'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU coaching candidates  (Read 91587 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: MU coaching candidates
« Reply #550 on: March 21, 2021, 10:41:30 PM »
Funny that there are people on here suggesting you can’t be successful in a career while spending time on MUScoop. There is a lot of irony in posting that in MUScoop.

Was thinking the same thing.  We've had retired guys make fun of other retired guys on here, for not being as "successfully" retired.  Whatever.  Life your best life people.  Hopefully that doesn't mean you have to try to tear down other people's lives.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #551 on: March 21, 2021, 10:43:28 PM »
There is more to Lenny’s comment than the time spent on here by Fluff.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #552 on: March 21, 2021, 11:24:53 PM »
Would love to see MU make a run at Jeff Van Gundy
No.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #553 on: March 21, 2021, 11:42:43 PM »
DePaul...Sleeping Giant...HAHAHAHAHA
They Are Rip Van Winkle

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #554 on: March 21, 2021, 11:45:54 PM »
Funny that there are people on here suggesting you can’t be successful in a career while spending time on MUScoop. There is a lot of irony in posting that in MUScoop.

Chico disproved that (according to him)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #555 on: March 22, 2021, 07:10:00 AM »
Fluff

Didn’t know you were in sales, thought you worked for a college/university. Anyway, what would be a bigger waste of time for a salesman - making a phone call to a big fish who will likely turn you down or spending a couple of hours every workday BSing with guys on a message board? Asking for a friend.

Not all can be amazingly productive like me.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #556 on: March 22, 2021, 09:01:54 AM »
In a perfect world, Marquette would be hiring in a year when they are the biggest/best opening out there.

There is no escaping the fact that many still consider Indiana a top 5-6 job...but I think that the job has lost a quite a bit of its luster. There was a time that nobody would doubt that a coach would choose IU over MU. That might still be true, but I'm not convinced. But, it's a really attractive job and I'd think they will be in the running for any coach they offer.

I think the two other biggest openings right now are Minnesota and Utah. Any opening in either B10 or P12 is going to be an attractive opening with a lot of resources. I think Minnesota is clearly the better opening. In my (biased) opinion, Marquette is a better job than either of those...but maybe it's close with Minnesota.

I'm guardedly optimistic that Marquette won't lose its top choice to another D1 program. Fingers crossed.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #557 on: March 22, 2021, 09:12:15 AM »
In a perfect world, Marquette would be hiring in a year when they are the biggest/best opening out there.

There is no escaping the fact that many still consider Indiana a top 5-6 job...but I think that the job has lost a quite a bit of its luster. There was a time that nobody would doubt that a coach would choose IU over MU. That might still be true, but I'm not convinced. But, it's a really attractive job and I'd think they will be in the running for any coach they offer.

I think the two other biggest openings right now are Minnesota and Utah. Any opening in either B10 or P12 is going to be an attractive opening with a lot of resources. I think Minnesota is clearly the better opening. In my (biased) opinion, Marquette is a better job than either of those...but maybe it's close with Minnesota.

I'm guardedly optimistic that Marquette won't lose its top choice to another D1 program. Fingers crossed.

Also, I can't image the Final Four or fired norm at Indiana is very appealing.

burger

• All American
« Reply #558 on: March 22, 2021, 09:13:58 AM »

It won't......

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #559 on: March 22, 2021, 09:15:18 AM »
I think there’s an opportunity to win quicker in the Big East. If you lined up the coaches in the Big Ten against the Big East, it’s pretty clear which conference has the deeper coaching bench.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #560 on: March 22, 2021, 09:18:49 AM »
It won't......

Care to expand your thinking?

And for the record, I should clarify that I meant would not lose their top pick to another D1 opening. This is, of course, different than saying they'll get their top pick. If someone elects not to leave a current position (or leaves for an NBA job), that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people willing to leave their current position for a D1 job.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #561 on: March 22, 2021, 09:54:19 AM »
Yep, but progress and change begins with the 1st steps.

Things are changing at DePaul. Beyond the obvious (JLP leaving), there's seems to be a commitment to ensure that the program has the resources necessary to compete.

Since last spring, they have been making the right moves. They took heat by extending out Leitao last year, but that was a smart play to ensure he had no buyout this spring. Plus, it gave time to move on from JLP, hire a new AD and allow him to get settled a bit prior to the coaching search.

The hole is deep though. A lot of work for both the new coach and AD to do. Will be interesting to see who they hire.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #562 on: March 22, 2021, 10:08:22 AM »
Things are changing at DePaul. Beyond the obvious (JLP leaving), there's seems to be a commitment to ensure that the program has the resources necessary to compete.

Since last spring, they have been making the right moves. They took heat by extending out Leitao last year, but that was a smart play to ensure he had no buyout this spring. Plus, it gave time to move on from JLP, hire a new AD and allow him to get settled a bit prior to the coaching search.

The hole is deep though. A lot of work for both the new coach and AD to do. Will be interesting to see who they hire.

Thanks, seems like their starting to try turning this lumbering Ocean Liner around.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #563 on: March 22, 2021, 10:17:52 AM »
Thanks, seems like their starting to try turning this lumbering Ocean Liner around.

Yeah, it won't be easy. But, hire the right coach and support the program, it can happen. See Rutgers.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #564 on: March 22, 2021, 10:32:05 AM »
Yeah, it won't be easy. But, hire the right coach and support the program, it can happen. See Rutgers.

Yes, like most plans its not too complicated, if Execution and mostly smart decisions making are  in place.  Interesting times ahead.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #565 on: March 22, 2021, 10:33:24 AM »
Catching up on all of this after the weekend, and I'm surprised people think Moser would get no attention if not for the Final Four run. He's been top 2 for 4 years running in a solid mid-major conference. Obviously the FF and yesterday's win are a huge bump, but there'd still be talk of him in multiple searches.

I don't know if he's the best pick, but I don't think he'd be bad.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #566 on: March 22, 2021, 10:34:40 AM »
I had little interest in Moser before this year but now that I've seen him replicate his success I'm all in if he's the next coach.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #567 on: March 22, 2021, 10:40:58 AM »

Agreed. Everyone who supports Shaka seems to think we could make him switch back to his VCU style, but I am not sure that would happen. His Texas teams were always talented but looked pretty disorganized. When they won, it was often because they simply had superior talent.

If we could get an ironclad guarantee that he would return to his stylistic routes, I would be more open to him.
It is a lot easier to get guys who do not think they are destined to be multi-millionaire basketball players to buy into your successful college style than it is top recruits whose main goal is the NBA.  Goes for Smart and Moser.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #568 on: March 22, 2021, 10:54:17 AM »
I had little interest in Moser before this year but now that I've seen him replicate his success I'm all in if he's the next coach.

Same. I'll freely admit I thought the FF run was a fluke. But watching a bunch of Loyola's regular season games of theirs this year, juxtaposed against our haphazard approach to the game, I was floored by what he was getting out of his team. Just beautiful basketball. Ain't a fluke. The guy is the goods.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #569 on: March 22, 2021, 11:06:35 AM »
Same. I'll freely admit I thought the FF run was a fluke. But watching a bunch of Loyola's regular season games of theirs this year, juxtaposed against our haphazard approach to the game, I was floored by what he was getting out of his team. Just beautiful basketball. Ain't a fluke. The guy is the goods.

I was really impressed with Loyola yesterday. Everyone on the floor seemed to know what their role was and how to execute the gameplan. Also, seeing how they could compete against guys who were clearly more athletically gifted by doing all the little things right was fun to watch. I would love to see that kind of basketball here at MU. 

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #570 on: March 22, 2021, 11:58:19 AM »
It is a lot easier to get guys who do not think they are destined to be multi-millionaire basketball players to buy into your successful college style than it is top recruits whose main goal is the NBA.  Goes for Smart and Moser.

Seems like this is common-sense, but you'd probably have to go pretty far down that top 100 (200) recruit list to find someone who doesn't have a main goal of the NBA.  Then you run into the issue of having quite a few top programs with the same premise (VA, Wisconsin, etc...) and competing against them. In reality, your asking most players to take a back seat until they've figured out the system enough that it's second nature (JRs/Srs).  I'm all for Moser, but really there is a ceiling to level of recruit you can expect with him or he caves and starts sacrificing some of his principles. 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #571 on: March 22, 2021, 01:05:42 PM »

Agree completely (except the fluke comment). Anyone else who is willing to admit that, at one point during the game, he imagined Loyola's players in Marquette unis? I did. I thought "that could be us". Maybe it will be if we get Moser.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #572 on: March 22, 2021, 01:34:34 PM »
Agree completely (except the fluke comment). Anyone else who is willing to admit that, at one point during the game, he imagined Loyola's players in Marquette unis? I did. I thought "that could be us". Maybe it will be if we get Moser.

Yep. Even if Moser couldn't recruit quite the same level of talent to MU as we're used to, it would make for a very entertaining brand of basketball.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #573 on: March 22, 2021, 01:41:54 PM »
Seems like this is common-sense, but you'd probably have to go pretty far down that top 100 (200) recruit list to find someone who doesn't have a main goal of the NBA.  Then you run into the issue of having quite a few top programs with the same premise (VA, Wisconsin, etc...) and competing against them. In reality, your asking most players to take a back seat until they've figured out the system enough that it's second nature (JRs/Srs).  I'm all for Moser, but really there is a ceiling to level of recruit you can expect with him or he caves and starts sacrificing some of his principles.

The ceiling would be no different than what it has been the last 7 years.  Only difference is the team would be better coached by far.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #574 on: March 22, 2021, 01:47:38 PM »
The ceiling would be no different than what it has been the last 7 years.  Only difference is the team would be better coached by far.

I’d like to think we wouldn’t have to hold our collective breath every time we need to inbound the ball under the basket.

feedback