[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Have you absorbed THC in some manner?

Yes, legalize it, I want my weed
4 (13.8%)
Yes, don't legalize it, I like my dealer
0 (0%)
Yes, legalize it, but it's not my thing anymore
14 (48.3%)
No, legalize it, not my thing or I only would try if legal
6 (20.7%)
No, don't legalize it
5 (17.2%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Weed Debate in Wisconsin  (Read 5810 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Weed Debate in Wisconsin
« on: February 19, 2021, 08:48:22 AM »
Just curious what the thoughts are around here. Saw Evers wanted to introduce Recreational in the budget.  Seems to be going alright to various degrees around the country. Should WI join the movement or no? And will they?

Added a poll so we could get an anonymous idea of the people debating this.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 11:45:32 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: Weed Debate in Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 08:59:33 AM »
Vice taxes are where it's at, so why let the northern IL suburbs reap all the benefits when we have budget shortfalls to fill?

There is legitimately no good reason not to

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 09:05:18 AM »
Just curious what the thoughts are around here. Saw Evers wanted to introduce Recreational in the budget.  Seems to be going alright to various degrees around the country. Should WI join the movement or no? And will they?

The Tavern League is dug in deep on this issue and the Tavern League of Wisconsin is a tough nut to crack.

The arguments being framed against it all go back to the Tavern League talking points.  It doesn’t make any sense to me because a lot of Tabern League partners would be in the weed business
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 09:11:55 AM »
more and more studies are showing pot to be a gateway drug. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 09:15:38 AM »

I invite you to share the studies. This topic should be an actual debate on it.

Do these studies show that weed leads to "trying" or sustained consistent use of other drugs? Do they compare against alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, prescription drugs (xanex, nirovam, painkillers, adderall), or even something as simple as sugar?

I only ask because if they're looking at who currently uses an illegal drug then that user has already shown to engage in illicit behavior and would be more likely to engage in other illicit behaviors. If they look at states where it is legal and compare against other legal substances they'd get a more accurate number of what it truly a gateway drug.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 09:23:00 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 09:18:09 AM »
Revenue enhancer in Michigan.    I ran calls on two drunk drivers involved in car accidents this week but I have yet to run a call on someone who wrecked their car on weed.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 09:19:50 AM »
It will be legal (and taxed) in Wisconsin eventually.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 09:20:31 AM »

Bigger gateway drug are physician prescribed opiates.  Yet, those remain legal.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 09:21:50 AM »
So true.   We (my fire department as well as the police department in my city) hand out NarCan like orange slices at a soccer game. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 09:26:39 AM »

More and more studies show pot is the leading cause of death in America

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2021, 09:27:14 AM »
Bigger gateway drug are physician prescribed opiates.  Yet, those remain legal.

Yep. Opiates are a bigger gateway drug than marijuana, and cigarettes are a far more deadly one. Yet both are legal.

We're having a similar debate here in MN, with our Democratic governor and state legislators generally in favor and GOP legislators generally opposed.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2021, 09:36:07 AM »
Legalize it in WI and add sports betting while they are it. I would vote yes on both.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2021, 09:39:31 AM »
Legalize it in WI and add sports betting while they are it. I would vote yes on both.

Heavily tax both and earmark that money for education and infrastructure.  Similar to how Michigan earmarks their lotto money for education. 

Either way, I'm on board.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2021, 09:40:01 AM »
The Tavern League is dug in deep on this issue and the Tavern League of Wisconsin is a tough nut to crack.

The arguments being framed against it all go back to the Tavern League talking points.  It doesn’t make any sense to me because a lot of Tabern League partners would be in the weed business

So if someone posed the idea of a weed centric tavern to the tavern league would they be more likely to support it?
Maigh Eo for Sam

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2021, 09:43:47 AM »
I welcome rocket's research on this. My mother-in-law (as left as they come) ran labs for several decades that included studies on addictive tendencies of THC, and there's a thread to be pulled there (studies were in more concentrated and sustained forms than most consumers will experience). But the idea that it is anywhere near on par with other substance dependencies - both on an individual and societal level - has not really born out in what I've seen.

And 100% agree that the Tavern Leagues pockets are the primary barrier in WI

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2021, 09:44:22 AM »
So if someone posed the idea of a weed centric tavern to the tavern league would they be more likely to support it?

They fight stricter drunk driving laws, so no 😬

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2021, 09:45:13 AM »
And I don't understand the Tavern League's point of view here.  They were also against smoking bans, but that turned out to be a big nothingburger too.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 09:48:41 AM »
The tertiary effects of legalizing week include the explosion of CBD products at the different distributors.    CBD oils for anxiety relief or sleep help.    I haven't tried them yet, as there is still a gray area with work about using them, but muscle relaxing and pain relief gummies is definitely something I am going to investigate after I retire.   

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2021, 09:52:24 AM »
It will be legal (and taxed) in Wisconsin eventually.

This.

It. Is. Inevitable.

Why not get it over with and start collecting taxes?

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2021, 09:59:10 AM »
Heavily tax both and earmark that money for education and infrastructure.  Similar to how Michigan earmarks their lotto money for education. 

Either way, I'm on board.

All the numbers make sense. Should be a slam dunk. But it's a big mental shift for a good chunk of the population. Things people were raised to think of as bad or immoral, like drugs and gambling, can be hard to change your mind about. Facts don't always outweigh emotion.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2021, 10:05:07 AM »
How do other states handle drug tests with relation to employment? I work in the manufacturing industry, and I know we do drug tests and worry about people operating machinery. I suppose it is just like making sure someone isn’t drunk at work.

I believe the Tavern League was a thorn in the side for Covid based on shutting down bars and restaurants.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2021, 10:09:46 AM »
How do other states handle drug tests with relation to employment? I work in the manufacturing industry, and I know we do drug tests and worry about people operating machinery. I suppose it is just like making sure someone isn’t drunk at work.

I believe the Tavern League was a thorn in the side for Covid based on shutting down bars and restaurants.

They are debating to make legal in Connecticut.

I'm in manufacturing also.  From what I understand is it up to the company.  If the company says the employees must be clean from MJ despite being legal in the state, and the employee tests positive then the company can fire said employee.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2021, 10:35:10 AM »

In Illinois, employers can still conduct "reasonable" drug testing, including for pot, and refuse or terminate employment based on a positive test.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2021, 10:39:12 AM »

Yep. Opiates are a bigger gateway drug than marijuana, and cigarettes are a far more deadly one. Yet both are legal.

We're having a similar debate here in MN, with our Democratic governor and state legislators generally in favor and GOP legislators generally opposed.

Same here. gOP calls the shots and they will not allow it.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2021, 11:18:52 AM »
Absolutely yes. Making it legal not only brings in tax revenue (although I’m not for heavily taxing it, normal sales taxes are fine) but it does two more important things, to me anyway.

It allows people to use it as therapy, without fear of use or transport or difficulty getting products, for a myriad of health issues, like my father-in-law who passed from ALS.

It also potentially eliminates what I think is a wide imbalance in equal justice, the current creation enforcement of marijuana laws. The war on drugs, so to speak. A different topic for a different space, perhaps.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 11:21:32 AM by 21Jumpstreet »