[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread  (Read 182994 times)

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
Re: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread
« Reply #2225 on: October 14, 2021, 09:52:22 AM »
I believe the universal DH will be part of the new CBA, and I think Schwarber would give them a little diversity with him DH’ing/corner outfield/first base. I also think a team can’t have enough left handed pop.

I will say, I thought Schwarber was on a one year $7-$8 mil deal. I forgot he’s at $10, with a mutual option. My original thought was the Brewers could get him in their price range (say 2 years/$11 mil), but if he opts out, and the universal DH comes back, I’d guess he’d look for a 3 year deal around $40. That might be too expensive then.

Will be interesting to see what the Brewers do.  Next season they are committed to Yelich-$26M ($4M deferred), Cain $18M ($1M deferred), Wong-$8M, and Peralta-$2.25M.  Add in JBJ's player option at $9.5M ($6.5M deferred).  Garcia has a mutual option at $12M with a $1.5M buyout.  MLB Trade Rumors is predicting arbitration awards of $10M for Hader, $7.1M for Woodruff, $4M for Adamas, $4M for Burnes, $4.1M for Navarez, $2.7M for Lauer, $2.3M for Houser, and $2.4M for Urias.  The payroll adds up quickly...not sure how much room they have left to add a major piece, unless they trade someone like Hader or Woodruff.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 10:03:33 AM by ChuckyChip »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2226 on: October 14, 2021, 09:58:44 AM »
I get trading Hader and Woodruff now if the arb awards above are accurate.  $17M, plus declining the $12M on Garcia, would open up some payroll that might work.  Hader can be replaced with Williams. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #2227 on: October 14, 2021, 10:13:26 AM »
Will be interesting to see what the Brewers do.  Next season they are committed to Yelich-$26M ($4M deferred), Cain $18M ($1M deferred), Wong-$8M, and Peralta-$2.25M.  Add in JBJ's player option at $9.5M ($6.5M deferred).  Garcia has a mutual option at $12M with a $1.5M buyout.  MLB Trade Rumors is predicting arbitration awards of $10M for Hader, $7.1M for Woodruff, $4M for Adamas, $4M for Burnes, $4.1M for Navarez, $2.7M for Lauer, $2.3M for Houser, and $2.4M for Urias.  The payroll adds up quickly...not sure how much room they have left to add a major piece, unless they trade someone like Hader or Woodruff.

Agreed - these get expensive quickly.  I have a feeling Avi ends up testing the market, and I think it is really time to explore a Hader trade.  That would open up enough money to create some flexibility.  Shift Williams to closer, sign a handful of midlevel bullpen arms to try to replace Hader through depth.  Then I think you try to replicate this year's spare parts offense but see if you can't get guys who are about 125% of what you had.  I'm a big fan of Mark Canha, for example, and think he would be a really good fit with what this team does for a Kolton Wong price. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2228 on: October 14, 2021, 10:19:49 AM »
I get trading Hader and Woodruff now if the arb awards above are accurate.  $17M, plus declining the $12M on Garcia, would open up some payroll that might work.  Hader can be replaced with Williams.

Not if da dude continues to act like an idiot. Firewater iz a bitch. In game 4, Williams would have pitched the 8th leaving Hader for inning 9. Fooked up da entire rotation, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2229 on: October 14, 2021, 10:32:20 AM »
The Brewers are in a favorable position in that the don't have to do much to keep winning the division. The Pirates and Cubs are in rebuild modes. The Cards core group is as old as Joe Biden. And the Reds are fading with contract (Mouse is owed $38m) and holes to fill (bullpen) on their own with a small market payroll.

Frankly, it's going to be hard to beat the Giants or Dodgers on a dime. The gap in talent and budget is just too big. Build for the regular season, and hope for the best. When the trade deadline hits, then to go for it all if need be by trading the farm.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2230 on: October 14, 2021, 10:48:17 AM »
Dish, I’m curious why Schwarber. His all or nothing approach at the plate seems to be what keeps getting the Brewers in trouble. Granted, I know he was killing the ball in Washington.

He was all around a better hitter with the Sox this year as well.

Injury plagued year may be cause for a concern. But he hit amazingly all year when he did play
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2231 on: October 14, 2021, 11:04:51 AM »
The Brewers are in a favorable position in that the don't have to do much to keep winning the division. The Pirates and Cubs are in rebuild modes. The Cards core group is as old as Joe Biden. And the Reds are fading with contract (Mouse is owed $38m) and holes to fill (bullpen) on their own with a small market payroll.

Frankly, it's going to be hard to beat the Giants or Dodgers on a dime. The gap in talent and budget is just too big. Build for the regular season, and hope for the best. When the trade deadline hits, then to go for it all if need be by trading the farm.

?

Arenado is 30. O’Neill is 26. Carlson is 22. Gorman is 21. Bader is 27. Edman is 26. Sosa is 25. Herrera is 21. Liberatore is 22. Flaherty is 25. Hudson is 27. Gallegos is 30. Reyes is 27. Woodford is 24. Cabrera is 25. Whitley is 26. DeJong is 28. Nootbar is 24. Yepez is 23. Rondon is 27. Knizner is 26. Hicks is 25. All of these above are expected to play next season.

They are expected to possibly acquire Story (28) or Seager (27) at shortstop, part ways with DeJong, and keep Sosa.

Goldschmidt and Molina are the only two field players in the above list over 30. Goldschmidt had another strong season this year. Molina will be in his last year with two readily available catchers to play there.

Several of their starting pitchers and relievers are in their mid 20’s. Wainwright isn’t, (he had a strong season) a few others aren’t.

The Cardinals also have a lot of money coming off of the books this offseason. Carpenter, Fowler etc…so we’ll see what they do with that as well.

They may or may not be successful, but I wouldn’t call them old.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 04:55:39 PM by shoothoops »

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #2232 on: October 14, 2021, 12:10:33 PM »

No way they trade Woodruff now.  He's the type of player they would trade FOR at this point in his career. 
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

• All American
« Reply #2233 on: October 14, 2021, 01:23:15 PM »

Not if da dude continues to act like an idiot. Firewater iz a bitch. In game 4, Williams would have pitched the 8th leaving Hader for inning 9. Fooked up da entire rotation, aina?

Until it looks like a systematic problem, it really isn't a problem.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2234 on: October 14, 2021, 01:50:38 PM »
speaking of the Cards, they just fired Mike Schilt.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #2235 on: October 14, 2021, 01:53:32 PM »
TLR to the Cards!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2236 on: October 14, 2021, 01:55:36 PM »

"Philosophical differences"

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #2237 on: October 14, 2021, 01:59:21 PM »

IMO the biggest news here isn't that the Cards are getting a new manager. Its whether the new guy will be able to retain Mike Maddux.  His importance literally cannot be overstated.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2238 on: October 14, 2021, 02:20:32 PM »
18 years ago today ... the Bartman game.

The Marlins' 8th inning had to be the most amazing 30-35 minutes of any athletic event I've witnessed in person.

A lot of people don't remember, but that night's loss didn't eliminate the Cubs, it only forced a Game 7. (Just as some forget that the win over the Soviets didn't give the US hockey team gold in 1980 or that the Buckner error didn't end the '86 WS.) And in that Game 7, the Cubs took a 5-3 lead on homers by Wood and Alou. I'm not sure I've ever heard Wrigley louder than it was after Wood's HR.

But then that all went to shyte, too.

Even 18 years later, what happened on 10/14/03 seems impossible.

And, to my knowledge, Bartman STILL hasn't given an interview. I respect that, because the infamous so often look to cash in on their infamy.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2239 on: October 14, 2021, 02:44:24 PM »
IMO the biggest news here isn't that the Cards are getting a new manager. Its whether the new guy will be able to retain Mike Maddux.  His importance literally cannot be overstated.

Lots of Cardinals fans are pining for Molina to be player-manager.  Best fans in baseball have spoken
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #2240 on: October 14, 2021, 02:47:13 PM »
In fairness, Molina should also be general manager and head trainer.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2241 on: October 14, 2021, 03:42:54 PM »
18 years ago today ... the Bartman game.

The Marlins' 8th inning had to be the most amazing 30-35 minutes of any athletic event I've witnessed in person.

A lot of people don't remember, but that night's loss didn't eliminate the Cubs, it only forced a Game 7. (Just as some forget that the win over the Soviets didn't give the US hockey team gold in 1980 or that the Buckner error didn't end the '86 WS.) And in that Game 7, the Cubs took a 5-3 lead on homers by Wood and Alou. I'm not sure I've ever heard Wrigley louder than it was after Wood's HR.

But then that all went to shyte, too.

Even 18 years later, what happened on 10/14/03 seems impossible.

And, to my knowledge, Bartman STILL hasn't given an interview. I respect that, because the infamous so often look to cash in on their infamy.

Buckner's error lost the game for the Red Sox but the Cubs still had the lead after the Bartman interference. Cubs fans always ignore what came after and blame everything on Bartman.  Alex Gonzalez deserves the real blame. Here's what I found on Wikipedia:

Following the incident, the Marlins scored eight runs:[8]

Continuing his at bat, Castillo drew a walk. Ball four was a wild pitch from Prior, which allowed Juan Pierre, who doubled before Castillo came to bat, to advance to third base.
-Iván Rodríguez, on an 0–2 pitch, singled to drive in the first run of the inning, making the score 3–1.
-Miguel Cabrera hit a ground ball to Alex Gonzalez, who misfielded the ball. Had Gonzalez fielded the ball, the Cubs could have either ended the half-inning with a double play, still ahead by two runs, or at least added the second out. Instead, all runners were safe and the bases were loaded.
-Derrek Lee doubled, tying the score and chasing Prior from the game.
-Relief pitcher Kyle Farnsworth issued an intentional walk to Mike Lowell, then gave up a sacrifice fly to Jeff Conine, giving Florida a 4–3 lead. Cubs right fielder Sammy Sosa missed the cut-off man, allowing Lowell to move up to second base. The Cubs issued another intentional walk to Todd Hollandsworth, which again loaded the bases.
-A bases-clearing double from Mike Mordecai, who led-off the half-inning, broke the game open, making the score 7–3.
-Mike Remlinger replaced Farnsworth and Pierre singled to put Florida ahead 8–3.
-Finally, Luis Castillo, whose foul pop initiated the controversy, popped out to second to end the inning. The Marlins had sent twelve batters to the plate and scored eight runs. Florida won the game 8–3.

I think the last anyone heard from Bartman publically was when the Cubs gave him a WS ring in 2016 and he said was incredibly thankful and gracious:

“Although I do not consider myself worthy of such an honor, I am deeply moved and sincerely grateful to receive an official Chicago Cubs 2016 World Series Championship ring,” he said. “I am fully aware of the historical significance and appreciate the symbolism the ring represents on multiple levels. My family and I will cherish it for generations. I am happy to be reunited with the Cubs family and positively moving forward with my life,” he said

Other than him being ND grad, I respect Bartman. As you said, he could have made a lot of money off the incident.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 03:47:50 PM by Billy Hoyle »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2242 on: October 14, 2021, 03:59:01 PM »
Buckner's error lost the game for the Red Sox but the Cubs still had the lead after the Bartman interference. Cubs fans always ignore what came after and blame everything on Bartman.  Alex Gonzalez deserves the real blame. Here's what I found on Wikipedia:

Following the incident, the Marlins scored eight runs:[8]

Continuing his at bat, Castillo drew a walk. Ball four was a wild pitch from Prior, which allowed Juan Pierre, who doubled before Castillo came to bat, to advance to third base.
-Iván Rodríguez, on an 0–2 pitch, singled to drive in the first run of the inning, making the score 3–1.
-Miguel Cabrera hit a ground ball to Alex Gonzalez, who misfielded the ball. Had Gonzalez fielded the ball, the Cubs could have either ended the half-inning with a double play, still ahead by two runs, or at least added the second out. Instead, all runners were safe and the bases were loaded.
-Derrek Lee doubled, tying the score and chasing Prior from the game.
-Relief pitcher Kyle Farnsworth issued an intentional walk to Mike Lowell, then gave up a sacrifice fly to Jeff Conine, giving Florida a 4–3 lead. Cubs right fielder Sammy Sosa missed the cut-off man, allowing Lowell to move up to second base. The Cubs issued another intentional walk to Todd Hollandsworth, which again loaded the bases.
-A bases-clearing double from Mike Mordecai, who led-off the half-inning, broke the game open, making the score 7–3.
-Mike Remlinger replaced Farnsworth and Pierre singled to put Florida ahead 8–3.
-Finally, Luis Castillo, whose foul pop initiated the controversy, popped out to second to end the inning. The Marlins had sent twelve batters to the plate and scored eight runs. Florida won the game 8–3.

I think the last anyone heard from Bartman publically was when the Cubs gave him a WS ring in 2016 and he said was incredibly thankful and gracious:

“Although I do not consider myself worthy of such an honor, I am deeply moved and sincerely grateful to receive an official Chicago Cubs 2016 World Series Championship ring,” he said. “I am fully aware of the historical significance and appreciate the symbolism the ring represents on multiple levels. My family and I will cherish it for generations. I am happy to be reunited with the Cubs family and positively moving forward with my life,” he said

Other than him being ND grad, I respect Bartman. As you said, he could have made a lot of money off the incident.

John McNamara not replacing Buckner defensively with Dave Stapleton as he has done for most of the end of the year was the real culprit.  I get the sentimentality of Buckner being on the field but a two run lead against that team was hardly a can’t-lose spot. 

It makes me think of Ray Fosse who passed away yesterday after a long illness.  Fosse, like Buckner, was a great player defined by one moment.  Neither was something they probably wished to be remembered by nor should they given all they accomplished.  Sometimes, the cruelty of the games is too much
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2243 on: October 14, 2021, 04:57:19 PM »
interesting strategy by the Dodgers tonight. They'll start a reliever, Knebel, instead of Urias to prevent the Giants from stacking the top of the lineup with righties and force the Giants to replace guys once Urias comes in. Well played by Roberts and apparently Roberts texted Kapler to tell him he was going to do that.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 05:29:00 PM by Billy Hoyle »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2244 on: October 14, 2021, 05:11:55 PM »
Buckner's error lost the game for the Red Sox but the Cubs still had the lead after the Bartman interference. Cubs fans always ignore what came after and blame everything on Bartman.  Alex Gonzalez deserves the real blame.

The Bartman stuff was embarrassingly overblown.  The Alex Gonzalez muff is where I truly lost it, considering how good a fielder he had been.

That night was AWFUL.  I was a freshman in college watching in the dorms surrounded by many native Ohioans who were largely Reds fans, thus reveling in schadenfreude.  I closed the door to my room as 3-4 drunk idiots chanted "JACK MC-KEON" outside my room pretending they were just happy for a Reds manager.

Still I remember going to bed thinking "The Cubs are starting Wood in Game 7, they'll be fine".  I honestly don't remember anything about Game 7, Ive blocked so much of it out.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2245 on: October 14, 2021, 05:15:00 PM »
The only time I got written up by an RA was for cheering so loud with a bunch of Mets fans when the ball rolled through Durham's legs and the 84 collapse was complete.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2246 on: October 14, 2021, 06:53:52 PM »
interesting strategy by the Dodgers tonight. They'll start a reliever, Knebel, instead of Urias to prevent the Giants from stacking the top of the lineup with righties and force the Giants to replace guys once Urias comes in. Well played by Roberts and apparently Roberts texted Kapler to tell him he was going to do that.

I think it was a really good move as well. Posey kills Urias. This might have 1 less Posey AB. And it’s gonna force them to either keep KB down in lineup or move him up vs worse match up. As well as all the righty role players

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2247 on: October 14, 2021, 07:33:17 PM »
Good points on Game 6, 2003, guys.

Gonzalez booted a sure DP ball, Prior lost his composure, Dusty messed up, etc. Just a shyte-show of historic proportions, which made it a surreal half-hour. I have seen a LOT of baseball (as have many other Scoopers) and there’s never been anything like it.

As for Buckner, the recent 30-for-30 on the Mets did a good job of explaining how huge an eff-up that was by McNamara. Buckner had a heck of a career and deserved better.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2248 on: October 14, 2021, 10:11:28 PM »
Game 5 living up to the billing

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #2249 on: October 14, 2021, 10:32:05 PM »
Game 5 living up to the billing

Just a great baseball game.  Logan Webb.  Man, hell of a start for the young man.