Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Word is swirling : wojo is gone  (Read 73065 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Word is swirling : wojo is gone
« Reply #400 on: March 17, 2021, 10:02:57 AM »
Those first two years ended with a NCAA bid.  Last year was incomplete.  Yeah, straw and camel's back.

Not sure if ya mean 17-18... but that season ended with an nit. 18-19 went from a 2 seed to a 5 seed one and done. 19-20 would have been very similar but an even lower seed.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #401 on: March 17, 2021, 10:04:29 AM »
Not sure if ya mean 17-18... but that season ended with an nit. 18-19 went from a 2 seed to a 5 seed one and done. 19-20 would have been very similar but an even lower seed.

Pretty sure we weren't a 2 seed. We were the top 3 seed and when the losing streak started the teams that we needed to lose to get a two seed started losing as well. So it was more "we would've been a 2 seed" than "we were a 2 seed"
Maigh Eo for Sam

Viper

• All American
« Reply #402 on: March 17, 2021, 10:08:26 AM »

First thin', ya gotta bee able ta correctly pronounce da recruit's name and no watt da hell yur doin' heer, aina?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #403 on: March 17, 2021, 10:10:25 AM »

Lennys said the previous two seasons.  I was referring to the previous two seasons.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Viper

• All American
« Reply #404 on: March 17, 2021, 10:10:50 AM »
At his age, never a sure thing.
badabing

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #405 on: March 17, 2021, 10:17:58 AM »
I would think it’s helped that the main top candidates haven’t been hired yet. At least from a list of Gates, Moser, Craig Smith. That may give some breathing room. Although with Minnesota and Utah opening up, we might be starting to have competition for our would be too candidates.

I suppose until teams start getting knocked out of the tourney, the coaching searches won’t be heating up.

You might be right. It has been a long time since MU hired an established coach though.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #406 on: March 17, 2021, 10:19:20 AM »
Pretty sure we weren't a 2 seed. We were the top 3 seed and when the losing streak started the teams that we needed to lose to get a two seed started losing as well. So it was more "we would've been a 2 seed" than "we were a 2 seed"

Marquette was #9 when the streak started. Had they won a majority of those games, they were a 2 seed.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #407 on: March 17, 2021, 10:21:39 AM »
My offline MU community wants Wojo gone, just as much as this online community. 

Alums from the '60s, '70s, '80s & '90s and beyond.  Their attitudes mirror this board; everyone wants him gone; the debate is whether MU pulls the plug this year or next. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #408 on: March 17, 2021, 10:25:13 AM »
Marquette was #9 when the streak started. Had they won a majority of those games, they were a 2 seed.

Isn't this literally what I just wrote? I'm just correcting that we weren't a 2 seed when it started. By the time that everything fell into place that we would've been, we had already started losing like crazy.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #409 on: March 17, 2021, 10:30:36 AM »
I’m with you, but the third time in three years with a collapse was nail in the coffin for a lot of those on the fence.

Your math is wrong.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #410 on: March 17, 2021, 10:31:18 AM »
My offline MU community wants Wojo gone, just as much as this online community. 

Alums from the '60s, '70s, '80s & '90s and beyond.  Their attitudes mirror this board; everyone wants him gone; the debate is whether MU pulls the plug this year or next.

I think the offline community was done with Wojo before the online community to be honest. Just based on comments in passing at the FF or friends who don’t follow the program that closely.

I think the online fans saw some potential in the future recruiting classes and the offensive efficiency.

panda

• All American
« Reply #411 on: March 17, 2021, 10:36:35 AM »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #412 on: March 17, 2021, 10:42:49 AM »
I think the offline community was done with Wojo before the online community to be honest. Just based on comments in passing at the FF or friends who don’t follow the program that closely.

I think the online fans saw some potential in the future recruiting classes and the offensive efficiency.

I agree.

Also, I find the MU foot dragging and indecision incredible if true.  Shyt or or get off the pot with this transfer market heating up...or the good coaches with the good coaches snapped up. MU Admin is <again> quagmired it appears.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #413 on: March 17, 2021, 10:58:57 AM »
Isn't this literally what I just wrote? I'm just correcting that we weren't a 2 seed when it started. By the time that everything fell into place that we would've been, we had already started losing like crazy.

Yup. I had us at #10 on my S-Curve when it started. There was a definite path to a two, but we weren't there yet.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #414 on: March 17, 2021, 11:02:29 AM »
When we woke up on Wednesday, Feb. 27, 2019, Marquette was 23-4. We were ranked No. 9 in the nation. We had won our previous 4 games, 12 of our previous 13, and 20 of our previous 22. Markus and Sam were studs, and we were getting solid contributions from several role players. We were locks for our second NCAA tournament in 3 years, and national talking heads were saying we were a sure 3-seed with a very realistic shot at being a 2.

We were 12-2 in the Big East. Villanova was 11-4; after a 10-0 start, they were 1-4 in a stretch that began with a loss to Marquette. If we beat Villanova again that night, we would have all but clinched the regular-season conference title.

I did not write all of that to make any claim about what has transpired since -- the 2019 collapse, the humiliation against Ja, Hausershima, the 2020 collapse, this pathetic season, the embarrassment against GTown. Other than a few moments of (false) hope, these last 2 years and 20-ish days have blown bigly. I thought Wojo should have been sent packing an hour after the DePaul loss. I want him gone.

But the narrative some have that it's been a 7-year suck and that only a few idiots thought the program was progressing well under Wojo ... please.

We can now return to our regularly scheduled program, Rick Pitino, Come On Down (insert own pun).

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #415 on: March 17, 2021, 11:05:47 AM »
Indeed, what were we, preseason #2 before the Hausers left? Wojo has got to go, it's just a matter of when, but there was some real optimism for a while.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #416 on: March 17, 2021, 11:06:35 AM »
When we woke up on Wednesday, Feb. 27, 2019, Marquette was 23-4. We were ranked No. 9 in the nation. We had won our previous 4 games, 12 of our previous 13, and 20 of our previous 22. Markus and Sam were studs, and we were getting solid contributions from several role players. We were locks for our second NCAA tournament in 3 years, and national talking heads were saying we were a sure 3-seed with a very realistic shot at being a 2.

We were 12-2 in the Big East. Villanova was 11-4; after a 10-0 start, they were 1-4 in a stretch that began with a loss to Marquette. If we beat Villanova again that night, we would have all but clinched the regular-season conference title.

I did not write all of that to make any claim about what has transpired since -- the 2019 collapse, the humiliation against Ja, Hausershima, the 2020 collapse, this pathetic season, the embarrassment against GTown. Other than a few moments of (false) hope, these last 2 years and 20-ish days have blown bigly. I thought Wojo should have been sent packing an hour after the DePaul loss. I want him gone.

But the narrative some have that it's been a 7-year suck and that only a few idiots thought the program was progressing well under Wojo ... please.

We can now return to our regularly scheduled program, Rick Pitino, Come On Down (insert own pun).
For your listening pleasure...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13tnjh3dZw4
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #417 on: March 17, 2021, 11:09:40 AM »
Indeed, what were we, preseason #2 before the Hausers left? Wojo has got to go, it's just a matter of when, but there was some real optimism for a while few weeks.

FIFY

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #418 on: March 17, 2021, 11:14:26 AM »

Why just Pitino? Let's go get Sean Miller. Proven success at Xavier and Arizona, he's younger and will be at MU longer. And, he's sex scandal(s) free!

And Will Wade. He'd be good too. 4 NCAA tournaments (would have been in last year too), two conference titles, and a career 67% winning percentage. Let's make him a big ass offer. And he didn't run a brothel on campus.

Come on, MU, we though we sold our soul with Buzz, let's go even further and get this program shut down!
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #419 on: March 17, 2021, 11:30:43 AM »

Had we won that game, we would've been 13-2, 'Nova would've been 11-5, and we would've had the tiebreaker with the season sweep. That would've clinched the title.

But as you note, it's the since then that's the problem. 16-25 in Big East play. 1-4 in postseason games with the only win over kenpom #88 St. John's. Three separate stretches of 6 losses in 7 games. Clearly not good.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #420 on: March 17, 2021, 11:54:21 AM »

Your facts on the '18-'19 season are correct, but I do think a tad misleading. IMO, our collapse probably brought our overall record to where it should have been for the season. They were not as good as there record showed on 2/27 and not as bad as they ended the season. Looking back on that season they were better than I gave them credit for at the time and probably were a top 30-35 team that year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #421 on: March 17, 2021, 12:10:17 PM »

Your facts on the '18-'19 season are correct, but I do think a tad misleading. IMO, our collapse probably brought our overall record to where it should have been for the season. They were not as good as there record showed on 2/27 and not as bad as they ended the season. Looking back on that season they were better than I gave them credit for at the time and probably were a top 30-35 team that year.

Understood, Goose. There was a ton of optimism, as there should have been. Even many of those who had doubted Wojo were excited about that season.

Unfortunately, as brew says ...

it's the since then that's the problem. 16-25 in Big East play. 1-4 in postseason games with the only win over kenpom #88 St. John's. Three separate stretches of 6 losses in 7 games. Clearly not good.

Total suckage.

Oh, and thanks for the correction on a win over Nova clinching the title. That just makes it even tougher to take. We had that game, and a few others down the stretch, but blew 'em.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #422 on: March 17, 2021, 12:12:45 PM »
No "For Sale" signs dis mornin', hey?

More importantly "off market" on redfin.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #423 on: March 17, 2021, 12:15:29 PM »

Exactly. Many folks don't want for-sale signs in their yards, especially well-known folks.

But it's gonna happen, rocky. The donors are getting their $$$$ lined up even as we speak.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #424 on: March 17, 2021, 12:16:48 PM »

If it’s anything like a few years ago, if you’re waiting for it on Redfin, it’s already sold. I figure 4Ever has some ins with the high end real estate market that he’ll get a heads up before anyone else.

feedback