collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Who is your favorite guitarist of all time?

Jimi Hendrix
4 (7.4%)
Jimmy Page
4 (7.4%)
Eddie Van Halen
4 (7.4%)
Prince
3 (5.6%)
Eric Clapton
6 (11.1%)
John Mayer
2 (3.7%)
Brian May
0 (0%)
BB King
2 (3.7%)
David Gilmour
3 (5.6%)
Someone else
26 (48.1%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Favorite Guitarist of all time  (Read 20003 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Favorite Guitarist of all time
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2021, 05:21:11 PM »
If you're going that genre, I'd put Chet Atkins and Roy Clark well ahead of Glen.

I'll disagree.  Glen had serious chops.

https://youtu.be/ETkzK9pXMio

https://youtu.be/e9LAaNyhw2Y

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2021, 05:27:26 PM »
Angus got all of the attention for his looks and riffs, but Malcolm was the driver in the band. One of the best rhythm players ever.

Agreed

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2021, 06:04:45 PM »
I'll disagree.  Glen had serious chops.

https://youtu.be/ETkzK9pXMio

https://youtu.be/e9LAaNyhw2Y

My post wasn’t meant to denigrate Glen. He was great.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2021, 06:13:21 PM »
My post wasn’t meant to denigrate Glen. He was great.

Yeah I know, its okay to disagree  :o

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2021, 06:37:04 PM »
Damnit, I hate when I find common ground with you.

Fahrenheit, Eye'm pretty sure wee could hang together and bee like bros., aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2021, 06:57:46 PM »
Listening to Sirius today reminded me of one of the greats: Mike Campbell

Thanks, you inspired me to listen to Full Moon Fever during my workout today. 

And a cool story I heard about Mike, the solo at the end of Runnin' Down a Dream, wasn't supposed to be like that, but when they were recording he jus went crazy and every one was just like, ok, lets run with this and keep rolling.  And I think the result is the best solo on any Petty song. 

StateStreetMission

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2021, 07:10:58 PM »
Curious to know if any of you know the work of Peter Green?

Don’t expect him to have been anyone favorite as the original poster asked, but was quite a remarkable talent.
Serious mental health issues cut him off in his prime.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2021, 07:36:12 PM »
Hahaha.  I love that response and just may steal it.  Hah.  I'm getting a telecaster, nothing too crazy or anything but I've never had a Fender so I'm pretty excited about it.  But Fender, after nearly having to declare bankruptcy,  had a record year in 2020, so now everything is backordered like crazy.   Which overall, is a really good thing.  I'm just impatient hahah. 

Can't wait to plug her in and bastardize some Zeppelin tunes.

Good for you. Telecaster is nice, especially for those who like to play blues tunes and are reasonably priced.  I have played some Strats over the years, but just for fun/testing out.  The pandemic actually helped guitar sales in view of the fact people were at home and wanted to start something new. 

Did you buy a smaller 10 watt amplifier or go abit larger? 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2021, 07:41:17 PM »

Don’t expect him to have been anyone favorite as the original poster asked, but was quite a remarkable talent.

Peter Green is who I was referencing when I made my Fleetwood Mac comment earlier.  He's awesome.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2021, 07:45:47 PM »

I had all the early Fleetwood Mac albums. Stopped buying when Bob Welch joined.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2021, 07:45:52 PM »
Good for you. Telecaster is nice, especially for those who like to play blues tunes and are reasonably priced.  I have played some Strats over the years, but just for fun/testing out.  The pandemic actually helped guitar sales in view of the fact people were at home and wanted to start something new. 

Did you buy a smaller 10 watt amplifier or go abit larger?

Yeah, and bluesy stuff is what I like playing most.  Its got a nice relic-ish finish to it that  lets some if the woodgrain show through, really cool.
I didnt buy an amp, I have a couple other electrics (a Les Paul and a Firebird) I have a little Marshall practice amp, and a Crate you could hear in New Jersey, I think you'd appreciate it 10/10.

What do you other guys play?

nyg

• All American
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2021, 07:49:04 PM »
Angus got all of the attention for his looks and riffs, but Malcolm was the driver in the band. One of the best rhythm players ever.

Now you are talking.  Malcolm Young was one of the best rhythm players and actually wrote many of the opening riffs/power chords for the band.  Hells Bells opening, oh my...play it loud.  Malcolm was only 5 ft 3 and played a Gretsch G6131 guitar, which is huge and heavy.  If you google him and look at images, the guitar overwhelms him.  The guitar was buried with him in his coffin.

Angus Young was 5ft 2 and has played a Gibson SG his entire career.  That is one of the lighest guitars and he would have played a Les Paul, but has said they were too heavy.

Saw AC/DC many times and was shocked at their heights, Malcom, Angus and Brian Johnston (5ft 5) out front.

aands86

• Walk-On
« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2021, 07:58:20 PM »
Duane Allman needs to be mentioned.  He'd be my guy, though I'm not the music buff many of you are.

Agreed. Everyone should listen to the last two tracks of "Live at Filmore East" before voting.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2021, 08:03:32 PM »
Agreed. Everyone should listen to the last two tracks of "Live at Filmore East" before voting.

I would, except I wore those 2albums out a long time ago.

aands86

• Walk-On
« Reply #114 on: January 15, 2021, 08:10:53 PM »
I would, except I wore those 2albums out a long time ago.

ITunes will reward you.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 15, 2021, 08:11:37 PM »
Listening to Sirius today reminded me of one of the greats: Mike Campbell

I didn’t realize that Campbell and Neil Finn replaced Buckingham in Fleetwood Mac

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 15, 2021, 08:12:53 PM »

Warren Haynes is another great player that played with the Allman Brothers Band, then went on to found Govt Mule as well as do some solo stuff.  Great player.

As far as the rhythm players go, James Hetfield is the absolute man in my book. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 15, 2021, 08:13:47 PM »

I think he wrote some other song that EC gets a lot of credit for too...

nyg

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2021, 08:25:40 PM »
Yeah, and bluesy stuff is what I like playing most.  Its got a nice relic-ish finish to it that  lets some if the woodgrain show through, really cool.
I didnt buy an amp, I have a couple other electrics (a Les Paul and a Firebird) I have a little Marshall practice amp, and a Crate you could hear in New Jersey, I think you'd appreciate it 10/10.

What do you other guys play?

I have a small 100w amp for practice in home, but usually plug in headphones for wife's mental health.  The big boy sound stuff is in an air conditioned storage unit.

I play Gibson Les Pauls and I have a bunch over the years.  Few years ago, Gibson came out with a 60th anniversary edition of "The Burst", so I splurged.  Custom 1959 Les Paul Standard Reissue, Iced Tea Burst color. 

I have three Marshall JCM900 100Watt tube amps and six Marshall 1960BVs 4x12 280 watt cabinets.  And many other pedals toys. 

aands86

• Walk-On
« Reply #119 on: January 15, 2021, 08:29:36 PM »

I could be wrong but I don't think Duane wrote anything other than "Little Martha"
Gregg wrote most of the early original material, Dickie Betts a lot of the later stuff.
A lot of old blues covers got their early live popularity.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2021, 08:36:02 PM »
Since someone mentioned Lindsey Buckingham, he does not use a guitar pick.  He plays in "flamenco" style using just his fingers.  Robby Kreiger same thing in majority of his songs. 

Others mentioned country stars.  I don't like country music and my friend had a free ticket to a Brad Paisley concert, so I went kicking and screaming anyway.  During the show, he interacted with the crowd and started playing heavy metal guitar licks covers, such as Van Halen's Panama.  My goodness he hit every, single note and I was seriously impressed.  I guess he does that often in his concerts, just like the Zach Brown Band.  You can just never tell, so many good players out there.

aands86

• Walk-On
« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2021, 08:40:26 PM »

Sorry, Missed the Layla reference....

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2021, 09:13:01 PM »
Warren Haynes is another great player that played with the Allman Brothers Band, then went on to found Govt Mule as well as do some solo stuff.  Great player.

I love Warren and have seen him many times but he wasn’t even the best guitar player in the Allman Brothers the last 20 years or so. That honor would go to Derrick Trucks
Bring back FFP!!!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #123 on: January 15, 2021, 10:13:30 PM »

Hetfield is almost cheating. He’s a lead guitarist who plays rhythm cause he happens to sing and his bandmate on lead is an insane virtuoso

Others mentioned country stars.  I don't like country music and my friend had a free ticket to a Brad Paisley concert, so I went kicking and screaming anyway.  During the show, he interacted with the crowd and started playing heavy metal guitar licks covers, such as Van Halen's Panama.  My goodness he hit every, single note and I was seriously impressed.  I guess he does that often in his concerts, just like the Zach Brown Band.  You can just never tell, so many good players out there.

Paisley is an absolutely filthy guitarist. You could drop him in any rock or metal band and he’d fit without missing a beat. My buddy sent me a video of him at a concert finger tapping an insane solo.

Keith Urban can actually shred too, but his music is so unappealing to me that I wouldn’t even get close to listening to it

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #124 on: January 15, 2021, 10:21:56 PM »

Hetfield is the MJ of rhythm players. And of down picking.