collapse

* Recent Posts

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:36:07 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:25:35 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread  (Read 182799 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread
« Reply #975 on: July 18, 2021, 12:06:08 PM »
Thanks, Lenny, for taking my comment the way I meant it. That’s a rare thing here.

You had the perfect response.

You’d think with all the guns out there, bad guys with illegal guns would be afraid of good guys with guns.  What can you do, though?  Thoughts and prayers usually work for families of the dead
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #976 on: July 18, 2021, 02:55:46 PM »
You’d think with all the guns out there, bad guys with illegal guns would be afraid of good guys with guns.  What can you do, though?  Thoughts and prayers usually work for families of the dead

Why would they want anything more, Unk?

Law changes? They won't end every single gun crime, so they would be useless!

Unlike drunk-driving laws and laws against rape, which have stopped every single death-by-drunkard accident and every single rape since enacted.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #977 on: July 19, 2021, 10:29:09 PM »

When we live in Utopia, all people will willingly turn in their guns. The folks involved in that gun fight that killed that little girl in Washington don’t live in Utopia and they’ll laugh at (and be empowered by) any law that takes guns from the good guys in their neighborhood. But who gives a sh!t about the good guys in the bad neighborhoods, right? The people who would leave them even more defenseless? We’ll, not your neighborhood, not your problem.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #978 on: July 19, 2021, 10:37:01 PM »
So as for actual baseball, after dropping 3 of 4 right before the break to give the Reds a glimmer of hope, the Crew go ahead and sweep them in Cincy.  Pirates are obviously tanking, Cubs seems prime for a fire sale, and despite having arguably the most talent in the division, it seems every time I check the standing, the Cards are +/- 3 games of .500.  As long as the Reds don't play ridiculously over their heads the rest of the way, it should be pretty straightforward to a division title, and a matchup with the winner of the East.  I've seen them blow leads too many time to count, so nothing is done until it's mathematically done, but you should be counting on October baseball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #979 on: July 19, 2021, 11:16:45 PM »
When we live in Utopia, all people will willingly turn in their guns. The folks involved in that gun fight that killed that little girl in Washington don’t live in Utopia and they’ll laugh at (and be empowered by) any law that takes guns from the good guys in their neighborhood. But who gives a sh!t about the good guys in the bad neighborhoods, right? The people who would leave them even more defenseless? We’ll, not your neighborhood, not your problem.

Unfortunately, "good guys" are far more likely to use to use their guns to harm themselves or members of their household than they are to protect them.
And maybe if we did more to keep guns away from "bad guys," the "good guys " wouldn't seek a false sense of a security by arming themselves.
But obviously this is all speculation. If only there were places on the planet with strict gun laws that could show whether something like that would work.

Anyhow, White Sox should have Eloy Jimenez and Luis Robert back in the lineup by mid-August, barring setbacks. Pretty much equivalent to adding a couple of all-star quality players at the deadline. If the rotation holds up, they're going to be tough to beat come October.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 11:23:04 PM by Pakuni »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #980 on: July 20, 2021, 08:31:24 AM »
Unfortunately, "good guys" are far more likely to use to use their guns to harm themselves or members of their household than they are to protect them.
And maybe if we did more to keep guns away from "bad guys," the "good guys " wouldn't seek a false sense of a security by arming themselves.
But obviously this is all speculation. If only there were places on the planet with strict gun laws that could show whether something like that would work.

Anyhow, White Sox should have Eloy Jimenez and Luis Robert back in the lineup by mid-August, barring setbacks. Pretty much equivalent to adding a couple of all-star quality players at the deadline. If the rotation holds up, they're going to be tough to beat come October.

Pak

Agree with much of what you say, though I doubt very much that there were 3 million+ guns in circulation prior to the passage of strict gun law passage in any country where it has been effective. Getting the guns out of the hands of the good guys in the US would be difficult but generally doable. Getting the guns out of the hands of the bad guys would not be unless we have the stomach for the violence and suspension of civil liberties it would require. I don’t think we do.

Re our White Sox, I’m amazed how well they’ve performed given their injuries. Starting pitching trumps all, though, and our guys (especially Lynn and Rodin) have been both healthy and effective. And our almost 80 year old manager has pleasantly surprised. I hated the hire and his early season gaffes made me hate it even more. But he has done a good job with some makeshift lineups. I hope you’re right about October - it’s been too long since 2005.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #981 on: July 20, 2021, 08:42:31 AM »
So as for actual baseball, after dropping 3 of 4 right before the break to give the Reds a glimmer of hope, the Crew go ahead and sweep them in Cincy.  Pirates are obviously tanking, Cubs seems prime for a fire sale, and despite having arguably the most talent in the division, it seems every time I check the standing, the Cards are +/- 3 games of .500.  As long as the Reds don't play ridiculously over their heads the rest of the way, it should be pretty straightforward to a division title, and a matchup with the winner of the East.  I've seen them blow leads too many time to count, so nothing is done until it's mathematically done, but you should be counting on October baseball.

The Cardinals have used 10 different starting pitchers due to injuries. A few of their rotation starters haven’t thrown a single pitch this season. And another is now out for the season. They lead the league in walks per 9 innings. And, offense is their problem. (plate approach and player development) They do have a few very good relievers, including one of the game’s better closers, who wants to start next season.

It’s not a big surprise their first draft pick led the NCAA in fewest walks per 9, and, their 2nd pick is one of the draft’s best prep power hitters. They have a few promising milb position players but they aren’t ready to contribute this season.

They aren’t likely to be sellers because tanking for rebuilds isn’t an organizational philosophy (one losing season in over 20 years). It doesn’t sell well there. So, if anything they are more likely to add a little bit and try to make a wild card run.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #982 on: July 20, 2021, 11:30:53 PM »
Kris Bryant removed from the Cubs game tonight in the 5th.  Everyone assumes the worst.  Deemed "hamstring fatigue".  Cubs fans sigh a bit in relief...until he's still traded in the next week

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #983 on: July 21, 2021, 12:00:35 AM »
Kris Bryant removed from the Cubs game tonight in the 5th.  Everyone assumes the worst.  Deemed "hamstring fatigue".  Cubs fans sigh a bit in relief...until he's still traded in the next week

That should be the last inning he plays in a Cubs uniform.

Even with that being said, they’re going to get 40 cents on the dollar for him and every GM knows it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #984 on: July 21, 2021, 08:23:48 AM »
That should be the last inning he plays in a Cubs uniform.

Even with that being said, they’re going to get 40 cents on the dollar for him and every GM knows it.

They will. Shame on Theo for not trading him two years ago.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #985 on: July 21, 2021, 10:27:34 AM »
This is gonna be a hell of a series.

Pitching Probables for Sox/Brewers

Giolito/Peralta
Rodon/Burnes
Lynn/Woodruff

WI_Inferiority_Complexes1

• Walk-On
« Reply #986 on: July 21, 2021, 09:05:47 PM »
Yermin Mercedes is retiring. At least he will wear a a white Sox hat on his HOf bust.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #987 on: July 22, 2021, 04:22:10 PM »
Yermin Mercedes is retiring. At least he will wear a a white Sox hat on his HOf bust.

And with the second-most important "I'm back" in Chicago sports history, Yermin has ended his retirement.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #988 on: July 22, 2021, 06:04:06 PM »
Cruz to the Rays is the first big deadline addition
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #989 on: July 22, 2021, 06:24:01 PM »
Cruz to the Rays is the first big deadline addition

Joc Pederson is very offended.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #990 on: July 22, 2021, 06:52:00 PM »
I didn't realize Nelson Cruz was 41.  Holy chit.  I would have guess 5 years younger.  And he's Dominican, so he really may be 43.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #991 on: July 23, 2021, 09:07:46 AM »
The Cleveland Guardians.
Blah.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #992 on: July 23, 2021, 09:12:59 AM »
The Cleveland Guardians.
Blah.

My reaction too. I get what they're going for to riff off the "defend the Land" thing - and there's a really cool idea in there somewhere.  But "Guardians" is a bridge too far from that original idea and comes off as lame and generic.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #993 on: July 23, 2021, 10:37:11 AM »
My reaction too. I get what they're going for to riff off the "defend the Land" thing - and there's a really cool idea in there somewhere.  But "Guardians" is a bridge too far from that original idea and comes off as lame and generic.

Yea, my buddies from Cleveland kind of shrugged.  Its not horrible, but it kind of comes across like a fictional team from a sports movie.  But at the same time, they all said their wasn't a proposed name that was great so it was kind of pick something and get on with it

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #994 on: July 23, 2021, 10:42:11 AM »
When was the last time a fan base was legitimately excited for their team's name change?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #995 on: July 23, 2021, 10:47:48 AM »
I still think Cleveland Spiders would have been the best.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #996 on: July 23, 2021, 10:55:13 AM »
The Cleveland Guardians.
Blah.
The Cleveland Guardiolas would have been better

I like the Cleveland Hornets

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #997 on: July 23, 2021, 10:55:48 AM »
It's fine. Very few people would think it's a bad nickname if they were the Guardians all along.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #998 on: July 23, 2021, 11:03:20 AM »
When was the last time a fan base was legitimately excited for their team's name change?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #999 on: July 23, 2021, 11:18:35 AM »

If you've ever been to Cleveland you know what one of the Guardians is.

feedback