[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread  (Read 182873 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread
« Reply #225 on: April 05, 2021, 08:47:54 PM »
don't...don't don't don't don't

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #226 on: April 05, 2021, 10:36:57 PM »
kudos to Molina but like George Anderson said after sweeping the Yankees in the 76 series: "Don't embarrass another ballplayer by trying to compare him to Johnny bench".

There is not one thing that Molina does better than Bench.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #227 on: April 05, 2021, 10:46:46 PM »
There is not one thing that Molina does better than Bench.

I can think of one: Yadi has been more durable and therefore able to play catcher even as an old man.

I really like Yadi as a ballplayer, but only people who never saw Johnny Bench play would mention Yadi in the same breath.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #228 on: April 05, 2021, 11:00:28 PM »
I can think of one: Yadi has been more durable and therefore able to play catcher even as an old man.

I really like Yadi as a ballplayer, but only people who never saw Johnny Bench play would mention Yadi in the same breath.

Yadier Molina and Johnny Bench have played the same number of seasons, 17.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #229 on: April 05, 2021, 11:12:11 PM »
Fernando Tatis, Jr. went down tonight with what looked like a wrist injury after a swing and a miss. Looked bad.

Re Yadier Molina - very good player with longevity that aids his legacy. Not remotely close to Johnny Bench, though.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #230 on: April 05, 2021, 11:16:47 PM »
Yadier Molina and Johnny Bench have played the same number of seasons, 17.

As a 30-year-old, Bench caught only 107 games. At 31, he caught 126. At 32, he caught 105. And then, at age 33, he became an infielder, appearing as a catcher in only 13 more games for the rest of his career.

At 33, Molina caught 147 games and received MVP votes. At 34, Molina caught 136 games and was an All-Star. At 35, Molina caught 123 games and won the NL Gold Glove.

At 36, Molina caught 113 regular-season games and 9 more in the postseason. At 36, Bench was retired.

I stand by my point.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #231 on: April 05, 2021, 11:17:56 PM »
JB really wore down during his later years. It might sound stupid talking about the greatest catcher who ever lived but I wonder what numbers he would have put up if he had played another position. Wonder the same thing about Posey.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #232 on: April 05, 2021, 11:22:46 PM »
JB really wore down during his later years. It might sound stupid talking about the greatest catcher who ever lived but I wonder what numbers he would have put up if he had played another position. Wonder the same thing about Posey.

Happens to a lot of catchers. Munson was playing in the outfield and infield near the end of his career (and life). Joe Mauer couldn't catch any more and became a bad, incredibly overpaid first baseman. Etc. It's amazing that guys like Fisk, Boone and Molina could still play catcher so late in their careers.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #233 on: April 05, 2021, 11:32:52 PM »
If I had a younger catcher who could hit I'd give him  a first baseman's mitt and tell him to take some grounders. Let Del Crandall, Jerry Grote , and Joe Girardi go behind the plate and run things. Put your big hitters some place where they're not going to get banged up.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #234 on: April 05, 2021, 11:47:12 PM »
Happens to a lot of catchers. Munson was playing in the outfield and infield near the end of his career (and life). Joe Mauer couldn't catch any more and became a bad, incredibly overpaid first baseman. Etc. It's amazing that guys like Fisk, Boone and Molina could still play catcher so late in their careers.

Mauer actually had a decent year in 2016 and then a really nice year in 2017 on his way out, but he was paid like an MVP candidate for 7-8 years after he stopped being one.  Those seasons in 2014 and 2015 were brutal, especially given how good he was from 2008-2013

MU82

• All American
« Reply #235 on: April 06, 2021, 12:10:21 AM »
Mauer actually had a decent year in 2016 and then a really nice year in 2017 on his way out, but he was paid like an MVP candidate for 7-8 years after he stopped being one.  Those seasons in 2014 and 2015 were brutal, especially given how good he was from 2008-2013

Yeah, and I don't blame Mauer. Or the Twins, really. What choice did they have? He was a stud who had an especially amazing season in his walk year. He was a hometown boy. The Twins HAD to keep him. And while it sounds crazy, he actually did give the Twins a pretty good discount. Injuries suck. I enjoyed watching him play when he was healthy.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #236 on: April 06, 2021, 06:05:58 AM »
I'd like to unsubscribe to yadi molina daily facts.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #237 on: April 06, 2021, 07:36:07 AM »
As a 30-year-old, Bench caught only 107 games. At 31, he caught 126. At 32, he caught 105. And then, at age 33, he became an infielder, appearing as a catcher in only 13 more games for the rest of his career.

At 33, Molina caught 147 games and received MVP votes. At 34, Molina caught 136 games and was an All-Star. At 35, Molina caught 123 games and won the NL Gold Glove.

At 36, Molina caught 113 regular-season games and 9 more in the postseason. At 36, Bench was retired.

I stand by my point.

It's easier to hit when one isn't catching. And, being able to play at high or higher level is something to be celebrated. Do you say Sampras would have won more Grand Slams in tennis had he played longer? I haven't seen it. Instead what players in their 30's such as Nadal, whom you like, can do is celebrated as they get older in their careers. There is no asterisk there. That's part ot sports. Players of one generation aren't better than another or worse because they don't get to play under the same circumstances. One can be the best or one of the best in one's era.

As you are aware, I don't compare eras. i don't do it in basketball, tennis, soccer, football, baseball, any sport, because all players can't play in all eras under the same circumstances.

Johnny Bench was a great player in his era, as was Molina in his. Bench has often praised Molina, and was quick to offer congratulations when Molina reached his innings caught milestone in 2018.

As for the original part of the discussion, in sports, or in life, if you woof at someone, (and put your hands on them or near them) be prepared for that person or those people to respond and take you up on it.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 08:18:26 AM by shoothoops »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #238 on: April 06, 2021, 08:15:43 AM »
How would Jonathan Lucroy have fared if he were moved to the infield earlier?  I think quite well.  Now I believe he is out of baseball, less than five years after being hot trade property.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #239 on: April 06, 2021, 08:33:29 AM »
Yadier Molina couldn’t hold Bench’s jock
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #240 on: April 06, 2021, 10:22:29 AM »
So, it sounds like the main point in this discussion is that Molina has been a douch@ for a really long time.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #241 on: April 06, 2021, 11:26:52 AM »
Yadier Molina couldn’t hold Bench’s jock

I don’t believe he’d want to as that sounds unpleasant.

Let’s see, Brewers or Cubs? I will guess Brewers.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #242 on: April 06, 2021, 11:29:59 AM »
A little nervous about the start for the Brewers. Hiura looks like he has a hole in his bat.

Seems to be same issues that plagued them last year. Lots of strikeouts and too many innings of not putting pressure on the starting pitcher. Obviously, it’s incredibly early, but not a great start.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #243 on: April 06, 2021, 11:56:00 AM »
How would Jonathan Lucroy have fared if he were moved to the infield earlier?  I think quite well.  Now I believe he is out of baseball, less than five years after being hot trade property.

Nats due to the virus.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/nationals-jonathan-lucroy-could-start-tuesday/amp/

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #244 on: April 06, 2021, 12:17:04 PM »
Brewers reportedly dealing Arcia to the Braves. Haven't seen exactly what the terms are but there's one reporter tweeting that they got two pitchers in return. Interesting move, wouldn't have figured stockpiling arms on a team that can't hit would be the play, but <shrug> what do I know.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #245 on: April 06, 2021, 12:27:28 PM »
Brewers reportedly dealing Arcia to the Braves. Haven't seen exactly what the terms are but there's one reporter tweeting that they got two pitchers in return. Interesting move, wouldn't have figured stockpiling arms on a team that can't hit would be the play, but <shrug> what do I know.

Maybe the pitchers are an upgrade with the bat.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #246 on: April 06, 2021, 12:32:25 PM »
I don’t believe he’d want to as that sounds unpleasant.

Let’s see, Brewers or Cubs? I will guess Brewers.

Molina has a career WAR of 40, Bench has 75.  Molina is 24th all-time. 

He’s had a truly great career and one of the Cardinals greats.  No one, and I mean no one whose opinion matters would ever take or even remotely consider taking Molina over Johnny Bench
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #247 on: April 06, 2021, 01:40:34 PM »
Molina has a career WAR of 40, Bench has 75.  Molina is 24th all-time. 

He’s had a truly great career and one of the Cardinals greats.  No one, and I mean no one whose opinion matters would ever take or even remotely consider taking Molina over Johnny Bench

Actually, Molina has a 54.5 WAR (Fangraphs)  See the difference there. And, WAR is not a be all end all stat, especially so with catchers Many things are not included in catcher WAR such as pitch framing game management, and several other things. The fielding component of catcher WAR is compromised of two things: 1) Stolen Base runs saved 2) Runs saved from past pitches. That's it. Catcher WAR is the least precise of any position.

For example, runners not stealing isn't going to show up in Molina's WAR. There have been about 450 less attempts to steal vs Molina than any other team. (450 is the difference between the next best team) And so on, to go along with lowest stealing % and fewest stolen bases. And that's just one category.

As I stated before, I don't compare players or teama of different eras, because all players can't play in all eras at the same time.

But if you do find yourself in a discussion with someone else, you may want to be more thorough than throwing out a catcher WAR stat.

You could have simply said "Brewers."

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #248 on: April 06, 2021, 01:44:22 PM »

A bad hitter. Not real good defensively. Getting 2 power arms (bullpen guys) is probably more than could be expected.

Probably won't make a difference one way or the other.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #249 on: April 06, 2021, 01:47:40 PM »
I hope we can all find us someone who looks at us the same way shoothoops looks at Molina.

feedback