collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Valpo drops "Crusaders"  (Read 16107 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Valpo drops "Crusaders"
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2021, 08:46:54 AM »
Does this precedent likely mean Holy Cross has to change too?

Absolutely, we're goin' to all numbers for school mascots. In fact, the BOT will be considerin' droppin' the chicken, for our new identity...Marquette 69ers, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2021, 08:49:32 AM »
Baby steps, start taxing the religions. Then work on dissolving them.

Yup.  This is a great idea.  Countries that are godless never commit atrocities right?  Like China, and the Soviet Union.  Bastions of human rights. 

Maybe it has something more to do with human nature, and the way that some people have an insatiable proclivity towards power and greed, and they use whatever means necessary to manipulate others to their cause, which in the end usually has nothing to do with religion, it usually has everything to do with the quest for wealth and power.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 08:52:11 AM by buckchuckler »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2021, 08:53:12 AM »
This is false.  Historically speaking, the Crusades were a response to Muslim armies besieging, sacking, destroying and the conquest of cities throughout the Holy Land.  The goal of the crusades was not to wipe out Islam, but to return cities that had been held by Christians to Christians. As the song goes, Istanbul was once Constantinople.  And after the siege (of Constantinople), there were literally tens of thousands of people enslaved.  The response that was the crusades, was people trying to help people they envisioned as brethren, not to wipe Islam off the Earth. 

History is mostly the ways in which humans treat other humans terribly.  There is no Race, Religion, or people that is free of the stain.  But we need to study history to see how we can be better, and to try to understand motivations and circumstances.  Making claims, based off, what something you read on twitter, aren't helpful.

Last week, I was coincidently reading about the Byzantine Empire. 
In the late 1000's Turks had been making repeated attacks against Byzantium.  The Byzantine Emperor reached out to the Pope for help despite the recent Great Schism.  The Pope agreed and the First Crusade was born.
It was a Byzantine & Western Church alliance.  Crusaders attacked the holy land to regain and the Byzantines kept the Turks busy up north.
By the 1200's the Crusaders got greedy and attacked and then sacked Constantinople instead of the heading to the holy land.  The Byzantine Empire was able to regroup afterwards, but it was never the same. 
In 1453, the Turks sieged Constantinople and finally took it ending the Eastern Roman Empire.  90% of Constantinople residents were sold into slavery by the Turks. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2021, 09:00:29 AM »
Jihad is not contemporary.  It has been a part of Islam since the foundations, and is included in the Quran.  The word has been widely interpreted by Islamic scholars for centuries.

Also, I'm not calling Jihadi's terrorists.  That was your red herring.

I should have clarified “jihadist”.  Jihad is an Arabic word.  Thus, Arabic speakers wouldn’t add “ist” to the end of the word in their own speaking. In the Quran or otherwise.  That’s where it a contemporary and Western term.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2021, 10:41:30 AM »
I should have clarified “jihadist”.  Jihad is an Arabic word.  Thus, Arabic speakers wouldn’t add “ist” to the end of the word in their own speaking. In the Quran or otherwise.  That’s where it a contemporary and Western term.

Okay, semantics it is. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2021, 10:44:44 AM »

Last week, I was coincidently reading about the Byzantine Empire. 
In the late 1000's Turks had been making repeated attacks against Byzantium.  The Byzantine Emperor reached out to the Pope for help despite the recent Great Schism.  The Pope agreed and the First Crusade was born.
It was a Byzantine & Western Church alliance.  Crusaders attacked the holy land to regain and the Byzantines kept the Turks busy up north.
By the 1200's the Crusaders got greedy and attacked and then sacked Constantinople instead of the heading to the holy land.  The Byzantine Empire was able to regroup afterwards, but it was never the same. 
In 1453, the Turks sieged Constantinople and finally took it ending the Eastern Roman Empire.  90% of Constantinople residents were sold into slavery by the Turks.

So people of color sold slaves?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2021, 10:51:11 AM »

Yes of course, slavery still exists and isn't limited to one type of people.  But "SEE THEY DO IT TOO" isn't justification for anything.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2021, 10:53:06 AM »

What is the point of this statement? Like you're clearly trying to make a point without saying it.

Everybody with an ounce of historical knowledge or hell biblical knowledge knows there's been slavery in Africa, Mediterranean empires, Asia, etc. but the only reason anyone tries to point it out is to say something without actually saying it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2021, 10:54:58 AM »
What is the point of this statement? Like you're clearly trying to make a point without saying it.

Everybody with an ounce of historical knowledge or hell biblical knowledge knows there's been slavery in Africa, Mediterranean empires, Asia, etc. but the only reason anyone tries to point it out is to say something without actually saying it.

Yup exactly.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2021, 11:09:16 AM »

Maybe it has something more to do with human nature, and the way that some people have an insatiable proclivity towards power and greed, and they use whatever means necessary to manipulate others to their cause, which in the end usually has nothing to do with religion, it usually has everything to do with the quest for wealth and power.

Why you describing the Catholic church?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2021, 12:57:18 PM »
Why you describing the Catholic church?
And the Baptist church x2
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2021, 01:04:11 PM »
And the Baptist church x2

pretty much everyone that isn't Lutheran
Maigh Eo for Sam

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2021, 01:50:57 PM »
nm
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 02:06:50 PM by buckchuckler »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2021, 02:06:31 PM »
nm

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2021, 05:31:14 PM »
So when do we call for dumping the Fighting Irish????

It connotates an ethnic stereotype of Irish people inconsistent either with today's values or the history of the Irish people. The Notre Dame lexicon suggests Irish people all are aggressive and worship small mythical men. I'd suggest there is a stereotype of Irish people also being well-served, which leads to the concept of a leprechaun.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2021, 05:49:52 PM »

It connotates an ethnic stereotype of Irish people inconsistent either with today's values or the history of the Irish people. The Notre Dame lexicon suggests Irish people all are aggressive and worship small mythical men. I'd suggest there is a stereotype of Irish people also being well-served, which leads to the concept of a leprechaun.

When are people going to demand to marry their pets?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2021, 06:37:59 PM »

For the record I've been demanding this for years since I was little and people would say "oh your moms from Ireland?! Go Notre Dame right?!" And didn't help when the short pale kid took up boxing and bagpiping

While this was suppose to expose the slippery slope argument that was made during the gay marriage legislation it should be stated that people have tried to marry weird $hit
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2021, 07:47:55 PM »

Same time they ask UNC Pembroke to drop their mascot. Never.

It's different when the institution serves the population that is being depicted by the mascot.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2021, 07:55:45 PM »

It's different when the institution serves the population that is being depicted by the mascot.

Serving south side Chicago 5th generation potato famine families isn't serving the population depicted my friend.
Maigh Eo for Sam

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2021, 09:05:52 PM »

Beastiality is already a thin' in parts of Wisconsin, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2021, 10:49:32 PM »

Beastiality is already a thin' in parts of Wisconsin, aina?

Platteville:
Where the girls like girls and the boys like sheep.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2021, 01:01:56 AM »

?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2021, 01:42:10 AM »
?

UNC Pembroke's mascot is the Braves. It is exempt from the NCAAs mandate on Native American imagery because UNC Pembroke is a traditional Native American serving institution. Notre Dame was a traditional Irish serving institution back when that meant something (it doesn't anymore). Today, a significant chunk (majority?) of their students are still of Irish descent thus the mascot isn't problematic in the same way that other mascots have been problematic.

Honestly, this conversation is completely separate from the Valpo conversation. The Valpo conversation is more similar to the confederate statues conversation.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2021, 07:24:54 AM »
UNC Pembroke's mascot is the Braves. It is exempt from the NCAAs mandate on Native American imagery because UNC Pembroke is a traditional Native American serving institution. Notre Dame was a traditional Irish serving institution back when that meant something (it doesn't anymore). Today, a significant chunk (majority?) of their students are still of Irish descent thus the mascot isn't problematic in the same way that other mascots have been problematic.

Honestly, this conversation is completely separate from the Valpo conversation. The Valpo conversation is more similar to the confederate statues conversation.

Brother TAMU, I was being a bit absurdist, I admit, and I actually agree with you on the “Crusaders” name. It represents a time in our Church’s life when we put the temporal above the spiritual and we clearly loss sight of who and what we are as Christians. I’m not sure we want to advertise this and, to your point, it is offensive to our Muslim brothers and sisters. Highly offensive.

Perhaps we Catholics need to do the same thing rationale thinking southerners have done for a generation — look at our symbols and ask the question, what are we saying about ourselves? What are we communicating in our society?

That said, the Warriors needed to stay (but that fight is over, over, over). 8-)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2021, 10:30:28 AM »

I couldn't find data on this, but I would be shocked to learn that anywhere near a majority of ND students are of Irish descent, at least within the past couple of generations.

feedback