[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2021 Transfer Portal  (Read 272209 times)

onepost

• All American
Re: 2021 Transfer Portal
« Reply #1125 on: April 29, 2021, 10:54:55 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTV0N7pIrEA

Here are his freshman year highlights.  I love this guy's game.  Definitely not the most athletic, but he can use his size to get around smaller defenders at PG.  And his vision is incredible, would be the best passer Marquette has had in a loooonnngggg time.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1126 on: April 29, 2021, 11:12:59 AM »

Here are his freshman year highlights.  I love this guy's game.  Definitely not the most athletic, but he can use his size to get around smaller defenders at PG.  And his vision is incredible, would be the best passer Marquette has had in a loooonnngggg time.
A very intriguing prospect, with size and passing skills. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1127 on: April 29, 2021, 11:56:36 AM »
Looks like Shaka is wasting no time:

Per Adam Zagoria, "Schools that have already reached out on former St. Joe's standout Jordan Hall, who averaged 10.6 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 5.7 apg.

Marquette
Nebraska
Minnesota
Ole Miss
DePaul
Texas A&M"

Only a freshman.  Shot 35% from 3 and 76% from the line. 6'8", 210.  Would be a heck of a response from losing DJ.

Had 6, 5, and 5 against Kansas in his 2nd career game.
Had 17, 6, and 6 against Villanova in his 4th career game.
Had a game with 12 rebounds, had a game with 11 assists, had a game with 3 steals.  Seems like he'd be an absolute home run.

Maybe there are other interested schools but if that's the list I'd feel like we have a really good shot.  At that size and with those numbers I'm surprised there aren't some other "name" programs recruiting him. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1128 on: April 29, 2021, 12:07:07 PM »
Give me Hall, Oquendo and Moresell and move forward with that roster.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #1129 on: April 29, 2021, 12:14:36 PM »

Yes a 6'7 scoring FR PG who very well could have been A10 rookie of the year? Could there be a better fit for Shaka and MU one day after DJ leaves? Makes you wonder about the timing of things (teal? maybe not?)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1130 on: April 29, 2021, 12:27:55 PM »
Interesting Quinnipiac player story that involves Buzz Williams and maybe the only player in the COVID extra year portal to transfer back to his previous team.
Buzz is legendary?

https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/nhregister/article/Jeff-Jacobs-From-Hamden-to-Texas-and-back-16137279.php?_ga=2.261241540.875382935.1619717046-812962984.1594303534

Quinnipiac’s Marfo is on the rebound
JEFF JACOBS

PHOTO
Peter Hvizdak / Hearst Connecticut Media
Quinnipiac’s Kevin Marfo hauls down a rebound during the first half against Fairfield in 2020.

When he left Quinnipiac last spring for Texas A&M, bachelor’s degree in hand, the nation’s leading rebounder figured he’d never pull on a Bobcats uniform again.

Who knew?

There are 1,400 stories in the world of the 2021 NCAA men’s basketball transfer portal. Kevin Marfo is one of the more compelling. Yes, #OneBadMarfo is back in town.

“I never expected myself to be back in Hamden, because I thought I only had one year left of college basketball,” Marfo said. “It’s going to be one of those weird, twilight things, where it’s like ‘Wow!’ I have to find a way to adjust back to find success on the court.”

It may be a little cheesy and more than a little cliché, but it’s true. Quinnipiac got Kevin Marfo on the rebound.

“This was an easy one for me,” Quinnipiac coach Baker Dunleavy said. “Kevin loves basketball. He loves to work. He loves to compete. That’s what makes him special. Those haven’t changed. I think he has a better appreciation that this place is pretty good, was pretty good to me, I have a better perspective on things.

“We do, too, especially me as coach, a better perspective on how much we appreciate what Kevin brought to the table. We can come back together on those terms, it’s a resounding positive.”

After pounding the glass harder than anyone in the nation, 13.3 rebounds a game in 2019-2020, Marfo wanted the challenge of a major conference. He picked Buzz Williams’ Aggies of the SEC. As a graduate transfer, Marfo didn’t perform as well as he wanted. In a COVID season, he missed the month of February with COVID.

“I was sick,” Marfo said. “A lot of body aches.”

With the NCAA giving everyone an extra year of eligibility, COVID also would give Marfo one more chance. He decided to return to Quinnipiac, where he scored 441 points and pulled in 586 rebounds in two seasons, including 17 double-doubles in 2019-2020.

“It was more of a situation of how crazy this year was, especially with COVID, and not really having a chance at a full season at A&M,” Marfo said. “It wasn’t a great year for me personally. A lot of things took its toll, obviously just the journey itself.

“I’ve done this recruiting thing way too often. I kind of got to the point where I’m going to go back to something familiar and just go from there. I don’t want to take a risk of going to a new place. I was kind of over that idea.”

Raised in New Jersey, the son of Ghanaian immigrants developed his game at Worcester Academy. It was Donovan Mitchell, now with the NBA’s Utah Jazz, an AAU teammate, who encouraged him to go the prep route. Boston College, Rhode Island and Providence recruited him. He picked George Washington, which had won the 2016 NIT. Only Mike Lonergan was fired as coach before Marfo played a game and he sought a transfer after his freshman season. Dunleavy, who had met Marfo at Worcester Academy when he was an assistant at Villa-nova, landed him.

Marfo had to sit out a transfer season in 2017-2018 … GW, sit, Quinnipiac, Texas A&M, Quinnipiac, yeah, Kevin Marfo’s over this recruiting thing.

“Given the environment of what’s going on, there’s going to be a learning curve anytime there’s a drastic change,” Dunleavy said. “Whether it’s any business or environment. This year’s there’s going to be a huge reaction and a lot of people going into that portal. Lessons will be learned by coaches, players, administrators on how to handle these situations the best. Learn from people’s experiences.

“Kevin played incredible basketball for us. He had a lot of opportunity out there. I said it last year when we lost him: We support our guys being able to explore their options. It’s not the same as it used to be. The traditionalists that long for the days of kids staying at the same place for 4-5 years — their motivation through thick and thin — it’s different now. The mindset is different.”

Marfo took advantage of his chance to complete his degree at Quinnipiac and become immediately eligible.

“The opportunity to play at a high level, an opportunity to get coached by a legendary coach like Buzz Williams, to become a better player and hopefully propel my career — that was the goal,” Marfo said. “I learned a lot more. It was a great experience. Anyone who has played for Buzz Williams knows that Buzz grinds you out. He really tests your mental on another level, more than any coach I’ve ever played for.

“It gave me a different perspective. It taught me a lot of things I’m going to be able to use at Quinnipiac. It helped propel my career in a good direction, just not in a direction that people who don’t know would understand.”

Marfo started eight of 17 games, averaging 12.8 minutes, 2.6 points and 3.7 rebounds. Modest numbers. Texas A&M, which lost all of February because of COVID, finished 8-10, including 2-8 in the SEC, and saw nine players enter the transfer portal.

“I didn’t play great,” said Marfo, who got on the floor 11 minutes in the two games after Jan. 31. “It was a lot of different things that didn’t go my way. I’m just going to take responsibility. I could have been better in some areas. At that level, you’ve got to win, and we weren’t winning a lot of games.”

Marfo, who is still hammering out his academic path for next year, said he wanted to finish his college career the right way. He hit reset.

Said Dunleavy, “If I only get one more year in this, where do I know I’ll be comfortable, happy, productive and fit? That was the mindset he took when we talked. The answer from Kevin is a resounding yes. Because that’s his motivation that has me excited, too.”

These days, coaches essentially are recruiting high school players, off other college rosters and their own players for the following season. It doesn’t pay for either side to burn bridges.

“There was never any animosity with Kevin,” Dunleavy said. “He was very professional and very respectful with the way he handled everything. There was never anything intended to be negative toward Quinnipiac. It was more exploring what was best for him. That’s how I chose to look at it. I understand every coach looks at it differently. I try to make a point to try not to take things personally in life. Sometimes it is personal. This was not. If it was this wouldn’t be happening.”

“There’s up and downs with any coach, but it was left in a respectful manner,” Marfo said. “It made the transition back easier. And I think it was a smooth process with the guys because of the relationship I had with all of them. I was in contact with almost every player on the team when I was at A&M. They all want the best for me. There’s a lot of hungry guys. They want to compete.”

Although Dunleavy has no committed freshmen for next year, he has added guard Dezi Jones from Moberly (Mo.) Area Community College. He returns all his major contributors, and everyone had the option to return. There are two open scholarships. It looks good that senior Jacob Rigoni, who led the Bobcats at 11.8 points and 6.3 rebounds, will return. Suddenly, there’s a lot of stability and promise on a team that finished 9-13.

Then again, when Marfo transferred to A&M and Rich Kelly to BC last spring, who would have guessed Kelly would now be at UMass and Marfo back at Quinnipiac. It’s a crazy college basketball world.

“My gosh, how much falls under that category?” Dunleavy said. “The pandemic, the pauses in the season, everybody getting another year. It’s a whirlwind. It’s testing everybody’s, players and coaches, ability to adapt.”

jeff.jacobs  @hearstmediact.com; @jeffjacobs123

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #1131 on: April 29, 2021, 12:32:50 PM »
6 assists per game from a 6'8" freshman?  Yes please.

Last 5 games had 3, 2, 6, 3 and 4 TOs. And came agains UMass, LaSalle, Richmond, Dayton and LaSalle. Richmond was the only decent team and he had 6. Just saying.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #1132 on: April 29, 2021, 12:37:17 PM »
Give me Hall, Oquendo and Moresell and move forward with that roster.

Getting all 3 would require someone other than Greg, Jose, and Dawson to leave. Ill take any 2/3 though.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1133 on: April 29, 2021, 01:33:28 PM »
Getting all 3 would require someone other than Greg, Jose, and Dawson to leave. Ill take any 2/3 though.

No, if Dawson, Jose and Greg all left, there would be 3 openings.  We're currently full at 13 including Dawson. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #1134 on: April 29, 2021, 05:37:40 PM »
Is Morsell really still in play? Looks like Turgeon's putting out that he'll be a pro.
If not so, he's be my prime suspect.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #1135 on: April 29, 2021, 05:54:17 PM »
Is Morsell really still in play? Looks like Turgeon's putting out that he'll be a pro.

Without question. He dominated us in Orlando scoring 17 points and 10 rebounds all while completely neutralizing the MU goat Howard (1/12 shooting, 4 TOs). Proven high major talent.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1136 on: April 29, 2021, 05:57:32 PM »

Turgeon seems to think Morsell is leaving Maryland to go pro. I think he's half right.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1137 on: April 29, 2021, 06:07:32 PM »

I think the rumors of him going pro are greatly exaggerated.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #1138 on: April 29, 2021, 06:17:46 PM »
I think the rumors of him going pro are greatly exaggerated.

He should spend a year here working on his jumper  ;D
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1139 on: April 29, 2021, 06:23:31 PM »
He should spend a year here working on his jumper  ;D

And his PG skills....
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1140 on: April 30, 2021, 07:30:12 PM »
https://twitter.com/336edits/status/1388183385684811778

336 Edits
@336edits
Louisiana transfer Mylik Wilson has told 336edits he’s heard from Georgia, Vanderbilt, Witchita St, Marquette, Creighton, Iowa State, Oklahoma, Wyoming, UAB, Mississippi State and SFA. Wilson averaged 12.9 points and 5.5 rebounds this past season for the Ragin' Cajuns.
@mylikw13

This one wouldn't excite me much. Put up good but not great numbers for a meh Rajin Cajuns squad....that being said....the one thing he's really good at is stealing the ball. Was top 50 in steal rate as a FR and top 70 as a SO. Shaka looking to put a premium on creating turnovers. Havocs back baby!

I also like that he averaged a block a game as 6'3 2G.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1141 on: May 01, 2021, 10:45:24 AM »
Luke Fizulich to transfer portal.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1142 on: May 01, 2021, 11:21:04 AM »
DeVante' Jones to Michigan, per Tipton Edits' Instagram.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #1143 on: May 03, 2021, 10:36:28 AM »
https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/1389235443808546821?s=20

Schools that have reached out to
@Cuse_MBB
 transfer Quincy Guerrier, who averaged 13.7 ppg and 8.4 rpg as a sophomore:

Alabama
Creighton
Marquette
Western Kentucky
Arizona State
Texas Tech
UGA

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1144 on: May 03, 2021, 10:41:32 AM »

@Cuse_MBB

Alabama
Creighton
Marquette
Western Kentucky
Arizona State
Texas Tech
UGA

Who knows when we reached out. If it is recent, that may indicate some pessimism regarding Garcia.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #1145 on: May 03, 2021, 10:47:04 AM »

@Cuse_MBB

Alabama
Creighton
Marquette
Western Kentucky
Arizona State
Texas Tech
UGA

A 6'7" guard who "led the Orange in rebounds last season and finished second in scoring, field goal percentage and blocked shots"? I'd be ok with that
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1146 on: May 03, 2021, 10:48:01 AM »
Would be a nice trade for Symir.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #1147 on: May 03, 2021, 10:51:28 AM »

@Cuse_MBB

Alabama
Creighton
Marquette
Western Kentucky
Arizona State
Texas Tech
UGA

Interesting name to the portal. Would be a nice addition for sure. Sounds like he needs work on the jumper, but is improving.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1148 on: May 03, 2021, 11:02:00 AM »
Who knows when we reached out. If it is recent, that may indicate some pessimism regarding Garcia.

I don't think you need a reason to reach out to a guy who was All-ACC last season
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1149 on: May 03, 2021, 11:03:36 AM »

I am assuming Garcia is gone. If he happens to return, I will consider it a wonderful surprise.

But this:

I don't think you need a reason to reach out to a guy who was All-ACC last season
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson