[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread  (Read 183004 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread
« Reply #1625 on: September 02, 2021, 06:22:59 PM »
I've watched a little MLB recently but generally don't watch until the playoffs.  What exactly is the deal with "the shift"?  Are they going to allow it moving forward or not?  It seems to me if you're a good hitter it should be to your advantage.  Why wouldn't say a Yelich just take a bunt single every time if no one is on base?  Think about what Tony Gwynn would have done vs "the shift".  He would absolutely destroy that strategy.  Whatever happened to versatility with the bat?

It's nothing new - just used more often now that their is easy access to where guys hit the ball.

But it has been used since at least the late 40's when Low Boudreau used it against Ted Williams.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1626 on: September 02, 2021, 06:33:23 PM »

It's nothing new - just used more often now that their is easy access to where guys hit the ball.

But it has been used since at least the late 40's when Low Boudreau used it against Ted Williams.

Fair enough.  It seems like people make a big deal out of it for some reason.  Thx Jockey.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1627 on: September 02, 2021, 07:12:28 PM »
They would not have tried the shift on Tony Gwynn.   Have you seen any of the 4 outfielder shifts?   Put as many fielders as possible (Prince, Cecil) where the batter is likely to hit. 

It is going to continue until batters learn to use the whole field.   Or until they figure out how to legislate it out.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1628 on: September 02, 2021, 07:25:13 PM »
They would not have tried the shift on Tony Gwynn.   Have you seen any of the 4 outfielder shifts?   Put as many fielders as possible (Prince, Cecil) where the batter is likely to hit.

Nor Ichiro, nor Cabrera, etc… there are more guys they don’t shift for than they do. If you can slap an outside pitch to the opposite field, or swing inside out on a pitch inside, they won’t shift.

I don’t think the legislate it out cause you can easily beat it if you really wanted to as a player or manager.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1629 on: September 02, 2021, 07:28:08 PM »

It is going to continue until batters learn to use the whole field.   Or until they figure out how to legislate it out.

Gwynn was phenomenal.  What an amazing athlete.  It's as if he could direct the ball like a tennis player.  Have you seen his strike out totals Tower?  The guy was ridiculous.  Tremendous eye-hand coordination . 

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1630 on: September 02, 2021, 07:58:52 PM »
Gwynn was phenomenal.  What an amazing athlete.  It's as if he could direct the ball like a tennis player.  Have you seen his strike out totals Tower?  The guy was ridiculous.  Tremendous eye-hand coordination .

The average fastball was about 4 - 5 MPH less when Gwynn played. Almost no one could throw 98, so hitters had more time to react. Spin rates were also something that was not pushed back then, so there is a lot more movement on the ball now.

That being said, if he played now, Gwynn would still be at the top of the list for fewest strikeouts. The total would be higher, but probably not by too much.

Wags brought up Ichiro. He is the most skilled batter I have ever seen and I go back to the great HoF'ers from the 60s and 70s. He was one of 2 hitters where I said this is a no-doubt HoF'er the first time I saw him hit. The other was 19 year old Adrian Beltre after I saw him hit in BP.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1631 on: September 02, 2021, 08:03:38 PM »
The average fastball was about 4 - 5 MPH less when Gwynn played. Almost no one could throw 98, so hitters had more time to react. Spin rates were also something that was not pushed back then, so there is a lot more movement on the ball now.

That being said, if he played now, Gwynn would still be at the top of the list for fewest strikeouts. The total would be higher, but probably not by too much.

Wags brought up Ichiro. He is the most skilled batter I have ever seen and I go back to the great HoF'ers from the 60s and 70s. He was one of 2 hitters where I said this is a no-doubt HoF'er the first time I saw him hit. The other was 19 year old Adrian Beltre after I saw him hit in BP.

Ichiro was amazing as well but unlike Gwynn got a lot of infield hits because of his prime- time speed.  Both of them would do just fine in this era.  They would not be bothered by the new age pitchers because they would practice against them and be familiar with their speed and spin rates. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1632 on: September 02, 2021, 08:07:14 PM »
Ichiro was amazing as well but unlike Gwynn got a lot of infield hits because of his prime- time speed.  Both of them would do just fine in this era.  They would not be bothered by the new age pitchers because they would practice against them and be familiar with their speed and spin rates. 

Yeah. I don’t think that’s terribly accurate. They’d be fine yeah, but how do you “practice against them?”

My guess is that they would be encouraged to hit with more power, which would drive down their BA but perhaps lift their Slugging.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1633 on: September 02, 2021, 08:11:40 PM »
Yeah. I don’t think that’s terribly accurate. They’d be fine yeah, but how do you “practice against them?”

My guess is that they would be encouraged to hit with more power, which would drive down their BA but perhaps lift their Slugging.

Gwynn hit .400 against 7 Cy Young winners.  The guy would do just fine today FBM.  By growing up in this era they would see far more speed and movement from little league to the major leagues.

• All American
« Reply #1634 on: September 02, 2021, 08:22:39 PM »
Gwynn hit .400 against 7 Cy Young winners.  The guy would do just fine today FBM.  By growing up in this era they would see far more speed and movement from little league to the major leagues.

That’s what I said. They would do just fine.

But as I said my guess is that they would be hitting with more power than they did during their day. Slappy singles hitters just aren’t valued as much.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1635 on: September 02, 2021, 08:28:05 PM »

But as I said my guess is that they would be hitting with more power than they did during their day. Slappy singles hitters just aren’t valued as much.

Fair enough.  They would thwack the ball all over the field and put up HOF numbers. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1636 on: September 02, 2021, 09:15:36 PM »

It would be fascinating to watch Ichiro in this era. It’s always been said, by multiple teammates and baseball people, that he had plenty of power. Not Bonds or Sosa steroid power, but could have hit 30 a season easily.  He just loved hitting for average and piling up those hit numbers

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1637 on: September 02, 2021, 10:31:35 PM »
It would be fascinating to watch Ichiro in this era. It’s always been said, by multiple teammates and baseball people, that he had plenty of power. Not Bonds or Sosa steroid power, but could have hit 30 a season easily.  He just loved hitting for average and piling up those hit numbers

Not sure why golf digest was the best source that I could find, but the animated Ichiro spray chart is a thing of beauty.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/this-time-lapse-spray-chart-of-all-3089-hits-in-ichiro-suzukis-career-is-mesmerizing

(If someone can post the animation directly, thank you.)

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1638 on: September 04, 2021, 09:54:24 PM »
Houser threw the brewer’s first complete game shutout in 1,011 games tonight.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1639 on: September 04, 2021, 10:05:43 PM »
Houser threw the brewer’s first complete game shutout in 1,011 games tonight.

First Brewers complete game in over 4 years. First complete game shutout in 7 years. Couldn’t have come at a more opportune time after last night.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1640 on: September 05, 2021, 07:15:11 AM »
I'm going to be very interested to see how the Crew lines up its pitching for the post season. Clearly Burnes and Woody are the top 2.  After that I'm not 100% sure what Counsell will do.  Do you push Freddy back, for example, and give the start #3 to Houser?  I'm assuming 6th through 9th innings belong, as necessary, to Strick, Box, Williams, Hader (wow).  Roles for quality arms like Lauer/Suter/Cousins? Never once will they have to send a guy to the mound who hasn't had lasting success this year.

My only concern right now is getting Willy and Avi back as close to 100% as possible while maintaining their edge at the plate.  Plenty of off days and treatments.  I trust Counsell to manage that appropriately.  October could be really special.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1641 on: September 05, 2021, 09:37:38 AM »
I'm going to be very interested to see how the Crew lines up its pitching for the post season. Clearly Burnes and Woody are the top 2.  After that I'm not 100% sure what Counsell will do.  Do you push Freddy back, for example, and give the start #3 to Houser?  I'm assuming 6th through 9th innings belong, as necessary, to Strick, Box, Williams, Hader (wow).  Roles for quality arms like Lauer/Suter/Cousins? Never once will they have to send a guy to the mound who hasn't had lasting success this year.

My only concern right now is getting Willy and Avi back as close to 100% as possible while maintaining their edge at the plate.  Plenty of off days and treatments.  I trust Counsell to manage that appropriately.  October could be really special.

Woody, Burnes, and bullpen games. Even when Peralta is starting, Counsell lets him go about 5 innings I think. Between off days and lots of strong bullpen options before Hader in the 9th, think that’s how Counsell works things.

Hopefully a special October!

WI_Inferiority_Complexes1

• Walk-On
« Reply #1642 on: September 05, 2021, 11:18:30 AM »
Last night Dietrich Enns became the 13th Ray this season to record a save, (a new record).

The Rays have a $74M payroll, last year’s pennant, and the best record in baseball.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1643 on: September 05, 2021, 11:38:12 AM »

Peralta is clearly #3 if he is healthy. A no-brainer.

I agree that Counsell will go into playoff prep mode starting as early as this week. Lots of rest, fewer innings for the top starters. More off days for the starting 8.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1644 on: September 05, 2021, 01:03:36 PM »
They just shut Willy down for 10 days.  Good move.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1645 on: September 05, 2021, 02:15:07 PM »
They just shut Willy down for 10 days.  Good move.
It’s nice to have that flexibility

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1646 on: September 05, 2021, 02:47:50 PM »
The MLB Replay process is horrendous.

• All American
« Reply #1647 on: September 05, 2021, 05:22:05 PM »
Wow!

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1648 on: September 05, 2021, 05:23:39 PM »
This team is incredibly fun.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1649 on: September 05, 2021, 05:43:51 PM »
This team is nuts (but boring af)