[Today at 05:56:07 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Player Grades this year?  (Read 5291 times)

vogue65

• All American
Re: Player Grades this year?
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2021, 10:48:20 AM »
What's all this + & -? We went to marquette where it's A AB B BC D CD D

You left out F. 

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2021, 02:47:23 PM »
I dunno about grades, but I've described DJ Carton as "the best player in the Big East...for five minutes a game."

So what's that, a C?

Exactly. For about 5-10 minutes of every game  I think that DJ Carton is an NBA type player and the rest of the game he turns into a very average player that doesn't seem to be really motivated.  How can someone look so good, so focused and so skilled for a few minutes every game, but then look like a completely different player the rest of the game?  Doesn't make sense.  And those good 5 minutes change around every game; sometimes it is early, sometimes in the middle and sometimes at the end of the game.  He has taken over some games at the end, but also had some brutal turnovers in crunch time just from lazy passes or too much dribbling. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2021, 02:54:02 PM »
Exactly. For about 5-10 minutes of every game  I think that DJ Carton is an NBA type player and the rest of the game he turns into a very average player that doesn't seem to be really motivated.  How can someone look so good, so focused and so skilled for a few minutes every game, but then look like a completely different player the rest of the game?  Doesn't make sense.  And those good 5 minutes change around every game; sometimes it is early, sometimes in the middle and sometimes at the end of the game.  He has taken over some games at the end, but also had some brutal turnovers in crunch time just from lazy passes or too much dribbling.

Part of me wonders if it's just lack of enthusiasm donning the Jersey. I'm not trying to read into anything but maybe transferring here + joining a rough team that's not going to the tournament has made him a bit apathetic while watching his former teammates crush it this year.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2021, 03:55:49 PM »
Part of me wonders if it's just lack of enthusiasm donning the Jersey. I'm not trying to read into anything but maybe transferring here + joining a rough team that's not going to the tournament has made him a bit apathetic while watching his former teammates crush it this year.

I would say no, he's just been very erratic.  And by the way the starting guards at Ohio St. are better college players than Carton at this juncture.  Now in his defense he came back from a long layoff and has below mediocre perimeter help.  However, he has shot poorly, been hesitant throughout games, has kicked the ball away constantly, missed critical FT's, and disappears for prolonged stretches. 

I realize this is some strong criticism but the young man is super talented and the key to us having any success.  The most talented players, when they are playing poorly, need to be scrutinized the most.   We're talking about a kid who should be 1st team BEast and dynamic on both ends of the floor.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2021, 04:06:46 PM »
You forget one thing, does not have a quick release on his shot and really no jump shot which is surprising. Needs to work on changing his form, to inconsistent

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2021, 04:14:57 PM »

I might agree if DJ's inconsistency appeared as the season wore on. But he has been fluctuating between 'wow' and 'just ok' from the opening tip back in November.

If Wojo can figure out how to get a consistent performance out of him, the sky is the limit.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2021, 04:26:11 PM »

I might agree if DJ's inconsistency appeared as the season wore on. But he has been fluctuating between 'wow' and 'just ok' from the opening tip back in November.

If Wojo can figure out how to get a consistent performance out of him, the sky is the limit.

Tremendously talented kid Goooo.  I would suggest he axe the yo-yo dribbling and use his blow by downhill speed for starters.  Once he gets into the paint better decisions need to be made but he must relentlessly attack and put pressure on the defense.  Whether to create or score/draw fouls.  He has the athleticism to live at the FT line and should be dropping far more dimes.  I'm hoping for less hesitation in general and ruthless/no mercy attack mode far more often. 

1SE

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2021, 04:49:22 PM »
Would it be an incomplete grade if everyone played really well this season?

Yes. Final grades aren't out. If DG puts us on his back and carries us to a BET and a S16 I would certainly ly have a different take on his year. I'm all for these kinds of threads but in the silly season

Midterm grades or even regular season grades would be fine. But there's no logic to the timing of this thread.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2021, 04:58:14 PM »
Tremendously talented kid Goooo.  I would suggest he axe the yo-yo dribbling and use his blow by downhill speed for starters.  Once he gets into the paint better decisions need to be made but he must relentlessly attack and put pressure on the defense.  Whether to create or score/draw fouls.  He has the athleticism to live at the FT line and should be dropping far more dimes.  I'm hoping for less hesitation in general and ruthless/no mercy attack mode far more often.

Agreed. He can be devastating when he uses that blow-by first step to get into the paint, but he seems to hesitate too often. At this point in the season, there would seem to be little downside to Wojo telling him to drive, drive, drive.

panda

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2021, 06:49:20 AM »
Yes. Final grades aren't out. If DG puts us on his back and carries us to a BET and a S16 I would certainly ly have a different take on his year. I'm all for these kinds of threads but in the silly season

Midterm grades or even regular season grades would be fine. But there's no logic to the timing of this thread.

Fair enough. I misunderstood.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2021, 08:58:28 AM »

I do not think Wojo can push him because of his issues. He would of quit just like he did at Ohio St.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2021, 07:54:20 PM »
I do not think Wojo can push him because of his issues. He would of quit just like he did at Ohio St.

I try to research things about someone before I post about them, especially when they have had mental health issues.  You might want to follow this technique.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2021, 07:58:27 PM »

Did his problems at Ohio State stem from being given the keys to run the offense, or otherwise being too challenged? I’ve never heard that.