[May 01, 2024, 07:53:32 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread  (Read 183174 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread
« Reply #1300 on: August 02, 2021, 07:00:58 PM »
The Cardinals acquired two well-known aging pitchers to keep the fan base interested in a losing season.

Full stop.

Nah. Much of their fan base is well aware that those two are struggling aging pitchers who have had past career success. That isn’t going to keep their fan base happy.

When only one other team has won more than you, expectations are often a bit higher than that. Winning and having success is what will keep their fan base interested (or not). If they they field competitive teams that have consistent success, they will keep selling tickets and getting television ratings. If they become less competitive more often, that will change, especially weeknight games. (It’s still a thing like it is some other places for people to travel to Stl for a summer Cards game) No team is immune to that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1301 on: August 02, 2021, 07:01:26 PM »
Q: How many St Louis Cardinal fans does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: 30. 1 to screw it in and 29 to reminisce about what a wonderful experience it was.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1302 on: August 02, 2021, 07:04:30 PM »
Q: How many St Louis Cardinal fans does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: 30. 1 to screw it in and 29 to reminisce about what a wonderful experience it was.

There is only one Cards fan, Dgies.  Shoot is a purely impartial consumer of baseball and the Cardinals.  He has no irrational or emotional investment in them or the St Louis metro at all. The rest of us are the slanted simpletons.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1303 on: August 02, 2021, 07:04:42 PM »
Nah. Much of their fan base is well aware that those two are struggling aging pitchers who have had past career success. That isn’t going to keep their fan base happy.

When only one other team has won more than you, expectations are often a bit higher than that. Winning and having success is what will keep their fan base interested (or not). If they they field competitive teams that have consistent success, they will keep selling tickets and getting television ratings. If they become less competitive more often, that will change, especially weeknight games. (It’s still a thing like it is some other places for people to travel to Stl for a summer Cards game) No team is immune to that.

Too easy.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1304 on: August 02, 2021, 07:14:43 PM »
Fans criticize other teams/cities all the time. Most fans can handle criticism by other fans. Most fans can also self-reflect on their own teams/cities honestly, at least a little.

St. Louis fans on the other hand....well, just look at the last several pages.

How many positive or neutral posts have you posted about St. Louis? Other posters? You aren’t likely to get a balanced view if all of the posts are negative.

In order to have a balanced conversation and view there needs to be positive and neutral posts about a subject by more than one poster.

Take the pizza example. (This one irrationally bothers some people) When asked I say it’s pizza, I like all pizza.

Then I say I prefer NYC style pizza, and then New Haven after that. But that doesn’t mean I don’t also like or eat other types too.

When in Chicago and not eating. Brooklyn Paulie Gee’s in Logan Square or Piece in Wicker Park or wherever or whatever, I prefer Southside tavern style pizza in Chicago, or Pequod’s to other extreme vs say a Lou Malnati’s or some others that I prefer less often but would also have. I don’t know anyone in Chicago that exclusively eats deep dish pizza. If that topic progressed to St. Louis pizza, I would mention the non St. Louis style pizza places I prefer first, but, I would also add that I like and eat St. Louis style pizza, even the provel kind. It’s fine. In Milwaukee I was more of a Zaffiro’s person by choice, Pizza Shuttle by convenience or whatever the case may be.  And so on.

It is what it is. A balanced conversation takes more than one person having a balanced view on a subject.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1305 on: August 02, 2021, 07:15:32 PM »
Hader couldn't plan his positive test during the month we couldn't give him a save situation?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1306 on: August 02, 2021, 07:18:48 PM »
Dude. Time to give it a rest.

I think you have me confused with several other posters.

I’m sure others can make a list better than me of who they are:

1) Cubs fan
2) Brewers fan
3) Something else that just wants the thread back.

Quite a few 1’s and 2’s in there. Those are the ones that post more frequently about it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 07:20:46 PM by shoothoops »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1307 on: August 02, 2021, 07:21:44 PM »
How many positive or neutral posts have you posted about St. Louis? Other posters? You aren’t likely to get a balanced view if all of the posts are negative.

In order to have a balanced conversation and view there needs to be positive and neutral posts about a subject by more than one poster.

Take the pizza example. (This one irrationally bothers some people) When asked I say it’s pizza, I like all pizza.

Then I say I prefer NYC style pizza, and then New Haven after that. But that doesn’t mean I don’t also like or eat other types too.

When in Chicago and not eating. Brooklyn Paulie Gee’s in Logan Square or Piece in Wicker Park or wherever or whatever, I prefer Southside tavern style pizza in Chicago, or Pequod’s to other extreme vs say a Lou Malnati’s or some others that I prefer less often but would also have. I don’t know anyone in Chicago that exclusively eats deep dish pizza. If that topic progressed to St. Louis pizza, I would mention the non St. Louis style pizza places I prefer first, but, I would also add that I like and eat St. Louis style pizza, even the provel kind. It’s fine. In Milwaukee I was more of a Zaffiro’s person by choice, Pizza Shuttle by convenience or whatever the case may be.  And so on.

It is what it is. A balanced conversation takes more than one person having a balanced view on a subject.

Your inability to separate "hey everyone troll the weirdo who has written a novella about the perceived lack of impartiality of Cubs and Brewers fans on muscoop while fiercely and in exhaustive detail defending every last minute bit of St. Louis and Cardinals culture and history" and "troll the city of St. Louis and the Cardinals because St. Louis and the Cardinals suck" is truly baffling.

Are you honestly incapable of seeing that even if the people you're engaging with don't like St. Louis and don't like the Cardinals, that precisely zero percent of the crap sent in that direction *on this message board* has anything to do with St. Louis or the Cardinals and 100% to do with trolling you?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1308 on: August 02, 2021, 07:25:59 PM »
Your inability to separate "hey everyone troll the weirdo who has written a novella about the perceived lack of impartiality of Cubs and Brewers fans on muscoop while fiercely and in exhaustive detail defending every last minute bit of St. Louis and Cardinals culture and history" and "troll the city of St. Louis and the Cardinals because St. Louis and the Cardinals suck" is truly baffling.

Are you honestly incapable of seeing that even if the people you're engaging with don't like St. Louis and don't like the Cardinals, that precisely zero percent of the crap sent in that direction *on this message board* has anything to do with St. Louis or the Cardinals and 100% to do with trolling you?

Nah. People didn’t just develop their fanaticism personality/temperament because of me. And, they didn’t use it with St. Louis as a place or with its sports teams only because of my posts. Nah those people already had that, and, rhey have it outside of the board too. There’s a pretty decent chance you are either a Cubs or Brewers fan.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 07:29:39 PM by shoothoops »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1309 on: August 02, 2021, 07:34:30 PM »
Nah. People didn’t just develop their fanaticism personality/temperament because of me. And, they didn’t use it with St. Louis as a place or with its sports teams only because of my posts. Nah those people already had that, and, rhey have it outside of the board too. There’s a pretty decent chance you are either a Cubs or Brewers fan.

You're right of course, nobody is basing their IRL choices and fandom on trolling you. But literally every St. Louis-related post in this thread is dedicated to trolling you. I know this because I'm not oblivious to reality. I know this because I've observed you drop 500 words asking other posters what positive or negative things they've said about St. Louis over, and over, and over again. I know this because all I have to do is say something like "Jorge Posada was better than Yadier Molina" and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you've got 1500 words ready to go to make certain that no random person on the internet dare impugn Molina's honor like that.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1310 on: August 02, 2021, 07:34:54 PM »
And, they didn’t use it with St. Louis as a place or with its sports teams only because of my posts.

I know I could never convince the great shoothoops this, but my Lester an Happ comments actually had (and still have) nothing to do with St Louis.

They do have everything to do with ANY non contending team that traded anything away for Lester and Happ. 

But , the great shoothoops is too unbiased to ever see that. Clearly it's a swipe at STL. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1311 on: August 02, 2021, 07:35:40 PM »
You're right of course, nobody is basing their IRL choices and fandom on trolling you. But literally every St. Louis-related post in this thread is dedicated to trolling you. I know this because I'm not oblivious to reality. I know this because I've observed you drop 500 words asking other posters what positive or negative things they've said about St. Louis over, and over, and over again. I know this because all I have to do is say something like "Jorge Posada was better than Yadier Molina" and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you've got 1500 words ready to go to make certain that no random person on the internet dare impugn Molina's honor like that.

Posada was better.  Count the rings
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1312 on: August 02, 2021, 07:47:37 PM »

Lower career WAR than Jason Kendall.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1313 on: August 02, 2021, 07:49:07 PM »

Ya...no.

But thanks for proving my point.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1314 on: August 02, 2021, 09:52:34 PM »
Unsurprising that Hader wasn't vaccinated.

Escobar has been a solid pickup.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1315 on: August 02, 2021, 10:02:47 PM »

;D

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1316 on: August 02, 2021, 10:10:38 PM »
Unsurprising that Hader wasn't vaccinated.

Was that confirmed? I know they announced that Yelich was but was a breakthrough.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1317 on: August 02, 2021, 10:16:54 PM »
Was that confirmed? I know they announced that Yelich was but was a breakthrough.

Not "confirmed". But Counsell in the past has announced when breakthrough infections have occurred. He confirmed that Yelich, Cousins and (I think) Strickland were vaccinated. When asked about Hader (and Burnes) he said that he couldn't discuss it.

https://twitter.com/Haudricourt/status/1422316793813667845
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 10:26:44 PM by BM1090 »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1318 on: August 02, 2021, 10:35:53 PM »
Roger that. Decent context clues for the conclusion.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1319 on: August 03, 2021, 07:43:32 PM »
Oops. At least Lester came cheap.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1320 on: August 03, 2021, 09:00:21 PM »
Oops. At least Lester came cheap.

He just needs to learn The Way.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1321 on: August 03, 2021, 09:09:41 PM »
I just saw that the Brewers' pitcher tonight has a no hitter through 6 innings.  Are they good enough to have a puncher's chance in the playoffs?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1322 on: August 03, 2021, 09:15:37 PM »
I just saw that the Brewers' pitcher tonight has a no hitter through 6 innings.  Are they good enough to have a puncher's chance in the playoffs?

Jesus H muggsy.  STFU. It's happened once in Crew history. Know the rules.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1323 on: August 03, 2021, 09:19:13 PM »

Being at 95 pitches through 6, I don’t think there’s much to worry about. A team one would be cool.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1324 on: August 03, 2021, 09:22:35 PM »

Sorry.