[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread  (Read 182465 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread
« Reply #2275 on: October 19, 2021, 11:14:57 PM »
It’s unfathomable that MLB assigned Laz Diaz to a home plate assignment in the playoffs.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2276 on: October 20, 2021, 05:28:41 AM »
It’s unfathomable that MLB assigned Laz Diaz to a home plate assignment in the playoffs.

It's time for AI to primarily replace the home plate umpire. MLB talks about wanting to speed up the game but this level of inefficiency (incompetence) is no longer acceptable with technological advances.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxsports.com.au/baseball/baseball-news-2021-playoffs-boston-red-sox-vs-houston-astros-game-four-laz-diaz-home-plate-umpire-mistakes-nathan-eovaldi-pitch/news-story/86162e234663080b18b815bc72483a2d

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2277 on: October 20, 2021, 08:29:42 AM »
The strike 3 that would have ended the 9th was bad and Diaz missed pitches all night   I'm a big Sox fan, but if Eovaldi doesn't hang a slider after that pitch, no one would remember the missed call.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2278 on: October 20, 2021, 08:31:20 AM »
It's time for AI to primarily replace the home plate umpire. MLB talks about wanting to speed up the game but this level of inefficiency (incompetence) is no longer acceptable with technological advances.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxsports.com.au/baseball/baseball-news-2021-playoffs-boston-red-sox-vs-houston-astros-game-four-laz-diaz-home-plate-umpire-mistakes-nathan-eovaldi-pitch/news-story/86162e234663080b18b815bc72483a2d

That was an interesting piece. Thanks for the link. I knew Diaz was bad, but I didn't know he was that bad. I can't argue with your view that it's time to use AI for ball/strike calls. You're probably right. A lot of players wouldn't like the results, especially at first, but they'd get used to it fairly quickly.

As for the Eovaldi curve that has so many up in arms ... the ball caught the very top outside corner. Some people are acting as if it was right down the middle, an obvious miss, but it was an inch inside the zone. And it got there from further outside; when I saw it live, I also thought it was outside because of its trajectory. That's not to excuse Diaz -- he is a high-paid professional and shouldn't have missed so many pitches, but it's not like that one call, in and of itself, was an egregious mistake.

Oh, and Eovaldi also is a high-paid professional; there was no rule that once Diaz missed that call by an inch, Eovaldi and a bunch of Red Sox relievers had to give up a bazillion hits.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2279 on: October 20, 2021, 08:59:28 AM »
That was an interesting piece. Thanks for the link. I knew Diaz was bad, but I didn't know he was that bad. I can't argue with your view that it's time to use AI for ball/strike calls. You're probably right. A lot of players wouldn't like the results, especially at first, but they'd get used to it fairly quickly.

As for the Eovaldi curve that has so many up in arms ... the ball caught the very top outside corner. Some people are acting as if it was right down the middle, an obvious miss, but it was an inch inside the zone. And it got there from further outside; when I saw it live, I also thought it was outside because of its trajectory. That's not to excuse Diaz -- he is a high-paid professional and shouldn't have missed so many pitches, but it's not like that one call, in and of itself, was an egregious mistake.

Oh, and Eovaldi also is a high-paid professional; there was no rule that once Diaz missed that call by an inch, Eovaldi and a bunch of Red Sox relievers had to give up a bazillion hits.
It was just one reliever, Martin Perez, who let in all the runs.  Weird choice to bring in the last guy in your bullpen to keep a one run deficit with two outs in the ninth.  I agree that the missed strike wasn't egregious.  Eovaldi was dealing at that point and I am sure if he had to do it again he'd have elevated a fastball rather than throw a slider to Castro.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2280 on: October 20, 2021, 09:32:11 AM »
It was just one reliever, Martin Perez, who let in all the runs.  Weird choice to bring in the last guy in your bullpen to keep a one run deficit with two outs in the ninth.  I agree that the missed strike wasn't egregious.  Eovaldi was dealing at that point and I am sure if he had to do it again he'd have elevated a fastball rather than throw a slider to Castro.

Thanks for your correction on Perez being the bullpen culprit, and I totally agree about both the managing and Eovaldi's hanging meatball.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #2281 on: October 20, 2021, 03:40:45 PM »
Andy Haines fired. Maybe whoever they bring in next can fix Keston.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2282 on: October 20, 2021, 03:50:59 PM »
I can fix da dude. He's trying to lift every pitch outta da park. Upward motion to his swing, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2283 on: October 20, 2021, 04:20:04 PM »
That is the modern swing. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2284 on: October 20, 2021, 04:28:16 PM »
I mean, maybe Keston isn't that good after pitchers adjusted to him.  Wouldn't be the first.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2285 on: October 20, 2021, 04:29:25 PM »
I believe Keston's mother was diagnosed with some kind of cancer and he talked about it really affecting him personally.  Hopefully she can find good health and hopefully that lifts a weight off of Keston's shoulders.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2286 on: October 20, 2021, 10:36:29 PM »
So much for the Dodgers rolling the Braves.  I'm very surprised

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2287 on: October 20, 2021, 11:38:10 PM »
Braves are one semi-flukish home run away from having swept the Dodgers.

• All American
« Reply #2288 on: October 21, 2021, 05:15:11 AM »

Wonder who's going to replace Dave Roberts?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2289 on: October 21, 2021, 09:52:59 AM »

True, but the Dodgers were one play away from winning either of the first two games.

It's 3-1, and that's what it should be.

Meanwhile, Dusty has the Astros within a game of another WS appearance. I hope it doesn't get messed up. I find myself rooting for him.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2290 on: October 21, 2021, 10:12:37 AM »
True, but the Dodgers were one play away from winning either of the first two games.

It's 3-1, and that's what it should be.

Meanwhile, Dusty has the Astros within a game of another WS appearance. I hope it doesn't get messed up. I find myself rooting for him.

I don’t know if Dusty is a “great” manager. He may be.

But, remember how people used to say that “Bill Clinton was always the smartest guy in the room? Well, when Dusty enters, he is always the coolest guy in the room. Maybe that’s why guys love playing for him so much.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2291 on: October 21, 2021, 10:23:20 AM »
edit: really?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 10:35:57 AM by mu_hilltopper »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2292 on: October 21, 2021, 10:31:10 AM »
Who the fook referred to Clinton as "the smartest guy in the room?"

Were he so smart, he'd never have married horse face. I will give the ass hole credit for cheating on her, doe, hey?

Classy stuff all around.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2293 on: October 21, 2021, 10:57:02 AM »
Classy stuff all around.

Thanks for quoting before he deleted it lol.

• All American
« Reply #2294 on: October 21, 2021, 11:00:53 AM »
Thanks for quoting before he deleted it lol.

He didn't.  A mod did.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2295 on: October 21, 2021, 11:13:34 AM »
I don’t know if Dusty is a “great” manager. He may be.

Dusty is great at what is probably a big-league manager's most important job: dealing with the various egos of multimillionaires and uniting them for a common cause. It's why over and over and over again, he has gone into difficult situations and helped turn things around very quickly.

But while he has proven himself as one of the few managers who always gets a team from Point A to Point B, he has yet to get any team to Point C (as in Championship), with many of his postseason exits having been gut-wrenching. That suggests something less than greatness in actual game management against an opponent with top-quality talent and a good manager.

Baker is a good guy with an interesting life story, and a baseball man through and through. I'm rooting for him to finally get the title this year. It won't be easy.

• All American
« Reply #2296 on: October 21, 2021, 11:24:27 AM »
Dusty is great at what is probably a big-league manager's most important job: dealing with the various egos of multimillionaires and uniting them for a common cause. It's why over and over and over again, he has gone into difficult situations and helped turn things around very quickly.

But while he has proven himself as one of the few managers who always gets a team from Point A to Point B, he has yet to get any team to Point C (as in Championship), with many of his postseason exits having been gut-wrenching. That suggests something less than greatness in actual game management against an opponent with top-quality talent and a good manager.

Baker is a good guy with an interesting life story, and a baseball man through and through. I'm rooting for him to finally get the title this year. It won't be easy.

I said here that hiring Dusty was a bad idea.   But it turned out to be a very good idea because they are letting Dusty do the things that Dusty does best (the things you mention) but he is surrounded by people who better do the things he doesn't do well (like game management, pitching management and use of analytics.)

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2297 on: October 21, 2021, 12:12:15 PM »
Anything can and does happen in short 7 game playoff series (or less). Regular season is regular season. Post season is post season. They are two very different things.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2298 on: October 21, 2021, 12:15:58 PM »

I said here that hiring Dusty was a bad idea.   But it turned out to be a very good idea because they are letting Dusty do the things that Dusty does best (the things you mention) but he is surrounded by people who better do the things he doesn't do well (like game management, pitching management and use of analytics.)

Perhaps this is a sign that he has finally fully bought into that stuff and is really listening to those people. I'm not close enough to the situation to know, but he's obviously doing something right.

Houston's starter was totally dealing yesterday, so I'm glad Dusty let him go 8 innings instead of pulling him "just because." They won't need Valdez again until the World Series (if they're good and lucky enough to get there), so why not give your bullpen the day off?

Anything can and does happen in short 7 game playoff series (or less). Regular season is regular season. Post season is post season. They are two very different things.

Yes. That certainly is a fact.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #2299 on: October 21, 2021, 01:38:50 PM »

Then on to Colorado to play the World Series.

feedback