, etc. probably should pay attention.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2021, 05:50:27 PM »

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2021, 06:04:53 PM »
Your point is noted but Urban Meyer once was an assistant under Bob Davie.

Bob Davie was dreadful but his shadow didn't impact Urban Meyer as he went on to be the top 3 head coaches in college football.  Always a guessing game when you hire assistants as head coaches but hiring re-tread head coaches with moderate success (i.e.: Thad Motta) isn't ideal either.

I remember following the ND coaching search almost ten years ago. They realized that gambling on top assistants and guys that lacked college HC experience (Faust, Davie, Willingham, Weis) weren’t the answer no matter how impressive their resumes were. The best coaches to hire were the ones that had head coaching experience (Kelly, Holtz). The results are night and day. IMO in the fast paced word of coaching cbb, there isn’t enough time for on the job training. We need someone that has a track record of success as a head coach. 
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2021, 07:08:59 PM »
I remember following the ND coaching search almost ten years ago. They realized that gambling on top assistants and guys that lacked college HC experience (Faust, Davie, Willingham, Weis) weren’t the answer no matter how impressive their resumes were. The best coaches to hire were the ones that had head coaching experience (Kelly, Holtz). The results are night and day. IMO in the fast paced word of coaching cbb, there isn’t enough time for on the job training. We need someone that has a track record of success as a head coach.
Tyrone Willingham had head coaching experience and was a horrible hire.  I would argue that Kelly is a bad hire also as he has yet to outcoach anyone in his tenure and only beats teams he has more talent than. 

Buzz Williams was an assistant at MU elevated to head coach and was far different than Crean in spite of being his assistant.  He worked out wonderfully before the admin soured on him and he flaked out as well. 

This is a big investment and hire so hopefully they will do their due diligence and identify and hire the right person. 

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2021, 07:58:09 PM »
I know there have been jokes but  Dwyane Wade might be a good coach

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2021, 08:00:13 PM »
I know there have been jokes but  Dwyane Wade might be a good coach

Things St. John's said about Mullins, Houston said about Drexler, Georgetown thought about Ewing.

Maigh Eo for Sam