[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread  (Read 182926 times)

MUBurrow

• All American
Re: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread
« Reply #650 on: May 20, 2021, 10:14:22 AM »
TLR has not known a rule that cost his team a game, he’s thrown multiple players  under the bus (publicly), he’s left pitchers in when they’ve admitted postgame that they were past done...and it’s only May 20th. Those aren’t good things.

They’re not winning because of TLR, they are winning in spite of him. I enjoy being at the top of the standings, but I’ll be happy to be wrong if all of the above doesn’t catch up with the Sox.

The worst part of TLR is that he cares far more about telling everyone how smart he is than he cares about his players.  Its not enough for him to have a perspective on Mercedes swinging away, he has to make sure everyone else knows what that perspective is even at the cost of his relationship with the player.  It isn't enough to think that today's pitchers are soft compared to the innings they used to throw, he has to leave them in to prove it regardless of prevailing baseball and medical wisdom.  You can have successful locker rooms that have a wide variety of personalities and opinions, but at the end of the day those guys have to care about each other. TLR couldn't give a sh!t less.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #651 on: May 20, 2021, 10:16:53 AM »
TLR has not known a rule that cost his team a game, he’s thrown multiple players  under the bus (publicly), he’s left pitchers in when they’ve admitted postgame that they were past done...and it’s only May 20th. Those aren’t good things.

They’re not winning because of TLR, they are winning in spite of him. I enjoy being at the top of the standings, but I’ll be happy to be wrong if all of the above doesn’t catch up with the Sox.

I must not be expressing myself very clearly. 
I wrote that I thought it was a bad hire when it was made. I wrote last night that I'm not attributing the Sox's current success to LaRussa.
But it's pearl-clutching dramatics to come here screeching about what a "complete disaster" it is when the team is in first place ... especially when it's in first place (and yes, I keep hammering this point) minus its ENTIRE STARTING OUTFIELD.
And it's plain foolishness to be pining for the days of Terry Bevington and Rick Renteria.
Hey, I get it. LaRussa was an unpopular hire, and he's proving many of those critics correct ... and they're all falling over one another to be first to say "I told you so." Great. Who cares. First place.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #652 on: May 20, 2021, 10:36:05 AM »
I wrote that I thought it was a bad hire when it was made. I wrote last night that I'm not attributing the Sox's current success to LaRussa.
But it's pearl-clutching dramatics to come here screeching about what a "complete disaster" it is when the team is in first place ... especially when it's in first place (and yes, I keep hammering this point) minus its ENTIRE STARTING OUTFIELD.
And it's plain foolishness to be pining for the days of Terry Bevington and Rick Renteria.
Hey, I get it. LaRussa was an unpopular hire, and he's proving many of those critics correct ... and they're all falling over one another to be first to say "I told you so." Great. Who cares. First place.

To be fair, I'm not clamoring for Bevs or Renteria. My concern is that it's May 20th and these things add up during a grind of a season. If they were to lose 8 of 10 come August, does all the "stuff" from the early part of the season catch up to them and become a massive problem?

I said the other day how amazing it was that they were beating up the Twins without Robert, Jimenez, and Abreu (for half the Twins games).

All that said, I'm excited for the Yankees series, I think it'll be good for Cease to matchup with Cole.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #653 on: May 20, 2021, 10:40:20 AM »
You seem mad.
But also, I'm not sure I can trust the opinion of someone who would prefer Terry Bevington to a sack old socks.
If best record in the AL despite ridiculously bad injury luck = "complete disaster," then I hope every year is a complete disaster.

Not mad at all, and boy, you took the Terry Bevington thing too seriously.  The point was that Tony is terrible.  He has been the disaster, not the team.   

« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 10:52:54 AM by buckchuckler »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #654 on: May 20, 2021, 10:49:40 AM »

Boy, have  I learned my lesson with this board.  No more literary devices at all.  Only type things that are exactly as I mean them. 

And as I said, I wasn't one of the ones clamoring about how terrible the hire was at first.  I thought he would at least be competent with game management.  He hasn't been.  For me, this isn't an I told you so, its more of an "I was wrong."

And yeah, the team is good.  This team would be a playoff team with basically any manager at this point.  Glad TLR hasn't totally screwed that up.

Upon further review, maybe you're right though, and disaster isn't the right word.  Save that for the Twins.  Embarrassment?  Disgrace?  Maybe those are better.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 11:28:52 AM by buckchuckler »

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #655 on: May 20, 2021, 10:50:18 AM »
La Russa is playing with fire. All it takes is an extended losing streak for everything to blow up. And with Leury Garcia, Billy Hamilton, and Jake Lamb playing regularly, it's only a matter of time. The hire has been worse than expected and that is saying a lot.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #656 on: May 20, 2021, 02:15:57 PM »
I have seen some confusion with commentary regarding TLR. His game/past reputation is old school regarding behavior. It is not regarding baseball strategy.

His long time past reputation is old school when it comes to behavior. (“Hard 9” etc..) But this isn’t so regarding baseball strategy. He’s long been a tinkering, analytical manager before analytics were a thing. “Damage,” having power hitters bat 2nd, batting the pitcher 8th, all kinds of things. He was anything but old school with regard to baseball strategy. Dusty Baker would have been an example of someone that left pitchers in too long. TLR’s successor was also maligned at times for being too reactionary in his baseball strategy vs TLR approach.

More specifically, many of his pitching decisions were made by Dave Duncan for 28 years, (with input from the catcher.) Duncan’s approach was often different than some others out there during his time. Pitch to contact, limit pitches, pound bottom of zone with two seam fastballs, avoid extra base hits, exploit tendencies, first pitch strikes, breaking balls/off speed with runners on base. Many quick, endless, pitching changes based on matchups, and so on. (It isn’t surprising that Duncan’s son Shelley has an analytics role with the White Sox.)

« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 02:33:53 PM by shoothoops »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #657 on: May 20, 2021, 02:17:47 PM »
He also only knows the "old school" rules.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #658 on: May 20, 2021, 02:34:44 PM »
I have seen some confusion commentary regarding TLR. His game/past reputation is old school regarding behavior. It is not regarding baseball strategy.

His long time past reputation is old school when it comes to behavior. (“Hard 9” etc..) But this isn’t so regarding baseball strategy. He’s long been a tinkering, analytical manager before analytics were a thing. “Damage,” having power hitters bat 2nd, batting the pitcher 8th, all kinds of things. He was anything but old school with regard to baseball strategy. Dusty Baker would have been an example of someone that left pitchers in too long. TLR’s successor was maligned at times for being too reactionary in his baseball strategy vs TLR approach.

More specifically, many of his pitching decisions were made by Dave Duncan for 28 years, (with input from the catcher.) Duncan’s approach was often different than some others out there during his time. Pitch to contact, limit pitches, pound bottom of zone with two seam fastballs, avoid extra base hits, exploit tendencies, first pitch strikes, breaking balls/off speed with runners on base. Many quick, endless, pitching changes based on matchups, and so on. (It isn’t surprising that Duncan’s son Shelley has an analytics role with the White Sox.)

But if the rest of the league has caught up to...and passed him...with regards to baseball strategy, then what exactly does he bring to the table?  Especially when it seems like he may not fully understand how to manage a clubhouse that is younger and more diverse.

But what I don't understand foremost about the hire is that organizations should have a philosophy about how they approach the game strategically and tactically from the lower levels all the way to the top, with the manager of the major league club having a full understanding of that philosophy and how it is implemented at the major league level.

What's ironic about this is that the Cardinals of the LaRussa era are a GREAT example of how this should work. And I would argue that the Cardinals success has a lot more to do with this organization rather than LaRussa himself.  But I don't see how doing this made any sense given where the White Sox are now.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 02:46:53 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #659 on: May 20, 2021, 02:58:38 PM »

But if the rest of the league has caught up to...and passed him...with regards to baseball strategy, then what exactly does he bring to the table?  Especially when it seems like he may not fully understand how to manage a clubhouse that is younger and more diverse.

But what I don't understand foremost about the hire is that organizations should have a philosophy about how they approach the game strategically and tactically from the lower levels all the way to the top, with the manager of the major league club having a full understanding of that philosophy and how it is implemented at the major league level.

What's ironic about this is that the Cardinals of the LaRussa era are a GREAT example of how this should work. And I would argue that the Cardinals success has a lot more to do with this organization rather than LaRussa himself.  But I don't see how doing this made any sense given where the White Sox are now.

The GM put together the team and strategy, and the owner wanted to hire his buddy to coach.  That's the disconnect.  And as the owner, That's obviously his right, but the match was predictably rough, and we are seeing that play out right now.

WI_Inferiority_Complexes1

• Walk-On
« Reply #660 on: May 21, 2021, 08:37:53 AM »
It’s a shame that the Sox, who are playing this well, finally start to get mentioned on all the national outlets and all that can be discussed is their managerial rift.

The White Sox were mentioned on every “hot take” ESPN talking head show yesterday; not once was the fantastic starting rotation discussed.

The Sox host St. Louis on a national broadcast Monday night. Watch that game and see how badly TLR has commandeered the attention from this (finally) exciting team.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #661 on: May 21, 2021, 07:25:14 PM »
Willy Adames will fit in great with the brewers. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #662 on: May 21, 2021, 08:14:15 PM »
Why, duz hee hit a buck fifty, strike out lots, and leeve runners inn scorin' position, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #663 on: May 21, 2021, 08:26:51 PM »
I'm thinking with pitching dominating this year is a result of last year's super short season. 
With the limited season, the hitters timing is slightly off this year and with the extra rest the pitchers benefited and are a little stronger.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #664 on: May 21, 2021, 08:34:49 PM »
Why, duz hee hit a buck fifty, strike out lots, and leeve runners inn scorin' position, hey?
Pretty much yes

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #665 on: May 21, 2021, 08:50:00 PM »

Good trade for both teams. Iris’s may be the worst SS in baseball this year. They had to do something.

TB gets 2 decent relievers and an open spot for the highest rated player in years in the Minors.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #666 on: May 22, 2021, 06:42:13 PM »

He may be, but this is basically an admission that the Urias trade was a a giant f up. Adames is basically another bite at the apple of a high upside middle infielder. Higher floor than Urias because of the defense.

They need offense from somewhere, but this probably isn't it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #667 on: May 22, 2021, 08:24:10 PM »
He may be, but this is basically an admission that the Urias trade was a a giant f up. Adames is basically another bite at the apple of a high upside middle infielder. Higher floor than Urias because of the defense.

They need offense from somewhere, but this probably isn't it.

Urias trade was already bad.  This makes it worse.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #668 on: May 23, 2021, 12:20:40 AM »
Urias trade was already bad.  This makes it worse.

I'd rather have them attempt to fix it than do nothing.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #669 on: May 23, 2021, 07:50:47 AM »
I'd rather have them attempt to fix it than do nothing.

Agreed.

Stearns' track record has been pretty good, so a craptastic trade was bound to happen.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #670 on: May 27, 2021, 05:01:08 PM »
Javy Baez I’d going to get way too much credit for the stupidity of the pirates today, who should probably just disband.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #671 on: May 27, 2021, 05:18:49 PM »
Javy Baez I’d going to get way too much credit for the stupidity of the pirates today, who should probably just disband.

It was both a very stupid play by the Pirates, and a very astute play by Baez. Both can be true.  Most guys just half heartedly run through the tag there

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #672 on: May 27, 2021, 06:27:51 PM »
It was both a very stupid play by the Pirates, and a very astute play by Baez. Both can be true.  Most guys just half heartedly run through the tag there
all they had to do is take one step over to force out at first base or let him run all the way back to home plate or tag him. Any of those scenarios would not have scored a run.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #673 on: May 27, 2021, 06:45:23 PM »
This reminded me of playing football during lunch in high school.

There was a kid who whenever he scrambled past the line of scrimmage would still pump fake and more often then not would still get someone to bite and turn his head.

Now none of us were professional athletes but commit to something hard enough. Then, well, you have this play...

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #674 on: May 27, 2021, 07:47:27 PM »
I’ve coached Little League teams that were smarter than the Pirates’ players.

The shots of the Cubs’ dugout breaking out in laughter is one thing, but I guarantee they are laughing at the Pirates in every clubhouse around the league.

It couldn’t have been worse if the 1st baseman just turned around and ran into the Cubs bullpen holding the ball aloft in one hand.

The best bit of proof ever that revenue sharing only enriches the owners.