[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread  (Read 182779 times)

jficke13

• All American
Re: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread
« Reply #625 on: May 19, 2021, 12:29:28 PM »
Let me start with saying I have zero issue with guys taking their hacks in blowouts. The Tatis thing last year was also ridiculous.

Baseball is a sport that so heavily celebrates things like the 2,000 and 3,000 hit club. Or the 500+ homer club. But a guy isn't supposed to get a hit because his team is up 10?

I also think the way LaRussa and the Padres guy last year bus tossed their guys, was bad as well.

However, I did read that apparently a big part of the issue was Mercedes blatantly ignored a take sign and is playing it off with "thats just my playing style". Gotta be some accountability on the player in that situation, he gonna just blow off signs in a big october game?

So yeah, the unwritten rules are dumb and LaRussa media bagging his own guy is really dumb. But also appears LaRussa did have some reason to be ticked.

Sure, if that's the issue (which it obviously is not because it's clearly a La Russa unit swinging display and 'right way' nonsense display) then you give the player his medicine behind closed doors. Dragging him in public like this is unfathomably stupid. It's pure ego.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #626 on: May 19, 2021, 12:41:28 PM »
“I can’t believe LaRussa as Sox manager isn’t going well.”

-No one (except Bob Nightengale)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #627 on: May 19, 2021, 12:46:21 PM »

So yeah, the unwritten rules are dumb and LaRussa media bagging his own guy is really dumb. But also appears LaRussa did have some reason to be ticked.

There is no such thing as unwritten rules. If they WERE rules, they would be written down.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #628 on: May 19, 2021, 01:14:46 PM »
There is no such thing as unwritten rules. If they WERE rules, they would be written down.

Aw, shít, here come shoothoops with a dissertation now.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #629 on: May 19, 2021, 01:20:25 PM »

There actually is a such thing.

There is however, no such "guideline" stating that a "rule" must be written down.

Lastly, no idea why you even are telling me this. I said they are all dumb. Pretty clearly.

Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #630 on: May 19, 2021, 01:21:22 PM »
Unfounded conspiracy theory time!

La Russa is a Reinsdorf puppet, and Reinsdorf doesn't want to pony up more money for Mercedes' eventual arbitration hearing.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #631 on: May 19, 2021, 01:41:12 PM »

Good grief.  How long is his deal?  1 year... I hope I hope...

Man, I was hopeful that at least the basic strategy stuff would go better than it did with Ricky, but even that hasn't happened.  What a complete disaster.  Its amazing this team is where it is.  And its quite a testament to guys like Abreu, TA, Giolito, Keuchel and the other leaders on the team. 

Geesh, bring Ozzie back.  Please.  Or Ricky, or Terry freaking Bevington. 

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #632 on: May 19, 2021, 01:57:10 PM »
There actually is a such thing.

There is however, no such "guideline" stating that a "rule" must be written down.

Lastly, no idea why you even are telling me this. I said they are all dumb. Pretty clearly.

I was just expanding on what you said.

You, apparently would rather argue. See ya'.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #633 on: May 19, 2021, 02:00:44 PM »
I’ve never seen a no-hitter live, and I’ve been going to games my whole life.

That said, in 2021 a no-hitter is being tossed every 9.8 days. At some point, it has to no longer be “history making,” and get chalked up to simply a combination of awful offensive baseball and luck.

Let’s wait the entire season, or better yet another season or 3, before saying there is a definite trend that devalues no-hitters.

Heck, just a guy throwing a complete game seems like something from Walter Johnson’s time these days. To do so while not giving up a hit is still historic.

I’ve been lucky to see a few in person, including Buehrle’s perfecto, and I still enjoy getting to watch the final outs on TV, as in last night.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #634 on: May 19, 2021, 02:14:18 PM »
I was just expanding on what you said.

You, apparently would rather argue. See ya'.

I wanted no part of an argument.

Hence my statement that the rules themselves are dumb. But yeah, see ya'.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #635 on: May 19, 2021, 02:20:08 PM »
I’ve been lucky to see a few in person, including Buehrle’s perfecto, and I still enjoy getting to watch the final outs on TV, as in last night.

I was a big Nolan Ryan fan so when he was in Cleveland for the last time in August 1993, I decided to go down and hopefully see him get No. 8. Lofton led off for the Indians in the bottom of the first and laced one up the middle to break up the no-no. I was disappointed (although not surprised) but did turn out to see Ryan's final win in his career.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #636 on: May 19, 2021, 03:12:14 PM »
I was a big Nolan Ryan fan so when he was in Cleveland for the last time in August 1993, I decided to go down and hopefully see him get No. 8. Lofton led off for the Indians in the bottom of the first and laced one up the middle to break up the no-no. I was disappointed (although not surprised) but did turn out to see Ryan's final win in his career.

That’s really cool, a little slice of history. I loved watching Ryan pitch, and I’m enough of an old phart to remember him as a wild, young pitcher whom the Mets gave up on.

WI_Inferiority_Complexes1

• Walk-On
« Reply #637 on: May 19, 2021, 06:09:49 PM »
When Gerrit Cole struck out Joey Gallo last night, it was his 59th K without issuing a walk. Corbin Burnes record stood for 6 days.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #638 on: May 19, 2021, 09:19:40 PM »
No-hitter alert!

• Walk-On
« Reply #639 on: May 19, 2021, 09:29:06 PM »
No-hitter alert!
Wake up your kids.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #640 on: May 19, 2021, 09:31:55 PM »
Wake up your kids.

May never happen again.  ::)

• Walk-On
« Reply #641 on: May 19, 2021, 09:34:36 PM »
The fifth no-hitter of the season came on May 18. Household-name Spencer Turnbull of the Detroit Tigers blanked the Mariners.
The sixth no-hitter of the season came on May 19. History was made when Corey Kluber blanked the Rangers.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 08:36:38 AM by WI_Inferiority_Complexes1 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #642 on: May 19, 2021, 09:55:05 PM »
The sixth no-hitter of the season came on May 19. History was made when Corey Kluber blanked the Rangers.

Yes it was.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #643 on: May 19, 2021, 10:04:06 PM »
On Corey Kluber Rangers bobblhead night.  Cant script it any better

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #644 on: May 19, 2021, 10:59:00 PM »
Good grief.  How long is his deal?  1 year... I hope I hope...

Man, I was hopeful that at least the basic strategy stuff would go better than it did with Ricky, but even that hasn't happened.  What a complete disaster.  Its amazing this team is where it is.  And its quite a testament to guys like Abreu, TA, Giolito, Keuchel and the other leaders on the team. 

Geesh, bring Ozzie back.  Please.  Or Ricky, or Terry freaking Bevington. 

I mean, the Sox do have the best record in baseball, despite  their starting outfielders missing 98 of 123 possible games. There's been a lot of unnecessary noise from LaRussa, and I'm not attributing much of the team's success to him, but things seem to be going OK, you know? Phrases like "complete disaster" and "isn't going well" don't seem to jibe with the results.

And buckchuckler ... with all due respect, please punch yourself in the dick the next time you  think bringing back any of those guys might be a good idea.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #645 on: May 20, 2021, 08:59:26 AM »
I mean, the Sox do have the best record in baseball, despite  their starting outfielders missing 98 of 123 possible games. There's been a lot of unnecessary noise from LaRussa, and I'm not attributing much of the team's success to him, but things seem to be going OK, you know? Phrases like "complete disaster" and "isn't going well" don't seem to jibe with the results.

And buckchuckler ... with all due respect, please punch yourself in the dick the next time you  think bringing back any of those guys might be a good idea.

OK, lets see, so, he is hired by the owner, without the support from the GM, after going what, 10 years with out managing? Doesn't seem great.  Then we learn he was hired just after a DUI, which the team knew about.  Then he tried to get out of the DUI because he is a "hall of fame baseball person".  I think we are officially in bad territory.  Then he directly contributes to his team losing because he doesn't know the rules, which he learned from a reporter after the game.  Despite the David Bell, the other team's manager saying "The league made it really clear that it was going to be a new rule in spring training,".  Ok that seems like really bad.  Then he calls out one of his players for hitting a home run.  That's just weird.  Then, he supports the other team not only being upset they gave up a run with a DH pitching, but he is supportive of them throwing at his player, who hit a home run. 
How is that not a complete disaster?  Yeah the team has done well, but I would say that is in spite of Tony, not because of him.  Maybe he is a magician behind the scenes or whatever, but it isn't readily apparent.  That's for sure.  The thing that has kept this team rolling is the pitching, which I think many attribute to Ethan Katz, who Tony didn't want to hire (That's right, he wanted Dave Duncan back, but he wanted to stay retired).  Katz, was from all reports I saw, Hahn's hire. 
I'd like to see what you have on the other side of the ledger that makes him a less than a disaster.  And I left out weird, but subjective, game decisions completely.  Honestly, I didn't hate the hire at the time, I didn't love it, but I wasn't one of the people that thought it was horrendous.  But now, man.  It looks terrible.  There probably isn't a manager in baseball that couldn't have this team about where they are now, and I believe most would have them with a better record, as I believe Tony has cost them games. 
TLR is the only guy that could spout off about unwritten rules, while at the same time not knowing the actual rules.  Its an embarrassment.  And if you think otherwise, it is your dick that needs punching. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #646 on: May 20, 2021, 09:22:21 AM »

Am I missing something? I think the SF Giants have the best record so far.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #647 on: May 20, 2021, 09:47:00 AM »
Am I missing something? I think the SF Giants have the best record so far.

Yes, the Giants went up by .009 percentage points with their win last night.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #648 on: May 20, 2021, 09:47:51 AM »
OK, lets see, so, he is hired by the owner, without the support from the GM, after going what, 10 years with out managing? Doesn't seem great.  Then we learn he was hired just after a DUI, which the team knew about.  Then he tried to get out of the DUI because he is a "hall of fame baseball person".  I think we are officially in bad territory.  Then he directly contributes to his team losing because he doesn't know the rules, which he learned from a reporter after the game.  Despite the David Bell, the other team's manager saying "The league made it really clear that it was going to be a new rule in spring training,".  Ok that seems like really bad.  Then he calls out one of his players for hitting a home run.  That's just weird.  Then, he supports the other team not only being upset they gave up a run with a DH pitching, but he is supportive of them throwing at his player, who hit a home run. 
How is that not a complete disaster?  Yeah the team has done well, but I would say that is in spite of Tony, not because of him.  Maybe he is a magician behind the scenes or whatever, but it isn't readily apparent.  That's for sure.  The thing that has kept this team rolling is the pitching, which I think many attribute to Ethan Katz, who Tony didn't want to hire (That's right, he wanted Dave Duncan back, but he wanted to stay retired).  Katz, was from all reports I saw, Hahn's hire. 
I'd like to see what you have on the other side of the ledger that makes him a less than a disaster.  And I left out weird, but subjective, game decisions completely.  Honestly, I didn't hate the hire at the time, I didn't love it, but I wasn't one of the people that thought it was horrendous.  But now, man.  It looks terrible.  There probably isn't a manager in baseball that couldn't have this team about where they are now, and I believe most would have them with a better record, as I believe Tony has cost them games. 
TLR is the only guy that could spout off about unwritten rules, while at the same time not knowing the actual rules.  Its an embarrassment.  And if you think otherwise, it is your dick that needs punching.

You seem mad.
But also, I'm not sure I can trust the opinion of someone who would prefer Terry Bevington to a sack old socks.
If best record in the AL despite ridiculously bad injury luck = "complete disaster," then I hope every year is a complete disaster.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 09:50:14 AM by Pakuni »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #649 on: May 20, 2021, 10:04:29 AM »

TLR has not known a rule that cost his team a game, he’s thrown multiple players  under the bus (publicly), he’s left pitchers in when they’ve admitted postgame that they were past done...and it’s only May 20th. Those aren’t good things.

They’re not winning because of TLR, they are winning in spite of him. I enjoy being at the top of the standings, but I’ll be happy to be wrong if all of the above doesn’t catch up with the Sox.

feedback