Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Word is swirling : wojo is gone  (Read 73013 times)

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: Word is swirling : wojo is gone
« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2021, 10:25:20 AM »
This is the thread I needed today
No Finish Line

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #126 on: March 16, 2021, 10:25:30 AM »
Because cheerios would be too precious?

You don't think they are trying to push a certain type of apple?

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #127 on: March 16, 2021, 10:29:00 AM »
I know that its a fine line because you can't scramble last minute to find a coach but I'm really in the camp that we should see where DJ/DG/Lewis are at before doing anything.

If those guys are all planning to comeback I think losing Wojo at this point is too extreme a risk. Unless you can really knock it out of the park.

What if you talked to those guys and they were interested in playing with Pat Baldwin Jr?

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #128 on: March 16, 2021, 10:29:48 AM »
I know that its a fine line because you can't scramble last minute to find a coach but I'm really in the camp that we should see where DJ/DG/Lewis are at before doing anything.

If those guys are all planning to comeback I think losing Wojo at this point is too extreme a risk. Unless you can really knock it out of the park.
There will ALWAYS be a player or two you don’t want to lose by firing a coach. It shouldn’t mean you don’t fire the coach if he’s underperforming.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #129 on: March 16, 2021, 10:32:14 AM »

No, no, a thousand times no.  You don't let a group of three players determine whether a coach stays.  What kind of message does that send to the kids you're asking, and to the other players on the team whose input didn't matter?  LeBron James can get coaches hired and fired.  But that will never happen at Marquette.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #130 on: March 16, 2021, 10:35:32 AM »
There will ALWAYS be a player or two you don’t want to lose by firing a coach. It shouldn’t mean you don’t fire the coach if he’s underperforming.

That's 3 players. Our 3 best ones.

And a key reason for "underperfroming" with this group is 3 of our players with a pulse were a frosh, frosh and basically frosh.

Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #131 on: March 16, 2021, 10:38:01 AM »

No.  You don't let the whim of 18-22 year olds dictate the strategic direction of your program.  If you've made the determination that your current coach is not the person you want to be the CEO of your basketball program, you fire him, hire someone else and let the chips fall.

The person that you are hiring will have the implicit trust to try and retain any players on the roster, or release them all and start over at their discretion.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #132 on: March 16, 2021, 10:38:08 AM »
There are plenty of people on this message board who dream about Kate Upton. So we can have a little fun dreaming about Pitino here in the off season too.

Just for informational purposes for those who are unfamiliar with Kate Upton.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #133 on: March 16, 2021, 10:40:09 AM »
No.  You don't let the whim of 18-22 year olds dictate the strategic direction of your program.

The whims of 18-22 year olds is the entire basis of college athletics.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #134 on: March 16, 2021, 10:40:14 AM »
This is the happiest I’ve seen scoop in probably a couple years. 

It’s a welcome sight. 

Maybe WithoutBIAS, Wades, Fluff and I can all meet up and have drinks sometime.  ;D

MU82

• All American
« Reply #135 on: March 16, 2021, 10:43:41 AM »

It’s a welcome sight. 

Maybe WithoutBIAS, Wades, Fluff and I can all meet up and have drinks sometime.  ;D

And you called it!!

Nice to know that The Evil One is 100% #donedeal dump-on-his-forehead gone gone gone!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

panda

• All American
« Reply #136 on: March 16, 2021, 10:43:46 AM »

It’s a welcome sight. 

Any new info BR?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #137 on: March 16, 2021, 10:46:12 AM »
Bad

I am enjoying the moment. He very well might be back next season, but I am enjoying the dream of happier days ahead.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #138 on: March 16, 2021, 10:47:12 AM »
Bad

I am enjoying the moment. He very well might be back next season, but I am enjoying the dream of happier days ahead.

Amen Goose.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #139 on: March 16, 2021, 10:49:17 AM »
Any new info BR?

No, sorry Panda.

Just hoping it works out, otherwise Wades, Bias and others are going to have a field day with me for making a trash claim.  Time will tell.  I still feel confident though and would bet on it.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #140 on: March 16, 2021, 10:51:48 AM »
The whims of 18-22 year olds is the entire basis of college athletics.

You're correct in the instance where the coach that the administration hires recruits them to be a part of the roster and they sign the NLI.  They should not be allowed to dictate the terms of retaining or hiring a new head coach.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #141 on: March 16, 2021, 10:54:25 AM »
I still feel confident though and would bet on it.

I’ve been in a betting slump. I should bet you just to make sure it happens!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #142 on: March 16, 2021, 10:55:06 AM »
This thread has turned into a victory lap...but with no victory. Not even a pyrrhic one.

Alright then.

Let's also celebrate singing Pat Baldwin Jr. and Chet Holmgren!
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #143 on: March 16, 2021, 10:56:01 AM »
Wojo to UNLV.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #144 on: March 16, 2021, 11:03:19 AM »
I remember when an alum told me John Calipari was the first choice to replace Tom Crean.  He believed that was who  the administration was pursuing.  I was told he was an outlier in alum circles.  I didn’t believe that and don’t believe that now.  There are going to be a lot of disappointed people either this spring or next spring.  I believe whoever replaces Wojo will be starting from behind in the minds of many
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #145 on: March 16, 2021, 11:04:34 AM »
This is all very entertaining.  None of it is real unless we hear from the ops manager in the It's Happening bunker.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #146 on: March 16, 2021, 11:09:23 AM »
If MU is considering moving on from Wojo, they're likely already working on lining up his replacement. They don't need to publicly announce anything to do that.

My guess is that if there's going to be a change - and that's a big IF, IMO - it would only happen if/when they're confident they've got their guy. They're not going to fire their coach and bumble through a weeks long  search and get publicly rejectedby a couple of targets, a la St. John's a couple of years ago.

Any competent organization (Not saying MU is one) would have a list of potential candidates ready before a coach leaves / is fired. If they are starting from scratch when/if Wojo leaves, the result will not be good. That is how you perpetuate incompetence at any organization.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #147 on: March 16, 2021, 11:09:45 AM »
A poster who only ever trolls started a thread saying Wojo is gone.  And we're celebrating Wojo's departure.  Even though there's nothing to suggest Wojo is, indeed, gone.

This place is going to go ballistic when Wojo is not fired, even though there was nothing besides a troll starting a thread to suggest he was gone.

The guy won the internet today.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2021, 11:10:50 AM »
Jesum Crow people. Pitino ran a brothel for his players. He will never be our coach.

I actually think it's worth mentioning a quote from Christian Dawkins: "Rick has no clue what’s going on at his school. Most of the bigger guys, they know..."

Clearly there were issues at Louisville. Clearly those things happened while Pitino was in charge. But it seems pretty clear from the quotes and from the punishments handed down by the NCAA (all of which Pitino has already served) that the problem was Rick hired assistants who had no problem with shady stuff and if he chose to do anything, it was to remain unaware of the problems. If a program like Marquette were to be more diligent in helping oversee the process he uses to pick assistants, perhaps requiring him to have a woman on staff (he was the first head coach to hire a female NCAA D1 assistant, Bernadette Mattox) and other assistants with clean reputations (perhaps requiring him to give Justin Gainey a look), there's no reason to think this isn't a place where he could rehabilitate his reputation. And considering our commitment to running a clean program, perhaps the best place to give him a shot at forgiveness and redemption.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2021, 11:12:27 AM »
A poster who only ever trolls started a thread saying Wojo is gone.  And we're celebrating Wojo's departure.  Even though there's nothing to suggest Wojo is, indeed, gone.

Yeah, I'd change the title of the thread.  But those too foolish to know the truth might as well have their moments of happiness.