[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Marquette at North Carolina  (Read 17085 times)

Scoop Snoop

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Marquette at North Carolina
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2021, 08:54:32 AM »
Some here were unhappy about the win over Butler because was not a good enough opponent. Now they are unhappy that we are going to play UNC and risk getting beat badly. I do not expect the game to end well for Marquette but there is always the chance of an upset, even if it is slight. If we get blown out, there is partial cover from UNC's demolishing Lville 99-54 in their previous game.

The pluses are the slight chance of an upset, a break from what would have been a 10 day layoff, a chance for our team to play a blueblood (even if they are having a miserable year), and an opportunity for Wojo to get his name and face in front of the ACC. Hopefully we put up an effort good enough to attract the attention of Boston College.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2021, 09:01:31 AM »
Well, clearly I was wrong.  Hoping for a fun game Wednesday, and a few more wins before the end of the season.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2021, 09:04:38 AM »
As improbable as it may be, if Marquette goes 2-0 this week, they're right back in the bubble mix. Not on the right side, but in the conversation, and then favored in their last two games, most likely.

Going for it is the right thing to do, even if it'll most likely just add one to the L column.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2021, 09:18:47 AM »
I cannot think of a single downside for playing this game.

Great to not have a 10-day layoff. Great to play a quality opponent. Great to play a blueblood. Great for the kids to play in the Dean Dome. Great to have a chance at an upset that could give hope for an NCAA bid (although I'm still having trouble seeing it). Great to play basketball because that's what basketball players, coaches and teams are supposed to do.

And heck, even great for the Uber-NoJos who are rooting for us to get routed.

Even if somebody gets hurt ... that would suck, but guys get hurt at practice all the time. Would it be better if the injury didn't happen till Saturday at UConn? I mean, why ever play any games? Might as well end all college sports in America because players might get injured.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2021, 09:34:17 AM »
As improbable as it may be, if Marquette goes 2-0 this week, they're right back in the bubble mix. Not on the right side, but in the conversation, and then favored in their last two games, most likely.

Going for it is the right thing to do, even if it'll most likely just add one to the L column.

It certainly is a no lose situation.  You're far more in tune with the bubble this year and I, but I'd imagine Marquette would need to win out to at least the BET semis to have a chance at an at large bid.  15-13 at that point.  Highly doubt 14-14 does it. 

It would be nice to figure out a way to that Gtown game on the schedule just to add another likely W. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2021, 09:46:16 AM »

Yeah I mean, its not happening. But there is certainly no harm.

Playing UNC at least provides some sort of chance outside of a BET win.

And at the worst it lets us play against a Blue Blood. I am much more intrigued to watch us Wednesday night than I was last Wednesday against that awful Butler roster.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2021, 09:55:53 AM »

Maybe they are playing the game because they are a basketball team and they like to play basketball games.

I know.  Crazy right?

And North Carolina offered a game, and ESPN is likely making it worth our while to go out there, and Wojo knows what a special place Chapel Hill is and thinks it would be fun to experience during a sh*tty season.

Sometimes people overthink things.

100% agree.  Some are overthinking this. Great opportunity to play a team we normally don’t get to play.  If our team plays well I think we have a chance to win as well.  There is no downside to playing this game.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2021, 10:27:33 AM »
Mostly, I think the staff probably thinks they can win.

This.

I firmly believe Wojo thinks, despite evidence to the contrary in terms of the team's record, that he and his staff are doing a great job, and that any losing is just the result of injuries and bad luck.  You could see it in the tone and demeanor he took on in his post game press conference after the loss to Seton Hall when Ben Steele asked him about the three straight late season collapses.  He's not afraid for his job.  He's annoyed that people can't understand what he's trying to do, and don't see how successful MU has actually been despite all the bad luck and injuries and limitations on the types of players he can recruit because he's doing things the "right" way.

All that being said, I'm glad MU is playing this game.  It's fun.  During this Covid season, the possibility of impromptu games, where two major programs could just be like, "we both need a game, let's play," seemed really exciting.  In actuality, it barely happened, with most teams sticking to their schedules, or big schools playing lesser opponents if they needed a fill-in.  This is exactly the type of thing we all hoped could happen for MU when the season started.  Now that we have it, I have no complaints.  I'm looking forward to watching the game on Wednesday.  I expect MU to lose, but appreciate what they're doing.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2021, 10:34:13 AM »
It certainly is a no lose situation.  You're far more in tune with the bubble this year and I, but I'd imagine Marquette would need to win out to at least the BET semis to have a chance at an at large bid.  15-13 at that point.  Highly doubt 14-14 does it. 

It would be nice to figure out a way to that Gtown game on the schedule just to add another likely W.

I agree. I think winning at least one in the BET would get them close, though I'm always hesitant on how much winning games in conference tournaments means to the committee. They're at the have to win out and make a little noise at this point, but that's better than the absolute zero chance had they not beat Butler & added this game.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2021, 11:39:51 AM »
https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team/marquette-golden-eagles/bracketology

We are projected to finish 12-15, with a 0.3% prediction of making an at-large bid.  We have a greater chance of winning the BET at 1.8%.  Combined, MU has a 2.1% chance of going dancing this year.  Teams need 18 wins to be safely in.  17 or less and it gets dicey.  15 wins just isn’t enough based on the projections.  Might get to 13-16 if we win first game of the BET.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2021, 11:42:44 AM »
https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team/marquette-golden-eagles/bracketology

We are projected to finish 12-15, with a 0.3% prediction of making an at-large bid.  We have a greater chance of winning the BET at 1.8%.  Combined, MU has a 2.1% chance of going dancing this year.  Teams need 18 wins to be safely in.  17 or less and it gets dicey.  15 wins just isn’t enough based on the projections.  Might get to 13-16 if we win first game of the BET.

So you're saying there's a chance
Maigh Eo for Sam

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2021, 11:43:04 AM »
Some here were unhappy about the win over Butler because was not a good enough opponent. Now they are unhappy that we are going to play UNC and risk getting beat badly. I do not expect the game to end well for Marquette but there is always the chance of an upset, even if it is slight. If we get blown out, there is partial cover from UNC's demolishing Lville 99-54 in their previous game.

The pluses are the slight chance of an upset, a break from what would have been a 10 day layoff, a chance for our team to play a blueblood (even if they are having a miserable year), and an opportunity for Wojo to get his name and face in front of the ACC. Hopefully we put up an effort good enough to attract the attention of Boston College.

We're unhappy because the program sucks after 7 years of mediocrity and no light at the end of the tunnel that I can see. However I will still cheer the team on despite our pathetic circumstances.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2021, 11:49:05 AM »

No one is saying it's likely, but if they get to 17-13, they would be a virtual lock to get in. 16-13 might be enough. Considering that 18 would be a Big East title, that would obviously be enough to be "safely in."  ;D ;D

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2021, 12:27:18 PM »
We're unhappy because the program sucks after 7 years of mediocrity and no light at the end of the tunnel that I can see. However I will still cheer the team on despite our pathetic circumstances.

I agree with you for the most part but specifically I was addressing the BS regarding complaining about the Butler win (would they have been happier if we lost?) and the knee jerk criticism for scheduling the UNC game. I never liked the Wojo hire from the very beginning but was very happily wrong for about 80% of the '18-'19 season. That's the reason I agree with you only "for the most part". We probably were at some of the very same games back in the day at the Milwaukee Arena. I get your frustration. Let's hope Wojo leaves on his own and we get back to really good basketball. Expecting a return to Al level may never happen again but we can do a whole lot better than this. 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

BaltimoreMC

• Starter
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2021, 12:36:51 PM »
Don't you think that this is two Jordan Brand schools in needs of wins helping each other out?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2021, 12:39:03 PM »
Don't you think that this is two Jordan Brand schools in needs of wins helping each other out?

That's not a bad thought. Wonder if they were a conduit somehow? ESPN had to be a willing partner, but still.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2021, 12:58:18 PM »
It costs MU about 50K to go to NC, I have to believe in these times that they will get at least that much to show up, thoughts?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2021, 01:18:43 PM »

Maybe they are playing the game because they are a basketball team and they like to play basketball games.

I know.  Crazy right?

And North Carolina offered a game, and ESPN is likely making it worth our while to go out there, and Wojo knows what a special place Chapel Hill is and thinks it would be fun to experience during a sh*tty season.

Sometimes people overthink things.

Yep. Even if we don't make a dime and it doesn't help us get a bid, there are very good reasons to play the game.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2021, 01:39:38 PM »

I dont really think number of wins is really going to a benchmark this year with so many teams having played different amounts of games due to pauses/cancellations/etc. 

But point remains, best case scenario MU wins out to BET final and that is 17-13.  They are almost certainly going to get in as one of the hottest teams in the country in that scneerio.  Obviously there is really no chance that happens. 

But 16-13 or 16-14 and maybe they still got a chance at one of the last few teams in. But its all a pipe dream and when we go 0-2 this week we'll be right back to reality.   
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2021, 01:45:14 PM »

That's not a bad thought. Wonder if they were a conduit somehow? ESPN had to be a willing partner, but still.
Bill Scholl and Bubba Cunningham (UNC AD) are close friends. Roy wanted a home game. Scholl has been trying to get a game with UNC for several years. Bubba reached out to his old friend Scholl and now we have the game.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2021, 02:02:56 PM »
Besides Theo's FT's and a few earlier season dubs, scheduling this UNC game is one of the more recent season highlights for MUBB. I think we can all agree this is a good, fun, thing, win or lose. Let's throw it up and get a dub.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2021, 03:24:07 PM »
Bill Scholl and Bubba Cunningham (UNC AD) are close friends. Roy wanted a home game. Scholl has been trying to get a game with UNC for several years. Bubba reached out to his old friend Scholl and now we have the game.

It's a nice theory Herman, but I'm pretty sure this was MU's idea, not UNC's.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2021, 04:13:43 PM »
It's a nice theory Herman, but I'm pretty sure this was MU's idea, not UNC's.
Here is the article where Roy describes his desire for getting some non conference home games.

https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Article/UNC-basketball-marquette-schedule-game-161217330/
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2021, 04:55:22 PM »
Here is the article where Roy describes his desire for getting some non conference home games.

https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Article/UNC-basketball-marquette-schedule-game-161217330/

So you read an article that indicated UNC was open to adding games and wrote a fan fiction about it? Pretty sure I'd trust TAMU here.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2021, 06:28:47 PM »
100% agree.  Some are overthinking this. Great opportunity to play a team we normally don’t get to play.  If our team plays well I think we have a chance to win as well.  There is no downside to playing this game.

Without Lewis, I do not see how MU can win this one.

feedback