'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Stan Johnson.... enough said...  (Read 4745 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Stan Johnson.... enough said...
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2021, 08:07:07 PM »
I know there have been jokes but  Dwyane Wade might be a good coach

Based on what?  He has no coaching experience at any level.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2021, 08:10:53 PM »
I love the woke reasoning of “Hire the black guy because he’s cheap.”

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2021, 08:13:18 PM »
I love the woke reasoning of “Hire the black guy because he’s cheap.”

Uh... who said this?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2021, 08:15:46 PM »
Things St. John's said about Mullins, Houston said about Drexler, Georgetown thought about Ewing.
Ewing still might be a good coach

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2021, 08:16:02 PM »
Uh... who said this?

The easy choice to replace Wojo is Stan Johnson.  He's relatively cheap, he intimately knows Marquette and Marquette intimately knows him. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2021, 08:16:57 PM »
Things St. John's said about Mullins, Houston said about Drexler, Georgetown thought about Ewing.

Penny had strong AAU experience.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2021, 08:26:20 PM »
Anyone in the Wojo tree is a nojo for me. Clean slate

Agreed

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2021, 08:26:21 PM »
Dwaynewade said nothing about Stan being black and is hardly woke. Otherwise great post PRN.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2021, 08:27:31 PM »
But is he an expert on people???

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2021, 08:32:47 PM »

Relatively cheap in that he's not a big proven name at this point.  So we can get him for $1MM to $2MM and change per year vs. $2.5MM to $5MM for a proven big name.  If he starts recruiting and winning at a high level then quickly restructure his contract with a raise and a high buyout. 

Viper

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2021, 08:33:43 PM »
I'm so confused.  The same board full of clueless woke warriors who alienated so many from coming here are the same ones who have lists of Wojo replacements with no coaches of color?  Actually not so shocking if you are an expert on people like I am.

The easy choice to replace Wojo is Stan Johnson.  He's relatively cheap, he intimately knows Marquette and Marquette intimately knows him.  He now has one year of head coaching experience under his belt where LMU went 7-5 in conference this year vs 4-12 the year before he got there... so already has shown some coaching chops.  Further he's a great recruiter and knows most-to-all the players already which will avoid mass defections and a longer term rebuild. 

Lovell has lost so much goodwill and good money on so many stupid projects that MU can't go out and overspend on getting a high priced coach. 

So Stan Johnson it is... he checks a lot of boxes and he so happens to be African American as well in an era that is hot on diversity and inclusion.  My gut tells me he'd be a good to great hire as I've always been impressed by him in his interviews and the energy he showed on the sidelines while he was an assistant.  The one knock on him is Wojo lost with him as his main assistant so he'll have to be very convincing in his zoom interview relaying why he will be different and far more successful than Wojo was.     

Alternatively another Loyola Coach in Porter Moser would also be a good hire.  I grew up down the street from Porter and used to go to Ray Meyer Basketball Camp with him as he was between the ages of me and my older brother.  St. John's might not have felt right to him but I'm sure Marquette will and he'll be hard pressed to turn down any offer from MU if it were to come.
IMO, Moser only if the options are nil. How many ncaa bids at LC? I’m
not convinced he’ll recruit at high D-1. There’s got to be a successful high D-1 guy that looks at MU as a sleeping giant and wants in.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2021, 08:39:05 PM »
I'm so confused.  The same board full of clueless woke warriors who alienated so many from coming here are the same ones who have lists of Wojo replacements with no coaches of color?  Actually not so shocking if you are an expert on people like I am.

The easy choice to replace Wojo is Stan Johnson.  He's relatively cheap, he intimately knows Marquette and Marquette intimately knows him.  He now has one year of head coaching experience under his belt where LMU went 7-5 in conference this year vs 4-12 the year before he got there... so already has shown some coaching chops.  Further he's a great recruiter and knows most-to-all the players already which will avoid mass defections and a longer term rebuild. 

Lovell has lost so much goodwill and good money on so many stupid projects that MU can't go out and overspend on getting a high priced coach. 

So Stan Johnson it is... he checks a lot of boxes and he so happens to be African American as well in an era that is hot on diversity and inclusion.  My gut tells me he'd be a good to great hire as I've always been impressed by him in his interviews and the energy he showed on the sidelines while he was an assistant.  The one knock on him is Wojo lost with him as his main assistant so he'll have to be very convincing in his zoom interview relaying why he will be different and far more successful than Wojo was.     

Alternatively another Loyola Coach in Porter Moser would also be a good hire.  I grew up down the street from Porter and used to go to Ray Meyer Basketball Camp with him as he was between the ages of me and my older brother.  St. John's might not have felt right to him but I'm sure Marquette will and he'll be hard pressed to turn down any offer from MU if it were to come.

His contribution to the Hauser leaving might hurt his case. And if you want an African American hire, there are better coaches

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2021, 08:41:50 PM »
IMO, Moser only if the options are nil. How many ncaa bids at LC? I’m
not convinced he’ll recruit at high D-1. There’s got to be a successful high D-1 guy that looks at MU as a sleeping giant and wants in.

It's Loyola...They still play at the Gentile Center which is smaller than the Al. Any amount of bids greater than zero is a borderline miracle.

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2021, 08:42:50 PM »
I doubt he wants the job as he lives a very charmed life and coaching can be a grind.  However if he were to push for the job I would strongly consider him as he almost deserves a chance at the MU job for what he did for Marquette Basketball.

However I agree that many past players have become poor head coaches as their talent on the floor doesn't translate to talent as a program leader, administrator and coach. 

I would love to be a fly on the wall to hear all the names being considered or what candidates are quietly calling in and expressing their interest in the job.  I'm sure there are some names that no one would think of.  For example I know Isiah Thomas expressed an interest in the Loyola job before they chose Porter Moser so you never know who might be interested. 

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2021, 09:36:30 PM »
Dennis Gates anyone?

Dennis Gates would be a great hire. Two-time first-team All-Academic at Cal, from the Midwest but has coached all over the country, coach of the year the last two seasons at Cleveland St., and has MU ties.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2021, 12:00:17 AM »
It's Loyola...They still play at the Gentile Center which is smaller than the Al. Any amount of bids greater than zero is a borderline miracle.

Not at all true. Gentile Center seats slight under 5000.  The Al seats 3500, maybe a touch more. And it’s nicer than where NW plays.

Loyola isn’t Marquette but it’s not like they are Chicago St or Centenary either. Pump the brakes