[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread  (Read 182820 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread
« Reply #2000 on: October 06, 2021, 01:17:15 PM »
I know I've beaten this horse on here a few times, but the thing that gets me the most is that some players just don’t run and nobody cares or does anything about it or even notices it.  In the first inning Stanton rips a ball off the wall, stands at the plate and admires it and doesn’t run, and when it hits the wall he only gets a single when it should have been an easy stand up double, and nobody says a thing.  Then in the sixth, with one out and Judge on first, he rips another ball off the wall, and AGAIN stands at home plate and admires it.  They gave him a double, but he had stopped and was standing around first and did not head for second until Bogaerts threw home for Judge, who had come around all the way from first.  That should have been scored a single with him advancing on the throw home.  So when A-Rod kept saying they should have held Judge at third (which was actually right) and the Yankees would have had second and third with one out, he was wrong.  They would have had first and third because Stanton did not run again.  I do not understand the mentality that allows this to happen, especially in a game where if you lose your season is over.  If you pulled him (and anybody else) from the game in April a couple times for not running, that would probably end the problem.  Not running is so commonplace that nobody on the broadcast even mentions it when it happens.  I am picking on Stanton here, but he is far from the only guy who does this, just like there are lots of guys who run everything out.

I'm with you 100% here. I know some would consider a bunch of old guys whining about lack of hustle to be passe, but it's so true.

All one has to do is look at the contrast between the way Judge legged out the infield hit right before Stanton hit the shot off the wall. I'd bet your life that if Stanton had hit that grounder, he'd have jogged to first and been out by 30 feet.

But that's life. We can whine about it but it won't change anything. Most managers are afraid to hold their stars to high standards. Though IIRC, the San Diego manager did bench Machado last season, right?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2001 on: October 06, 2021, 01:23:53 PM »
Like FBM said, he was very good but not HOF caliber.  I mean, I don't think he ever pops up in the top OF of the 70s, much less players overall.  Look at Jim Rice, better stats across the board, in every category, in less games, and he barely made it in on his last try.  Smith also had a pretty mediocre record of playoff performance.

But this is what you get when you put players like Ted Simmons in the Hall of Fame.  I mean if you enshrine Simmons, why NOT Reggie Smith.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2002 on: October 06, 2021, 02:15:21 PM »
Because its not the Hall of Very Good.

I was considering 3 Cub players in the Hall - Santo, Williams, and Dawson. There is a pretty good argument that Reggie was as good, if not better, than all 3.

Of course, those 3 may all belong in the Hall of Very Good. :-\

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2003 on: October 06, 2021, 02:19:01 PM »
Like FBM said, he was very good but not HOF caliber.  I mean, I don't think he ever pops up in the top OF of the 70s, much less players overall.  Look at Jim Rice, better stats across the board, in every category, in less games, and he barely made it in on his last try.  Smith also had a pretty mediocre record of playoff performance.

Reggie was a better player than Rice. Rice is in the Hall ONLY because of the Green Monster. Belongs in the same group as Santo, Williams, and Dawson.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2004 on: October 06, 2021, 03:26:57 PM »
I was considering 3 Cub players in the Hall - Santo, Williams, and Dawson. There is a pretty good argument that Reggie was as good, if not better, than all 3.

I mean, all but the most meatball Cubs fans would agree with you on Santo.

But Dawson I'll object.  Same relative average, but 700 more hits, 125 more HRs, more ASG selections, an MVP, a ROY, 7 more Gold Gloves, and 4 Silver Sluggers.  He was a beast during those Expo and early Cub years, I don't even think they are comparable.

Billy Williams is closer but again has raw stats across the board that beat out Reggie Smith.

And odd to create Rice for the HOF ONLY because of Fenway...when a big chunk of his early prime and very good seasons were in the same park.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2005 on: October 06, 2021, 06:12:42 PM »
I mean, all but the most meatball Cubs fans would agree with you on Santo.

But Dawson I'll object.  Same relative average, but 700 more hits, 125 more HRs, more ASG selections, an MVP, a ROY, 7 more Gold Gloves, and 4 Silver Sluggers.  He was a beast during those Expo and early Cub years, I don't even think they are comparable.

Billy Williams is closer but again has raw stats across the board that beat out Reggie Smith.

And odd to create Rice for the HOF ONLY because of Fenway...when a big chunk of his early prime and very good seasons were in the same park.

Dawson had almost 3,000 more ABs than Smith, yet their WARs were equal. Reggie also had a much higher OPS+., higher 162WL%, more SB. What Dawson had was a 4 year run in Montreal that was better than any 4 years of the other guys. And don't forget, Dawson only hit more than 27 HRs 3 times in his career and his MVP year was the only time he hit more than 32.

Santo had the highest WAR of any of these guys. better 162WL%, better oWAR, better dWAR, and 2nd highest OPS+ after Smith.

I think all 5 of these guys are borderline HoFers. 4 got in.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2006 on: October 06, 2021, 07:02:48 PM »

Considering modern day stats, all four belong. Incredibly consistent.  The Hawk may have more high years, but his knee was in bad shape. All were great defensively.

Santo made it too late, but playing stats+baseball cheerleader (note I didn't say analyst) put him in over the top for me.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2007 on: October 06, 2021, 07:16:42 PM »
Dawson had almost 3,000 more ABs than Smith, yet their WARs were equal. Reggie also had a much higher OPS+., higher 162WL%, more SB. What Dawson had was a 4 year run in Montreal that was better than any 4 years of the other guys. And don't forget, Dawson only hit more than 27 HRs 3 times in his career and his MVP year was the only time he hit more than 32.

Santo had the highest WAR of any of these guys. better 162WL%, better oWAR, better dWAR, and 2nd highest OPS+ after Smith.

I think all 5 of these guys are borderline HoFers. 4 got in.

HOFs, especially MLB, loves accumulation stats.  Longevity matters, especially when in "tiebreaker" type scenarios.  Dawson was extremely productive and hitting well into his late 30s.  Yea he wasn't slugging 40 HRs a season, but he was hitting 20+ every damn year until he was 37.  His career advanced stats all took a shot when he was washed up those last 4 years in Boston and Florida, but he was a HOFer already.

There are plenty of guys not in the HOF that I think have a better argument than Smith, but you have a fondness for him for some reason, so good on you.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2008 on: October 06, 2021, 07:38:14 PM »
This is my first time ever rooting for the Cardinals.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2009 on: October 06, 2021, 07:48:25 PM »
I know I've beaten this horse on here a few times, but the thing that gets me the most is that some players just don’t run and nobody cares or does anything about it or even notices it.  In the first inning Stanton rips a ball off the wall, stands at the plate and admires it and doesn’t run, and when it hits the wall he only gets a single when it should have been an easy stand up double, and nobody says a thing.  Then in the sixth, with one out and Judge on first, he rips another ball off the wall, and AGAIN stands at home plate and admires it.  They gave him a double, but he had stopped and was standing around first and did not head for second until Bogaerts threw home for Judge, who had come around all the way from first.  That should have been scored a single with him advancing on the throw home.  So when A-Rod kept saying they should have held Judge at third (which was actually right) and the Yankees would have had second and third with one out, he was wrong.  They would have had first and third because Stanton did not run again.  I do not understand the mentality that allows this to happen, especially in a game where if you lose your season is over.  If you pulled him (and anybody else) from the game in April a couple times for not running, that would probably end the problem.  Not running is so commonplace that nobody on the broadcast even mentions it when it happens.  I am picking on Stanton here, but he is far from the only guy who does this, just like there are lots of guys who run everything out.

Warrior

I also watched the game and had the exact same reaction. And on top of everything, nobody in the booth even questioned Arod’s faulty “analysis”. Yes, criticizing the 3rd base coach was legit. The risk/reward (especially given the score) says hold Judge at 3rd. But no mention of Stanton jaking it - ex star players don’t go after current star players when a 3rd base coach is an easy target.

Expecting effort from highly paid (or even paltry paid) players was once a given. Valuing it now gets you ageist insults from mean spirited know nothings. So it goes…

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2010 on: October 06, 2021, 07:56:20 PM »
Warrior

I also watched the game and had the exact same reaction. And on top of everything, nobody in the booth even questioned Arod’s faulty “analysis”. Yes, criticizing the 3rd base coach was legit. The risk/reward (especially given the score) says hold Judge at 3rd. But no mention of Stanton jaking it - ex star players don’t go after current star players when a 3rd base coach is an easy target.

Expecting effort from highly paid (or even paltry paid) players was once a given. Valuing it now gets you ageist insults from mean spirited know nothings. So it goes…

I’m an mean-spirited ageist and I agree that jaking it around the bases is unacceptable. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2011 on: October 06, 2021, 08:05:36 PM »
I’m an mean-spirited ageist and I agree that jaking it around the bases is unacceptable.

Not true Rico - you have a sense of humor. He doesn’t.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2012 on: October 06, 2021, 11:28:28 PM »
Oh well … Shildt happens!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2013 on: October 06, 2021, 11:28:48 PM »
Bye, bye Cardinals - you are Yadi-outta-here!

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2014 on: October 06, 2021, 11:30:46 PM »
Bye, bye Cardinals - you are Yadi-outta-here!

Greatest defensive catcher ever.  ;D ;D ;D

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #2015 on: October 07, 2021, 02:36:13 AM »
This is my first time ever rooting for the Cardinals.

Welcome to the club of exceptional baseball fans. While our team let you down last night, I promise there are more ups than downs.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2016 on: October 07, 2021, 07:21:19 AM »
That was a game! On to Yadi's farewell season...hope every team gives him a farewell beanball

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2017 on: October 07, 2021, 07:32:42 AM »
Welcome to the club of exceptional baseball fans. While our team let you down last night, I promise there are more ups than downs.

Some may even say, the Best Fans in Baseball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2018 on: October 07, 2021, 07:37:45 AM »
That was a game! On to Yadi's farewell season...hope every team gives him a farewell beanball

The Cardinals and Yadi have too much respect for the game to have a farewell tour. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2019 on: October 07, 2021, 07:51:42 AM »
Having every umpire spit in Yadi’s face should be included in the farewell tour.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2020 on: October 07, 2021, 05:28:19 PM »
.Uninspired all around performance by the White Sox

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2021 on: October 07, 2021, 05:50:26 PM »
.Uninspired all around performance by the White Sox

McCullers has been lights out against the Sox, and Lynn has gotten destroyed by Houston consistently. This result was easy to see coming. I wagered accordingly too.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2022 on: October 07, 2021, 07:19:09 PM »
Dusty Baker did not manage the back end of that game well. I certainly didn’t mind taxed innings for Graveman and Pressly today going into an early afternoon game tomorrow.

I think (hope?) the Sox win tomorrow, the pitching advantage on paper swings in their direction tomorrow. If they don’t win tomorrow, I can’t see the Sox winning three in a row.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2023 on: October 07, 2021, 07:55:00 PM »
Is TB the favorite from the AL?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2024 on: October 07, 2021, 08:03:38 PM »
Is TB the favorite from the AL?

They’re the top seed so…yeah.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow