[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread  (Read 182785 times)

WI_Inferiority_Complexes1

• Walk-On
Re: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread
« Reply #1425 on: August 13, 2021, 12:14:53 AM »
It must be exhausting to hate fun so much. 

Field of dreams sucks!
Nostalgia sucks!
Baseball sucks!
Kevin Costner sucks!
This game sucks!

What a bunch of old goats.
1.) The movie Field of Dreams does suck.
2.) “Nostalgia” is definitely hampering the game. It’s the reason why some people still freak out about seining 3-0.
3.) Nobody said baseball sucks.
4.) Costner has made better movies; nobody has said he sucks.
5.) The game, to a poster, was exciting. Re-read the thread.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 12:34:11 AM by WI_Inferiority_Complexes1 »

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1426 on: August 13, 2021, 04:14:31 AM »
Field of Dreams is good for "step outside you Nazi cow" which made me laugh hysterically multiple times in my childhood and James Earl Jones. 

This line in Field of Dreams was so well delivered by our own Amy Madigan, MU grad in philosophy and wife of actor Ed Harris with whom she has worked often...

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001496/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm#trivia
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1427 on: August 13, 2021, 07:45:36 AM »
1.) The movie Field of Dreams does suck.
2.) “Nostalgia” is definitely hampering the game. It’s the reason why some people still freak out about seining 3-0.
3.) Nobody said baseball sucks.
4.) Costner has made better movies; nobody has said he sucks.
5.) The game, to a poster, was exciting. Re-read the thread.

1) Only if you have no sense of imagination or wonder.  Its a movie with James Earl Jones and Burt Lancaster.  Cmon.  But fine movie opinions.
2)That's not nostalgia. Thats more old goats.  The I hate everything nation, which is so prevalent here.
3)ok fine.  I was being a drama Llama.
4)There sure was a lot of dancing around he sucks, but whatever.  Movie opinions. 
5) I guess I misinterpreted "the game is meh"?

I'm sticking with miserable old goats.

That game was awesome.  From start to finish.  I loved everything about it. 

https://twitter.com/PardonMyTake/status/1426028760780967940?s=20

Sorry for the nostalgia crossover...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 07:49:48 AM by buckchuckler »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1428 on: August 13, 2021, 07:58:51 AM »
1) Only if you have no sense of imagination or wonder.  Its a movie with James Earl Jones and Burt Lancaster.  Cmon.  But fine movie opinions.
2)That's not nostalgia. Thats more old goats.  The I hate everything nation, which is so prevalent here.
3)ok fine.  I was being a drama Llama.
4)There sure was a lot of dancing around he sucks, but whatever.  Movie opinions. 
5) I guess I misinterpreted "the game is meh"?

I'm sticking with miserable old goats.

That game was awesome.  From start to finish.  I loved everything about it. 

https://twitter.com/PardonMyTake/status/1426028760780967940?s=20

Sorry for the nostalgia crossover...

1.  It's an opinion.  I have "imagination and wonder," but that movie doesn't do it for me.  "The Natural" is way more interesting as a nostalgic baseball movie IMO.
2.  Baseball has over-emphasized its past for too long, and IMO is one of the reasons its fanbase continues to age.
3.  Agreed
4.  I think a part of his problem is that he got on a streak of bad movies.  By and large he's fine.
5.  Heard the game was good, but I have no reason or desire to watch a regular season White Sox / Yankees game though.  I was watching a replay of the Brewers. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1429 on: August 13, 2021, 09:19:13 AM »
I thoroughly enjoyed the game until the bottom of the 9th, but I am a Yankee fan.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1430 on: August 13, 2021, 09:28:51 AM »
Nothing not to like about that game last night! And as far as how to leverage baseball's past to improve its future, I think last night was mostly a great example.  Got a little corny at times, but seeing the White Sox swag out those classic unis in a cornfield with a walk off homer in front of fireworks was pretty pretty pretty great.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1431 on: August 13, 2021, 10:23:31 AM »

1.  It's an opinion.  I have "imagination and wonder," but that movie doesn't do it for me.  "The Natural" is way more interesting as a nostalgic baseball movie IMO.

I can't get behind the Natural. Read the book first, loved it, then watched the movie. The ending of the movie completely changed the entire story.

Give me Bull Durham for best baseball movie.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1432 on: August 13, 2021, 10:39:41 AM »
I can't get behind the Natural. Read the book first, loved it, then watched the movie. The ending of the movie completely changed the entire story.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1433 on: August 13, 2021, 11:17:40 AM »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1434 on: August 13, 2021, 12:05:49 PM »
Monster ratings for last night’s game.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1435 on: August 13, 2021, 12:21:40 PM »

That's a no-brainer for me.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1436 on: August 13, 2021, 12:56:47 PM »
You guys are on a roll - Bull Durham, Bang the Drum Slowly and Major League were all great!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1437 on: August 13, 2021, 01:44:52 PM »

You guys are on a roll - Bull Durham, Bang the Drum Slowly and Major League were all great!

My two favorite baseball movies are Bull Durham and Naked Gun. Yeah, the latter is a stretch to call a "baseball movie," but there haven't been many more legitimately funny baseball scenes in movie history than Frank Drebin umpiring. Throw in the Reggie Jackson stuff, and it's "baseball enough" for me to include it here!

I liked The Natural, but I saw the movie first. After reading the book, I was like, "Wow. That's different." And different was better, yes.

As for others ...

I remembered liking Bang The Drum Slowly when I saw it in the theater eons ago, but I rented it probably 10 years ago with my son and we both actually thought it was pretty boring.

Major League was fun but beyond stupid, and nowhere near as stupid-funny as, say, Bad News Bears IMHO. Every once in awhile, I ump a Little League game in which a player reminds me of one of the Bears -- usually Tanner -- and I have to try hard to not laugh out loud.

I liked A League of Their Own, Moneyball, 42, Eight Men Out, Sugar and 61 but wouldn't consider any of them "classics."

I do always get a kick out of Damn Yankees, which I've probably seen 50 times, including twice on Broadway (once with Jerry Lewis).

Anthony Perkins didn't even slightly resemble a baseball player, but his portrayal of Jimmy Piersall was incredible; Fear Strikes Out is very underrated and, I'd say, way ahead of its time as a 1957 movie that examined mental illness.

The Pride of the Yankees is a guilty pleasure -- even though its action scenes were '40s-production bad and it was schmaltzy, the Lou Gehrig story is so compelling and Gary Cooper is so likable that it's impossible for me not to enjoy it.

And speaking of schmaltzy ... I just never really liked Field of Dreams all that much. The plays on emotion just always felt forced and staged to me, and I don't think Costner is all that good in it. (Was much better in Bull Durham IMHO.)

Nostalgia sucks!

This game sucks!

What a bunch of old goats.

I'm not at all against nostalgia. Many of the baseball flicks I like appeal strongly to nostalgia, including Bull Durham, Bad News Bears, Pride of the Yankees, Damn Yankees, Natural. To me, they're simply better than a nostalgia-for-the-sake-of-nostalgia deal like Field of Dreams.

But hey, I know plenty of people who put FoD at No. 1, and that's why they make all kinds of movies for all kinds of audiences!

Finally ... as for me calling the Field of Dreams Game "meh" ... I made that statement before the game was played. I was expressing my own interest in a regular-season game between the Yankees and White Sox on a Thursday night in August, and I wasn't moved to think it would be "special" merely because it was in a cornfield.

I didn't see the game but watched Sportscenter and it looks like it was a fine game in a cool setting. Had the game been an 11-1 snooze, would many folks be waxing poetic about it? I don't know ... but it wasn't 11-1, it was a fine game in a cool setting ... so sure, I'll eat crow for my "meh" on this one.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1438 on: August 13, 2021, 01:48:56 PM »
The fact that we are spending this much time discussing the game is the exact reason they played it.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1439 on: August 13, 2021, 01:53:08 PM »
Bad News Bears suffers in the context of the sequels. The original is a no-brainer top 5 baseball movie.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1440 on: August 13, 2021, 01:55:18 PM »
The fact that we are spending this much time discussing the game is the exact reason they played it.

No joke.  MLB and Fox couldn't have asked for a better game.  And they executed their jobs perfectly. 

And to me the number 1 baseball movie is The Sandlot.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1441 on: August 13, 2021, 02:36:44 PM »
My two favorite baseball movies are Bull Durham and Naked Gun. Yeah, the latter is a stretch to call a "baseball movie," but there haven't been many more legitimately funny baseball scenes in movie history than Frank Drebin umpiring. Throw in the Reggie Jackson stuff, and it's "baseball enough" for me to include it here!

I liked The Natural, but I saw the movie first. After reading the book, I was like, "Wow. That's different." And different was better, yes.

As for others ...

I remembered liking Bang The Drum Slowly when I saw it in the theater eons ago, but I rented it probably 10 years ago with my son and we both actually thought it was pretty boring.

Major League was fun but beyond stupid, and nowhere near as stupid-funny as, say, Bad News Bears IMHO. Every once in awhile, I ump a Little League game in which a player reminds me of one of the Bears -- usually Tanner -- and I have to try hard to not laugh out loud.

I liked A League of Their Own, Moneyball, 42, Eight Men Out, Sugar and 61 but wouldn't consider any of them "classics."

I do always get a kick out of Damn Yankees, which I've probably seen 50 times, including twice on Broadway (once with Jerry Lewis).

Anthony Perkins didn't even slightly resemble a baseball player, but his portrayal of Jimmy Piersall was incredible; Fear Strikes Out is very underrated and, I'd say, way ahead of its time as a 1957 movie that examined mental illness.

The Pride of the Yankees is a guilty pleasure -- even though its action scenes were '40s-production bad and it was schmaltzy, the Lou Gehrig story is so compelling and Gary Cooper is so likable that it's impossible for me not to enjoy it.

And speaking of schmaltzy ... I just never really liked Field of Dreams all that much. The plays on emotion just always felt forced and staged to me, and I don't think Costner is all that good in it. (Was much better in Bull Durham IMHO.)

I'm not at all against nostalgia. Many of the baseball flicks I like appeal strongly to nostalgia, including Bull Durham, Bad News Bears, Pride of the Yankees, Damn Yankees, Natural. To me, they're simply better than a nostalgia-for-the-sake-of-nostalgia deal like Field of Dreams.

But hey, I know plenty of people who put FoD at No. 1, and that's why they make all kinds of movies for all kinds of audiences!

Finally ... as for me calling the Field of Dreams Game "meh" ... I made that statement before the game was played. I was expressing my own interest in a regular-season game between the Yankees and White Sox on a Thursday night in August, and I wasn't moved to think it would be "special" merely because it was in a cornfield.

I didn't see the game but watched Sportscenter and it looks like it was a fine game in a cool setting. Had the game been an 11-1 snooze, would many folks be waxing poetic about it? I don't know ... but it wasn't 11-1, it was a fine game in a cool setting ... so sure, I'll eat crow for my "meh" on this one.

Lots of good movie picks here, Mike! If Naked Gun is a baseball movie, I’m with you. Bad News Bears was funny, Fear Strikes Out moving and Ray Walston was GREAT in Damn Yankees.

Like you, I saw Bang the Drum Slowly in the theater as a (relatively) young man and loved it but when I watched it years later it didn’t age all that well.

Sticking with “old” (liked Pride of the Yankees, too) how about It Happens Every Spring with Ray Milland or The Monty Stratton Story with Jimmy Stewart and June Allyson?

Agree that 42, 8 Men Out and others mentioned were solid. Actually really liked Moneyball, would put it in my top 5 list.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1442 on: August 13, 2021, 02:40:43 PM »
Lots of good movie picks here, Mike! If Naked Gun is a baseball movie, I’m with you. Bad News Bears was funny, Fear Strikes Out moving and Ray Walston was GREAT in Damn Yankees.

Like you, I saw Bang the Drum Slowly in the theater as a (relatively) young man and loved it but when I watched it years later it didn’t age all that well.

Sticking with “old” (liked Pride of the Yankees, too) how about It Happens Every Spring with Ray Milland or The Monty Stratton Story with Jimmy Stewart and June Allyson?

Agree that 42, 8 Men Out and others mentioned were solid. Actually really liked Moneyball, would put it in my top 5 list.
I was going to rewatch Bang the Drum Slowly, but if you and MU82 can agree on something, I'd better leave me with my memories on enjoying the movie.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1443 on: August 13, 2021, 03:46:20 PM »
I was going to rewatch Bang the Drum Slowly, but if you and MU82 can agree on something, I'd better leave me with my memories on enjoying the movie.

Made me laugh ... but Lenny and I actually agree on lots of stuff ... including that most of our disagreements are inconsequential in the grand scheme of things!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1444 on: August 13, 2021, 03:53:50 PM »

That was a great role for Ray Walston ... though no My Favorite Martian - ha! As I said, I saw it on stage with Jerry Lewis as Mr. Applegate, and he had so much fun with it that the audience was really into it.

I haven't seen It Happens Every Spring and The Monty Stratton Story. I'll add 'em to my list!

Inspired by this entire topic, I just watched Umpire Frank Drebin again. I've probably seen it 1,000 times ... and yet I still laughed 5 times during this 2 1/2 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyghaQMO5HQ

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1445 on: August 13, 2021, 08:17:32 PM »
In their last 21 innings, the Cubs have given up 41 runs.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1446 on: August 13, 2021, 09:21:21 PM »
Luckily for Cubs fans, it's only a re-load, not a rebuild.  ::)

Pittsburgh, we are comin' for you.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1447 on: August 14, 2021, 09:42:28 PM »
Who the F is Tyler Gilbert?

Good job young man!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1448 on: August 14, 2021, 09:57:57 PM »
Who the F is Tyler Gilbert?

Good job young man!

First career start and was a Rule 5 pick last year to boot.  Absolutely amazing

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1449 on: August 15, 2021, 08:41:40 AM »
So it appears that the Brewers are waiving Travis Shaw off the injured list.  No surprise given the acquisition of multiple infielders, most notably Escobar and Tellez.  A sincere Thank You for the contribution the 'Mayor of Ding Dong City' has made this year.  Always playing full speed, he carried the team for extended periods back in April and May. 

feedback