'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU coaching candidates  (Read 91612 times)

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
Re: MU coaching candidates
« Reply #575 on: March 22, 2021, 01:52:51 PM »
The ceiling would be no different than what it has been the last 7 years.  Only difference is the team would be better coached by far.
Not sure Markus, Dawson, Henry, Lewis are coming to Marquette under Moser. Same reason Herro backed out of Wisconsin. It's not a bad thing as far as the team is concerned, but Wojo was definitely selling shots per minute as a freshman in his powerpoint presentation to those guys. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #576 on: March 22, 2021, 02:11:33 PM »
It won't......

Because we're bringing back Wojo, or because we're bringing in Leitao?

Yep. Even if Moser couldn't recruit quite the same level of talent to MU as we're used to, it would make for a very entertaining brand of basketball.

I think it depends on how one defines "entertaining." For some, they want high-flying dunks and/or high-pressure defense. Anything else, they call "boring."

But I agree with you. I have watched Loyola's two games in this tournament and a couple during the season, and I find it entertaining and satisfying.

It's kind of like watching a baseball team win by doing all the fundamentals and little things right rather than swinging as hard as they can going for home runs every time.

Still, it's important to have athletes who can do all the little things right while playing better opponents game after game.

Not sure Markus, Dawson, Henry, Lewis are coming to Marquette under Moser. Same reason Herro backed out of Wisconsin. It's not a bad thing as far as the team is concerned, but Wojo was definitely selling shots per minute as a freshman in his powerpoint presentation to those guys. 

This absolutely could be true.

Then again, most of Buzz's recruits weren't highly sought after. He was a great salesman who convinced them they could be part of something wonderful.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

hawk

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #577 on: March 22, 2021, 05:27:33 PM »
while not mutually exclusive the coaching/recruiting  issue is a bit like the uncertainty principle in physics, the more you know about one the less you know about the other.  That being the case isn't wiser to take a guy who can coach and possibly get the most out of less talent than the guy who can recruit but is more likely to get less out of more?  Given the stature of the program at MU, I would think it wier to take the guy who can coach and allow the program to attract quality players

dajudge

• Starter
« Reply #578 on: March 22, 2021, 05:43:43 PM »
while not mutually exclusive the coaching/recruiting  issue is a bit like the uncertainty principle in physics, the more you know about one the less you know about the other.  That being the case isn't wiser to take a guy who can coach and possibly get the most out of less talent than the guy who can recruit but is more likely to get less out of more?  Given the stature of the program at MU, I would think it wier to take the guy who can coach and allow the program to attract quality players
JS/Steele new article today but nothing new (can’t link subscribers only)
Moser/Beilein/smith/Kelsey/gates

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #579 on: March 22, 2021, 05:48:49 PM »

Sound like your saying they're leaving regardless who the coach is.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #580 on: March 22, 2021, 08:34:06 PM »
The more you read and hear about Dennis Gates, the harder it is to not be impressed by the guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoNOVmOCu8w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyF7wDPlZVE

https://theundefeated.com/features/dennis-gates-bet-on-himself-and-brought-cleveland-state-back-to-the-ncaa-tournament/

First two are brief videos about his time at Florida State, the third is a recent Undefeated article about his time at Cleveland State.

Telling that Jonathan Isaac, CJ Walker, and other stars at Florida State mention that he's the main reason they committed to FSU: he was "the big brother they didn't have".  Leonard Hamilton said he's the most well-prepared coach he's ever worked with.  I get that these things are meant to be puff pieces, but you listen to the guy and it's hard to argue with it.  His guys genuinely love him, he was one of the heads of the Leadership Committee at Florida State, and he's shown he has legit head coaching chops.  That and the fact he has Chicago/Whitney Young roots, played at Cal so has West Coast ties, and thrived at Florida State so has Southeast ties, it's no surprise he has such a sterling reputation as a dynamite recruiter.

I have had pause on Gates because it seems like quasi-Wojo 2.0 with slightly more experience: a long-time assistant under a phenomenal coach who is regarded as an incredible recruiter.  And I have always preferred Beilein (sounds like that's not happening) or Shaka.  But the more I learn about Dennis Gates the more and more excited I'd be if he got the job here.  Certainly not as flashy as Shaka, who I think I still want as a Plan A, but I think Gates could be an incredible hire for Marquette if that's the route they go.

Whether it's at Marquette, or at the next high major spot he'd end up at, I don't see a scenario where Dennis Gates isn't a really successful head coach.  I'm a huge fan.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #581 on: March 22, 2021, 08:44:32 PM »
Fluff

Didn’t know you were in sales, thought you worked for a college/university. Anyway, what would be a bigger waste of time for a salesman - making a phone call to a big fish who will likely turn you down or spending a couple of hours every workday BSing with guys on a message board? Asking for a friend.

Lenny= Ja Morent
Fluff= Joey Hauser with a face full of Ja's scrotum.

Bravo, Lenny.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #582 on: March 22, 2021, 08:58:53 PM »
I'd be excited for Gates if that was the choice.

One name I saw in some article I haven't seen here is Charles Lee asst coach for the bucks. Young but has already been interviewed for an NBA coaching position. Couple years exp. @ bucknell where he was conf poy in 2006.  Seems to be on NBA fast track so maybe not interested in college. 

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #583 on: March 22, 2021, 09:16:21 PM »

Maybe, maybe not on those specific players but Henry being a one and done and all about himself probably hurt Wojo and is not helpful for a program like Marquette.  Those players if they didn't come would have been replaced by other very good 4 star players.  Wisconsin, Gonzaga and Virginia and those types of programs can and do recruit high talent and last I checked they consistently make the NCAA tournament with success.  To say hiring Moser would instantly cap us from not getting top 100 players is disingenuous.  I actually think players like Markus, Dawson and Lewis would benefit greatly from a coach like Moser.  For how great we like to think Wojo is at recruiting there has not been a parade of players joining the NBA.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #584 on: March 22, 2021, 09:24:25 PM »
Not all can be amazingly productive like me.

you must be on an MU transfer commission then eyn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #585 on: March 22, 2021, 09:28:54 PM »
The more you read and hear about Dennis Gates, the harder it is to not be impressed by the guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoNOVmOCu8w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyF7wDPlZVE

https://theundefeated.com/features/dennis-gates-bet-on-himself-and-brought-cleveland-state-back-to-the-ncaa-tournament/

First two are brief videos about his time at Florida State, the third is a recent Undefeated article about his time at Cleveland State.

Telling that Jonathan Isaac, CJ Walker, and other stars at Florida State mention that he's the main reason they committed to FSU: he was "the big brother they didn't have".  Leonard Hamilton said he's the most well-prepared coach he's ever worked with.  I get that these things are meant to be puff pieces, but you listen to the guy and it's hard to argue with it.  His guys genuinely love him, he was one of the heads of the Leadership Committee at Florida State, and he's shown he has legit head coaching chops.  That and the fact he has Chicago/Whitney Young roots, played at Cal so has West Coast ties, and thrived at Florida State so has Southeast ties, it's no surprise he has such a sterling reputation as a dynamite recruiter.

I have had pause on Gates because it seems like quasi-Wojo 2.0 with slightly more experience: a long-time assistant under a phenomenal coach who is regarded as an incredible recruiter.  And I have always preferred Beilein (sounds like that's not happening) or Shaka.  But the more I learn about Dennis Gates the more and more excited I'd be if he got the job here.  Certainly not as flashy as Shaka, who I think I still want as a Plan A, but I think Gates could be an incredible hire for Marquette if that's the route they go.

Whether it's at Marquette, or at the next high major spot he'd end up at, I don't see a scenario where Dennis Gates isn't a really successful head coach.  I'm a huge fan.

Agreed with all and thanks for the links. Gates is my very close #2, I think we'd ve in very good hands with him at the helm

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #586 on: March 22, 2021, 09:31:07 PM »
Maybe, maybe not on those specific players but Henry being a one and done and all about himself probably hurt Wojo and is not helpful for a program like Marquette.  Those players if they didn't come would have been replaced by other very good 4 star players.  Wisconsin, Gonzaga and Virginia and those types of programs can and do recruit high talent and last I checked they consistently make the NCAA tournament with success.  To say hiring Moser would instantly cap us from not getting top 100 players is disingenuous.  I actually think players like Markus, Dawson and Lewis would benefit greatly from a coach like Moser.  For how great we like to think Wojo is at recruiting there has not been a parade of players joining the NBA.

Gonzaga doesn’t belong in the same discussion as Wisconsin and UVA when it comes to recruiting.

Tony Bennett has been at UVA for 12 years, been an NCAA caliber team for the last 10, a consistent top 15 team for the last 8...and he’s put 7 (maybe 8) guys he recruited in the NBA, and 3 of those are in the last 2 years.  That’s much lower than most schools in that position. Louisville has 10 in that time. Michigan 12-13, Michigan St 12, etc... Same situation with Wisconsin.

It doesn’t instantly cap anything but it’s a much different and more difficult recruiting pitch for a slow, defense first style.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #587 on: March 22, 2021, 11:38:07 PM »
Does twitter order followers by most recent still? Gates top followers are basically all of MU basketball past 20 years (including Buzz). I know he was at MU, just wondering if everyone is reaching out now.  #twittertracker
Bumping this. Most of his MU followers have now unfollowed him including Broeker and several assistants.

Does it mean something? Nothing? Hard to say.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #588 on: March 22, 2021, 11:53:07 PM »
Bumping this. Most of his MU followers have now unfollowed him including Broeker and several assistants.

I see Broeker and Gainey still follow him. He follows Danielle Josetti of MU as well. Not sure if some of these are just based on his time at MU and the fact the coaching fraternity is pretty small.

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #589 on: March 23, 2021, 05:11:56 AM »

This is not true.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #590 on: March 23, 2021, 01:41:42 PM »
The way I look at it, I'm not going to get too high or too low based on whoever we hire.  People with more at stake and who are more knowledgeable about the candidates and the situation than me are making the decision.  I'll give whoever is selected my support and root for the best.  (I had my concerns but Wojo didn't lose me until the finish to 2019-20 season.)

The only conceivable hire that would move me much would be Tom Crean.  I liked him when he was here, but I never think it is a good idea to bring someone back like that, so I would be very disappointed in that hire. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #591 on: March 23, 2021, 01:54:03 PM »
The way I look at it, I'm not going to get too high or too low based on whoever we hire.  People with more at stake and who are more knowledgeable about the candidates and the situation than me are making the decision.  I'll give whoever is selected my support and root for the best.  (I had my concerns but Wojo didn't lose me until the finish to 2019-20 season.)

The only conceivable hire that would move me much would be Tom Crean.  I liked him when he was here, but I never think it is a good idea to bring someone back like that, so I would be very disappointed in that hire.
I agree with this, but honestly I'll be at least a little disappointed if they hire an assistant with no head coaching experience again.  (I know Buzz had a little experience, but still...)  I know experience is no guarantee of success and lack of experience is no guarantee of failure, but I just want to see them try something different and to showcase to the world that this is a desirable job within the coaching community.  I know it's stilly, but here we are...

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #592 on: March 23, 2021, 01:55:16 PM »

That's a good way to look at it. After all, history is full of 'home run hires' that went bust, and no-name hires (Buzz) who achieved great success.

I have my preferences, and will be a happier with some than others, but I won't completely lose it if MU doesn't hire one of my top choices.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #593 on: March 23, 2021, 01:56:14 PM »
Recent Video  with Gates. I like his thought process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQfTUrfHADY
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GOO

• All American
« Reply #594 on: March 23, 2021, 01:57:48 PM »
The pool of potential real options seems a lot better than in the past.  I like out chances of landing a good one.  If it ends up being an assistant, which it probably won't, it will be because the assistant blew everyone away and is the best fit.  Not because there were no other better experienced options.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #595 on: March 23, 2021, 02:06:16 PM »
Agree with this... Packers hired the best person they could find and it worked out to say the least. Pretty much everyone 2nd guessed the picked at some level. Hoping Gates or whomever it is, just knocks their socks off with their plan and they don't worry about immediate twitter reaction.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #596 on: March 23, 2021, 02:14:52 PM »

Plus, much of recruiting is the assistant coaches.  Give Moser real recruiters and he should be fine in that department.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #597 on: March 23, 2021, 04:04:39 PM »
i realize it would be incredible to lure mark few or lavall jordan away from their prospective schools, but "the best thing about freshman is they become sophomores" 

not so sure there is a "sure thing" hire right now that some well established coach would say, yeah, i'm going to leave my fill in the blank warm(er) state for milwaukee wisconsin unless the money was just too good to be true.  MU isn't exactly in the best of financial conditions now and going forward.  unless they are looking at it from chicken/egg situation.  do we need to or can we rely on b-ball resurrect our school?
don't...don't don't don't don't

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #598 on: March 23, 2021, 04:05:51 PM »
I think Butler fans would drive Lavall Jordan back to Milwaukee if we showed a hint of interest.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #599 on: March 23, 2021, 04:41:43 PM »
i realize it would be incredible to lure mark few or lavall jordan away from their prospective schools, but "the best thing about freshman is they become sophomores"

Those are two wildly disparate names, in terms of career success  :o
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.