Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Word is swirling : wojo is gone  (Read 73112 times)

panda

• All American
Re: Word is swirling : wojo is gone
« Reply #250 on: March 16, 2021, 04:36:13 PM »
UNFORTUNATELY, this has NOT been a good year for men’s basketball at Marquette.

After a very disappointing season, rumors are now swirling around that Wojo will NOT be coaching Marquette basketball next year.  His top assistant has already left (announced yesterday)…and that could just be the tip of the iceberg. There’s some speculation that former Louisville coach, Rick Patino, may be one of the candidates to replace Wojo. However, although Patino is a proven winner and great coach, his “past transgressions” may be way too much for Marquette to overlook.

Just think back…a little over three years ago the Marquette fan base was on top of the world. Ranked among the top ten teams in the country, the Golden Eagles looked like a sure lock to finish first in a tough Big East Conference. Then, the wheels fell off the MU bus. The team literally fell apart, losing 6 of their final seven games. When that disappointing season ended, two of their best players, the Houser brothers, transferred.

The 2019-20 season was a repeat. The Golden Eagles got off to a good start, then went into a tailspin, winning only one of their seven remaining games. This basketball season has been even worse with MU finishing near the bottom of the Big East…then getting blown out 68-49 by Georgetown in the Big East Tournament.

Although Wojo appears to run a “clean program” and is a good recruiter, he’s shown to be a poor game coach who fails to get the most out of his talented players. As a loyal and long-time Marquette fan, I believe it’s now time for a change. Marquette needs to hire a head coach that is capable of returning men’s basketball to its “glory days”. Then again, the MU Administration may just decide to play it safe and give Wojo yet another year to try and right his sinking ship!

Hate to be that guy but it really bugs me *Pitino

Warriors88

• Walk-On
« Reply #251 on: March 16, 2021, 04:36:53 PM »
This vague rumor mill will get me excited for inevitable disappointment just as effectively as the Wilson to Bears rumors.  An 8th year for Wojo and Andy Dalton leading the 2021 Bears to 6-10.  Huzzah!

Your nightmare scenario is coming to fruition. 

Dalton signs with Bears - $10m to be a crappy QB in long line of crappy QB's

Viper

• All American
« Reply #252 on: March 16, 2021, 04:37:37 PM »
This is the happiest I’ve seen scoop in probably a couple years. 

It’s a welcome sight. 

Maybe WithoutBIAS, Wades, Fluff and I can all meet up and have drinks sometime.  ;D
a beer with BLM and Fluffy? I want in on that! 😀

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #253 on: March 16, 2021, 04:44:42 PM »
Biden is 78.
With the mind of a 98.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #254 on: March 16, 2021, 04:44:48 PM »
Your nightmare scenario is coming to fruition. 

Dalton signs with Bears - $10m to be a crappy QB in long line of crappy QB's

I thought this was a joke.  Good freaking grief..... smh.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #255 on: March 16, 2021, 04:46:21 PM »
rumors are now swirling around that Wojo will NOT be coaching Marquette basketball next year.  His top assistant has already left (announced yesterday)…and that could just be the tip of the iceberg. There’s some speculation that former Louisville coach, Rick Patino, may be one of the candidates to replace Wojo.

Wait, this joke of a thread got you to register, and regurgitate the wildest parts of the thread?  I must have missed the sarcasm.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #256 on: March 16, 2021, 04:46:57 PM »
With the mind of a 98.
That is an A.  On a 1-100 grading scale.   We agree.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #257 on: March 16, 2021, 04:51:35 PM »

I thought the 98 reference was to MU's NET?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #258 on: March 16, 2021, 04:53:09 PM »
Marquette will hire the Ghost of Bob Dukiet before we hire Rick Pitino.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #259 on: March 16, 2021, 04:55:53 PM »
Yessir ... all this thread needed to get even funner was an injection of politics.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #260 on: March 16, 2021, 05:01:01 PM »
If deep pocketed Indiana boosters could pay to get rid of Archie, deep pocketed Marquette boosters can pay to get rid of Wojo.  Maybe the alum and boosters just don’t take Marquette basketball as serious as they do in Indiana

You are assuming the people that would be accepting money from the boosters want Wojo gone. Not sure that’s the case.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #261 on: March 16, 2021, 05:04:14 PM »
Can anyone confirm Billy Donovan was spotted at Caff's with admin? I heard Calipari is coming later this week, but I figured that was fake news.
Donovan was at Goolsbys with Allie McGuire.
Plausible deniability, of course.

joparks

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #262 on: March 16, 2021, 05:04:20 PM »
Marquette is in this position because of their own making.  Throw Covid out, everything else being the same, some fool decided to give Wojo a contract extension complete with a pricey buyout after the 2018-19 season where the team disintegrated down the stretch and may have been over-rated going into that fateful decline.  Someone valued it more than what it really was and now we have to cut off our arm to get out of the handcuffs that extension has placed on the school.  It's easy to say Covid has an impact and it does to an extent.  However, we were destined to be in this situation no matter what the day they extended him so we were going to have to cut him a check no matter what.  The only difference is that Covid has made it difficult to pony up the funds.

It's hard to expect the guy whose lack of game coaching that's primarily responsible for our current state is suddenly going to be able to right the ship and fix it when he has never done such a thing.  As of right now, Wojo's career coaching accomplishments amount to grinding a program into the ground.  Wojo wasn't a good hire in the beginning, once they pulled the trigger on him, they were pretty much stuck seeing if it would amount to anything.  After year 5, it was evident, but the school doubled down on a poor hire then and here we are.  Hoping and praying instead of being in control of our destiny. 

Many people will say they had to do what they did in May 2019.  They didn't have to do anything.  In fact that was one instance where doing nothing would have been better than doing anything.  However in March 2021, because the school did something in May 2019, They actually need to do something now.  Doing nothing now would likely be far worse than doing something.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #263 on: March 16, 2021, 05:14:23 PM »
How have we gotten this far without mentioning Joe Chapman?

No other coach of MU players in the past 45 years has coached and won a championship game like he has. 

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #264 on: March 16, 2021, 05:15:29 PM »
How have we gotten this far without mentioning Joe Chapman?

No other coach of MU players in the past 45 years has coached and won a championship game like he has.
You missed the post from the source at Home Depot
No Finish Line

EnderWiggen

• Team Captain
« Reply #265 on: March 16, 2021, 05:17:04 PM »
Yessir ... all this thread needed to get even funner was an injection of politics.

It's not a true Scoop thread until some boomer starts ranting fox news talking points.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #266 on: March 16, 2021, 05:21:06 PM »
My sources at Home Depot here in Fort Myers say Wojo is out and Joe Chapman is in. You heard it here first.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #267 on: March 16, 2021, 05:27:10 PM »
My sources at Home Depot here in Fort Myers say Wojo is out and Joe Chapman is in. You heard it here first.

Beilein would be my first choice. But Would be alright with 2003 One Shining Moment MU Video Star and TBT Champion Coach Joe Chapman too.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 05:31:54 PM by MarquetteMike1977 »

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #268 on: March 16, 2021, 05:34:33 PM »
When can we bring back #DoneDeal?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #269 on: March 16, 2021, 05:38:45 PM »
Live look-in at MU admin asking alums for $:

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #270 on: March 16, 2021, 05:39:09 PM »
When can we bring back #DoneDeal?

Only when we make a run at Shaka, which oddly enough may be the one of the least implausible rumors in this thread.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #271 on: March 16, 2021, 05:49:01 PM »

98 year old.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #272 on: March 16, 2021, 05:50:14 PM »
Beilein would be my first choice. But Would be alright with 2003 One Shining Moment MU Video Star and TBT Champion Coach Joe Chapman too.

Beilein would be my first choice. Thoughts or has anyone mentioned Craig Smith from Utah State or Porter Moser from Loyola if MU threw enough many at him. Although Crean while at MU did defeat Moser when he was at Illinois State haha

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #273 on: March 16, 2021, 05:51:01 PM »

Your first choice is a future HOF coach who made a title game and took multiple schools past the S16 but you’d also be fine with an AAU coach who has never even coached a HS squad because he was the coach of a team of experienced pro ballers in a tournament without a ton of actual BB structure?  :o

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #274 on: March 16, 2021, 05:53:21 PM »

Only when we make a run at Shaka, which oddly enough may be the one of the least implausible rumors in this thread.
Sidebar or tangent My friend did visit Shaka in his offices in Texas and Beilein in his offices in Michigan and came away more impressed with Beilein.